Successful season...what will it take?

What will you consider a successful season in 19-20?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming no major injuries to key players, success is...

• 10-6 or better record, and playoffs
    • 9-7, miss playoffs
    • 8-8, miss playoffs
    • Success no matter how bad the season goes, look to the future (TtP...I can't bring myself to type the phrase)

2 hours ago, Chemical said:

He actually did 

1215 yds in 19 games= 63.9yds/game x 16 games = 1023yards per season 

12TDs in 19 games = .63TD/game x 16 games = 10TD per season

he also averaged over 20yards per catch last season. 4th best I think in college football. Tell me Wilson isn’t going to just chuck it up to him deep at least 5 times a game. 

No, he actually didn’t.

If you torture the numbers long enough, they’ll confess to anything you want.

Here are Metcalf’s actual stats...

2016: GP-2, REC YDS- 2, RUSHING-0, TDS-0

2017: GP- 12, REC YDS-646, RUSHING-0, TDS-7

2018: GP-7, REC YDS-569, RUSHING-0, TDS-5

Less than 2 full seasons of college ball, unimpressive production, and apparently fragile and injury prone.

I’m glad Beane passed, twice, as did everyone else until Seattle finally took him at #64.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, The Senator said:

No, he actually didn’t.

Less than 2 full seasons of college ball, unimpressive production, and apparently fragile and injury prone.

I’m glad Beane passed, twice, as did everyone else until Seattle finally took him at #64.

Torture the numbers? It’s just the average per game. Pretty simple. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chemical said:

Torture the numbers? It’s just the average per game. Pretty simple. 

Did I not mention “injury prone”?

Guy has never played a 16 game season, and only lasted 12 games once in 3 years, so taking his two year totals,  dividing them by his two year total number of games to extrapolate a per-game average, then multiplying that number by 16 games to come up with numbers to support your erroneous supposition is, well, ridiculous.

(I noticed you left out Metcalf’s two-game freshman season and his two yards total production - how would adding two games, two total yards, and zero TDs skew your fuzzy math?)

a playoff win.

2 seasons ago this team sneaked into the playoffs with what many here considered to be a very inferior roster (QB especially). according to many here, the team's playoff appearance was solely due to coaching and some luck (thanks Cincy), not talent or QB performance.

with that said, since 2017 the same coach has completely retooled the offense, got the QB he wanted and revamped the roster.

he should have everything he needs to get the team to the playoffs and get a WIN.

Edited by 87168
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Senator said:

Did I not mention “injury prone”?

Guy has never played a 16 game season, and only lasted 12 games once in 3 years, so taking his two year totals,  dividing them by his two year total number of games to extrapolate a per-game average, then multiplying that number by 16 games to come up with numbers to support your erroneous supposition is, well, ridiculous.

(I noticed you left out Metcalf’s two-game freshman season and his two yards total production - how would adding two games, two total yards, and zero TDs skew your fuzzy math?)

They only play 12 games in college 

1 minute ago, 87168 said:

a playoff win.

2 seasons ago this team sneaked into the playoffs with what many here considered to be a very inferior roster (QB especially). according to many here, the team's playoff appearance was solely due to coaching, not talent or QB performance.

with that said, since 2017 the same coach has completely retooled the offense, got the QB he wanted and revamped the roster.

he should have everything he needs to get the team to the playoffs and get a WIN.

Besides es are you sure you want to be making a production argument against a prospect when so many of buffalo’s recent draft picks are poster boys for poor college production (Allen, Knox, Oliver’s sack numbers)

39 minutes ago, Chemical said:

They only play 12 games in college 

No sh*t.  Thanks for that helpful info.

Since you like to take totals and divide them, then multiply by other hypothetical numbers, Metcalf played 21 games in 3 seasons.

Take his total production, divide by 21 games, and what do you come up with?

I’ll help you -1217 yards.  Divide by 21 games - 58 yards per game (I was generous and rounded up).  Now multiply 58 yards per game by 16 games (your formula).

Doesn’t give you 1,000 yards, does it?

And he only lasted the full 12 games once in 3 seasons, so to think he’ll last 16 in the NFL is, well, ludicrous.

Edited by The Senator

2 hours ago, The Senator said:

No sh*t.  Thanks for that helpful info.

Since you like to take totals and divide them, then multiply by other hypothetical numbers, Metcalf played 21 games in 3 seasons.

Take his total production, divide by 21 games, and what do you come up with?

I’ll help you -1217 yards.  Divide by 21 games - 58 yards per game (I was generous and rounded up).  Now multiply 58 yards per game by 16 games (your formula).

Doesn’t give you 1,000 yards, does it?

And he only lasted the full 12 games once in 3 seasons, so to think he’ll last 16 in the NFL is, well, ludicrous.

We’ll see

4 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Broken foot 2 games into his freshman season, and broken neck 7 games into his red-shirt sophomore season.

Yes, we’ll see.

Yeah sounds like those two injuries are totally related and a sign that he doesn’t protect his feet or neck properly. Or a coincidence and part of playing a violent game. We’ll see 

2 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Yeah sounds like those two injuries are totally related and a sign that he doesn’t protect his feet or neck properly. Or a coincidence and part of playing a violent game. We’ll see 

Or is he just fragile and injury prone?  We’ll see.

Violent game?  It gets a lot more violent in the NFL than the SEC.

Yes, we’ll see.

1 minute ago, The Senator said:

Yes, we’ll see.

Have you ever broken a bone? If so does that mean your fragile? So dumb 

3 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Yes, we’ll see.

Cody Ford broke his leg in 2016. Am I concerned? No because I’m not an idiot 

13 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Have you ever broken a bone? If so does that mean your fragile? So dumb 

Yes, I have, several in fact.  Mostly playing sports, none so violent as NFL football.

13 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Cody Ford broke his leg in 2016. Am I concerned? No because I’m not an idiot 

Jury’s out on that one.

Ford broke his fibula in his red-shirt freshman season.  Came back and played two more seasons.

Metcalf broke his neck as a red-shirt sophomore, then, with quite unimpressive stats, declared for the NFL draft.

(Eric Woods immediately retired after a neck injury, so maybe add stupid to Metcalf’s long list of shortcomings.)

• Like (+1) 1

It seems to be the current trend with the good young QB’s that year 2 is the playoff run if you’re good, and sitting at home in January if you’re not. 

If the playoffs aren’t in site in December, that will be a HUGE disappointment for me. I feel like the offense is good enough now with this line and the receivers we have, to be competitive enough to make that top 5 defense even better.  

4 hours ago, The Senator said:

No, he actually didn’t.

Not sure why you'd feel the need to include rushing TD's there Senator. Pretty sure they didn't use DK much out of the backfield or on reverses. Not his niche.

I wanted Metcalf, but I'll get over it.

15 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Not sure why you'd feel the need to include rushing TD's there Senator. Pretty sure they didn't use DK much out of the backfield or on reverses. Not his niche.

I wanted Metcalf, but I'll get over it.

Actually, those are all receiving TDs.  As you accurately point out, Ole’ Miss didn’t use him that way, and I really didn’t feel I needed to make the distinction, since 0 rushing yards = 0 rushing TDs.

EDIT:  Maybe I could have been clearer if I wrote ‘RUSHING YDS’ rather than simply ‘RUSHING’.  My bad.  Too many keystrokes, and my fingers were getting tired.

Edited by The Senator
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I struggle to imagine a scenario where Josh has those numbers and the Bills go 5-11. Our defense is too fundamentally sound and will give us at least a couple of games where we hardly have to score to win. Is it possible we finish 8-8 with Josh still struggling? Yep. Is it possible that Josh takes a genuine step forward and the Bills only win 5 games? Not for me. If Josh goes 59%; 23 passing TDs and 12 INTs then the Bills are winning 8 as an absolute minimum.

Big Ben threw for 30 something TD and 5000 yards and Pittsburg did not make the playoffs.  

The 2018 Buffalo Bills were the #1 team in the NFL in pass defense and they added EJ Gains. So teams ran on them pretty well multiple times. What changed on the defense this off season?

The Bills replaced Kyle Williams with a 6'2'' 287 Lb DT to replace Williams. I don't see the improved run defense as Oliver is a penetrating DT to rush the passer and disrupt the backfield. This is the NFL and there are 330lb monster O-lineMEN ...not college kids. The Bills need to add more run support on that D line IMO. 

I'm kinda hoping the Bills offer a late 2020 draft pick to the Bucs for Gerald McCoy and they do have the cap space. Then they sign Ziggy Ansah who would help in the pass rush rotation. 

I don't want to just beat opponents, I want to crush them, see them driven before me, hear the...well you get the picture. 

The offense should be very improved in the run game with the RBs and not need to have the QB to be the HB leading the team in rushing this season. That Bills O line should be so improved that the run game should be top five. The pass game with John Brown, Cole Beasley, and ex CFL WR Duke Williams should be much improved too. 

The improvement in the run game and run defense should vault the team to a winning season. I also want to see the 2019 Buffalo Bills beat the crap out of the New England Patriots at least once. 9-7 or better will make me happy. 10-6 I would be ecstatic and any better would be euphoric!  

With the free agent signings, the draft and the un-drafted free agents this team has enough talent to compete with the best in the NFL. JMHO