Successful season...what will it take?

What will you consider a successful season in 19-20?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming no major injuries to key players, success is...

• 10-6 or better record, and playoffs
    • 9-7, miss playoffs
    • 8-8, miss playoffs
    • Success no matter how bad the season goes, look to the future (TtP...I can't bring myself to type the phrase)

If there's any truth to this process spiel, ten wins is more than reasonable to expect...  TBH, 11 wins would let me know that all my skepticism was unwarranted.

Also, McBeane's draft picks have to make strides...  If there really was a plan for taking these kids, It'd be nice to see it in action...

I think one or maybe two people hit on it kind of....the record and playoffs are simply side shows this year....if you win games and make the playoffs...that would of course be great....but if you go 8-8 with a wild card berth and Josh Allen completed 56% of his passes while throwing for 14 TD and 12 INTS...you get crushed in the wild card game...that is a failed season.

5-11 but Allen gets that comp % up to 58-60 or better, 20 or more TD with 12 or fewer INTS..that would be progress and something to continue to build on....it would be better than the 1st scenario making the playoffs.

You need to know by the end of next season what you have in Allen.  The bills have gotten out of cap hell, they've turned the roster over and they have aquired some actual pieces and parts to go around Allen....and you had what I and many others would say was a very very good draft.  The 2019 Season is ALL ABOUT ALLEN.  Period.  

I won't be looking at W/L record when I watch the Bills this year...I am watching Allen...I want to see the progress.  

8 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

i don't have time right now to read all the posts, but imo, the most important thing to our success is mcd making sure mcfrazier is living in the 2000's.

we have got to have an attacking defense....not relying on the front 4 and two or 3 blitzes a season, but kicking some qb asses. it ain't that hard. if it is, maybe we need to hire back jim schartz or pettine for 2020.

there, i drew the line in the sand. the antiquated defense is the only thing that can keep us out of the playoffs.

Hmmm. You do realise that the 2018 Bills had the 31st ranked offense and 2nd ranked defense, right?

And you talk about antiquated but it is the big blitzing defenses that are antiquated. A team whose defense relies on the blitz are struggling because the NFL has become a ball out quick league. The teams that are winning on defense (including Jim Schwartz by the way both when he was here and in Philly) are doing it by getting home with 4. 

Now can Leslie Frazier get a bit too passive at times in games and retreat a little bit into a safety first cover 2 shell? Yes, he can that is definitely a concern and when he does it is on McDermott to remind him that they are running the Jim Johnson defense not the Tony Dungy defense.... but the biggest reason the Bills have struggled to generate pressure on the Quarterback the last two seasons? They didn't have the horses. I think Ed Oliver will help massively. They are still not where they need to be in terms of edge rusher opposite Jerry Hughes but I expect them to be better than last year.

And I would say the one thing that can keep us out of the playoffs in 2019 is insufficient progress from our 31st ranked offense. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zerovoltz said:

I think one or maybe two people hit on it kind of....the record and playoffs are simply side shows this year....if you win games and make the playoffs...that would of course be great....but if you go 8-8 with a wild card berth and Josh Allen completed 56% of his passes while throwing for 14 TD and 12 INTS...you get crushed in the wild card game...that is a failed season.

5-11 but Allen gets that comp % up to 58-60 or better, 20 or more TD with 12 or fewer INTS..that would be progress and something to continue to build on....it would be better than the 1st scenario making the playoffs.

You need to know by the end of next season what you have in Allen.  The bills have gotten out of cap hell, they've turned the roster over and they have aquired some actual pieces and parts to go around Allen....and you had what I and many others would say was a very very good draft.  The 2019 Season is ALL ABOUT ALLEN.  Period.  

I won't be looking at W/L record when I watch the Bills this year...I am watching Allen...I want to see the progress.  

why don't people in Buffalo want to make the playoffs? W-L is kinda important....that's how you measure progress

2 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

I struggle to imagine a scenario where Josh has those numbers and the Bills go 5-11. Our defense is too fundamentally sound and will give us at least a couple of games where we hardly have to score to win. Is it possible we finish 8-8 with Josh still struggling? Yep. Is it possible that Josh takes a genuine step forward and the Bills only win 5 games? Not for me. If Josh goes 59%; 23 passing TDs and 12 INTs then the Bills are winning 8 as an absolute minimum.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nucci said:

why don't people in Buffalo want to make the playoffs? W-L is kinda important....that's how you measure progress

I agree,  Nucci - and actually I care less about the record and more about making the playoffs - to me the team can "grow" and "progress" and Allen can show "development" but at the end of the day none of that matters if the team doesn't at least get into the dance.  And once the team makes the playoffs it needs to be able to contend on a consistent basis.  The only precedent I have is the teams of the mid-'80s through mid-'90s.  Kelly joins the team, through drafts and some trades a core of great players comes together, the team finally makes the playoffs in spectacular fashion in '88 and the rest is history.   

The draft is very encouraging.  Its a step in the very positive direction.   At some point though the team has to put up or shut up...

9-7 and in the hunt...or at least with a strong late season win streak. Throw in a win over the Patriots and the season will be considered a success with all things pointing to 2020. This year will be Shadys last and we’ll look back one day on 2019 as the building block season. Many will say “oh yeah I forgot McCoy was still our RB that season” much like some remember Moulds last year or two.

12 hours ago, The Senator said:

He didn’t do that in his less than two seasons of college ball, so why and how could you possibly expect that of him in the NFL?

He actually did 

1215 yds in 19 games= 63.9yds/game x 16 games = 1023yards per season 

12TDs in 19 games = .63TD/game x 16 games = 10TD per season

he also averaged over 20yards per catch last season. 4th best I think in college football. Tell me Wilson isn’t going to just chuck it up to him deep at least 5 times a game. 

Edited by Chemical

17 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

i don't have time right now to read all the posts, but imo, the most important thing to our success is mcd making sure mcfrazier is living in the 2000's.

we have got to have an attacking defense....not relying on the front 4 and two or 3 blitzes a season, but kicking some qb asses. it ain't that hard. if it is, maybe we need to hire back jim schartz or pettine for 2020.

there, i drew the line in the sand. the antiquated defense is the only thing that can keep us out of the playoffs.

Just a thought, there #1 redneck, perhaps you should MAKE the time to read all the posts -instead of Drive-by Grenading. You just may find you learn about your team.

It’s Monday. Lay off the white lightnin’ for a few daze..

• Haha (+1) 1