Report: Bills interested in UFA TE Jesse James

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Bennett had 3 career seasons over 700 yards and that was one of them it’s no surprise he was able to be productive in that offense.

Chiefs-Kelce 

Rams-LOL

Saints-Corpse of Watson

Patriots-Gronk

Steelers-McDonAld 

Chargers-corpse 

Hawks-Vannett

Colts-Ebron 

Falcons-Hooper

Bears-Burton

Thats the top 10 teams in scoring from 18’, a good TE is hardly a requirement. A guy like James who can sit down in a zone and catch the ball is fine, if they can build the rest of the team properly. 

Both also run with both hands wrapped

on the ball the majority of the time. 

Yes.  They have trouble holding onto it so look like they're fetalling around the ball, and sometimes rely too much on their height to hold it away from the defender.  KB does that crap too.  It's kind of weird looking.  I suppose it's just weak hands.

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah, but aren't you actually making the point for a TE?  I mean these guys are constantly exploiting matchups and zones.  Not to mention their size to be big Redzone threats.  Their value is high and even more so for a young QB who has a big target and safety net often.  I mean watch the Chiefs, its unreal how many easy throws are there for Mahomes to make to Kelce, he is running wide open all over the place and is a big target to hit too.  

Doesn't matter if the TE can or cant beat Patrick Peterson in coverage because he is never covering him, or at least rarely (if ever).  What matters is does the TE get open, who is covering them doesn't matter.  And Olsen, Gronk, Kelce, Ertz, Kittle, etc are beating their defenders and are difference makers in those offenses.

Given the rise of the TE the last few years, I am really surprised more people are seeing the value.  

Think Peterson isn’t covering Kelce for a reason? Like maybe the DC is more worried about shutting down Tyreek (Sammy, Conley) with their best pass defenders and kelce is exceptionally valuable because he’s afforded the 4th best defender and limited double teams as more of a really good role player instead of elite game breaker on his own?

1 minute ago, BringBackFlutie said:

Yes.  They have trouble holding onto it so look like they're fetalling around the ball, and sometimes rely too much on their height to hold it away from the defender.  KB does that crap too.  It's kind of weird looking.  I suppose it's just weak hands.

I think it makes them look slower than they are but I’m fine with a guy like James. He understands how to get open and his asking price shouldn’t be too high. 

Just now, CommonCents said:

I think it makes them look slower than they are but I’m fine with a guy like James. He understands how to get open and his asking price shouldn’t be too high. 

Yeah.  I mean, if we could have someone as reliable as Chandler again, it'd be nice.  At this point, I don't need a game breaker, just somebody who can catch the ball, or pick up a yard when you really need it.  We've been missing that from a lot of skill positions for a little while now. 

I was reading the posts about Gronk and I realized why I think some people's belief in the importance of a tight end is misplaced.  

People think that KC is good because they have a good tight end and New England is good because they have a good tight end.  It's true that their tight ends are important parts of the success of their teams.   The point is, however, that they aren't essential.

Teams are good because they have (1) good coaches, (2) a good quarterback, (3) some other stars and (4) a lot of good of role players.  One of the stars doesn't have to be a tight end.  If it is, fine.  Belichick and Brady won without a great tight end.   When they got one, the offense changed, but they had a good offense before they had Gronk.  

James wouldn't be a star.  He'd be one of the good role players.   If the Bills find a star tight end, great. The Bills will run their offense through him.  But if they find a star wideout, then the offense will go through the wideout.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 947 said:

My thoughts exactly. He looks like a nice target with good hands, but runs like he's wearing ankle weights. Every highlight, a DB catches up to him like he's standing still & then he goes down on first contact. 

Jesse James is better than any TE we have, but he wouldn't have much more impact for us than the 2018 version of Clay. I'd rather gamble on the upside of Eifert or Maxx Williams.

I'm planning on the Bills drafting Irv Smith Jr from Alabama. Dabol knows what he can do.

Truthfully, I hope we're interested in James and Maxx Williams. Our TE depth isn't that great. Croom is fairly athletic and can make the occasional play in the passing game, but he can't block. Logan Thomas is never going to be much. We cut ties with Clay as we should have. A complete overhaul at the position would be nice. 

55 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Think Peterson isn’t covering Kelce for a reason? Like maybe the DC is more worried about shutting down Tyreek (Sammy, Conley) with their best pass defenders and kelce is exceptionally valuable because he’s afforded the 4th best defender and limited double teams as more of a really good role player instead of elite game breaker on his own?

I know Peterson is covering Wideouts, thats my point.  I don't really understand your point though.  

Here is what you just said to me:  D is lower tier, 4th best pass defender (in terms of pass coverage like a LB, 4th corner, etc).  A, B, and C are TE tiers from Elite, Good, Decent.

C is better than D, so for you thats an acceptable enough advantage and all we need.  However, B is an even greater advantage over D and therefore an even more effective result.  A is substantially better than D creating constant exploited mismatches and very difficult to defend.  

You are acknowledging that a TE is already a mismatch for who is likely covering him.  So instead of targeting a substantial mismatch and therefore a substantial offensive advantage, you are content with a modest to minimal one instead?  The entire object of football is find and exploit opportunities, so if this is a clear place to gain a significant advantage, why settle for minor? 

In fact, TE is by far the easiest place to create such a wide advantage over any other position.  Its not easy to find those TE's, but when you do they can be more difficult to guard than any other player on the field.  A top WR is going to face the opponents best pass defender every game and also have safety and double team help.  A RB can also be a nice mismatch, but they don't have the size a TE does to be that over the middle threat, that contested catch threat and that Redzone threat.  

All good man, but I just don't understand why you are saying a TE is seeing the 4th best defender most often and not wanting to exploit that to its fullest with high end player.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

To summarize this thread:

1. Jesse James is a pending UFA.

2. Some believe Buffalo should sign him because, well, there's nothing other than a former UDFA on the roster. And he'd be new, so clearly better!

3. TE is an overrated position. Other teams that are good offensively feature them as a complementary option.

4. TE's covered by CB's are neutralized.  Stats back it up!  Ergo...

5. You don't need a TE. WR's are more important and TE's can't do it all themselves! So, just get good stars, role players and voila! everything will be good.  Oh, and good coaching!

Gotta love the off-season! :lol:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CommonCents said:

Bennett had 3 career seasons over 700 yards and that was one of them it’s no surprise he was able to be productive in that offense.

Chiefs-Kelce 

Rams-LOL

Saints-Corpse of Watson

Patriots-Gronk

Steelers-McDonAld 

Chargers-corpse 

Hawks-Vannett

Colts-Ebron 

Falcons-Hooper

Bears-Burton

Thats the top 10 teams in scoring from 18’, a good TE is hardly a requirement. A guy like James who can sit down in a zone and catch the ball is fine, if they can build the rest of the team properly. 

Um, I don't think you are not making your point well again here.  And I am not trying to pick on you here...its all good, just discussing further.  

1. Five of those teams have very good TEs or better:  Chiefs, Pats, Steelers, Colts, Bears.  
  2. Rams TE's are clearly better than you think given you just put LOL.  I would take Tyler or Everett here happily.  They are not as featured as the others and Everett has a lot of upside still as a receiver going into his 3rd year. 
  3. No one said the prerequisite for being a top 10 offense is that you have to have an elite TE, so not really sure what the point is here even though it kind of back fired since 5 of them have very good or better ones and the Rams you undervalued the talent as a 6th team.  
  4. This list also conveniently leaves off Kittle and Ertz given one lost his QB for the season and the other team had a down year offensively with Wentz coming back from injury then getting hurt again.  Yet both those guys are excellent and on good offenses when the QB's are healthy.

I mean, there is no denying a top flight TE is an excellent weapon.  Why would anyone be against having an excellent weapon who is a constant mismatch for the defense?  Is it the only path to a good offense, no of course not, but neither are any of the positions.  Last 7 SB winners...no real elite WR's except Thomas for Broncos...only real RB stud was Lynch 7 years ago.  Although 4 of the past 5 SB winners had an elite TE in Gronk (3x) and Ertz without a premier RB or premiere WR.    

Point of that is all that matters is that you can score, there is no mandate for how to do it outside having a great QB.   A TE can be a game changer, and most importantly, very valuable for a young, big arm QB like Josh Allen.