5 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Interesting. I was impressed by it outside and in mostly due to its age and when viewed within the lens of time it was built, but I found nearby Saint Chapelle much more moving. 

image.png.9ac4048d77c0bc9c813fe2f9f7a42dee.png

And? My gosh people! Have we lost all sense of the value here? I’m an Architect. Trying to suggest that this fire is no big deal is truly stunning to me. This discussion is on a football team message board. Can you not see the irony? Talk about false worship. 

Go Bills

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

And? My gosh people! Have we lost all sense of the value here? I’m an Architect. Trying to suggest that this fire is no big deal is truly stunning to me. This discussion is on a football team message board. Can you not see the irony? Talk about false worship. 

Go Bills

No one's suggesting it's not a big deal, Deek.

:lol:

18 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Go Bills

No one said it’s not a big deal. Not me and not Joe. 

What a few people have said is that the reaction could use some perspective. It’s just stuff destined to be the same ash as us. 

Joe’s take is more along the lines of emphasizing the hereafter putting it in perspective while I’m a little more looking at it in the context of both human and cosmic history to put the fire in perspective.  

The headlines here will fade quickly. Mueller will knock it way down the papers. 

42 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

No one said it’s not a big deal. Not me and not Joe. 

What a few people have said is that the reaction could use some perspective. It’s just stuff destined to be the same ash as us. 

Joe’s take is more along the lines of emphasizing the hereafter putting it in perspective while I’m a little more looking at it in the context of both human and cosmic history to put the fire in perspective.  

The headlines here will fade quickly. Mueller will knock it way down the papers. 

It's not a big deal. 

There, I said it.  I feel the same way about this that I do the Library at Alexandria, The Frauenkirche, Monte Cassino, The House of Wisdom, etc.  Time conquers all.  

Ok, I just want to tell everyone something I did this weekend that is sort of related to this topic. 

So I have been a little interested in the Nazi invasion of France in 1940. So I was going to buy a book on the topic when I find out Marc Bloch wrote a book about that! I was kind of surprised because I knew he was murdered by the filthy scum Nazis during the war for his heroic resistance efforts. He was a historian of Feudalism--so the tie in to the story here---and I have always known about him through my dad and in college I read his book "The Historians Craft." But how could he write about the invasion when he was actively in the resistance? Turns out he was in the French army during both wars and wrote the book after the fall of France while he was in the resistance. Ya, crazy I know! So the book is on its way. That's all. You may throw the insults at me now, just like Marc Bloch, a personal hero of mine, I will resist to the last! 

49 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

It's not a big deal. 

There, I said it.  I feel the same way about this that I do the Library at Alexandria, The Frauenkirche, Monte Cassino, The House of Wisdom, etc.  Time conquers all.  

The Library was a much much bigger deal than the burning of what was mostly rebuilt portions of the church. Scales of difference. 

48 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Ok, I just want to tell everyone something I did this weekend that is sort of related to this topic. 

So I have been a little interested in the Nazi invasion of France in 1940. So I was going to buy a book on the topic when I find out Marc Bloch wrote a book about that! I was kind of surprised because I knew he was murdered by the filthy scum Nazis during the war for his heroic resistance efforts. He was a historian of Feudalism--so the tie in to the story here---and I have always known about him through my dad and in college I read his book "The Historians Craft." But how could he write about the invasion when he was actively in the resistance? Turns out he was in the French army during both wars and wrote the book after the fall of France while he was in the resistance. Ya, crazy I know! So the book is on its way. That's all. You may throw the insults at me now, just like Marc Bloch, a personal hero of mine, I will resist to the last! 

Let us know your thoughts on the book and thank you for a good post!

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

The Library was a much much bigger deal than the burning of what was mostly rebuilt portions of the church. Scales of difference. 

I don't care, I'm just too lazy to put you on ignore.

27 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

THE crown of Thorns?? 

Oh, a replica...

The Paris Fire Brigade Chaplain has been hailed a hero after he went into the burning Notre Dame cathedral to rescue the Crown of Thorns.

Father Fournier has been thanked for his bravery after saving the crown, a priceless religious relic made to resemble the one worn by Jesus Christ before his crucifixion, and the Blessed Sacrament.

Some even called for the chaplain to be made a saint for his work saving the priceless artefacts on Monday.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/notre-dame-fire-hero-fire-brigade-chaplain-praised-for-rescuing-crown-of-thorns-a4118956.html

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

You'll open the book and go " What?  No pictures to color?!"

7 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Go Bills

It's a big deal to some, not to others. Just the way of the world. The pyramids, should they be destroyed one day, just another day in the life of eternity. 

I'm with you on this one, but people just see the world as they see it. Thankfully, for those who see it as we do, there are obviously many others who feel the same.

22 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

How DARE he offer sympathy and condolences! He's a MONSTER! 

Not just sympathy and condolences. He also offered assistance.

He's beyond being a monster; so far beyond that 'monster' would be a compliment. He's some sort of racist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic, bigoted, TWO scoop eating, wall building, actual literal super mecha-Hitler.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Not just sympathy and condolences. He also offered assistance.

He's beyond being a monster; so far beyond that 'monster' would be a compliment. He's some sort of racist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic, bigoted, TWO scoop eating, wall building, actual literal super mecha-Hitler.

Hey, he's just trying to pick up a contract or two on the rebuild. After that Trump Tower deal in Moscow got blown up he's gotta do something to make a living.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Could be sun reflection? Who knows? 

https://www.citizenfreepress.com/breaking/notre-dame-fire-person-moving-and-flash-on-the-roof/

In the comments section below someone posted a 2-year-old link about how much disrepair Notre Dame was in.

When reading that article it struck me how much workmanship has actually declined over the centuries. The repairs done a couple of hundred years ago was done cheaply. Fast forward to 2017  and it seemed like the French government barely gave a shite. More worried about cucking to invading hordes than preserving their own culture. 

2 hours ago, Foxx said:

The mosque fire was in a guard's room not in the mosque. It was put out with a fire extinguisher. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Early reports coming in that the cause of the fire in Notre Dame was a "computer glitch". 

In which case - my stink eye goes WAY up. 

I knew the new Apple iEucharist was a bad idea...

• Haha (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

French Senate says Notre-Dame must be restored exactly how it was

</snip>

On Monday evening, the French Senate approved the government's Notre-Dame restoration bill - but added a clause that it must be restored to the state it was before the blaze, striking a blow to the government which had launched an international architecture competition to debate ideas on the restoration.

</snip>

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

</snip>

On Monday evening, the French Senate approved the government's Notre-Dame restoration bill - but added a clause that it must be restored to the state it was before the blaze, striking a blow to the government which had launched an international architecture competition to debate ideas on the restoration.

</snip>

Not sure where they'll find an old growth forest old enough to faithfully replace the timbers, but do appreciate the sentiment.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

</snip>

</snip>

So, they want to wait 50 years for the wood support beams to be treated by submerging them in a swamp for 25 years, then left to dry for another 25 years? They want precision, right?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/legendary-notre-dame-roof-astounded-middle-ages-carpenter/ar-BBW0lWX#page=2

26 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

So, they want to wait 50 years for the wood support beams to be treated by submerging them in a swamp for 25 years, then left to dry for another 25 years? They want precision, right?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/legendary-notre-dame-roof-astounded-middle-ages-carpenter/ar-BBW0lWX#page=2

Better get movin’ then. Or better yet, there’s 1000s of HGTV shows and DIY blogs on how to make sh***y faux beams from Home Depot pine with a pin nailer and minwax. Only takes a weekend.

• Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not sure where they'll find an old growth forest old enough to faithfully replace the timbers, but do appreciate the sentiment.

I think it is more about not being "inclusive" in the rebuild.

1 hour ago, Koko78 said:

They can just pull them out of Lake Superior.  

I don't believe the beams were original, anyway.  This isn't the first time the cathedral has caught fire.

17 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

They can just pull them out of Lake Superior.  

I don't believe the beams were original, anyway.  This isn't the first time the cathedral has caught fire.

As long as they pull it from the southern shores, they can claim French lineage.

• 4 weeks later...