Report: Bills interested in UFA TE Jesse James

YoloinOhio

15 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Makes sense as a stopgap. Joe Marino talked about him on the locked on Bills podcast the other day and said he's not particularly athletic, but he's reliable and would definitely be an improvement. I expect us to draft a TE on day 1 or 2 regardless.

This looks like wasting more money on a slow-moving TE who only look decent playing in offense loaded with top WR'S.  Would prefer giving Cook 2 year deal for more money and then draft TE to develop.  Look at this guy,  slow moving and does not break tackles

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Jesse James a decent all around TE.  Big frame and catch radius. I think he is 26 or 27.  Has potential, and not overly impressive.

Dude is only 24... But he has been in NFL for awhile and seems like he is much older than he is

Lol at people calling James a decent backup TE. There are 32 starting TEs in the NFL. By saying he is a decent backup is like saying he is not in the top 32 TEs. He is obviously not elite or great. But I'd put Jesse in the 15th-20th range which is definetly a decent starter

9 hours ago, MJS said:

6'7" and 260 Ibs? Sign me up. Sick of having an undersized, oft injured TE. Clay was only 6'3", basically a heavy, slow WR.

Yea man your right we always have funny looking TEs u remember Derek Schouman? Lol.

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Hell YEAH !! Should have drafted him. About time we got serious about this position and still should draft one.

I agree we need to get Hock or Fant in this draft.  I dont care how they do it.  Preferably to trade back out of #9. But if they select another player at #9 then they should trade bk into late first for Fant.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Lol at people calling James a decent backup TE. There are 32 starting TEs in the NFL. By saying he is a decent backup is like saying he is not in the top 32 TEs. He is obviously not elite or great. But I'd put Jesse in the 15th-20th range which is definetly a decent starter

Thanks.  People seem to be missing this point. 

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Um, I don't think you are not making your point well again here.  And I am not trying to pick on you here...its all good, just discussing further.  

1. Five of those teams have very good TEs or better:  Chiefs, Pats, Steelers, Colts, Bears.  
  2. Rams TE's are clearly better than you think given you just put LOL.  I would take Tyler or Everett here happily.  They are not as featured as the others and Everett has a lot of upside still as a receiver going into his 3rd year. 
  3. No one said the prerequisite for being a top 10 offense is that you have to have an elite TE, so not really sure what the point is here even though it kind of back fired since 5 of them have very good or better ones and the Rams you undervalued the talent as a 6th team.  
  4. This list also conveniently leaves off Kittle and Ertz given one lost his QB for the season and the other team had a down year offensively with Wentz coming back from injury then getting hurt again.  Yet both those guys are excellent and on good offenses when the QB's are healthy.

I mean, there is no denying a top flight TE is an excellent weapon.  Why would anyone be against having an excellent weapon who is a constant mismatch for the defense?  Is it the only path to a good offense, no of course not, but neither are any of the positions.  Last 7 SB winners...no real elite WR's except Thomas for Broncos...only real RB stud was Lynch 7 years ago.  Although 4 of the past 5 SB winners had an elite TE in Gronk (3x) and Ertz without a premier RB or premiere WR.    

Point of that is all that matters is that you can score, there is no mandate for how to do it outside having a great QB.   A TE can be a game changer, and most importantly, very valuable for a young, big arm QB like Josh Allen.  

Define very good or better? Are you talking like top 10 or simply guys that should be starters?

54 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

He’s 36th in receptions per game and 26th in yards per game amongst TEs. This is in a pass happy offense with a HOF QB. He’s tied with 13 other TEs for 31st in TDs (2). That’s not a decent starter IMO.

With that being said, he’d be a good add on a team that needs guys at the position. He is an upgrade over Croom or O’Leary or Thomas or Khari Lee. That’s where he slots in though. He isn’t a good starter. He’s a good 2nd option.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s 36th in receptions per game and 26th in yards per game amongst TEs. This is in a pass happy offense with a HOF QB. He’s tied with 13 other TEs for 31st in TDs (2). That’s not a decent starter IMO.

With that being said, he’d be a good add on a team that needs guys at the position. He is an upgrade over Croom or O’Leary or Thomas or Khari Lee. That’s where he slots in though. He isn’t a good starter. He’s a good 2nd option.

I’m not gonna try and glorify James because that’s just silly. But you are skipping a big point here. McDonald was the starter there. So James was putting up fringe starter numbers as the #2 TE. Let’s not leave that little tid bit out. 

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

And a PED suspension so he has an “in” with McBeane, but why isn’t baltimore going to keep him?

They drafted new TEs in the 1st and 3rd round last year. I don't see them keeping either Maxx or Nick Boyle. Maxx also has had issues with staying healthy I believe.

26 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I’m not gonna try and glorify James because that’s just silly. But you are skipping a big point here. McDonald was the starter there. So James was putting up fringe starter numbers as the #2 TE. Let’s not leave that little tid bit out. 

That’s fair but James has started 36 games (7 last year) and the production isn’t much different. If anything it helps him having McDonald. It cuts back his targets some but also gives him an easier matchup. It comes out in the wash. He was the same player when he started 27 of 32 games the previous 2 years. 

Again, I’m all for adding the guy. He makes the position group better than it is now. He does not however make it a “good” group or solve the problem. They need to get a number 1 TE to do that. I’d rather take a shot on Cook who has put up good seasons before. He’s older but is a better player. 

This Board cracks me up! If the Cardinals jump on the chance to pick up Clay (who everyone admits was trash), explain to me why the Bills wouldn’t jump on the chance to upgrade to Jesse James for what I’m sure is less money? Wouldn’t you have made that trade straight up if it was offered? I would’ve!

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s fair but James has started 36 games (7 last year) and the production isn’t much different. If anything it helps him having McDonald. It cuts back his targets some but also gives him an easier matchup. It comes out in the wash. He was the same player when he started 27 of 32 games the previous 2 years. 

Again, I’m all for adding the guy. He makes the position group better than it is now. He does not however make it a “good” group or solve the problem. They need to get a number 1 TE to do that. I’d rather take a shot on Cook who has put up good seasons before. He’s older but is a better player. 

I don’t disagree that we would still need more there. 

FWIW I live right on the fringe of “Stiller” country just south of Erie, PA. So I’ve seen a good amount of the guy. Nothing flashy but he is trustworthy and has come down with some timely catches. When I reached out to my handful of knowledgeable Pitt fans, that I can actually tolerate, they basicallly relayed the same things. Nothing flashy. Trustworthy. Would be a solid little signing. 

And again, FTR, I agree. There needs to be more done there, but I think he could be an asset and maybe even hold down the fort while a youngster develops. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, gjv001 said:

I don't see James as an improvement over Croom or Thomas.

He's a good 2nd TE who can block and catch passes. You still have Croom as a possible receiving TE but I'd love to draft one who is an all around player. Croom is still in doubt as a full time player IMO. I'd love this signing.

9 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

He's a good 2nd TE who can block and catch passes. You still have Croom as a possible receiving TE but I'd love to draft one who is an all around player. Croom is still in doubt as a full time player IMO. I'd love this signing.

James is 6'7 260 vs. croom who's a bit more like a large WR.  Croom has a shot to stick but i don't think he's like guaranteed a spot.  If we were to add a player like James, i would also see us going after someone in the draft.  TEs get hurt a lot, and it's nice to have better depth than in the past - Clay, who is always hurt and a bunch of UDFA's basically.

• Like (+1) 1