Bills re-sign Jordan Phillips

This is a solid signing.  Gives the Bills a stopgap to address the DL this offseason and next.  If Phillips plays well this year, who knows, maybe Bills sign him to longer deal next year.  I'm curious to see the $ involved. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, hemma said:

I don't subscribe to PFF, but according to Rodak:

"Pro Football Focus ranked Phillips as its 108th out of 112 graded interior defensive lineman last season."

PFF isn't the end all, for sure, but I think Beane still has more work to do on the DL.

PFF is useful albeit rarely tells the whole story. However he graded much better after he joined the Bills

16 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Would not be surprised to see Buffalo still take another DT.  McCoach gotta get his Dlinemen. 

Absolutely.  They can work on the offense later, just in time for that 7-year rebuild to kick in, right BV?  ;)

16 hours ago, Estro said:

An average player, I'm hoping the contract shows it.  Not saying that in a negative way, average players are valuable in the NFL as long as their salary indicates that.  In guessing Jordan Phillip's m8hhtve won this negotiation.  Anything more than $3.5-$4M is an overpay IMO

16 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Let's see what the money looks like--my guess back in December was $2.5-$3.5M per

My guess all along has been +/- $2 million, being a 1 year prove it deal, and Phillips saying the money will come down the road, my guess is it's under $2 million, maybe $1.5-1.75 million.  

He's a rotational guy, at least up to this point in his career, that got waived last year and although made some plays was inconsistent. He has a lot to prove and my guess his agent found out there's not much of a market for him. So they know he has some value in the Bills' system and that the Bills wanted him, which makes it a good place to try to prove future value (and play for a new contract). 

Good for both sides. 

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I dont think we go DL in round 1 unless it is a edge rusher now

but that is just me.......I liked the work that both Phillips did last year

I believe that Phillips will simply be rotating with Star. He’s not getting starter money with a 1 year deal most likely. I think they will let Harry compete at 3 tech but ultimately take that guy in the draft. We will see!

2 hours ago, eball said:

Absolutely.  They can work on the offense later, just in time for that 7-year rebuild to kick in, right BV?  ;)

Draft loaded at TE, OL and WR so Bills can pick up players throughout draft and have collateral to move up to get a targeted guy.  

If Oliver, Quinnen Williams, Bosa or Allen drop to us at 9 - I believe you have to take them.  If all are gone could see OBD try to trade down to get additional top 75 pick.

Memoryof Colts, Jags and patriots RBs going over 200 YPG is stuck in my mind.  Bills need help in DL interior in a big way now.

The money doesn't really matter since it's only a one year deal and we have plenty of space, but glad to have him back for another year. I suspect he's the depth guy behind whatever DT we draft though.

https://twitter.com/thadbrown7/status/1102994091669970945?s=21

@thadbrown7

Jordan Phillips: "I was just trying to get a deal done with Buffalo. That was my choice, where I wanted to be. It didn't really matter what the numbers were."

#Bills

54 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I wish it was a multi year deal.  He’s just a baby still

Sounds like it may have been the Bills who pushed for the 1 year deal

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

https://twitter.com/thadbrown7/status/1102994091669970945?s=21

@thadbrown7

Jordan Phillips: "I was just trying to get a deal done with Buffalo. That was my choice, where I wanted to be. It didn't really matter what the numbers were."

#Bills

Sounds like it may have been the Bills who pushed for the 1 year deal

Love these quotes. Hopefully the young man will continue to mature and grow into that monster ability that he has. He has all pro potential imo

$4.5 M... maybe a little more than what I guessed, but still OK by me..

Wonder if Beane gave him a bit more after the initial offer to get it done before FA?

One year keeps him motivated... would love for him to kick on in 2019 and sign a bigger longer term deal after that..

I really feel like people dont give this guy enough credit for his play (I know I know coming from me the homer)

for a HUGE DT......the guy is incredibally mobile and gets into the backfield.....all the while taking up a lot of space in the middle

The guy I really have my eye on now is Horrible Harry........can he take another step in his second year.....and make this rotation really solid?

31 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I really feel like people dont give this guy enough credit for his play (I know I know coming from me the homer)

for a HUGE DT......the guy is incredibally mobile and gets into the backfield.....all the while taking up a lot of space in the middle

The guy I really have my eye on now is Horrible Harry........can he take another step in his second year.....and make this rotation really solid?

He's really athletic for a guy his size. Hopefully with some more time on the field we'll see more production. I think McDermott can get him going.

And if they do go DL with their first pick, I think it's gonna be one of those guys that can play both inside and on the edge. Versatility is a major key trait they love for this defense.

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I dont think we go DL in round 1 unless it is a edge rusher now

but that is just me.......I liked the work that both Phillips did last year

All signs are pointing to oline imo

6 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

He's really athletic for a guy his size. Hopefully with some more time on the field we'll see more production. I think McDermott can get him going.

And if they do go DL with their first pick, I think it's gonna be one of those guys that can play both inside and on the edge. Versatility is a major key trait they love for this defense.

The more time goes on I am starting to think Burns is a legit pick at 9 for the bills (maybe they just dont get the value offered in a trade down)

I am dissecting Burns play this week.....he is NOT Aaron Maybin....he is what Aaron Mabin was supposed to be when we drafted him.

20 hours ago, Buddo said:

Good, one hole less to fill.

While I'm not 100% sold on the guy, he certainly has ability, and with Kyle retiring, the added continuity he brings, will help.

Probably a 'prove it' type deal, but not necessarily especially 'cheap'. I like how he genuinely seems to want to be in Buffalo.

We have to hope Phillips improves in his sophomore season to allow a nice rotation that McD likes ro run. 

10 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The more time goes on I am starting to think Burns is a legit pick at 9 for the bills (maybe they just dont get the value offered in a trade down)

I am dissecting Burns play this week.....he is NOT Aaron Maybin....he is what Aaron Mabin was supposed to be when we drafted him.

EDGE is a huge need. This year they are probably ok but depending on what they do with Shaq, both he and Hughes could be gone next year and look at the FA market this year for pass rushers - almost no one hitting the market, it’s going to be Tre Flowers and no one.  the good ones are too valuable and they are crazy $$. And the Bills absolutely need to improve their pass rush. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Burns is intriguing. I don't know how well he'd fare if they shifted him inside here and there. A guy like Rashan Gary makes a lot of sense as he can play both inside and outside very well. I just don't think he'll be around when they pick at 9. 

1 minute ago, blacklabel said:

Burns is intriguing. I don't know how well he'd fare if they shifted him inside here and there. A guy like Rashan Gary makes a lot of sense as he can play both inside and outside very well. I just don't think he'll be around when they pick at 9. 

Yeah I am more looking at guys that can realistically be there at 9.....that is why I never mention Bosa in any of my stuff

Some of these guys are just off the board cuz they wont be there and Gary is one of those

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

EDGE is a huge need. This year they are probably ok but depending on what they do with Shaq, both he and Hughes could be gone next year and look at the FA market this year for pass rushers - almost no one hitting the market, it’s going to be Tre Flowers and no one.  the good ones are too valuable and they are crazy $$. And the Bills absolutely need to improve their pass rush. 

i agree. I think its whats separating them from the handful of elite defenses in the league. pass rush was moody and inconsistent last year and mostly came up small in large moments. 

add a rusher to an already stout defense and I think its a top 3-5 unit.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Yeah I am more looking at guys that can realistically be there at 9.....that is why I never mention Bosa in any of my stuff

Some of these guys are just off the board cuz they wont be there and Gary is one of those

Right on. The more I think about it, the more it really makes sense for them to go DL/DE with their first pick. It's just so loaded in that position group this year and with Hughes and Lawson both in contract years, it just makes sense. Beyond that, when McBeane were in Carolina, they had a loaded DL following the 2014 season but they still took Vernon Butler with their first round pick that year. Adding strength to a strength is never a bad idea. And this year, I think that's just gonna be their best value. Maybe they'll luck out and some teams will scramble up into the top 10 for a QB and that'll push down some blue chip guys to Buffalo. Here's hoping.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

i agree. I think its whats separating them from the handful of elite defenses in the league. pass rush was moody and inconsistent last year and mostly came up small in large moments. 

add a rusher to an already stout defense and I think its a top 3-5 unit.

We're not a stout defense.  We're a team that lead the league against in passing yards and 7th in int's and fumbles recovered.  We're middle of the pack in rushing yards allowed and points, and near the bottom in sacks.  

I just think we have a good amount of work to do from a personnel standpoint on defense to get stout.  

18 minutes ago, White Linen said:

We're not a stout defense.  We're a team that lead the league against in passing yards and 7th in int's and fumbles recovered.  We're middle of the pack in rushing yards allowed and points, and near the bottom in sacks.  

I just think we have a good amount of work to do from a personnel standpoint on defense to get stout.  

totally disagree. 2nd in total yds against, 8th in total TO's forced, and a 8th in 3rd down%(that's a big one). those are important numbers.... middle of the pack in rush d and points against. if you're worst stats are only middle of the pack you are a stout unit.... all with an anemic offense for most of the year.

a pass rush gives them the ability to be a top 5 unit. I wont be mad about a pass rusher at 9. I have other preferences but I would understand it and it would make the defense a force.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

totally disagree. 2nd in total yds against, 8th in total TO's forced, and a 8th in 3rd down%(that's a big one). those are important numbers.... middle of the pack in rush d and points against. all with an anemic offense for most of the year.

a pass rush gives them the ability to be a top unit. I wont be mad about a pass rusher at 9. I have other preferences but I would understand it and it would make the defense a force.

So a team that doesn't play the run well and doesn't sack the QB is stout?

5 minutes ago, White Linen said:

So a team that doesn't play the run well and doesn't sack the QB is stout?

yup. lets just look at 2 stats..... one of which they are middle of the pack. they didn't play the run bad.

good talk

Edited by Stank_Nasty

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

yup. lets just look at 2 stats..... one of which they are middle of the pack. they didn't play the run bad.

you don't like to look at things as whole. i'll remember that next time.

good talk, bruh.

I'm not trying to argue with you - I just think we're far from set on defense and that it's stout.  

I do agree that the offense didn't help consistently and an offense scoring, moving the ball and winning the possession time is important.  

I also know that teams didn't have to throw to win several games. 

Hey we're all Bills fans and want the team to win.  I want most of the draft and FA to help the offense and I believe we'll address a few of those defensive holes also.   

13 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I'm not trying to argue with you - I just think we're far from set on defense and that it's stout.  

I do agree that the offense didn't help consistently and an offense scoring, moving the ball and winning the possession time is important.  

I also know that teams didn't have to throw to win several games. 

Hey we're all Bills fans and want the team to win.  I want most of the draft and FA to help the offense and I believe we'll address a few of those defensive holes also.   

fair enough... i'm sick and probably a little more gritty today than I should be. I disagree that the defense, as a whole, wasn't a solid unit.

regardless our preferences for the offseason are the on same page.

6 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

fair enough... i'm sick and probably a little more gritty today than I should be. I disagree that the defense, as a whole, wasn't a solid unit.

regardless our preferences for the offseason are the on same page.

Let's take it a step further.  This is where I disagree with Yolo above.  I want to go after one of the FA pass rushers (i.e. Houston).  I'm satisfied with Hughes and think he puts enough pressure on the QB despite not having the sack totals.  I would not pick up the 5th year option on Shaq and I'd justify that 2020 money with my new 2019 defensive end signing.  

• Like (+1) 1