RD 3, Pick 74: RB Devin Singletary, Florida Atlantic

SDS

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

We’ll see..  his short burst looks good to me.  That’s far more important in getting to the edge than breakaway speed, which the combine says he lacks even though “game speed” keeps being referenced as indicating otherwise.  

Good point on Allen, as I’m sure teams would be hesitant to do that after Josh keeps the read option and busts a 30 yard run to the outside. 

I went through and watch most of his in game carries and I could only find like a maximum of like 20 instances where he bounced all the way around to the outside, and that’s against small schools. Almost all of his carries were between the linemen. If I’m drafting a RB in the top 3 rounds, they better be able to bounce it outside and between the linemen as well as catch the ball. This guy is going to be relegated to 1st and 2nd down carries and maybe red zone touches due to his knack at finding the end zone. 

47 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So we sign 3 rbs to million dollar plus deals only to draft an RB in the 3rd?  As much as like the first 2 picks, I kinda hate this.  I feel there is an outdated thought process to our team with offense.  

This guy has to be special (Tarik Cohen) to justify this in the 3rd.  If he ends up being a KR or change of pace back, it’s a bad pick. 

Jaylon Ferguson or the 3 guys immediately drafted after DS would have been better picks IM0.

As annoying as he is and how he has a lot of things handed to him, Kiffin is a really good offensive coach. 

Only yeldons under contract after this year. The draft is as much about the future as it is about plug and play.

11 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

This might be a killer fantasy pick boys since we added some beef in the trenches. Not in love with the position but certainly depends on if he can revitalize the rushing game cause we absolutely need him as a home run hitter or a new and improved Shady 

Hedging the risk here I suppose. Don't really care much for Ivory on the roster.

Well Ivory was released so you should be happy.

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

Only yeldons under contract after this year. The draft is as much about the future as it is about plug and play.

Fair.  I just think with so many needs and how many rbs they are always available, a small rb in the 3rd isn’t the best use of a pick.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 100DollarBills said:

I went through and watch most of his in game carries and I could only find like a maximum of like 20 instances where he bounced all the way around to the outside, and that’s against small schools. Almost all of his carries were between the linemen. If I’m drafting a RB in the top 3 rounds, they better be able to bounce it outside and between the linemen as well as catch the ball. This guy is going to be relegated to 1st and 2nd down carries and maybe red zone touches due to his knack at finding the end zone. 

I do agree with you on what you’d like in a RB drafted that high.   I’m also still a bit perplexed we went RB at all. 

I just think the Bills want a north/south runner for a power blocking scheme.  He’s certainly that.  As far as receiving and blocking, it doesn’t seem they asked him to do much of that so we’ll have to see if it’s in his skill set...and I’d agree, for where he was drafted, it better be.  

Edited by SCBills

Any concerns I had were quickly dispelled when I watch his games vs Oklahoma and UCF.  Teams and defense vastly superior in talent he popped off the screen.  

Edited by Mat68

28 minutes ago, Toesy said:

I would say the guy's speed is comparable to Thurman Thomas-shiftiness is more important in the NFL-if you are going to try to outrun NFL defenses around the corner you literally have to have Spiller speed usually.

Except NFL defenses are a lot faster in 2019 than they were during Thurman's era.  LBs especially, who more frequently are running in the 4.4s and 4.5s.

2 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Any concerns I hand were quickly dispelled when I watch his games vs Oklahoma and UCF.  Teams and defense vastly superior in talent he popped off the screen.  

He was held near the LOS most of the game until a late garbage time score. I understand that the Oline is inferior compared to the OU d-line, but I didn’t come away as impressed as you are. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Any concerns I hand were quickly dispelled when I watch his games vs Oklahoma and UCF.  Teams and defense vastly superior in talent he popped off the screen.  

I hear you on UCF but Oklahoma had one of the worst defenses in college football. I think they were 114.

4 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Except NFL defenses are a lot faster in 2019 than they were during Thurman's era.  LBs especially, who more frequently are running in the 4.4s and 4.5s.

Yeah i agree.  Almost nobody gets around the edge in the pros.  Its all about the quickness, vision and decison making.  He looks fun this kid.   I like fun.

2 minutes ago, 100DollarBills said:

He was held near the LOS most of the game until a late garbage time score. I understand that the Oline is inferior compared to the OU d-line, but I didn’t come away as impressed as you are. 

Yeah, I went to check on it but OU’s defense sucked last year. 

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22/p3

14 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Fair.  I just think with so many needs and how many rbs they are always available, a small rb in the 3rd isn’t the best use of a pick.  

I think they saw value on the board. They clearly weren't tremendously high on the wideouts - hence signing two free agents and drafting a tight end and back instead.