RD 3, Pick 74: RB Devin Singletary, Florida Atlantic

SDS

They aren't going to move Shady.  He's an important piece of this team and they certainly don't need the immediate cash savings against the cap.

Shady/Gore split the primary reps 60-40, with Yeldon handling a good part of the passing situation work.

Mix in the rookie for a series here and there to get his feet wet while he learns to be a pro from a couple of the best to ever play.

Sounds...terrible?  I dunno, not seeing the problem.

17 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Inferior competition.

Forced 15 missed tackled vs #16 UCF. I agree the MAC guys aren't as good competition, but his supporting cast was on the same level. I'm not sure if he'll be able to make NFL guys miss like that, but a lot of experts believe he will be a very good pro. Only time will tell. 

8 minutes ago, akm0404 said:

They aren't going to move Shady.  He's an important piece of this team and they certainly don't need the immediate cash savings against the cap.

Shady/Gore split the primary reps 60-40, with Yeldon handling a good part of the passing situation work.

Mix in the rookie for a series here and there to get his feet wet while he learns to be a pro from a couple of the best to ever play.

Sounds...terrible?  I dunno, not seeing the problem.

At any other position, sure, doesn’t sound terrible.  However, you don’t draft a RB in the 3rd to stash them for a year.   RB picks that high are plug and play.   

The only thing the 4.66 means is if he breaks away for a 40 yard TD run, if there is a 4.4 guy chasing him stride for stride Singletray will be tackled from behind at the one, where he is a TD machine. He's extremely quick and shifty. 

I didn't think they would go RB until late. I think Shady is gone, unfortunately. I guess it's possible to not have any allegiance to Gore and drop him, but it's hard to see them dress 4 RBs when none really play ST. 

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

At any other position, sure, doesn’t sound terrible.  However, you don’t draft a RB in the 3rd to stash them for a year.   RB picks that high are plug and play.   

Says...you?

Ignoring the future is something the bad teams do as they're always chasing a patch to the latest hole in their swiss cheese.

Wonder why the Patriots selected a third round running back after drafting one in the first round last year and having another weapon at RB in James White?  Granted, that's a pretty terrible franchise with an awful track record, but...

I know you're firm in your beliefs, but perhaps you should reconsider.

Edited by akm0404

I think it’s pretty obvious that two things happened here:

1): Beane took the top player on their board

2): This pick was for next year when Yeldon is most likely the only RB under contract

this was definitely a forward thinking pick

Edited by flomoe

1 minute ago, akm0404 said:

Says...you?

Ignoring the future is something the bad teams do as they're always chasing a patch to the latest hole in their swiss cheese.

Wonder why the Patriots selected a third round running back after drafting one in the first round last year and having another weapon at RB in James White?  Granted, that's a pretty terrible franchise with an awful track record, but...

Not everything the Patriots do is right.  It’s easy when you have the GOAT QB & HC.  

Most teams dont stockpile RBs and plan for the future with them.  This isn’t like drafting a DB to replace one you might lose in FA.  RBs drafted in the 3rd Round are expected to play, not learn for a year.... especially on teams that have needs elsewhere.   

Ill gladly eat my words if he’s the next Shady, but the timing of this pick, after signing Gore & Yeldon, is strange, that’s all.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, akm0404 said:

Says...you?

Are you really comparing us to the Pats? 

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I think Shady is gone  going to be motivated

They're challenging him to come in prepared (not distracted like last year) and happy (getting his workout buddy Gore to be a wing man).   

Shady's a prideful man who really wants that gold jacket.   With a better line and a young clone of a kid trying to take snaps away from him, I suspect we'll see a lot better result than last year. 

Then he can ride off into FA in 2020 with his head held high and maybe a chance to snag a good buck from some playoff contender looking for a change-of-pace guy with intangibles...

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

They're challenging him to come in prepared (not distracted like last year) and happy (getting his workout buddy Gore to be a wing man).   

Shady's a prideful man who really wants that gold jacket.   With a better line and a young clone of a kid trying to take snaps away from him, I suspect we'll see a lot better result than last year. 

Then he can ride off into FA in 2020 with his head held high and maybe a chance to snag a good buck from some playoff contender looking for a change-of-pace guy with intangibles...

I like Shady, I like that concept, but I just don't get the numbers. I suppose they figure that there will be injuries, and that some games Gore or maybe Yeldon will not dress. Maybe they bring Singletary around slowly and don't dress him for a few games, and really mostly redshirt him. Will be interesting. I want them to keep McCoy. 

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

I like Shady, I like that concept, but I just don't get the numbers. I suppose they figure that there will be injuries, and that some games Gore or maybe Yeldon will not dress. Maybe they bring Singletary around slowly and don't dress him for a few games, and really mostly redshirt him. Will be interesting. I want them to keep McCoy. 

Only way I see Shady traded is in a deal involving a WR or DE.   No way, with where we are with the cap, we just move him for the sake of moving him.  

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Are you really comparing us to the Pats? 

I'm using a current example to refute a blanket statement that was clearly just wrong.  One that happened literally minutes before we "threw the pick away".

IMO they are doing the same thing with the RBs as with the OL-there is going to be a fierce competition to see who is there on opening day-I don't think anybody is totally locked in as a starting RB right now. 

15 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The only thing the 4.66 means is if he breaks away for a 40 yard TD run, if there is a 4.4 guy chasing him stride for stride Singletray will be tackled from behind at the one, where he is a TD machine. He's extremely quick and shifty. 

I didn't think they would go RB until late. I think Shady is gone, unfortunately. I guess it's possible to not have any allegiance to Gore and drop him, but it's hard to see them dress 4 RBs when none really play ST. 

Too much math and physics in this post. :P

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I liked what I saw in this kid before the draft and this might be a good pick.

However, I am pumping the brakes on the idea that a 5'-7", 3rd round draft pick who is a poor receiver is going to end Lesean McCoy's career in Buffalo.

I mean seriously can we at least step back and be reasonable when we say these things?  Even I thought about it briefly and then slapped myself upside the head.

Poor receiver? Show me the drops please. I’m waiting.

Edited by Protocal69

2 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

Poor receiver? Show me the drops please. I’m waiting.

Lol, people are just saying stuff now.   I’m perplexed by the pick but pretty soon Singletary will be a 5’2 back, who ran a 5.0/40 and was born without thumbs. 

• Haha (+1) 3