Bills host OG Quinton Spain from Titans***Update...SIGNED***

13 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The answers is  - You can't fix  (cherry pickers) stupid.

Yes, in 2017 Zay Jones caught only 36.5% of the passes thrown in his direction.  (how many were catchable) 

In 2018 Zay Jones caught 54.9% of the passes thrown in his direction. 

Not stellar but an improvement you hope to see get better with age.  

here's mine 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2018.htm

we saw a number of passes in 2017 and 2018 sail completely out of range of a catchable ball.  again, i'm not saying zay doesn't need to keep getting better, but there was a significant improvement from year 1 to 2.  i'm not sure why there's so much venom towards him.

6 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Can we get this thread back on track?  

There are plenty of Zay Jones sucks threads 

i honestly forgot this thread wasn't about zay for a second.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, hemma said:

Zay is listed on Page 3 for dropped passes last year:  https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2018&week=100&category=RECEIVING&opp=0&sort=11&qualified=1&sortOrder=0&page=1

He had 3, which is an ok drop rate.

Jones, Julio ATL   - 9 dropped passes? 

Edelman, Julian NE  - 8 dropped passes? 

3 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Jones, Julio ATL   - 9 dropped passes? 

Edelman, Julian NE  - 8 dropped passes? 

Bills fans should probably get off Zay and spend more time riding Marcus Murphy..... 11 catches, 3 drops for 26 yards.

Steering train back 

Mike Rodak ESPN Staff Writer 

The Bills on Wednesday signed free agent guard Quinton Spain to a one-year deal. Spain started 48 games for the Titans the past four seasons. He is expected to compete for a starting job at either guard spot, along with 2018 fifth-round pick Wyatt Teller and free-agent signings Spencer Long and Jon Feliciano. Between Spain, Long, Feliciano, center Mitch Morse and tackles Ty Nsekhe and LaAdrian Waddle, the Bills have signed six free agent offensive linemen this offseason with a total of 317 games of experience and 196 career starts.

Between these six linemen, the Bills have added 317 career games, 196 career starts and $39.05 million guaranteed (not including Spain). There is a strong possibility the Bills will have four new starters on their offensive line next season with the draft still to come.

• Like (+1) 5

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

"Depth signing?"  :blink:

8 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

You have to imagine Johnson's interview for O line coach:

Daboll:  What would you do as our O line coach

Johnson:  Replace everyone except maybe Dawkins, because they stink.

Daboll:  I was thinking the exact same thing.

Beane:  Ditto.  Consider it done.

Yet when Shady says "I wish I had just one of those Alabama OL" everyone goes mental. :rolleyes:

17 hours ago, Rubes said:

I’m just ready to see what happens with the receiving numbers once Allen has more than 1.2 seconds in the “pocket”.

I think someone posted here before, and correct me if I am wrong, that Allen was sacked 17 times within 2.5 seconds of the snap of the ball.

The added stat is that total represents 60.7% of all his sacks (28), and that was in 12 games.  

I would be thrilled if this line, and Allen with Second Year Eyes were to cut his sack total to 20 in 16 games...just to start.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I think someone posted here before, and correct me if I am wrong, that Allen was sacked 17 times within 2.5 seconds of the snap of the ball.

The added stat is that total represents 60.7% of all his sacks (28), and that was in 12 games.  

I would be thrilled if this line, and Allen with Second Year Eyes were to cut his sack total to 20 in 16 games...just to start.

20 is pretty low, like very low. I'm sure we'd all love to see that, but I'm not sure that's realistic. The line can't help but be improved from last year. The talent is significantly better, but it may take a little time to gel. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, TOboy said:

20 is pretty low, like very low. I'm sure we'd all love to see that, but I'm not sure that's realistic. The line can't help but be improved from last year. The talent is significantly better, but it may take a little time to gel. 

I know and it's a dream.  Man though, TOboy, I really don't want to see this kid getting dropped anywhere close to 30 times.

Wasn't TT sacked 20 or less times?  He didn't have the quickest release and Allen is quick to move in the pocket.

These guys have to be better than what we've had...man, they just have to be.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SWATeam said:

Josh Reed had 10 career TD's.  Zay had 7 last year.  And Zay had more yards in his 2nd season than Reed had in any season of his career.

Let's not be so quick to claim with certainty that we know who Zay Jones is just yet.

I don't know man. It's a different era. Those numbers mean very little imo. Zay is meh. He doesn't have any traits that show tremendous upside that says he is any more than what we have seen. I think he is what he is, which is meh. 

Most of his numbers came in garbage time: 

https://fantasydata.com/9-best-fantasy-football-garbage-time-players-of-2018

He's number 5 on the top ten garbage time fantasy players of 2018. Again this isn't then end all be all, but it does mean that you have to take his statistics with a grain of salt. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

4 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I know and i'ts a dream.  Man though, TOboy, I really don't want to see this kid getting dropped anywhere close to 30 times.

Wasn't TT sacked 20 or less times?  He didn't have the quickest release and Allen is quick to move in the pocket.

These guys have to be better than what we've had...man, they just have to be.

I looked this up because you got me curious. According to Pro Football Reference, he gave up 36, 42, and 46 sacks in his years with the Bills. The 42 sacks taken lead the league. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TOboy said:

I looked this up because you got me curious. According to Pro Football Reference, he gave up 36, 42, and 46 sacks in his years with the Bills. The 42 sacks taken lead the league. 

I have super, super, super, super poor memory.  :lol:

I swear I thought there was one year when they weren't getting to him.

...he did hold onto the ball for a bit.  ;)

Honestly, I really don't understand how a guy like Spain goes undrafted. He was really good at WSV. His film was him smashing guys, and his combien numbers were fine. Idk, maybe it's the sloppy body? I love this guy. He's a road grader. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just to add, I do think Spencer Long will surprise people if we leave him at right guard. He started there at Nebraska for three years and was drafted as a guard. Washington moved him to center out of necessity and he played well and earned a big contract. But I think his upside and fit is at the guard position. I want to see what he can do if you just leave him at guard and take the center responsibilities off of him. He's got some pedigree and started a lot of games in the league and in college. He's my favorite to start at RG opposite Spain.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Logic said:

Your post is kind of a perfect example of the undue Zay hate.

You just mentioned Zay Jones in the same breath as Aaron Maybin and EJ Manuel, both of whom were draft busts. Zay Jones is not a bust. He has not yet become an upper echelon NFL WR, that much is clear. But to mention him in the same breath as Aaron Maybin?

Zay Jones has 968 yards and 9 TDs across his first two NFL seasons, catching passes from guys like Tyrod Taylor, Nathan Peterman, Derek Anderson, Matt Barkley, and rookie Josh Allen. He had more touchdown receptions last year than AJ Green, Alshon Jeffrey, TY Hilton, Odell Beckham Jr, Keenan Allen, Robert Woods, etc.

Just for the sake of comparison, Bills all time great Eric Moulds had 573 yards and 2 TDs in his first two seasons, and he was catching passes from Jim Kelly in year 1.

Zay's no All Pro at this point. But he's far from a bust, and I think he'll be a #2 WR in the NFL for a long time.

What did Sammy have in his first two years? And who was throwing to him? Just curious

10 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Just to add, I do think Spencer Long will surprise people if we leave him at right guard. He started there at Nebraska for three years and was drafted as a guard. Washington moved him to center out of necessity and he played well and earned a big contract. But I think his upside and fit is at the guard position. I want to see what he can do if you just leave him at guard and take the center responsibilities off of him. He's got some pedigree and started a lot of games in the league and in college. He's my favorite to start at RG opposite Spain.  

He's my favorite to win RG.  Dawkins at LT, Spain at LG, Morse at C and Nsekhe at RT.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I'd be surprised.

His versatility makes him perfect to backup at both center and guard.

4 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I feel like this was the plan with Long, particularly when they acquired Morse.  Long will get the chance to earn the RG position and also serve as the backup C unless another guy shows propensity for that role (or if they keep Bodine).

36 minutes ago, Chemical said:

What did Sammy have in his first two years? And who was throwing to him? Just curious

Sammy was great his first 2 years. He had 125 catches for 2039 yards and 15 TDs. 

18 minutes ago, TOboy said:

Sammy was great his first 2 years. He had 125 catches for 2039 yards and 15 TDs. 

Careful there. Stevie Johnson put up better numbers for 3 straight years and people here thought he was trash and couldn’t get rid of him quick enough. 

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Zay Jones is Josh Reed. He's meh. But what makes things worse for a lot of people, me included is that we gave up draft capital to trade up to get him, and passed on Cooper Kupp and JuJu. Now that's not Zay's fault, but it is what it is. What is his fault is that he doesn't catch the ball. Great receivers like TO had a lot of drops, but he was a gamebreaker. You can't be a meh jag receiver and not be able to catch the ball. Zay is nowhere near Moulds in terms of ability and upside. Zay is a Josh Reed type. 

I have said this it feels like a thousand times, but I'll say it again: When you look at the production of JuJu or Kupp, you need to factor in the offense in which they are playing and the quarterback throwing them the ball. If you inserted Zay Jones into Cooper Kupp's slot spot, between Woods and Watkins/Cooks, I am not certain that he wouldn't produce at the same clip. Smith-Schuster's case is different, but not by much: He was in an extremely high volume passing offense, and was the beneficiary of both catching passes from a Hall of Fame quarterback and of having Antonio Brown on the other side of him. The Rams and Steelers both had top 5 offenses and top 10 QB situations. Again, take Zay Jones away from the Rick Dennison offense and the Taylors, Andersons, and Petermans of the world and put HIM in a high volume passing offense with a high quality QB and lets see how he does.

Until I see Zay Jones get to operate in a legitimate NFL offense with a legitimate NFL QB, I'm not closing the book on him. Even just in the post-Allen-injury portion of last year, Jones posted games of 4/67/2, 5/67/1, and 6/93/2. Let me see him this year with an improved o-line and improved Allen before I'm willing to admit he's Josh Reed.

1 hour ago, Chemical said:

Is there a point you're driving at or do you actually want me to answer this question? If you've got a point, well...Pitter patter, let's get at 'er.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I haven’t read every post in this thread but I’ve read much of it. This post is good but also reminds me that way too many people are forgetting about Waddle. Not sure why I’ve seen so little about him here. 

22 minutes ago, Logic said:

.Is there a point you're driving at or do you actually want me to answer this question? If you've got a point, well...Pitter patter, let's get at 'er.

We had Sammy. All we had to do was not trade him and not draft Zay. Then maybe we could evaluate our young QB without making excuses for his lack of weapons. 

Your point about maybin is interesting. At least Maybin wasn’t a negative by dropping passes. I’ll take a zero over a negative any day.

Aaron Maybin also never embarrassed himself and the franchise with a naked blood video in the off-season. 

I’ll take Aaron Maybin today if it means Zay is cut.

3 minutes ago, Chemical said:

We had Sammy. All we had to do was not trade him and not draft Zay. Then maybe we could evaluate our young QB without making excuses for his lack of weapons. 

Your point about maybin is interesting. At least Maybin wasn’t a negative by dropping passes. I’ll take a zero over a negative any day.

Aaron Maybin also never embarrassed himself and the franchise with a naked blood video in the off-season. 

this is unusually stupid.  

• Like (+1) 6

4 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Dude

2 minutes ago, teef said:

this is unusually stupid.  

You took the words right out of my mouth.

And by saying he'd take Maybin over Zay Jones, he inadvertently became the PERFECT example for the "overboard Zay hate" contingent.

Well done.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

I'd like to see a link to that......

Just because you got Andre Reed on your show this week, don't mean Zay sucks?

Zay pretty much sucks, for where he was drafted, and the fact they traded up to select him.  That draft selection was a big goof.

1 minute ago, Chemical said:

It’s called hyperbole

it's called stupid.  as in, you're stupid for typing it out.

edit:  i'm willing to be you had no idea what hyperbole was until logic mentioned it earlier in this thread.

Edited by teef

Just now, teef said:

it's called stupid.  as in, you're stupid for typing it out.

Nah you’re taking it too seriously. I don’t need to try to insult other posters but if I exaggerate it will be for my hate of Zay Jones. He’s my least favorite player probably of all time after that video. 

16 minutes ago, Chemical said:

He did score 7 TDs and a 2pt conversion.

That's more points scored than Shady, Foster and Benjamin combined.

just saying

• Haha (+1) 1