EJ Manuel Retires from NFL

3 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Actually, dips like this are the times when smart people buy.  For every "Chicken Little" running around saying the sky is falling, guys like Warren Buffet pull out the check book and take advantage of low prices.

I'm glad EJ is hanging them up.  He was a decent guy but a pitiful QB.

So what did you, Buffet, and the rest of the smart money pick up today on the cheap?

• Haha (+1) 1

It wasn't Manuel's fault the Bills drafted him way too high.  It wasn't Manuel's fault the Bills never acquired a decent QB after the Flutie-Johnson fiasco burned out.  It wasn't his fault he didn't have a stable coaching situation.  It wasn't his fault he was drafted by the Bills in one of their looooong periods of mediocrity in between bursts of competence.  

He is a smart man who has an intact body and a small (not that small) fortune in the bank.  The only thing that might change if he stuck around for another year would be that his body might be broken.  Why not leave now?

Good luck in your future, EJ..

• Like (+1) 1

My lasting memory of him will be a play where he rolls out to the right and Charles Clay is running parallel to him 5 yards away. EJ pumps once, still holds onto the ball, and then throws it into the ground.

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I share your thoughts! I always liked EJ..somewhat a victim of circumstance

I was waiting for this response. I and so many other fans feel vindicated today. The never ending threads and arguments about his playing time “he hasn’t had a full 16 games yet (in year 3)”, “if it wasn’t for the slippery mat, he wouldn’t have been thrown to the wolves”, “he’s smart with the football and is threat to run” and many other excuses for a mid 1st Rd pick that simply sucked. The arguments were endless because ‘my kind’ saw very early on he just doesn’t have ‘it’. The last road game I attended was his shartshow against the Texans where he singlehandedly refused to win, giving the game to the Texans. Marone benched him the following game for Orton and EJ was finished. Should have retired that day. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, ColeB said:

My lasting memory of him will be a play where he rolls out to the right and Charles Clay is running parallel to him 5 yards away. EJ pumps once, still holds onto the ball, and then throws it into the ground.

That play told me it was over, long before that final INT.  EJ had his moments, like the Carolina game and the Bears game.  Before Fred stiff armed Conte, EJ threw a rope on a TE seam pass on 4th and twenty to keep that drive going.  It crashed in London, but the "what if" they don't call the phantom PI on Nuke...  Could of, woulda of, should of [sic].

10 hours ago, Augie said:

I wish him nothing but the best! Hoping he made enough in his years in the league to set him up well early in life. By all accounts a fine young man. 

He earned $9 875,300 during his career.   He should be set for life financially.  A little over $8,880,000 came from the Bills.

Edited by longtimebillsfan

10 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

All things considered, easily one of the top 5 busts in Bills history. Absolutely sucked the life out of this team. This guy made me like Thad Lewis. Never got better from his first game. Other then Tebow he probably had the worst mechanics and footwork of any QB ever taken in the first round. The guy was defended with relentlessly on the BBMB. Nobody is saying he was a bad guy. He just was severely overdraft and then never did anything to get better. 

Equally, he was handled badly. When you've got a guy with bad mechanics, do what KC did. Make him do mechanics drills till he drops. And when he gets up again, make him do more. Don't let him near a game till it's part of muscle memory. No one can know if that would have helped. Probably not. But it pretty much ended his chances to be put in so early and let the mechanics slide.

18 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I was waiting for this response. I and so many other fans feel vindicated today. The never ending threads and arguments about his playing time “he hasn’t had a full 16 games yet (in year 3)”, “if it wasn’t for the slippery mat, he wouldn’t have been thrown to the wolves”, “he’s smart with the football and is threat to run” and many other excuses for a mid 1st Rd pick that simply sucked. The arguments were endless because ‘my kind’ saw very early on he just doesn’t have ‘it’. The last road game I attended was his shartshow against the Texans where he singlehandedly refused to win, giving the game to the Texans. Marone benched him the following game for Orton and EJ was finished. Should have retired that day. 

Agree with this 100%. Anybody with eyes could see that he blew. Some of us Bills fans, myself included, get behind mediocre players and tend to look at their mediocrity with rose colored glasses and consistently make excuses for them. But the EJ excuses just made no sense. I didn't like the draft pick, but to be fair, I liked Matt Barkley and Tyler Bray...Was I excited at points early in EJ's career? Sure...I remember being really excited for that Browns game vs Brian Hoyer where EJ hurt himself. But as time went on, there was zero progress being made and he clearly didn't have it. Same thing happened with Trent and Fitz and Kelsay and Clay and James Hardy and Preston Brown and John Miller and Nathan Peterman for some (where u guys at?) and it is literally happening with Zay Jones right now. Anyway, I wish EJ well and perhaps he has a future in broadcasting because he is a well spoken, good looking guy. While his slow eyes may hurt him on the football field, in broadcasting he has a rewind and instant replay option, so he should be fine. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ColeB said:

....Chuck Knoblach style................

12 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

All things considered, easily one of the top 5 busts in Bills history. Absolutely sucked the life out of this team. This guy made me like Thad Lewis. Never got better from his first game. Other then Tebow he probably had the worst mechanics and footwork of any QB ever taken in the first round. The guy was defended with relentlessly on the BBMB. Nobody is saying he was a bad guy. He just was severely overdraft and then never did anything to get better. 

Yes he was a bigger disaster then Chernobyl 

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Equally, he was handled badly. When you've got a guy with bad mechanics, do what KC did. Make him do mechanics drills till he drops. And when he gets up again, make him do more. Don't let him near a game till it's part of muscle memory. No one can know if that would have helped. Probably not. But it pretty much ended his chances to be put in so early and let the mechanics slide.

Crazy to make mention of Mahomes and EJ. I get it. Mahomes didn’t have ideal pocket mechanics coming out but he still doesn’t. Mahomes is as natural a thrower of the football as you will see. EJ is the opposite. Even at his time at FSU you could see him trying to decide “how” to throw the football on each play. That is not going to fly in the NFL.