Sign in to follow this  
YoloinOhio

Shaq Lawson 5th year option on the table

4 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

He is worth it.

Yup.  If no extension, gotta pick up 5th year.  He’s earned it.

I'm glad they have another 4 months to decide.  Maybe free agency and the draft will give a clearer picture.  

DE is a little thin for the Bills.  Hughes played pretty well but is 31 and Murphy did not impress me that much.  What's left Yarbrough and Mike Love.  

Shaq improved no doubt but $9 - 10 M is pretty sizable for 44% snap count.

Wouldn't surprise me if they picked it up. Some players take a little longer to develop than others. He's shown flexibility by lining up both inside and outside. And he really came on over the last few games. I dunno what Miami was thinking but he and Hughes both embarrassed O'Leary yesterday. If anyone had any remaining questions as to why that guy got cut then there ya go. 

3 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

I'm glad they have another 4 months to decide.  Maybe free agency and the draft will give a clearer picture.  

DE is a little thin for the Bills.  Hughes played pretty well but is 31 and Murphy did not impress me that much.  What's left Yarbrough and Mike Love.  

Shaq improved no doubt but $9 - 10 M is pretty sizable for 44% snap count.

I am not sure how you base an evaluation on snap count as Bills like a rotation.

He has improved his play significantly.
I would like to keep him around. How that gets done is above my pay grade : )

No way we offer 5th year option.Waay too much $$ for a guy who’s just beginning to understand what it takes to be in the NFL. Fine Season? Sure, but not top 10 at the position. 

Hes never impressed me as being very bright, so I’m sure he believes he’s worth big buck$. I predict he’ll refuse any long term manageable contract offer and seek greener pastures. Making another hole to fill this off season..

Lawson has improved quite a bit, but the board sentiment before the finale against Miami would have been different. I trust the FO to evaluate the entire season and make determinations based on the long term body of work. This Miami game was kind of like the first Jets game in that the Bills were facing a somewhat disinterested opponent. 

1 hour ago, Ittakestime said:

No way you pick that up.  He is not worth 10 million guaranteed.

Back to back 4 sack seasons.  Just sign him to a contract extension with multiple years.

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

I’d offer him a contract for 5-7 million a year for 3-5 years and decent guarantees. I doubt he’d get better on the market.

This is what they should try to do.  Lock him up for a few years.  It gets him back to the bargaining table for a big payday (provided that performance is there) before his career is done.

At least Beane won’t need to worry about resigning/extending any of the other 2016 picks.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

I'd say you have to try to get him into a long term contract, but the 5th yr option isnt bad if the staff has doubts. We'd get a decent DE for 2 more yrs with no recourse beyond that. 

What would total cost be for next yr and 2020?

Edited by Captain_Quint

3 hours ago, boater said:

Buffalo needs to avoid a reputation as a tagging team.

If you have a rep for tagging, that's a turn-off for free agents that visit. Buffalo is going to have a hard time attracting free agents as it is, last thing needed is a rep for tagging.

This is just false.

We've heard it before.......see Levy/Jauron granting all the player requests to be traded and not tagged..........didn't help in free agency a bit..........in fact it attracted the attention of a certain sharky agent named Eugene who saw a weakness in resolve and exploited it.    

The slippery slope effect was catastrophic.

It finally stopped when Buddy told Aaron Schobel to get bent when he said he'd only play if he could stay in Texas all week and fly in for games.    But even then it cost them a stud pass rusher that probably had 3-4 more years in him.

May this organization never return to that.

The CBA gives you a pimp hand for a reason.   

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, WMDman said:

id pick it up, hes been developing nicely

He was a stud yesterday...let's not forget about the many tipped balls he had this year..this was his best year as a Bill...I would much rather see him out there instead of the part time and beat up Trent Murphy.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

He was a stud yesterday...let's not forget about the many tipped balls he had this year..this was his best year as a Bill...I would much rather see him out there instead of the part time and beat up Trent Murphy.

Miami somehow thought that trying to block him with a TE, T-Rex arms  O’Leary, was a good idea 

Posted (edited)

I would like him back. I think he is starting to find himself as a player. Could see Shaq turning into an 8-10 sack per year kind of guy. I like him a lot more than Murphy.

Edited by NewDayBills
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

I like Shaq. Team guy with a solid work ethic. Doesn't seem the type to mail it in after getting paid. I see him progressively getting better. Maybe not elite level but pro bowl level no doubt.

25 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Miami somehow thought that trying to block him with a TE, T-Rex arms  O’Leary, was a good idea 

And the last time he was seen on tape prior to Miami trying to block him with an H-back was against a rookie making his first start at RT.

Disappointing final two months for Shaq after early hype again this season.

He is between the value of Aaron schoebel and Chris Kelsey.  

Remember how we did miss Kelsey when he retired?

Posted (edited)

Some players develop at a slower rate.  Glad he played well this year.  Hoping for a 2 year $14 deal.  Gives him a chance to stay at a reasonable price but also to build on his solid play and earn a larger contract.  

Edited by Buffalo30