Model train set goes through house then out to pool and garden

ChevyVanMiller

7 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Wonder how long it took him to lay all the tracks? 

Did you see the dirty underwear under the bed? 

LoL... It doesn't matter... Chinese Coolies and Irish/Italian Immigrants laid those tracks.

Gee, my mom would have been impressed.

It does kinda look like taking a train into a "city" with all that stuff around?  Is that underwear from a hobo @ Union Station in Chicago?  ? Way to keep it real... But still abstract!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

Lego looks easier for that than the old Lionel stuff that I had as a kid.   Lego ain’t cheap. Looks like a pretty nice house, so I guess he can afford it.  I always think the fun is in the building of the layout. Once it works and you run the train around it a few times, then what?

1 hour ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I feel like the Hotwheels tracks I put together the last few days are the equivalent of this train track.

I used to like to make the Hotwheels track start someplace high, like on a dresser or something, and then see if I could make it go over chairs, into the next room, down the hall, etc.  I did it “for my kids” and sometimes I would even let them use it.

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Don't know anything about model trains but I'm going to guess you can't run a set up that large without multiple transformers feeding power 

It appears to be a battery powered Lego train set. No transformers needed.

7 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Don't know anything about model trains but I'm going to guess you can't run a set up that large without multiple transformers feeding power 

It's lego; the power source is in the engine itself (battery).  The track is plastic with no electricity running through it.

That's a great setup! 

4 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

Lego looks easier for that than the old Lionel stuff that I had as a kid.   Lego ain’t cheap. Looks like a pretty nice house, so I guess he can afford it.  I always think the fun is in the building of the layout. Once it works and you run the train around it a few times, then what?

I used to like to make the Hotwheels track start someplace high, like on a dresser or something, and then see if I could make it go over chairs, into the next room, down the hall, etc.  I did it “for my kids” and sometimes I would even let them use it.

Lego is expensive and that guy has a mile of track; the whole time I was thinking how much money he has invested in extra track lengths.

Lego trains are totally fun and cool; if you have kids check 'em out!

They actually have a large adult following as well.

This is one of the all time great Lego trains IMO: the "Emerald Night."

I have this one; long discontinued but you can still buy them at fairly reasonable prices.

3485102926_3c5e785092_o.jpg

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Very impressive.  Hard to imagine that much track, all on ground level.  Sooner of later that will have to be "moved" to cut/clean the surfaces under the track.  IN/OUT in WNY wouldn't work very well considering outside temps, snow etc., but still very impressive.

That's my first thought.  I noticed the palm trees.  How the heck do they clean, walk.  It's like a clutter-zone.  See all the boxes.

2 hours ago, Augie said:

All those boxes packed up are probably his wife moving out. 

Yep!  LMAO!

14 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Very impressive.  Hard to imagine that much track, all on ground level.  Sooner of later that will have to be "moved" to cut/clean the surfaces under the track.  IN/OUT in WNY wouldn't work very well considering outside temps, snow etc., but still very impressive.

The fact that it goes through the front and back door suggests to me it's temporary. He has a lot of switches so my guess is he can disconnect the outside track, close the doors and run his trains on indoor loops. I also think this is a December thing for him. In his 2018 video the track also ran down the other side of his property,  across the pool as  well as  between the wheels of his car. No way he's moving track every time he goes on a beer run :)

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

That's my first thought.  I noticed the palm trees.  How the heck do they clean, walk.  It's like a clutter-zone.  See all the boxes.

Yep!  LMAO!

I’m guessing a bunch of tech guys renting a place together, or one guy owns it and it’s an incubator ala Erlick.

27 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

He didn't build that. Someone else did

And that someone else came back the next year to reconfigure it? I suppose it's possible, but whether it was the guy that videoed or some guy he hires every year to build it, I'm still impressed with the set up.

Just now, SinceThe70s said:

And that someone else came back the next year to reconfigure it? I suppose it's possible, but whether it was the guy that videoed or some guy he hires every year to build it, I'm still impressed with the set up.

It's a reference you didn't get. 

? ? ?

• Thank you (+1) 1