RD 3, Pick 74: RB Devin Singletary, Florida Atlantic

SDS

12 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I've been looking into this guy some more. I don't think he can be elite because of his speed, but he can be effective. We'll still need to add a RB next year, but RB by committee can work. He's small and slow, but doesn't go down easily. His speed is just enough to get by. Very elusive.

Insanely quick is better than really fast. 

For a running back. 

• Like (+1) 3

"quicker than fast"

Crazy fact for the day: 

Alfred Morris who also graduated from FAU ran a 4.67 40. 

He's still in the NFL. AND Singletary scored 40+ more touchdowns than him in college and smashed his rushing records. 

Edited by c-troop
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Reading through this thread, I am curious, if Singletary had every attribute, measurable, and lack of holes if people think he would have lasted until the third round?

He's a running back, one of the most devalued positions in the NFL. So I don't think it is uncommon to get very good running backs in the later rounds.

14 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

I still don't like Buffalo's third round. This is what reaching smells like.

I have no problems with D Singletary as a player, I hope he does well and makes me eat crow his whole career.

I have no problems with OBD drafting a RB in the mid rounds.

I just don't like this pick in this position given what other players were available.

Specifically:

Edge: Jaylon Ferguson (my favorite of this bunch)

EDGE: Chase Winovich

DE/Edge: Maxx Crosby

DE: Anthony Nelson

TE: Jace Sternberger

S: Will Harris

S: Mike Edwards

G: Conner McGovern

G: Ben Powers

G: Phil Haynes

LB: Bobby Okerke

WR: Hakeem Butler

all positions of need taken in 3-4 after this pick

Plenty of good RB option taken later too, run on RBs didn't happen until late 3rd to 4th.

Damien Harris

Bryce Love

Justice Hill

Dexter Williams

Ryquell Armstead

Those were mostly guys in the 3-4th round range.

This pick and Dawsn Knox.... a lot of value left for an undersized and slow guy, and a development guy.

I hope I am wrong

Are you really upset that they got their RB in the mid third when the “run started in the late third” 

(of course ignoring that we and Chicago both picked mid 3 rb)

For Knox... well, I ascribe this one to the patriots method of finding needs and creating tiers of players. Once you get to the last guy in the tier you have to try to go get him. They clearly took a need but they waited until just before a perceived drop which is the way to do it if going for need

I feel like this thread is destined to be re-visited next year a la the Josh Allen draft thread with many mea culpas from people about their ridiculously negative initial hot takes.

If you look at one highlight you can see the whining about the 40 time is ridiculous.  "Slow"?  Give me a break.  How many runs in the NFL start from a sprinters stance and go in a straight line untouched.  Zero.  The most important thing is to have vision and quickness to even get to the second level - and then have elusiveness and balance and strength once you get there.  He has all of these.  As someone mentioned, oh boy so maybe worst case we'll just have to settle for a bunch of 15-30 yd runs - that really sucks.

People whine that the Bills need playmakers - they get one of the biggest playmakers in the draft and people complain it's not a WR or that it was in the wrong round.

In one of his interviews he mentions his biggest strength is versatility - including receiving.  Just because he wasn't used as a receiving back at FAU doesn't mean he can't do it.  He also mentions that some teams had him line up with the receivers at the combine and he "caught them all"

I think the Bills have had their eye on him for a long time to be their RB of the future, and think the Gore signing was possibly partly in anticipation of getting this player.  The way Gore prepares and his approach to the game is legendary - what better situation than to bring in your dynamic RB of the future to learn under two future HOFers. 

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

He's a running back, one of the most devalued positions in the NFL. So I don't think it is uncommon to get very good running backs in the later rounds.

While it's not uncommon, most of the top RBs in the league were higher picks. Devalued or not, there is still a necessity to have a good RB on the roster, if not multiple.

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Insanely quick is better than really fast. 

For a running back. 

This. It is pretty rare that RBs are breaking 50+ yard TDs these days. It is far more important to consistently pick up 5 yards than it is to have breakaway speed.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Only thing I don't like is he is supposedly not much of a receiving threat. 

It sounds like he is perfectly capable of being one, they just didn’t use him as such last year at FAU.