Report: Bills interested in UFA TE Jesse James

YoloinOhio

20 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

NE, PHI, and KC are three of the league's best offense. Each of them have an elite pass catching TE.  

The NFL is all about creating personnel mismatches and TE is not "overvalued."  In fact, I'd say they're undervalued given how a good one forces a defense to cover them. 

I'm not sure how you can predict future careers of 21-22 year old athletes. 

Simply not true. Here is a stat from 2016 until the middle of 2017 when the article was written...the Pats went 11-0 without Gronk. 

With Gronk they averaged two less points per game, 25 less total yards, 20 less passing yards. That’s a fair sample size. TEs don’t matter if you know what you’re doing out there. This is big 12 football gone wild and it’s only going to get worse if you aren’t into pinball. 

3 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

At 25 years old, Im not sure he'd be a stopgap. I'm guessing a nice 4 yr deal and he becomes our starter whilst mentoring a draft pick pick as well. As you said, I still see us drafting a good TE, maybe just not as high as day one or two, unless the value can't be denied. Otherwise, with JJ and Croom on the roster, we could probably hold of till 4th rd and snag somebody. Just a thought....

I think you are right on point.  JJ is a step up from what we had and he would buy the team some time to develop a young player.  If a younger player eventually takes over the starting job, he would be a very good number two as long as Beane didn't over pay him.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Are you referring to the reported interest in James for an  unspecified amount or to someone else?

I'm referring to the amount of fans that want us to do both.  You generally overpay in free agency (every team).  

3 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

He's only 24 and is a solid TE.  Hope we get him.  Not sure how Jax will be able to afford him, their cap situation isn't good.  One of our posters, @MrEpsYtown mentioned the possibility of James becoming a Buffalo Bill a couple of months ago.

Because most posters here are incredibly paranoid about getting near the cap and in reality it’s not typically as crippling as they think.

more importantly though... do you keep a spreadsheet of predictions or something?!? Why would you ever remember that?!?

• Haha (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

They drafted 2 last year, 1st and 3rd rnds. Andrews is good and all three of their remaining tes are on rookie deals.

Maxx Williams was a 2nd-round pick. If he was any good, the Ravens wouldn't have burned a 1 & a 3 last year on other TEs.

If you want to sign him as a cheap backup, OK I guess,  but I think Nick Boyle has looked better, at least with Flacco (both Delaware grads & all).

35 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

NE, PHI, and KC are three of the league's best offense. Each of them have an elite pass catching TE.  

The NFL is all about creating personnel mismatches and TE is not "overvalued."  In fact, I'd say they're undervalued given how a good one forces a defense to cover them. 

I'm not sure how you can predict future careers of 21-22 year old athletes. 

I’d argue all those tight ends would be handled easily by a good CB1, but a tight end rarely deserves that attention compared to a WR so they get the 3-5th best pass defender on them. If you get a 10m a year WR as the 4th option you’ll probably do pretty darn well matching up to

15 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Simply not true. Here is a stat from 2016 until the middle of 2017 when the article was written...the Pats went 11-0 without Gronk. 

With Gronk they averaged two less points per game, 25 less total yards, 20 less passing yards. That’s a fair sample size. TEs don’t matter if you know what you’re doing out there. This is big 12 football gone wild and it’s only going to get worse if you aren’t into pinball. 

To quote a well-known man, "there's lies, damn lies, and statistics."

That sums it up. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, NoSaint said:

Because most posters here are incredibly paranoid about getting near the cap and in reality it’s not typically as crippling as they think.

more importantly though... do you keep a spreadsheet of predictions or something?!? Why would you ever remember that?!?

The only reason I remember that is because he mentioned it during a thread for a prime time game Pitt was playing this past season.  I asked him if this was even possible, and he said it was since Jesse James will be a FA and Pitt is committed to Vance McDonald.  And no, I don't keep records of predictions.  

What I am surprised about is the number of posters who are down on James, even seeming someone calling him a poor man's Scott Chandler.  Really?  Chandler had problems catching the ball, staying healthy, all while being even less athletic than James.

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

The only reason I remember that is because he mentioned it during a thread for a prime time game Pitt was playing this past season.  I asked him if this was even possible, and he said it was since Jesse James will be a FA and Pitt is committed to Vance McDonald.  And no, I don't keep records of predictions.  

What I am surprised about is the number of posters who are down on James, even seeming someone calling him a poor man's Scott Chandler.  Really?  Chandler had problems catching the ball, staying healthy, all while being even less athletic than James.

James 40: 4.83

Chandler 4.78

James 20 yard shuttle- 4.5

chandler 4.32

similar catch rates with chandler having a lesser qb and fewer weapons around him. Chandler did miss 3 games as a bill...

Im not sure they are that wrong, no?

15 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I’d argue all those tight ends would be handled easily by a good CB1, but a tight end rarely deserves that attention compared to a WR so they get the 3-5th best pass defender on them. If you get a 10m a year WR as the 4th option you’ll probably do pretty darn well matching up to

This is the sort of logic which makes TBD all the more interesting during the off-season.

? Well done sir!

14 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I liked Chandler, but I don't miss the way he'd stay upright, sometimes fighting for extra yards, sometimes the defense holding him up and punching at the ball. Seemed like a fumble waiting to happen. He was a nice player and a high quality individual, but this always bothered me.

As to James, I think what most fans feel is that we'd be OK with the signing but don't view him as a talent worthy of an overpay.

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

James 40: 4.83

Chandler 4.78

James 20 yard shuttle- 4.5

chandler 4.32

similar catch rates with chandler having a lesser qb and fewer weapons around him. Chandler did miss 3 games as a bill...

Im not sure they are that wrong, no?

Hmmm...what you mention here doesn't put James in an exceptional light.  Funny, if Chandler was that good, why didn't he last past the 2015 season with NE?  Much better QB, coaching, and surrounding cast.  Yet his numbers were not really any better than in Buffalo.  Also, Chandler had four fumbles in his career, James has zero.  Perhaps the posters who state that James is a #2 TE and that we should temper our expectations are correct.  We'll need to draft a #1 TE, though I question if it is important enough to do this year.  Rather spend the capital on a DT, edge, OL, WR, and RB.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

I liked Chandler, but I don't miss the way he'd stay upright, sometimes fighting for extra yards, sometimes the defense holding him up and punching at the ball. Seemed like a fumble waiting to happen. He was a nice player and a high quality individual, but this always bothered me.

As to James, I think what most fans feel is that we'd be OK with the signing but don't view him as a talent worthy of an overpay.

Chandler had four fumbles; I thought I remember ball security as somewhat of an issue with him.

Regarding the bolded part, I'm starting to lean that way.  I definitely don't think James is a poor man's Chandler, but rather is an upgrade.  TE2 is probably right.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Could not agree more. I'm not opposed but this signing would not bring a bulge to my britches. I understand it's a position of need but I would also take Maxx Williams over James. We definitely need to grab one of the top 3 guys in the draft. Any combo of Williams/ Hock, Fant or Smith would solve our TE problem for many seasons.

Maxx Williams has never done anything in the NFL . JJ has been a much better player.