EJ Manuel Retires from NFL

30 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

MOTHER@#^%@$%&&@!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.thestreet.com/quote/EJMLL.html

First a trade war tanks my stock portfolio and tech investments and now this news comes in and finishes it off.  Looks like I won't be retiring.

I shorted every share I could get my hands on.  I close on my private island in French Polynesia next week.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I share your thoughts! I always liked EJ..somewhat a victim of circumstance

I don't want to pile on EJ. He by all accounts is a terrific young man. What can't be said is that he was a victim of circumstances. Whether he was a first round pick or would have been a lower pick he simply wasn't good enough. That is not to say that joining the Bills when he did was the best situation for him or any other qb prospect. However, what is clear is that he didn't have the talent to be a franchise qb in this league. And it is fair to say that he was around long enough and given enough opportunities in a number of locations to demonstrate that he could be a viable qb in this league. 

He being drafted in the first round is a testament to the systematic and gross ineptitude of this plagued franchise. Hopefully, under this current regime these blatant bad decisions will happen with less frequency. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I wish him happiness and success as he moves on to the next part of his life.  EJ is a genuinely good guy, hard working, earnest.   It didn't work out the way he hoped, and that has to be disappointing for him, just as it is for the thousands of other guys who get close but don't quite make it.   It isn't easy to hear you don't have what it takes, and it isn't easy to accept it.  

I wish him well.  

Edited by Shaw66

39 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

All things considered, easily one of the top 5 busts in Bills history. Absolutely sucked the life out of this team. This guy made me like Thad Lewis. Never got better from his first game. Other then Tebow he probably had the worst mechanics and footwork of any QB ever taken in the first round. The guy was defended with relentlessly on the BBMB. Nobody is saying he was a bad guy. He just was severely overdraft and then never did anything to get better. 

EJ is perhaps the worst selection ever by the Bills from the past decade.  I’m not just basing this on his NFL career which was less-than-stellar from all accounts.

However EJ just did not have the talent to be selected in Round 1.  He was a 3rd or 4th round QB projected to be a backup/spot start which is what his career ultimately turned out to be.

It was malfeasance by Buddy Nix and Doug Whaley to neglect the QB position as long as they did.  It forced them to draft a QB in a class of terrible QB prospects.  However rather than waiting to take EJ in Round 3, they make the foolish decision to announce him as a 1st round pick.

This led to unrealistic expectations from just about everyone - the Bills, fans, and even EJ himself.  He was put in a position he never should have been.  

By all accounts EJ is a great person but being drafted so high and the unfair expectations put on him took a toll.  It was reported he worked with a sports psychologist during his tenure with the Bills.

45 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Well said. You must not have invested in those EJ shares a few years ago. :cry:

I kid I kid 

EJ fell on some very difficult times lately. After weeks of remaining unsigned while Nathan Peterman occupied a roster spot EJ's mental condition deteriorated rapidly.  He lost 43 lbs, stopped showering, and walks around all day muttering "5 interceptions in a half. Child of god, my ass".  He made several strange and incoherent and graphically violent public threats toward Ted Nolan.  Something about Ted and his mom.  His family and Dr. all agreed retirement was in the best interest of his health.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He did slam the Bills after the Ravens game last year.... Wondering why Peterman had a job over him and got more opportunity than he did

That was fair though.  He should have been employed before Peterman.  Still, I don’t have any feelings at all toward him.  He’s just another person in the world to me. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Is this some sort of backhanded way of calling EJ an ass?  You really didn't like him, did you? ?

Others have mentioned the many things set EJ up for failure...

Unwarranted first-round status via Nix and Whaley -- they talked themselves into it.  Those conversations must have been gems.

The first year injuries.  Just as EJ was about to get some great consistent, game after game reps he would get injured\

I don't know that I can really define what Nate Hackett's offensive system was...all I know is that it was better suited for Kyle Orton than EJ Manuel.  EJ could read one side of the field and could move...so what do you game plan--drop-back passing with fairly complex reads--brilliant.....

Augie, despite my joke--your post sums up my feelings really well. 

Oops! Yeah, I fixed that! Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

All things considered, easily one of the top 5 busts in Bills history. Absolutely sucked the life out of this team. This guy made me like Thad Lewis. Never got better from his first game. Other then Tebow he probably had the worst mechanics and footwork of any QB ever taken in the first round. The guy was defended with relentlessly on the BBMB. Nobody is saying he was a bad guy. He just was severely overdraft and then never did anything to get better. 

I dont agree with that.  Definitely a bust though.

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I have confidence in you . Just keep grinding. :)

I’m “retired” according to my tax returns. I outkicked my coverage with my wife. It turns out she’s a MUCH better banker than I ever dreamed of being. I have my confidence in her!  All the eggs are in that basket now. ?  ?