RD 3, Pick 74: RB Devin Singletary, Florida Atlantic

SDS

18 hours ago, Success said:

I can’t figure out why fans don’t see this as much of a need.  Half of our RBs are almost my age.  And I’m old.

Yes,but we have THREE of them and there will be RBs in the draft next year.

puzzling IMHO. He better be good.

2 hours ago, gregor7777 said:

Interesting pick, certainly an interesting point in the draft.

Beane is putting himself out there with this one.

He knows this player better than I do, so I hope he's git this one down.

I love getting a rookie RB in the room with Shady and Gore. Who better to learn from?

Beane put himself out there last year for JA and TE. A missed pick on a 3rd round RB don't compare in the slightest

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Yes,but we have THREE of them and there will be RBs in the draft next year.

puzzling IMHO. He better be good.

Yeah. I feel like Beane put himself out there a bit with this pick. If he doesn't work out, it's probably gonna get more critique than the average 3rd round guy who doesn't pan out. 

I still don't like Buffalo's third round. This is what reaching smells like.

I have no problems with D Singletary as a player, I hope he does well and makes me eat crow his whole career.

I have no problems with OBD drafting a RB in the mid rounds.

I just don't like this pick in this position given what other players were available.

Specifically:

Edge: Jaylon Ferguson (my favorite of this bunch)

EDGE: Chase Winovich

DE/Edge: Maxx Crosby

DE: Anthony Nelson

TE: Jace Sternberger

S: Will Harris

S: Mike Edwards

G: Conner McGovern

G: Ben Powers

G: Phil Haynes

LB: Bobby Okerke

WR: Hakeem Butler

all positions of need taken in 3-4 after this pick

Plenty of good RB option taken later too, run on RBs didn't happen until late 3rd to 4th.

Damien Harris

Bryce Love

Justice Hill

Dexter Williams

Ryquell Armstead

Those were mostly guys in the 3-4th round range.

This pick and Dawsn Knox.... a lot of value left for an undersized and slow guy, and a development guy.

I hope I am wrong

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I've been looking into this guy some more. I don't think he can be elite because of his speed, but he can be effective. We'll still need to add a RB next year, but RB by committee can work. He's small and slow, but doesn't go down easily. His speed is just enough to get by. Very elusive.

1 hour ago, RocCityRoller said:

I still don't like Buffalo's third round. This is what reaching smells like.

I have no problems with D Singletary as a player, I hope he does well and makes me eat crow his whole career.

I have no problems with OBD drafting a RB in the mid rounds.

I just don't like this pick in this position given what other players were available.

Specifically:

Edge: Jaylon Ferguson (my favorite of this bunch)

EDGE: Chase Winovich

DE/Edge: Maxx Crosby

DE: Anthony Nelson

TE: Jace Sternberger

S: Will Harris

S: Mike Edwards

G: Conner McGovern

G: Ben Powers

G: Phil Haynes

LB: Bobby Okerke

WR: Hakeem Butler

all positions of need taken in 3-4 after this pick

Plenty of good RB option taken later too, run on RBs didn't happen until late 3rd to 4th.

Damien Harris

Bryce Love

Justice Hill

Dexter Williams

Ryquell Armstead

Those were mostly guys in the 3-4th round range.

This pick and Dawsn Knox.... a lot of value left for an undersized and slow guy, and a development guy.

I hope I am wrong

I know...Winovich. Now he is in New England. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I know...Winovich. Now he is in New England. 

Dawson Knox probably would be too if we didn’t draft him.  They traded out immediately after we jumped them and took him. 

Same could be said for Singletary as NE went Harris shortly after.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, SCBills said:

Dawson Knox probably would be too if we didn’t draft him.  

Same could be said for Singletary as NE went Harris shortly after.  

I feel that Knox is going to be good...I like him. The same with Singletary. His twitchy and elusive style will be hard to defend. I feel that the Edge position has to be addressed. I have been following this team long enough to know that.

• Like (+1) 1

This reminds me of when everyone freaked out when we took Kiko Alonzo.  I kept telling everyone he was going to be better than Dion who went 3rd overall and he was a great pick in the 2nd.  But everyone freaked out because they didn’t know as much about Kiko, or even heard of him, at Oregon.  But if you watched Oregon play he stood out to me more than anyone that year.  

Devin was one of the best RB prospects in this draft.  Combine numbers can be misleading both directions.  This kid on tape is a beast.  He is elusive and also powerful for a guy his size.  I suspect it won’t take long before people realize this was a good pick and he becomes a fan fave.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Rocket94 said:

I feel that Knox is going to be good...I like him. The same with Singletary. His twitchy and elusive style will be hard to defend. I feel that the Edge position has to be addressed. I have been following this team long enough to know that.

The FO agrees with you.  They brought in Ansah for a visit and explored trading for Clark & Clowney.  I don’t think signing Eli Harold and drafting a guy who probably won’t make the team changes that.   

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

This is why I didn't like our 3rd round.

Too many good DE/Edge players left.

It really has nothing to do with D Singletary or the RB need.

16 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Gotta love people complaining about a draft pick saying they should of taken someone else like they have a clue 

It's clear to anyone who knows football that DE/Edge is a need this year, that 4 guys in those positions were picked within 20-30 picks of this pick and that RB wasn't a need here.

Trading back to the 3rd and taking a development TE didn't help.

Edited by RocCityRoller

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The FO agrees with you.  They brought in Ansah for a visit and explored trading for Clark & Clowney.  I don’t think signing Eli Harold and drafting a guy who probably won’t make the team changes that.   

No...not all. Harold may provide some impact with a new scheme and environment, but outside of Hughes? need I say more? We need one more guy with a skill set that mirrors or at least compliments Oliver. 

I’m happy to have him just to see @Kirby Jackson happy! As far as I know, he’s as good as any of the others we had to chose from. In Kirby I trust! 

And if we whiffed, we’ll try again. I expected a RB in rounds 3-4, but I more expected it with 2 picks in 4.