Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
YoloinOhio

EJ Manuel Retires from NFL

Recommended Posts

EJ was just the most low confidence zero heart guy ever.  high wonderlick, physical gifts, jimbo fisher coached FSU QB, drafted in the first round, had some decent talent at WR brought in to help him out, but he just couldn't help but suck.  he made kyle orton look like brett favre out there.

 

He is the opposite world Freddie jackson, who would take anything on the chin and come back, and performed with a ton of heart. 

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I was waiting for this response. I and so many other fans feel vindicated today. The never ending threads and arguments about his playing time “he hasn’t had a full 16 games yet (in year 3)”, “if it wasn’t for the slippery mat, he wouldn’t have been thrown to the wolves”, “he’s smart with the football and is threat to run” and many other excuses for a mid 1st Rd pick that simply sucked. The arguments were endless because ‘my kind’ saw very early on he just doesn’t have ‘it’. The last road game I attended was his shartshow against the Texans where he singlehandedly refused to win, giving the game to the Texans. Marone benched him the following game for Orton and EJ was finished. Should have retired that day. 

what part of "somewhat a victim of circumstance" translates to franchise QB? If you think playing for Marrone and Hacket is not a bit of a circumstance for a QB we will have to disagree. The guy was decent his first year, made rookie mistakes sure..and then was .500 in his second year and gets benched. Orton comes in a goes 1 game over 500 with the same group..and wins with D just like EJ did.

 

And with certainty, EJ had one of the worst 5-minute stretches of football ever played by an NFL QB in London...but had the team in the lead with 4 minutes to play. That was basically his last action in the NFL

 

I don't think EJ was ever going to be a quality starting QB in this league..but he is a damn site better than i would think then half the backups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marrone and Hacket were idiots they way they handled the offense during EJ's rookie season.  

 

What idiot runs a Hurry Up Offense with a "Raw" Rookie then departs from it when a veteran comes in when the rookie got hurt only to return to it when EJ came back repeat one more cycle.  

 

Wait ...  I already gave the answer  Dagnabbit!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember being pretty caremad that we didn't draft Tebow.  As an Alabama fan i'd watch him own the crimson tide and thought that would translate well into the pros.

 

I'm somewhat relieved to realize now these many years later that it made absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Augie said:

 

If you’re willing to trade, you might get 10 Fisher jerseys for it? 

 

Or 3 Da'Rick Rogers jerseys ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best of everything going forward EJ. You gave it your all and handled it with grace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Chris from Rochester said:

 

Or 3 Da'Rick Rogers jerseys ;)

 

I'm going to build a shrine in my man cave, and I want one of those Da'Rick jerseys as my centerpiece.  It's a monument to low achievement and out of control hype cycle.

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EJ was an OK QB. Just not a franchise QB. Being a 1st round pick pretty much ruined his chances, as people wanted him to be more then he was(including myself), which just wasn't possible. I really disliked his Peterman comments, which to me lacked class. But wish him the best in his next adventures. Go Bills!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Nick the Greek said:

EJ Manuel.. gone but not forgotten.

 

 

 

Well, ya but it’s early. Give me till Thursday. He’ll be forgotten by then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

 

Watching this gives me cold shivers of what we've suffered through as a fanbase under previous regimes...

 

They made a bad decision in Manuel. He was a bad quarterback any way you slice it. Looking at his game at FSU, I never got the signing and don't understand how people who make it their living can make decisions that to so many are so obviously bad. Rex Ryan's brother? Seriously?

 

But let's not forget that the current regime trotted out Nathan Peterman multiple times last year--he has one of the highest INT rates in the history of the game--and actually thought he'd carry the team over. We also sat through Kelvin Benjamin, Mike Tolbert, etc. For all the good decisions they (appear to have) made this year, there are some serious head-scratchers not to mention more blowouts than I've ever seen. Having said that, I do believe they are primed for a playoff push this year. Most solid team I've seen in years. 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Augie said:

 

No, that’s Travis Henry. He’s related to....almost everybody. 

 

 

I think. I could be wrong.....   😋

 

Bruce is his godfather, I believe. EJ's dad and Bruce are like lifelong best buds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EJ Manuel and CJ Spiller to me are cautionary tales about picking athletes instead of football players high in the draft.  Both guys were phenomenal athletes but both could not grasp the complexity of the game of football.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

 

Watching this gives me cold shivers of what we've suffered through as a fanbase under previous regimes...

 

 

 

Well at least he go one part of it right where he said in 3 yrs he would be saying "hey guys you got a job for me" !! 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, colin said:

EJ was just the most low confidence zero heart guy ever.  high wonderlick, physical gifts, jimbo fisher coached FSU QB, drafted in the first round, had some decent talent at WR brought in to help him out, but he just couldn't help but suck.  he made kyle orton look like brett favre out there.

 

He is the opposite world Freddie jackson, who would take anything on the chin and come back, and performed with a ton of heart. 

 

There was a scouting report I read on him shortly after he was drafted and it made a really good argument on one of his main flaws. It said that the person he trusts the most on the field is himself. Meaning, when things break down or don't go as planned, odds are he's just going to run. Never seemed able to toss up a 50/50 ball and trust that the receiver would come down with it. He seemed to always play hesitant and overly-cautious.

 

It didn't help at all having Doug Marrone and Nate Hackett constantly telling him, "Hey, if the throw isn't there just run, three yards and cloud of dust because we coach football like it's 1978!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

what part of "somewhat a victim of circumstance" translates to franchise QB? If you think playing for Marrone and Hacket is not a bit of a circumstance for a QB we will have to disagree. The guy was decent his first year, made rookie mistakes sure..and then was .500 in his second year and gets benched. Orton comes in a goes 1 game over 500 with the same group..and wins with D just like EJ did.

 

And with certainty, EJ had one of the worst 5-minute stretches of football ever played by an NFL QB in London...but had the team in the lead with 4 minutes to play. That was basically his last action in the NFL

 

I don't think EJ was ever going to be a quality starting QB in this league..but he is a damn site better than i would think then half the backups.

 

Didn't EJ start a late season game against Jets in 2017?   He was so bad that he got benched for Cardale Jones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will remember EJ as an exemplary teammate who tried his best under difficult circumstances and demonstrated strong character.

 

But mostly I will remember a visor wearing, locker room cancer, with disgusting body language.  Not a leader of men.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

 

Didn't EJ start a late season game against Jets in 2017?   He was so bad that he got benched for Cardale Jones.

arhh..yes you are prolly right. The game Rex refused to bench Taylor( with his $18M injury guarantee and sore knee)  gets fired, and we get the Whaley presser that doomed him to0!!!

 

Did Cardale stick with the Chargers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Marrone and Hacket were idiots they way they handled the offense during EJ's rookie season.  

 

What idiot runs a Hurry Up Offense with a "Raw" Rookie then departs from it when a veteran comes in when the rookie got hurt only to return to it when EJ came back repeat one more cycle.  

 

Wait ...  I already gave the answer  Dagnabbit!!! 

 

Not to mention, Hackett was a rookie OC who (along with Marrone) eschewed hiring a QB coach for that raw 1st round rookie, who was backed up by journeyman Thad Lewis and UDFA rookie Jeff Tuel.   

 

31 minutes ago, dpberr said:

EJ Manuel and CJ Spiller to me are cautionary tales about picking athletes instead of football players high in the draft.  Both guys were phenomenal athletes but both could not grasp the complexity of the game of football.

 

The college game has a lot to do with players not being ready for the NFL. 

 

Someone mentioned above that EJ really only trusted himself on the field.  It showed when he wouldn't throw receivers open and looked mainly for point targets.  That works in the college game sometimes and with superior talent.  Not so much in the NFL. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

arhh..yes you are prolly right. The game Rex refused to bench Taylor( with his $18M injury guarantee and sore knee)  gets fired, and we get the Whaley presser that doomed him to0!!!

 

Did Cardale stick with the Chargers?

He’s on the practice squad

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I have to say to this is, thanks a LOT Buddy Nix!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, prissythecat said:

Why do you think EJ retired?   I seem to recall reading here that the genius that is Andy Reid would finally unlock EJ's vast potential .

 

I looked at KCs roster yesterday and before EJ retired they had 6 QBs on it.

I don't think they had a lot of confidence in him and he probably didn't think he would make the team.

 

Wish EJ the best but I was done with him after the 2nd year.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

All I have to say to this is, thanks a LOT Buddy Nix!

Ever wonder what would have happened if Nix does not get pranked and recorded? Maybe EJ still gets drafted, but Fitz doesn't get cut, Fitz outplays him.....and???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...