Report: Bills interested in UFA TE Jesse James

YoloinOhio

29 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

He at least knows how to play with a QB who can extend plays.  But I’m not a fan, he’s not a difference maker.

I’d prefer Maxx Williams.  He is at least a really good blocker.

Could not agree more. I'm not opposed but this signing would not bring a bulge to my britches. I understand it's a position of need but I would also take Maxx Williams over James. We definitely need to grab one of the top 3 guys in the draft. Any combo of Williams/ Hock, Fant or Smith would solve our TE problem for many seasons.

42 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Croom will be lucky to be on a roster after TC.

I don't agree with this.   I think teams these days want one or two big tight ends who can handle the blocking load and be solid outlet and one or two who are  sort of hybrid wideouts who may give up some on the blocking side but are more legitimate downfield threats.  Croom is clearly the latter, with good hands and decent speed.   I think we'll see more of him next season.  If he's gone, it will mean that the Bills have a really good collection of TEs.  

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't agree with this.   I think teams these days want one or two big tight ends who can handle the blocking load and be solid outlet and one or two who are  sort of hybrid wideouts who may give up some on the blocking side but are more legitimate downfield threats.  Croom is clearly the latter, with good hands and decent speed.   I think we'll see more of him next season.  If he's gone, it will mean that the Bills have a really good collection of TEs.  

I like Croom, too. I just think he's more of a flex tight end/receiving option than someone who should be counted on as a TE1. As TE2 or TE3, though, I think he has definite value.

Edited by Logic

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Among all the TE names we have heard bandied about, this is the one I am most excited about. Young, healthy TE on an upward trajectory.

And the Bills Mafia could embrace a name like that.

These are the type of FAs I believe the Bills will go after. Younger guys who are going into their 2nd contract with upside. Guys they won't break the bank for but valuable role type players.

23 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

These are the type of FAs I believe the Bills will go after. Younger guys who are going into their 2nd contract with upside. Guys they won't break the bank for but valuable role type players.

Right.  The Bills will sign very few guys who have been in the league more than four or five years.  They want a few veteran leaders; everyone else are likely to be guys coming off their first contract.  

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

James is fine but he’s just a guy. Anyone that thinks this will be different from the other “guys” that we have had filling the position is mistaken. It’s a decent addition because we need 2 TEs. Adding James makes the Bills a little less desperate but TE is still a need.

TE is one of the position groups, along with OL, where they have literal roster holes and can’t just focus on upgrading. They need both bodies and talent. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Why a stopgap?   I watched the video of him and had this reaction:

Good all around TE.   Good size.  Not the fastest of all TEs, but he runs pretty well.   Not the most powerful in the Gronk sense, and he goes down pretty easily, but he's big and can take the hit.   Watch him play and it's clear he's an upgrade over Clay, and Clay wasn't horrible. 

I don't want a tight end who is the feature receiver in my lineup; I want a guy who's a reliable guy who runs good routes and catches the ball when it's thrown to him.   James looks like that kind of guy. 

If the Bills do what we're expecting, which is to get Allen to take the sure-thing short pass instead of the well covered middle-range ball, James looks like a good tight end for that scheme.  

He lost playing time in 2018 to Vance MacDOnald, but I think that's more of an indication of how good MacDonald was, not that James isn't good enough.   

He's young, good size.   If he believes in the process, I think he'd be a nice addition.  

I also noticed that he seemed to get open when things broke down and alot of his catches came in that fashion.  Maybe they are looking at that a bit given Allen's elusiveness.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

100% agree...he is closer to “body” than “talent” is my point. James would be a fine TE 2. 

Gentlemen, 90% of the players on the roster are bodies, not talent.  Six to ten guys are talent.   TE is NOT the position that I care so much about when it comes to talent.   

Give me talent at QB, running back, one or two wide outs, one or two offensive linemen, edge rusher, one or two linebackers and one or two DBs.   

A talent at tight end is a luxury.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, ChanticleerBillsFan said:

I also noticed that he seemed to get open when things broke down and alot of his catches came in that fashion.  Maybe they are looking at that a bit given Allen's elusiveness.

I agree.  He has a nice little burst that lets him get to the open spot quickly.

Clay was a decent old-fashioned tight end.   James is an up grade from that.   Moves better, has better hands, but still has the bulk to be the blocker you need.   

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

100% agree...he is closer to “body” than “talent” is my point. James would be a fine TE 2. 

Yeah - Bills may need to “overpay” here ( not specifically for James but at the position in FA) and some may overreact to that but they can’t only use the draft to rebuild that group. They will draft one I’m sure but I will expect these types of signings.

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Gentlemen, 90% of the players on the roster are bodies, not talent.  Six to ten guys are talent.   TE is NOT the position that I care so much about when it comes to talent.   

Give me talent at QB, running back, one or two wide outs, one or two offensive linemen, edge rusher, one or two linebackers and one or two DBs.   

A talent at tight end is a luxury.  

There is no disagreement. We are saying the same thing. The point was, “if you are expecting this guy to sign with the Bills and explode prepare to be disappointed. He is Scott Chandler in his prime. A solid TE and the ideal 2nd guy there.”

Im a big fan of drafting TJ Hockenson.  However, I am all good signing Jesse James too.   The other TE I would really like to go get, and prefer him over Jesse James, is Cameron Brate.  Talk is because of OJ Howard, he could be available via trade or maybe even be cap casualty at some point. Very good TE, and still young, just had a future beast in OJ now ahead of him and Bucs have lots of other needs.  

But Jesse James would be a good signing, just hope we don't over pay like we did for Charles Clay based on potential.  I would also be good signing Maxx Williams too.

Still would love to see us nab someone like Hockenson though in the draft who could be special.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

And a PED suspension so he has an “in” with McBeane, but why isn’t baltimore going to keep him?

They got a lot of key players to bring back that are more important and cant afford them all.  Especially on their defense

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

There is no disagreement. We are saying the same thing. The point was, “if you are expecting this guy to sign with the Bills and explode prepare to be disappointed. He is Scott Chandler in his prime. A solid TE and the ideal 2nd guy there.”

Maybe better than Chandler, but yes.   

Might complaint about these discussions is that many fans say that this free agent or that free agent is a "camp body" or a "stopgap" or "good depth," as though the Bills are going to sign All-Pros at every position.   Most guys on every team are average NFL players at their positions, and the teams win or lose depending on (1) coaching and (2) the QB.   

Clay let us down last season, Thomas didn't look like de's the guy and Croom isn't built to be a true tight end.   James would be a nice, solid addition to the lineup.

2 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Duplicate effort from Page 2, but thanks for playing!

You could have gone with "Say when (we sign Jesse James.)"

You can’t expect me to read anything more than the title and first few posts. 

Be reasonable 

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Good size @ 6-7 and 265. Probably blocks as well as Clay. He's capable of giving you 40 catches and 3-4 tds/yr. He'd be a good reliable TE2 and if we draft a Hockenson (after a trade down), we'd have 3 solid guys. I see Logan getting cut.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Good size @ 6-7 and 265. Probably blocks as well as Clay. He's capable of giving you 40 catches and 3-4 tds/yr. He'd be a good reliable TE2 and if we draft a Hockenson (after a trade down), we'd have 3 solid guys. I see Logan getting cut.

Logan’s contract is up.  No need to cut him

6 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Maybe better than Chandler, but yes.   

Might complaint about these discussions is that many fans say that this free agent or that free agent is a "camp body" or a "stopgap" or "good depth," as though the Bills are going to sign All-Pros at every position.   Most guys on every team are average NFL players at their positions, and the teams win or lose depending on (1) coaching and (2) the QB.   

Clay let us down last season, Thomas didn't look like de's the guy and Croom isn't built to be a true tight end.   James would be a nice, solid addition to the lineup.

He would be a solid addition. He just isn’t “solving the problem” at the position. He’s a good number 2 TE. That’s what he was there. That is currently an open slot on the Bills roster (as is TE1). He IS what Scott Chandler was in Buffalo. Those are realistic expectations. We just need to temper our expectations that he’s going to sign and be Travis Kelce. 

FWIW, James PFF grade was above average. Considering he wasn't prolific as a receiver, I'm assuming he graded out pretty well in the blocking department.

That makes this idea quite a bit more intriguing as I think a player like him needs to block well and makes him a good fit for the Bills. I like Croom as the hybrid receiving TE and I would like to see him continue to develop and I also expect a top tier TE in the draft.

Still don't want to give him a large contract because I think he's limited.

Edited by BillsSB2020
  • Like (+1) 1

if the bills do sign him, every time makes a big play, new era should let out a Heeeeeeeeeath cheer :devil:

For those who don't get the reference, James predecessor in Pittsburgh was Heath Miller.  Whenever Miller made a big play, Heinz Field would let out a collective Heeeeeeeeath cheer.  After Miller's retirement, James' big plays were frequently rewarded with a friendly Heeeeeeeeeath :lol:

I like how young he is as there's room to improve in the passing game.  Already a good blocker.  TE isn't loaded in free agency so he'd be a solid signing.  Whether they would want to upgrade further depends on their opinion of Croom.  I hear it's a good draft for TE's.