RD 3, Pick 74: RB Devin Singletary, Florida Atlantic

SDS

28 minutes ago, Lurker said:

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/evaluations/nfl-draft-rb-deep-dive?page=1

"Motor is also a skilled receiver — you’ll have to return to 2017 to see it, as FAU’s offense lost all its creative chutzpah this past season when Lane Kiffin was replaced by Charlie Weis’ 24-year-old son and receiving was yanked from Motor’s list of things to do" 

Interesting read.

He didn't put up great numbers as a receiver in 2016/2017, but he did catch 19 and 26 passes respectively with a modest YPC.

The 6 receptions is an eye opener, but this is a reasonable explanation.

16 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

If i was Devin i might have to become a regular church goer if he is not already ( yes i know he might be busy Sundays) lol
But to be mentored by two potential pro bowlers and one of them is surely a Pro's pro for sure, if not both of them.
 blessed to be learning behind his Learned Elders : )

Shady and Frank will only touch the ball a few times in Preseason.

We all will see a lot of Devin in those games.

I'm looking forward to see if he can duplicate what he has done to the NFL.

You're right about being blessed.  Having those guys is a dream for a rookie.

Welcome to Buffalo Devin and Good Luck!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is an OK Pick in my mind, a definite depth need as Shady and Gore don't have many years left and Yeldon is at best a good third down back. I am not sure if this is good value or not and I generally would have preferred to trade up for a receiver or TE. I loved the first two pick but I think this one is just OK. 

29 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

This is an OK Pick in my mind, a definite depth need as Shady and Gore don't have many years left and Yeldon is at best a good third down back. I am not sure if this is good value or not and I generally would have preferred to trade up for a receiver or TE. I loved the first two pick but I think this one is just OK. 

you surely knew they would pick youth at RB at some point ? They had to.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/evaluations/nfl-draft-rb-deep-dive?page=1

"Motor is also a skilled receiver — you’ll have to return to 2017 to see it, as FAU’s offense lost all its creative chutzpah this past season when Lane Kiffin was replaced by Charlie Weis’ 24-year-old son and receiving was yanked from Motor’s list of things to do" 

Thanks for that. Stats are often worthless without context and that makes sense.

9 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I think most of us would have been ok with a RB in the latter rounds.  A 3rd Round Pick.... this guy better be the real deal. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think most of us would have been ok with a RB in the latter rounds.  A 3rd Round Pick.... this guy better be the real deal. 

I agree completely! But I am also expecting to be pleasantly surprised.There are a lot of appealing things about this pic despite some limitations. Gotta love his touchdown production in college.

• Like (+1) 1

I get upset when guys fly up in a draft because of measurable from the Combine, so I guess I can’t be too upset if a guy doesn’t drop like a brick. I know it matters to some degree, but the film looks pretty impressive. What do I know, so I’ll wait and see. 

PLUS, it made @Kirby Jackson happy, so that’s a good thing. I’ll trust his judgment (for now.....but the angry mob will be coming with torches and pitchforks if he’s not a Pro Bowler as a rookie......it’s a tough crowd here!) 

18 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Yes they needed to go RB but I think they could have gone for one in round 4 or 5. I think with Yeldon, Shady, and Gore you can take a developmental guy later. Once again a certain depth need but I would have gone after a pass catcher. 

From the limited video I’ve seen - I see why they say he has great vision. 

Some of the cuts he makes, WHEN he makes them, are just gold. 

Wonder if that will translate to the Bigs....the competition that FAU faced was pretty whack. 

4 hours ago, davspo said:

If you don’t like this pick then you clearly have not watched the film-  looks like A young Shady- elusive, compact, powerful, tackle breaker- 

Shady ran the 40 in 4.45, Singletary 4.66. Pretty big difference there. Singletary significantly slower in 3 cone drill, 20 yard shuttle, 10 yd split etc.

Will be interesting to see if his style works against much much quicker and faster competition than he saw at FAU. I am a bit skeptical but hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by Turk71

1 hour ago, Misterbluesky said:

I really liked Murphy,tough runner,big thighs and tough to bring down on the first tackle.Somebody will be him up once he's released.

Isn’t it great when other teams want your castoffs, instead of us building our rosters with guys other teams let go? I know there’s always some of both, but the balance seems to be shifting. I like that! 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Yes they needed to go RB but I think they could have gone for one in round 4 or 5. I think with Yeldon, Shady, and Gore you can take a developmental guy later. Once again a certain depth need but I would have gone after a pass catcher. 

fair point.

seems they see something worth working up ?

Gore and Shady are likely gone next year and they wanted and apprentice. so many say you can find value after the 1st and second rounds .
maybe he is just that.

25 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Shady ran the 40 in 4.45, Singletary 4.66. Pretty big difference there. Singletary significantly slower in 3 cone drill, 20 yard shuttle, 10 yd split etc.

Will be interesting to see if his style works against much much quicker and faster competition than he saw at FAU. I am a bit skeptical but hope to be pleasantly surprised.

all about vision and intuitive game for those guys. If he can hit the hole and run . and if f he can learn to catch : ) while running !
he has a season to learn

1 hour ago, Bakin said:

From the limited video I’ve seen - I see why they say he has great vision. 

Some of the cuts he makes, WHEN he makes them, are just gold. 

Wonder if that will translate to the Bigs....the competition that FAU faced was pretty whack. 

Watch FAU vs Oklahoma and UCF.  They have the full games on YouTube.  I understand neither are super elite college defenses.  But both teams have way more talent.  He looks like he is the best player on the field.  His acceleration and vision show through.  I have 0 concerns after watching both games.  I will go as far to say he makes a Cohen type impact on the offense as a rookie.  Basically, what McKenzie did last year but a guy that is more elusive and better runner.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Watch FAU vs Oklahoma and UCF.  They have the full games on YouTube.  I understand neither are super elite college defenses.  But both teams have way more talent.  He looks like he is the best player on the field.  His acceleration and vision show through.  I have 0 concerns after watching both games.  I will go as far to say he makes a Cohen type impact on the offense as a rookie.  Basically, what McKenzie did last year but a guy that is more elusive and better runner.

Against Ok 18 carries 69 yds 3.8 ypc , 26 of those yds on one carry; meaning 17 carries for 43 yds 2.5 ypc on the rest of them. Oklahoma had 25 defenders record at least one tackle which means the entire bench got to play. I am pretty sure he wasn't the best player on the field that day.

• Like (+1) 1