RD 7, Pick 228: TE Tommy Sweeney, Boston College

16 minutes ago, Holeshot said:

Me neither but I like this pick alot better than knox pick.. to me that's still a head scratcher to give up 2 fourths for him

This goes back to that old Sammy Watkins debate, but the cost of the trade was their second fourth. They traded from 112 to 96. The right to move up that many spots cost them 131, which is nothing. And they jumped the Patriots to grab him.

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Sweeney will knock Fisher off the roster at some point this offseason.  

Question will be who they keep if they go with 3 TEs on the 53

Kroft and Knox are the locks. Then you've got a battle between Fisher, Croom, and Sweeney. Sweeney is a great PS candidate and Croom is the one top tier athlete of the group. And that other advantage having something to do with nepotism. That leaves Fisher as the likely odd man out. Fisher has a bigtime uphill battle here. He's gonna really have to impress in camp.

Has a chance to be the blocking TE with some pass catching upside.  Fisher is struggle city to make it unless he catches up as a route runner fast.  Imo its Kroft, Knox, Croom the Flex TE, Sweeney and Fisher situational blocker.  I think Sweeney beats him out.  Better athlete, and probably more sure handed.  

Edited by Mat68

6 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

Kiper and McShay were loving the Sweeney pick in their post draft podcast saying he had great hands and his football character was off the chart. It was slightly weird how much they liked a mid 7th round pick

McShay in particular was very high on Sweeney saying he had best ball skills of any TE in the class.  He also picked him as the one stand out player from rounds 5-7 in ESPN's Draft Recap Last night and predicted he'll make the roster. 

Kiper agreed with his ability to catch, and added if it would have been 15-20 years ago would have been a 2-3 rounder. 

Of course that is a bit of the problem, sense offenses have evolved from Sweeney's type of game so we'll see if it works for the Bills. Could be more than just a 7th round flier that my first impressions were. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/28/2019 at 1:36 PM, LSHMEAB said:

Kroft and Knox are the locks. Then you've got a battle between Fisher, Croom, and Sweeney. Sweeney is a great PS candidate and Croom is the one top tier athlete of the group. And that other advantage having something to do with nepotism. That leaves Fisher as the likely odd man out. Fisher has a bigtime uphill battle here. He's gonna really have to impress in camp.

Pretty good synopsis here. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/28/2019 at 10:36 AM, LSHMEAB said:

Croom and Knox give you the same skill set though. They are interchangeable (although Knox is a better and more willing blocker). Most teams like to have different qualities in their 3-4 TEs. Tommy Sweeney provides something different than Croom and Knox: Dependability, sure hands, inline blocking.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

6 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Croom and Knox give you the same skill set though. They are interchangeable (although Knox is a better and more willing blocker). Most teams like to have different qualities in their 3-4 TEs. Tommy Sweeney provides something different than Croom and Knox: Dependability, sure hands, inline blocking.

I guess I could see it going that way. TBH, I'm not a big fan of the Knox pick and I'm not even sure he'll be better than Croom. Then you've got the Croom personal situation. Also, isn't Kroft a very solid inline blocker?

If I had to guess, I would stick with Kroft, Knox and Croom being the top 3 with Sweeney on the practice squad because of practicality. But you raise a good point about the similarities between Croom and Knox.

10 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I guess I could see it going that way. TBH, I'm not a big fan of the Knox pick and I'm not even sure he'll be better than Croom. Then you've got the Croom personal situation. Also, isn't Kroft a very solid inline blocker?

If I had to guess, I would stick with Kroft, Knox and Croom being the top 3 with Sweeney on the practice squad because of practicality. But you raise a good point about the similarities between Croom and Knox.

I think there's a good chance 4 TEs make the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I think there's a good chance 4 TEs make the roster.

That's a possibility and would certainly change things. They could decide on a game by game basis if they wanted to activate Kroft/Knox/Croom or Kroft/Knox/Sweeney. Also opens up the possibility that they keep Fisher and still PS Sweeney.

My HUNCH is that with all the improvements they made at OL and the receiving core still somewhat lacking, they will be more inclined to go with "receivers."

We shall see!

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

That's a possibility and would certainly change things. They could decide on a game by game basis if they wanted to active Kroft/Knox/Croom or Kroft/Knox/Sweeney. Also opens up the possibility that they keep Fisher and still PS Sweeney.

My HUNCH is that with all the improvements they made at OL and the receiving core still somewhat lacking, they will be more inclined to go with "receivers."

We shall see!

I think DiMarco is likely gone. They will use a TE for the FB role when needed.

• Like (+1) 1

Hating myself for liking this painfully slow, lumbering, kid... The annoying part is that I watched BC games because I liked the QB (Anthony Brown).... Trying to get a bead on his potential as a pro... Next thing you know, I notice that this oafish Sweeney kid can be elusive in certain spots, -take on anyone in blocking situations, -and has an insane catch radius...  I don't want to believe he can play at this level, but Sweeney has surprised ( and Impressed) me before.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, #34fan said:

Hating myself for liking this painfully slow, lumbering, kid... The annoying part is that I watched BC games because I liked the QB (Anthony Brown).... Trying to get a bead on his potential as a pro... Next thing you know, I notice that this oafish Sweeney kid can be elusive in certain spots, -take on anyone in blocking situations, -and has an insane catch radius...  I don't want to believe he can play at this level, but Sweeney has surprised ( and Impressed) me before.

You watched bc games because of brown?  How bored are you?  He has zero pro potential. 

1 minute ago, teef said:

He’s a below average qb, and does nothing to help his team. Fans cringe when they can’t lean on the run game. God bless ya though. 

I'm expecting a breakout year for him at BC. -Stay tuned.

49 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Yep. One could argue that Kroft and Tommy Sweeney have similar skill sets, and while I sure hope that the Croom personal situation would not affect the personnel situation, one bad crack about me, too or clean coal could reverse that point. ;)

I doubt we keep four TEs; not with 4 RBs, a FB and at least 6 WR (counting Roberts). And yes, I would like to replace our FB with a combination of Gore and Knox but it ain't likely to happen. McDermott's fixation with DiMarco is Petermanian. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/28/2019 at 8:08 AM, MrEpsYtown said:

This goes back to that old Sammy Watkins debate, but the cost of the trade was their second fourth. They traded from 112 to 96. The right to move up that many spots cost them 131, which is nothing. And they jumped the Patriots to grab him.

Still amazes me how hard it is for people to grasp the actual "cost" to trade up.  Nicely worded :)

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Still amazes me how hard it is for people to grasp the actual "cost" to trade up.  Nicely worded :)

Even before Sammy I had a debate with someone here once about JP Losman being three first round picks....... the two that we spent to get him and the one that we gave up in 2005. I tried, gallantly to explain that one of the two we used to get him was the one from 2005..... but it wasn't computing. I can't remember who the poster was and I think they have left the forum now to be honest but it went on for about 3 hours. He wasn't having that it was two first round picks. He was insistent it was 3.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

First Bills 2 TE draft in a long time.

Bobby Collins and wasn’t the other the nail polish wearing Sheldon Jackson, anyone remember? 

Thats about all I remember about Jackson. Bobby Collins looked like a footballer...

So as sad as my memory for Bills, these TE’s are Dawson Creek and Sweeney Tom.

No doubt that Buffalo does not have a great history of drafting or acquiring TEs. 

We had Ernie Warlick in the championship mid 60’s teams, he was very good.  We also had Paul Costa who we converted to OT.  

The 70’s an md 80’s did not yield much.  We drafted Rueben Gantt in round 1 and he was very slow to develop.   Paul Seymour was converted to OT and was very good. 

We had had few good TEs that got injured such as Mark Brammer and Keith McKeller (early SB years), Tony Cline (mid 80’s) and Kevin Everett.   Pete Metzellars was a reliable receiver and a great blocker, we did not draft him. 

Charles Clay was ok for awhile but not worth the  big contract.  Jay Riemersma ok.  

Lonnie Johnson meh ...  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

No doubt that Buffalo does not have a great history of drafting or acquiring TEs. 

We had Ernie Warlick in the championship mid 60’s teams, he was very good.  We also had Paul Costa who we converted to OT.  

The 70’s an md 80’s did not yield much.  We drafted Rueben Gantt in round 1 and he was very slow to develop.   Paul Seymour was converted to OT and was very good. 

We had had few good TEs that got injured such as Mark Brammer and Keith McKeller (early SB years), Tony Cline (mid 80’s) and Kevin Everett.   Pete Metzellars was a reliable receiver and a great blocker, we did not draft him. 

Charles Clay was ok for awhile but not worth the  big contract.  Jay Riemersma ok.  

Lonnie Johnson meh ...  

Mid-90's.  And he sucked.

On 4/30/2019 at 5:29 AM, GunnerBill said:

Even before Sammy I had a debate with someone here once about JP Losman being three first round picks....... the two that we spent to get him and the one that we gave up in 2005. I tried, gallantly to explain that one of the two we used to get him was the one from 2005..... but it wasn't computing. I can't remember who the poster was and I think they have left the forum now to be honest but it went on for about 3 hours. He wasn't having that it was two first round picks. He was insistent it was 3.

The only thing I remember about the first round of that draft was that we had one first rounder which we drafted Lee Evans with and then we gave up our 2005 first rounder to move back up into the first round to get Losman. So we only we only gave up one first for him which would have been the 2005 first. If I remember correctly

32 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

The only thing I remember about the first round of that draft was that we had one first rounder which we drafted Lee Evans with and then we gave up our 2005 first rounder to move back up into the first round to get Losman. So we only we only gave up one first for him which would have been the 2005 first. If I remember correctly

Yes sorry you are right I am remembering. I was saying it was one he was saying it was two. 

I was remembering us as having traded up in the first but we didn't did we, we traded back in. 

• SDS unpinned this topic