Miami: Acquires QB Josh Rosen

47 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

D bag!  Steve Smith broke his teammates’ face.  Class. 

13 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

He absolutely, 100% did not write this. You don’t go from “nine mistakes made ahead of me” to being ok with what Arizona just did to him. 

Haha, omg, a guy was fired up after he got drafted! What a douche!  We would have loved if Allen said that.  

19 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You realize he has an agent and a PR team right?  Lmao.  Of course he has to try and save face.  He just got dumped and is going to a team that is going to be in position most likely to take the top QB in years draft.  He MUST dispel this cloud around him if he wants a legit shot in Miami.  

Every other time this guy has spoke he has hurt his image.  He has a team around him trying to help him succeed, guarantee they set this up, I mean someone is there with a camera and he likely prepared the statement.

And nothing wrong with that, it’s a good move.  But let’s not disregard everything to this point because he did this one video that was almost guaranteed to have been set up by his team. 

So he does this, it’s fake.  He simply unfollows a team that replaced him, douche bag.  Honestly, I don’t if a player has gotten hated on more for dumber stuff.  Hell, Joe Mixon and Jeffrey Simmons received less scrutiny (they were young!).  Nfl fans are weird.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Finns will trade him for a 4th next year after they draft Tua. The football gods are sadistic and they hate this kid. 

Me I'm glad he's in the AFCE with Allen and Darnold. Makes for more interest and fun. I think he's got a chance to be pretty good in the right O. 

13 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

D bag!  Steve Smith broke his teammates’ face.  Class. 

Haha, omg, a guy was fired up after he got drafted! What a douche!  We would have loved if Allen said that.  

So he does this, it’s fake.  He simply unfollows a team that replaced him, douche bag.  Honestly, I don’t if a player has gotten hated on more for dumber stuff.  Hell, Joe Mixon and Jeffrey Simmons received less scrutiny (they were young!).  Nfl fans are weird.

More like has any rookie ever gotten so many excuses made for him?  

I know real people who know Rosen directly, and were around him a lot at various ages.  Not one of them thinks much of him as a person.  

So feel free to believe a setup statement with a camera crew and clearly prepared statement all you want.  I will rely on first hand information when cameras aren’t present.  

Good news for him, he gets a fresh start chance in Miami.  Bad news for him, the Dolphins are very likely to pick high enough to get top QB next years draft.  He has a very small window to convince Miami to stick with him and an established Vet still ahead of him on the depth chart.  So he needs to pop in all areas or maybe faced with the same scenario all over again next year.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

More like has any rookie ever gotten so many excuses made for him?  

I know real people who know Rosen directly, and were around him a lot at various ages.  Not one of them thinks much of him as a person.  

So feel free to believe a setup statement with a camera crew and clearly prepared statement all you want.  I will rely on first hand information when cameras aren’t present.  

Good mews for him, he gets a fresh start chance in Miami.  Bad news for him, the Dolphins are very likely to pick high enough to get top QB next years draft.  He has a very small window to convince Miami to stick with him and an established Vet still ahead of him on the depth chart.  So he needs to pop in all areas or maybe faced with the same scenario all over again next year.  

Josh Allen? Remember he never threw a bad pass.  It was all his receivers fault!

and newsflash! Rookie QBs should have excuses made for them.  It’s the hardest position to learn in sports.  But you’re right. The Cards fires their OC and hired Byron Leftwich during the season; fires their head coach after the season; and drafted 3 receivers this draft because it was a good situation.  You know I think you’re a good poster but your bias is clouding your judgment here.  For some reason, you hate this dude.  And I think he can be really good but I would say the same thing for every rookie QB. I think it’s kinda dumb if you make concrete judgments of any rookie qb, especially in that tire fire situation.  The Bills look like the Warriors compared to the Cards.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Josh Allen?

What excuses has Allen had?  Everyone knows where Josh excelled at and where he needs to improve at.  

Difference is our staff and FO believe in Allen and the progress he has made and invested heavily into helping him develop.  AZ instead passed up on generational defensive talent to take a chance that Murray will become the shortest successful QB in NFL history instead of building up the team around the kid they traded up for and used a top 10 pick on a year ago.  Not to mention paid all that money to. 

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

What excuses has Allen had?  Everyone knows where Josh excelled at and where he needs to improve at.  

Difference is our staff and FO believe in Allen and the progress he has made and invested heavily into helping him develop.  AZ instead passed up on generational defensive talent to take a chance that Murray will become the shortest successful QB in NFL history instead of building up the team around the kid they traded up for and used a top 10 pick on a year ago.  Not to mention paid all that money to. 

If Josh Allen was in Arizona, they would have done the same thing.  Allen and Rosen were essentially the same passing last year.

and it’s not even about comparing the two.  It’s about you pretending Rosen wasn’t in a crap situation because you don’t like him for whatever reason. But like I said before, I think you’re a good poster who is a bit of a homer and have a strong bias against Rosen.  So we’ll agree to disagree and we will get to see how these guys progress going forward. Enjoy your Sunday. 

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

If Josh Allen was in Arizona, they would have done the same thing.  Allen and Rosen were essentially the same passing last year.

and it’s not even about comparing the two.  It’s about you pretending Rosen wasn’t in a crap situation because you don’t like him for whatever reason. But like I said before, I think you’re a good poster who is a bit of a homer and have a strong bias against Rosen.  So we’ll agree to disagree and we will get to see how these guys progress going forward. Enjoy your Sunday. 

I think you’re a good poster as well, so no disrespect intended of course.  And we aren’t always going to agree and that’s all good bud.

But I disagree greatly that AZ would have done the same thing to Allen.  Their stat totals ended similar, but it was Allen that really showed significant improvements and it was Allen who the Cardinals coveted last year and were devastated reportedly when we took him.  

There is a reason Allen ended the year with so much buzz and Rosen didn’t.  Allen had an equally, and IMO slightly worse, scenario in terms of talent around him.  Fitz and Kirk were better receiving options.  David Johnson is better than McCoy at this stage of Shary’s career.  The OL was equally as bad but Allen has way more ability to make some thing happen athletically.  

Allen might have been even better in AZ last year than he was in Buffalo having some better skill players to work with.  

So respectfully disagree AZ still takes Murray if Allen was there.  Heck, they may not have even fired their coaching staff if Allen had brought the same late season excitement to that team as he did here.

At the very least, Allen did more with the same bad roster around him during the 2nd half the season.  Although I would actually say he did more with slightly less than Rosen had.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

I think you’re a good poster as well, so no disrespect intended of course.  And we aren’t always going to agree and that’s all good bud.

But I disagree greatly that AZ would have done the same thing to Allen.  Their stat totals ended similar, but it was Allen that really showed significant improvements and it was Allen who the Cardinals coveted last year and were devastated reportedly when we took him.  

There is a reason Allen ended the year with so much buzz and Rosen didn’t.  Allen had an equally, and IMO slightly worse, scenario in terms of talent around him.  Fitz and Kirk were better receiving options.  David Johnson is better than McCoy at this stage of Shary’s career.  The OL was equally as bad but Allen has way more ability to make some thing happen athletically.  

Allen might have been even better in AZ last year than he was in Buffalo having some better skill players to work with.  

So respectfully greatly disagree AZ still takes Murray if Allen was there.  Heck, they may morning have even fired their coaching staff if Allen had brought the same late season excitement to that team as he did here.

At the very least, Allen did more with the same bad roster around him during the 2nd half the season.  Although I would actually say he did more with slightly less than Rosen had.

Defenses ranking

Miami 29

NE 21

Jets 25

Seattle 16

Rams 19

49ers 13

so every NFC West defense was better than the best AFC East one.  Also, I’m sure it didn’t help Allen at all playing with the 2nd ranked defense while Rosen played with the 20th.  Again, it’s not a comparison but to put this all on Rosen is completely foolish.  His situation sucked and it was possibly the worst situation in the nfl for a Rookie qb.

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Larry Fitz says he is an outstanding character and that if he keeps being who he is it will work out for him. But Alphadawg has some people in LA and they say different. 

• Like (+1) 1

I agree that Allen being in Arizona would not have stopped Kingsbury drafting Murray. I think he was going that way the whole time. 

The questions are with Allen there does Wilkes still get fired? My answer is yes he was in way over his head. And then if Wilkes is still fired would they have hired Kliff Kingsbury to work with Josh Allen? On that I am less sure. They hire Kingsbury precisely because they thought he would mesh with Rosen and that is what he told them. Problem was as soon as Kingsbury was hired he made it clear he wanted to draft Murray. I am not sure personality wise Kingsbury and Allen is the same mesh. So if Allen was their QB I think the coaching search probably goes differently. But if it hadn't and they had still landed on Kliff Kingsbury? He'd have drafted Murray and moved on from Allen too. The only one of last year's drafted QBs he'd have stuck with rather than draft Murray in my mind is Baker. 

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Defenses ranking

Miami 29

NE 21

Jets 25

Seattle 16

Rams 19

49ers 13

so every NFC West defense was better than the best AFC East one.  Also, I’m sure it didn’t help Allen at all playing with the 2nd ranked defense while Rosen played with the 20th.  Again, it’s not a comparison but to put this all on Rosen is completely foolish.  His situation sucked and it was possibly the worst situation in the nfl for a Rookie qb.

Our defense sucked too when Allen was hurt and our offense sucked.  Allen elevating the offense greatly helped our defense.  

Rams D was a joke, had worst secondary in NFL most the year, bad example.  

Teams passed on Rosen.  The team who traded for him already gave up on him.  Some teams didn’t even have him on their draft boards and Schefter reported there were GMs who said they don’t even want him on their team let alone the face of it.  

So we can disagree on this, but bottom line is this all happened for a reason.  No amount of excuses can change that.  

At the end of the day, only Rosen can write his own story.  He gets a new start and he will either excel or fail to impress again.  Doesn’t matter what you, me, differing GMs think.  Matters what he does on the field, and so far, it wasn’t enough for one team to keep him.  Wasn’t enough for other teams to want to trade for him.  Wasn’t enough for the Dolphins to even use a 2nd round pick on him and elected to trade down instead where they finally felt comfortable making the trade.  

To be honest, it’s a great move by Miami.  I mean as critical as I am, I still recognize he has plenty of potential and in no way saying he can’t still become a good QB.  I’m just skeptical he can be the field general and leader he needs to be to succeed.  

Some friends and I were discussing this over the weekend.  I think it's great that Rosen will have Fitzpatrick as a mentor.  Fitz is obviously a smart dude.  He's carved out quite a career.  Pairing Fitz's knowledge and experience with an eager/willing apprentice seems like a wise move on Miami's part.

I've never been a big Rosen fan, primarily due to his general attitude/demeanor.  I think he has the physical tools and brain power necessary to be a successful NFL QB.  I think he got railroaded by AZ and I actually hope the kid comes out on top now.

Does anyone know whether Fitz relishes the role of mentor?  I guess I've always assumed that he's willing to teach, guide, etc.  But is there any proof of that?

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So respectfully disagree AZ still takes Murray if Allen was there.  Heck, they may not have even fired their coaching staff if Allen had brought the same late season excitement to that team as he did here.

I'll continue the trend and say that YOU are a quality poster; however, it's entirely possible that Arizona would have done the same thing with Allen.

Kingsbury was in love with Murray and believes he's a perfect fit for his offense. He may very well have felt Allen wasn't a great fit. There's no way to know so it's all speculation at this point. 

The Bills have organizational stability and fully believe Allen is their guy. That's the most important thing.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Larry Fitz says he is an outstanding character and that if he keeps being who he is it will work out for him. But Alphadawg has some people in LA and they say different. 

Yes, I know people who have been around Josh at various points of his career, and none have said anything great about his character.  Most common word used was deuche and fake tough guy.  

And I’m sure there are people who like the kid, but the point is his character has been a point of debate going back before UCLA and while at UCLA.  That debate doesn’t happen if there isn’t something there, plenty of people didn’t like him, including several professional scouts and GMs.  

So it can’t be dismissed, and I trust my friends opinions too.  Doesn’t mean he can’t succeed or mature out of it, just saying it’s not some urban legend, it was legit for a reason.

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'll continue the trend and say that YOU are a quality poster; however, it's entirely possible that Arizona would have done the same thing with Allen.

Kingsbury was in love with Murray and believes he's a perfect fit for his offense. He may very well have felt Allen wasn't a great fit. There's no way to know so it's all speculation at this point. 

The Bills have organizational stability and fully believe Allen is their guy. That's the most important thing.

Thanks and I just don’t think they hire Kliff unless he was 100% committed to Allen had he been a Cardinal.  All reports was they loved Allen in the draft, so I think he comes with more initial commitment and the HC either then doesn’t get fired, or they fire him and hire someone specifically to build around Allen.

All speculation, but that’s just my opinion of course

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Some friends and I were discussing this over the weekend.  I think it's great that Rosen will have Fitzpatrick as a mentor.  Fitz is obviously a smart dude.  He's carved out quite a career.  Pairing Fitz's knowledge and experience with an eager/willing apprentice seems like a wise move on Miami's part.

I've never been a big Rosen fan, primarily due to his general attitude/demeanor.  I think he has the physical tools and brain power necessary to be a successful NFL QB.  I think he got railroaded by AZ and I actually hope the kid comes out on top now.

Does anyone know whether Fitz relishes the role of mentor?  I guess I've always assumed that he's willing to teach, guide, etc.  But is there any proof of that?

I agree Miami is initially a great spot for him and Fitz could be a great mentor.  However it also has risks and may be a losing battle.

1.  How much playing time does he get over Fitz?  I expect Fitz starts the year until they feel Rosen is ready to start sometime 4 to 8 games in.  

2.  Miami roster sucks, his situation is worse than the Cards last year in terms of roster talent.  How well will he even play in that situation?  So can he even do enough to keep Miami from taking a top QB prospect next year?  They have very little invested in Rosen, so he’s going to have an uphill battle to keep Miami going QB early unless he can elevate a bad roster.  

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Thanks and I just don’t think they hire Kliff unless he was 100% committed to Allen had he been a Cardinal.  All reports was they loved Allen in the draft, so I think he comes with more initial commitment and the HC either then doesn’t get fired, or they fire him and hire someone specifically to build around Allen.

All speculation, but that’s just my opinion of course

Still think the coach gets fired. He was in way over his head. I think Kliff would have said he was 100% committed to Allen. He said he was 100% committed to Rosen too. The point I think is that they thought Kliff was a personality mesh with Rosen. If they had Allen then you are looking for a very different type of personality to mesh with him. Kliff may not even have got an interview in those circumstances. 

By the way, I don’t have a crystal ball.  Im not saying he’s going to for sure bust or anything.  The kid has arm talent and smarts, so he hasn’t plenty of upside still.  

But that being said, I just remain skeptical that he has what it takes in the intangible department to reach his potential.  

And now that he’s in our division, we will get 2 close looks at him potentially this year and hopefully I’m right as we don’t need Miami getting a franchise QB so cheap lol

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Still think the coach gets fired. He was in way over his head. I think Kliff would have said he was 100% committed to Allen. He said he was 100% committed to Rosen too. The point I think is that they thought Kliff was a personality mesh with Rosen. If they had Allen then you are looking for a very different type of personality to mesh with him. Kliff may not even have got an interview in those circumstances. 

I agree with you on the HC.  He does still likely get fired.  

And yeah, I think Kliff probably isn’t the hire if they had Allen personally.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

2.  Miami roster sucks, his situation is worse than the Cards last year in terms of roster talent.  How well will he even play in that situation?  So can he even do enough to keep Miami from taking a top QB prospect next year?  They have very little invested in Rosen, so he’s going to have an uphill battle to keep Miami going QB early unless he can elevate a bad roster.  

I think the offensive weapons in Miami are probably less good. The line is a little better - Tunsil is a good player I think the kid they drafted in the 3rd out of Wisconsin will start too. But you are right he isn't walking into a great situation. I think it is probably less of a basket case around him than Arizona but I still don't expect Miami to be a good team. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the offensive weapons in Miami are probably less good. The line is a little better - Tunsil is a good player I think the kid they drafted in the 3rd out of Wisconsin will start too. But you are right he isn't walking into a great situation. I think it is probably less of a basket case around him than Arizona but I still don't expect Miami to be a good team. 

Agreed on all accounts there.  First question will be if they let Rosen start week 1 or start off with Fitz.  My guess is Fitz at first, but I’m sure Miami is going to want to see as much of Rosen as they can knowing they will have shots at top QBs next draft most likely and have to decide if Rosen is their guy to build around or add another prospect a trade top of draft.  

Should just say though don't be so sure that if Josh Rosen goes say 6-10 in Miami this year and they end up with the 8th or 9th pick that it would mean Quarterback. At the moment everyone is talking Herbert and Tua but by January everyone will be thinking "man if we wait one more year and suck that year we could get Trevor Lawrence." I am personally not totally sold on Herbert and even less so on Tua at this stage but Trevor Lawrence? I'd draft the kid now if I could. He is a slam dunk.

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

There's an interesting question about what Allen would fetch in a trade right now. Cardinals barely found one team to give them a 2nd for Rosen. I'm pretty sure that right now Allen would go for a 1st if he was up for trade. The difference is Allen showed the ability to elevate his offense.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

There's an interesting question about what Allen would fetch in a trade right now. Cardinals barely found one team to give them a 2nd for Rosen. I'm pretty sure that right now Allen would go for a 1st if he was up for trade. The difference is Allen showed the ability to elevate his offense.

Would he? I am not certain. I think the perception out there on him is still pretty low. Witness the reactions on the faces of the other NFLN guys when Peter Schraeger said "People in Western New York love #17 they think they have their Quarterback." Because we are in and we poured over every throw he made last year we see progression even within last season we see reasons to really buy in. I think people outside who have no special attachment to the Bills around the league are still unconvinced. 

In any event it is a total hypothetical because he is going nowhere. The job Josh has is make everyone around the league believers in 2019.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Should just say though don't be so sure that if Josh Rosen goes say 6-10 in Miami this year and they end up with the 8th or 9th pick that it would mean Quarterback. At the moment everyone is talking Herbert and Tua but by January everyone will be thinking "man if we wait one more year and suck that year we could get Trevor Lawrence." I am personally not totally sold on Herbert and even less so on Tua at this stage but Trevor Lawrence? I'd draft the kid now if I could. He is a slam dunk.

I highly doubt Miami wins six games. Their talent level is on Arizona from last year

1 minute ago, Ittakestime said:

I highly doubt Miami wins six games. Their talent level is on Arizona from last year

Yea they might not. If they get the 1st pick then I think they probably go QB. But my point was if they are just a bit further down the board the temptation to wait for Lawrence will be massive. And that isn't just the Dolphins but the Bengals, the Titans, the Buccs and anyone else who at the end of 2019 isn't sold on their QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:
24 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Would he? I am not certain. I think the perception out there on him is still pretty low. Witness the reactions on the faces of the other NFLN guys when Peter Schraeger said "People in Western New York love #17 they think they have their Quarterback."

Peter Schrager and the NFLN talking heads are not representative of the NFL. Many people in that sphere thought that Allen was distantly 4th in that year's QB class, and some even thought Lamar Jackson was a better prospect. The NFL obviously felt differently. Allen's physical talent and the improvement he showed would make him a clear 1st round pick right now IMO.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Peter Schrager and the NFLN talking heads are not representative of the NFL. Many people in that sphere thought that Allen was distantly 4th in that year's QB class, and some even thought Lamar Jackson was a better prospect. The NFL obviously felt differently. Allen's physical talent and the improvement he showed would make him a clear 1st round pick right now IMO.

DJ and Charles Davis are very plugged in to NFL teams though.

Like I say, it is supposition, but I think people in and arpund the Bills are higher on him at this point than the rest of the league. 

2 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

What does @WRONG JOSH and @26CornerBlitz think about the other Josh getting so close ? 

I think he's going from one messed up situation to another. Miami clearly rebuilding and gutting their roster so it will be a similar situation. Was hoping he would go to Giants or San Diego so he could get a fair shot. Did not want him on the Pats as I think he would have been highly successful there.

Either way I think Josh Allen is still terrible and can't hit the broad side of a barn but hey at least he can run. What will the excuses be this year when he completes 50% of his passes again? They brought in every available free agent OL, WR, and RB on the planet plus addressed it in the draft. Can't keep using your legs unless you want to end up injured. Eventually he has to actually be a QB.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, WRONG JOSH said:

I think he's going from one messed up situation to another. Miami clearly rebuilding and gutting their roster so it will be a similar situation. Was hoping he would go to Giants or San Diego so he could get a fair shot. Did not want him on the Pats as I think he would have been highly successful there.

Either way I think Josh Allen is still terrible and can't hit the broad side of a barn but hey at least he can run. What will the excuses be this year when he completes 50% of his passes again? They brought in every available free agent OL, WR, and RB on the planet plus addressed it in the draft. Can't keep using your legs unless you want to end up injured. Eventually he has to actually be a QB.

Welcome back little buddy!

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

DJ and Charles Davis are very plugged in to NFL teams though.

Like I say, it is supposition, but I think people in and arpund the Bills are higher on him at this point than the rest of the league. 

No they really arent.

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I agree Miami is initially a great spot for him and Fitz could be a great mentor.  However it also has risks and may be a losing battle.

1.  How much playing time does he get over Fitz?  I expect Fitz starts the year until they feel Rosen is ready to start sometime 4 to 8 games in.  

If anyone can provide a QB mentoring in how to elevate a bad roster and do a lot with a little, that guy would be Fitz.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Would he? I am not certain. I think the perception out there on him is still pretty low. Witness the reactions on the faces of the other NFLN guys when Peter Schraeger said "People in Western New York love #17 they think they have their Quarterback." Because we are in and we poured over every throw he made last year we see progression even within last season we see reasons to really buy in. I think people outside who have no special attachment to the Bills around the league are still unconvinced. 

In any event it is a total hypothetical because he is going nowhere. The job Josh has is make everyone around the league believers in 2019.  

Actually I think the job Josh #17 has is to do whatever to help the Bills win football games.  Just Win Baby.  If we win, I don't really GAF if that makes everyone Allen believers or if they all think it was done with smoke and mirrors and bailing wire and string.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WRONG JOSH said:

1.  Sounds like you are more of a Rosen fan than a Bills fan with the way you talk about him and slam

our own.

2.  You analysis of Allen is terrible.  But hey, I don’t need to tell you that, 90% of this board already has.

3.  Running QBs getting hurt more often is a fallacy.  Has it happened, yes, but not at the rate people claim.  Running QBs haven’t got hurt on the run at a higher rate than pocket QBs getting hurt in the pocket.  In fact one study showed they get hurt a lot less outside the pocket with all the rules protecting them.  They get hurt way more often in the pocket when a 320 pound man who runs a sub 4.6 40 smashes into them from behind or mammoth men roll their legs up.  On the run they slide, get out of bounds, and take hits from MUCH smaller tacklers than what they see in the trenches.  Not to mention they rarely take big blindside hits running down field and brace for impact.  

2 hours ago, WRONG JOSH said:

So Rosen is allowed to have excuses.... Hahahahah

Did you notice he used his legs when his O-Line broke down? Did you notice he got injured staying in the pocket to throw? Did you notice Rosen had a better surrounding cast and got worse as the season went on?

Edited by Boca BIlls