RD 3, Pick 74: RB Devin Singletary, Florida Atlantic

SDS

He measures almost exactly the same size as Barry Sanders  I think he'll be fine and would be a nightmare behind a good line that could pull  You wont even see that guy behind his line.  They didnt use his as a receiver but he ran routes at the combine and looked smooth. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

He measures almost exactly the same size as Barry Sanders  I think he'll be fine and would be a nightmare behind a good line that could pull  You wont even see that guy behind his line.  They didnt use his as a receiver but he ran routes at the combine and looked smooth. 

And now, he’s Barry Sanders!!! Beane is a genius. 

Absolutely LOVE this pick!!!

I watch a lot of FAU football both on TV and in person and this guy can move!!  There is a cliche about making someone miss in a phone booth but for him that's reality!!  Every team in the conference knew he was going to get that ball, get it a lot and stacked their defense to stop him but couldn't allowing him to average 6 yards a carry.  He hasn't got the fastest straight line speed but with the separation he creates by getting defenders off balance and then miss it doesn't matter.  He also isn't the biggest back but he's damn tough.  Plus big hits in spite of his 700+ carries?  They didn't happen!!!  

BTW his 1.74 rushing TDs per game?  Behind only Steve Owens of Oklahoma in '67, '68 and '69, Ed Marinaro of Cornell in '69, 70, and '71, and Marshall Faulk in '91, '92 and '93 oh and Faulk? 5'9" 210 - Singletary 5'7' 205

The one knock on "Motor" I would say is he didn't catch the ball a lot out of the back field but that was mostly because Kiffen's offense targeted him less and less each year.  Not because he couldn't catch.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DuckyBoys said:

lol same size  Sanders had a 4.37 40   My point is he cant handle the punishment  Guy had a bazillion carries in college and didnt break down

Haha. I still don’t like the pick because of the position and our other needs.  But I agree that his size doesn’t worry me that much since he’s compact. 

4 minutes ago, Josh "Real Deal" Allen said:

The NE Running Back model: have a diversity of options and different looks.

Now, just get Brady and Belichick.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Josh "Real Deal" Allen said:

The NE Running Back model: have a diversity of options and different looks.

Shady/Singletary = Ankle Break Backs

Gore = Power Back

Yeldon = 3rd Down/Receiving Back

Ok... I’m with it.  Slowly coming around on the pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

I am not sure why people are confused they went RB. He isnt the RB I thought they would pick.....I was thinking Bryce Love in a later round and let him sit for the season. The Bills have two RBs at the end of their great careers that wont be under contract after this season. Ford and Murphy are not players that are going to make a difference. Get a young RB into the system and let him learn while getting some snaps in relief. It woudnt surprise me if the Bills pick a RB in next years draft too.  I always think it is funny that fans watch highlights of players or watch college games and think they know more about players than NFL teams. 

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

After snagging 26 passes in 2016, Singletary had only nine receptions last season. 

Why risk a bad pass when the guy leads the nation in broken tackles and rushing touchdowns?  If it aint broke, don't fix it.

1 hour ago, Protocal69 said:

Poor receiver? Show me the drops please. I’m waiting.

Protocol in the cbs rating of him up above in this thread of the guys they had listed I believe he was the worst rated receiver.

it doesn’t me he has had drops and maybe doesn’t mean he is a poor receiver.  It does mean it is not a surpurlarive of his and...I kind of will take Shady McCoys receiving skills over his.

If he is a better running back and a better receiver than Shady please show me. I’m waiting.

5 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

, I am pumping the brakes on the idea that a 5'-7", 3rd round draft pick who is a poor receiver

Is he a poor receiver? I know he doesn't have the receiving stats in college but he seemingly has the skill set to play a big role in our passing game.

13 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

He'll be as good as his O-line. You can see the difference between his Oklahoma tape and where his O-line is more effective against lesser competition. Only thing that bothers me is the tread on his tires and the fact that he's useless in the passing game. Re tread maybe he will take after  Frank Gore. Re receiving out of the backfield we've got Yeldon. This is going to be situational backfield by committee. I think maybe Daboll makes good use of him. Measurables aren't there but the kid looks like a gamer and a football player.

I see no reason that he can’t be very effective on short swing passes or screens.  Those plays generally yield easy catches and his run skills will take over after the catch.

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Is he a poor receiver? I know he doesn't have the receiving stats in college but he seemingly has the skill set to play a big role in our passing game.

Scribo linked to this early.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-draft-2019-running-back-rankings-lets-break-down-skills-of-top-rbs-from-elusiveness-to-contact-balance/

does not not mean he is poor receiver nd please see my more recent above.  He was the worst rated among that group of rookies.  Respectfully, I’m not sure he makes a great long armed target.  He he has been on the field a lot in 3 years and had 51 grabs, half of high in 1 season. 

my point is even though this is a guy I like and I was one of the first 8 or so posters in this thread, is that I just don’t believe Singletary spells the end of McCoy’s career in Buffalo.  

Edited by dollars 2 donuts