Week 16 Bills at Pats Postgame Postmortum

billsfan_34

53 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

Beane hasn’t done McDermott any favorites this year. Little talent.

Yep, almost 2 full years into this tenure and we are a pretty bad team that is pinning it's hopes of improving on about 15-20 players that aren't on the team right now.

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I was pessimistic going into this game and the outcome was pretty much what I expected.  In fact I predicted the Pats would win 27 - 10 and that Allen would struggle against the Hoodie.  Some observations from today's game:

*  Allen played better then his final stats will show.  Sure he got some garbage yards late and he did throw a couple of bad INT's but he also made some great throws that for a variety of reasons didn't produce yards or points among them:  1) a perfect strike to McKenzie that was dropped.  Would have converted a 3rd down early and who knows what happens;  2)  The long ball to Foster.  Bad luck about the sun but that dosen't negate a great read & throw by Allen.  Should have been an 80 yard TD pass;  3)  The great pass to #82 that was dropped at the goal line.  Perfect placement of the ball.  In the NFL you have to make that catch.  4)  The pass to Crooms that ended up as a lost fumble at the Pat's 5 yard line.  We likely score a TD on that drive if he doesn't fumble. 

By my count that's THREE TD's left on the field that should have resulted directly from Allen's play.  BTW,  I think his 2 INT's only cost us 3 points.  Next year we make those plays.

*  Edmunds is taking way to much criticism.  Sure he got burned today but like Allen he's a raw rookie.  The Hoodie dissects rookies like this for fun at Gillette stadium.  The loss of Milano was huge.  Edmunds is going to make huge strides next year.  Like Allen this is a learning season for him.

*  The Bills had NO running game today.  I believe Allen had their longest run.  It's tough for a rookie QB to go into NE and generate offense when their is no running game.

*  The Bills rush defense was very bad.  For me the defenses play today was a microcosm of their season.  At times they played lights out and they generated 3 big TO's.  But at other times they looked soft as pudding and they didn't make the stops that might have turned the game around.  This unit could use some help in the off season.  I don't think it would take much to lift them from being a good defense to a great one.  

*  NE & Brady are definitely sliding.  Lost in all the complaining about Allen, Edmunds, Zay Jones, the Bills coaches and the water boy is the FACT that Brady didn't play any better then Allen in spite of having a devastating running game to fall back on, better receivers and the home crowd.  To me this was the biggest surprise.   Next year NE may barely reach 500. 

You forgot the end zone throw to Mckenzie that he got hit on early that should have been a PI and the throw to Foster with Gilmore back turned that Foster didnt make an adjustment on.  Allen put the ball where only his wr could get it 5 times where on each play it would have been a td and we got a fg out of all of that

11 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I was pessimistic going into this game and the outcome was pretty much what I expected.  In fact I predicted the Pats would win 27 - 10 and that Allen would struggle against the Hoodie.  Some observations from today's game:

*  Allen played better then his final stats will show.  Sure he got some garbage yards late and he did throw a couple of bad INT's but he also made some great throws that for a variety of reasons didn't produce yards or points among them:  1) a perfect strike to McKenzie that was dropped.  Would have converted a 3rd down early and who knows what happens;  2)  The long ball to Foster.  Bad luck about the sun but that dosen't negate a great read & throw by Allen.  Should have been an 80 yard TD pass;  3)  The great pass to #82 that was dropped at the goal line.  Perfect placement of the ball.  In the NFL you have to make that catch.  4)  The pass to Crooms that ended up as a lost fumble at the Pat's 5 yard line.  We likely score a TD on that drive if he doesn't fumble. 

By my count that's THREE TD's left on the field that should have resulted directly from Allen's play.  BTW,  I think his 2 INT's only cost us 3 points.  Next year we make those plays.

*  Edmunds is taking way to much criticism.  Sure he got burned today but like Allen he's a raw rookie.  The Hoodie dissects rookies like this for fun at Gillette stadium.  The loss of Milano was huge.  Edmunds is going to make huge strides next year.  Like Allen this is a learning season for him.

*  The Bills had NO running game today.  I believe Allen had their longest run.  It's tough for a rookie QB to go into NE and generate offense when their is no running game.

*  The Bills rush defense was very bad.  For me the defenses play today was a microcosm of their season.  At times they played lights out and they generated 3 big TO's.  But at other times they looked soft as pudding and they didn't make the stops that might have turned the game around.  This unit could use some help in the off season.  I don't think it would take much to lift them from being a good defense to a great one.  

*  NE & Brady are definitely sliding.  Lost in all the complaining about Allen, Edmunds, Zay Jones, the Bills coaches and the water boy is the FACT that Brady didn't play any better then Allen in spite of having a devastating running game to fall back on, better receivers and the home crowd.  To me this was the biggest surprise.   Next year NE may barely reach 500. 

Edmunds does things wrong that are corrected early in college. He is blessed with athletic ability but is fundamentally a hot mess.

3 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Yep, almost 2 full years into this tenure and we are a pretty bad team that is pinning it's hopes of improving on about 15-20 players that aren't on the team right now.

That about sums it up.  Blind hope that a bunch of rookies and a few free agents, led by a Stone Age, play-not-to-lose coach will somehow become a 10 or 11-win team. It might happen, but there’s no reason to believe it will.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DuckyBoys said:

You forgot the end zone throw to Mckenzie that he got hit on early that should have been a PI and the throw to Foster with Gilmore back turned that Foster didnt make an adjustment on.  Allen put the ball where only his wr could get it 5 times where on each play it would have been a td and we got a fg out of all of that

I was trying to only call out those plays THAT NO SANE FAN could argue with.  But you're right about those other 2 plays.  And don't forget on the pass to McKenzie there were 2 Bills receivers right next to each other which only works on hail Mary's!

Bottom line is that Bill's coaches are going to be sick at just how close they came to having an offensive explosion when they look at the film.  Or put another way, if you take those EXACT same passes that Allen threw today with KC's WR's & TE's who doesn't think the kid has 3 - 4 TD passes? 

23 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

Agreed, 2019 Bills should be a 10 win team.  Beane has enough $$ and draft capital to fix a lot of woes talent wise.  They get it wrong Pegula's should clean house.  Brandon Beane will be a busy boy this off season  I expect some picks traded for players teams cannot afford to keep plus day 1 of free agency better be a big day with some difference makers signed. Note to Beane please unplug the line to the Panthers  Not impressed with Star/Benjamin in the least. 

It would be a welcome surprise but this team needs half a dozen starters, at least, to be a 10 win team. That isn't happening in one off season.

13 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I agree with everything.  Foster should've had a td. Thomas should've had one. Crooms fumble cost us a 3rd td opportunity. Bill had a brilliant strategy running wide in the 1st half. We had no answer. These wrs & te's need to grow up or prepare to bag groceries....and on a positive note Tom is Finally declining. 

New England Patriots 24, Buffalo Bills 12

1. Buffalo's defense did a bang-up job for two and a half quarters (relatively speaking), but the Bills' season was embodied by one play: A Julian Edelman catch and apparent tackle. Instead of the play being over, though, Edelman landed on the defender without hitting the ground, then got up and raced into the end zone for six. A Patriots offense that was struggling to take advantage of opportunities got a gift of one, and that's what ultimately sank the Bills, who couldn't cobble together many points offensively. A bright spot, though: Zay Jones caught five passes for 67 yards and found the end zone.

2. Fresh off the tough loss to Pittsburgh, the Patriots rebounded well. New England's defense caused Josh Allen all sorts of problems, resulting in two interceptions and a 52.6 passer rating. The Patriotsbottled up Buffalo's rushing attack, too, limiting LeSean McCoy to nine yards on six carries. It was a weird game, though, with the teams trading turnovers early and New England again not fully separating from Buffalo until time made it a non-factor. Tom Brady threw an uncharacteristically ugly interception to Lorenzo Alexander, which followed an Allen interception on a great read made by rookie UDFA J.C. JacksonRex Burkhead fumbled in unusual fashion, but Stephen Hauschka doinked a field goal off the post, wasting a Bills opportunity. In the end, though, the team well-versed in success came out on top and punched its ticket to the postseason.

3. This Patriots team doesn't inspire a ton of confidence in where they're headed in the postseason, but one cannot argue with their dominance. NeW England clinched the AFC East for the 10th straight time, an unprecedented and previously unimaginable run of excellence. The Patriots reached double-digit wins, yet again. They soothed concerns for at least a week, and took care of business in a game that could've gone off the rails. That's enough for a happy Sunday in New England as Christmas approaches. Stop wringing your hands about football and go ice skating, folks.

-- Nick Shook

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Brandon Beane drafted a project QB and surrounded him with no receivers, a terrible line, an outdated running game, and no competent veteran backup QB.  Either he’s the dumbest GM in the league or he realizes he’s unfireable.

I think last year was just a confluence of circumstances where the Bills had the draft capital and it was a QB rich draft class and Beane felt he had to make his move and grab one of the top QBs.  I agree completely that the cupboard is bare on the rest of the offense.  Not the optimal situation to throw Allen into. 

I was a "let Allen sit a year" guy at the beginning of the season.  As things played out, I think the Bills had little choice but to play Allen, and in retrospect, I think I was wrong and playing Allen was a good move.  He has gotten better as the year has gone on.  He didn't look good today, neither did the rest of the team.  I do think he is going to be a baller and next year should show us what we have when Beane is able to put some talent around him.

I agree that it's time for Shady to go.  Every time he touches the ball it is a loss or 2-3 yard gain.  He was a great RB for years but I think he is at the end of his career.  Grab a mid round RB in the draft who can catch the ball and keep Ivory to be the pounder.  Spend what you have to in free agency money and in draft capital to put an O- line in front of Allen and give him an opportunity to develop.  I think the O-line has got to be the #1 priority this off season, not WRs.  Give Allen a few seconds to stand in the pocket and we can get by with average WRs. 

2 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

I have yet to openly criticize McDermitt but today he was awful. His players werent ready, the game plan was awful and he just doesnt have the pulse of the game and adjust. Furthermore, another piss poor outing ST wise yet Crossman is still here? 

Edmunds hasnt developed at all and today he had the worst day, imo, of his pro career.

Daboll called a terrible game - he doesnt have much to work with thou

Allen looked really bad at times- Draft another QB- not sold on this kid.

Kyles Mini Me does nothing for me, and KW looks like there is nothing left in the tank

Mckenzie just isnt an NFL WR and he scares me on Special Teams

Logan Thomas- dropped a sure TD

Say goodbye to Clay, Shady, KW, most of the OL, McKenzie, Alexander, Ford, Ivory and Hopefully Crossman.

What is a rookie QB to do when the OC doesn't call 6 yard outs when he needs 5 yards as he calls 15 or deeper plays hoping for that big play. It's not about moving the chains like it is when NE, with Daboll it's all about the big play. 

It had better be Crossman's last year in Buffalo AND Juan Castillo too. Otherwise kick McD out the door with both those bums. 

Allen is the result of an OC who calls plays like he has an experienced veteran QB behind center and an outstanding offensive line to allow for those mid to deep pass plays he keeps calling. They work when you get the lead and start the game with a bomb to scare the DBs and if that doesn't happen the run game and pass game don't work. 

This year's team has so many bad players on offense and yet I know this HC/ GM with draft a DT, LBer with the first two picks.

WHEN will this franchise hire a head coach capable of beating the Patriots? 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mojo44 said:

Allen was the best player on the field for the Bills. His progress is more than noteworthy this year. Drafting another quarterback is pure folly and, quite honestly, a silly idea. And, give Edmunds this year.He has earned that.  The main thing I get out of the OP is that you should have waited a day before making those points. Let the excessive emotionality of the loss wear off.

If Allen was the best player on the field for the Bills, we are in SERIOUS trouble as an organization.

He struggled as virtually all rookie QB's do against Belichick in NE. Not a serious concern for his career trajectory, but if that's the best, what's the worst? Holy smokes.

2 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

What is a rookie QB to do when the OC doesn't call 6 yard outs when he needs 5 yards as he calls 15 or deeper plays hoping for that big play. It's not about moving the chains like it is when NE, with Daboll it's all about the big play. 

It had better be Crossman's last year in Buffalo AND Juan Castillo too. Otherwise kick McD out the door with both those bums. 

Allen is the result of an OC who calls plays like he has an experienced veteran QB behind center and an outstanding offensive line to allow for those mid to deep pass plays he keeps calling. They work when you get the lead and start the game with a bomb to scare the DBs and if that doesn't happen the run game and pass game don't work. 

This year's team has so many bad players on offense and yet I know this HC/ GM with draft a DT, LBer with the first two picks.

That takes new ownership that when it says win now mode; it means win now.  Until then we are as stuck as Lions fans.  

4 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

You have made some valid points! There are some throws that all QB’s must make, regardless if they are a rookie or not. JOsh’s accuracy is comcerning to me.

I am not certain we will get it right in the draft or FA. Im getting the sense this regime is lost. When you hire the HC first then he lobby’s for the GM its just ass backwards and typically teams that do that lose.

I will agree the talent pool is low- really low. But as it looks right now Edmunds and Phillips are whiffs. 

14 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

If Allen was the best player on the field for the Bills, we are in SERIOUS trouble as an organization.

He struggled as virtually all rookie QB's do against Belichick in NE. Not a serious concern for his career trajectory, but if that's the best, what's the worst? Holy smokes.

Agreed. The point is, other than our young quarterback, the offense needs totally to be revamped. We do not have any talent, either receivers, offense of line men and, quite frankly, running backs. But Josh is, in my opinion, one hell of a good starting point. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

I have yet to openly criticize McDermitt but today he was awful. His players werent ready, the game plan was awful and he just doesnt have the pulse of the game and adjust. Furthermore, another piss poor outing ST wise yet Crossman is still here? 

Edmunds hasnt developed at all and today he had the worst day, imo, of his pro career.

Daboll called a terrible game - he doesnt have much to work with thou

Allen looked really bad at times- Draft another QB- not sold on this kid.

Kyles Mini Me does nothing for me, and KW looks like there is nothing left in the tank

Mckenzie just isnt an NFL WR and he scares me on Special Teams

Logan Thomas- dropped a sure TD

Say goodbye to Clay, Shady, KW, most of the OL, McKenzie, Alexander, Ford, Ivory and Hopefully Crossman.

Sounds like you should catch the next patriots bandwagon that comes by

2 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Sad thing is, it wont matter if Brady retires or not, he isnt needed to win these games, the Bill's 'offence' cant score against them.

It certainly didn't matter that Brady had a worse rating then Allen as Brady had a 48.3, Allen a 52.6. Their stats were similar. 

The difference in the game was that the Patriots were easily able to run the ball on Buffalo with Michel having a 6.1 YPC average. who had 18 carries for 116 yards, 1 TD. The Patriots also ran the ball 47 times vs Buffalo 18 times despite Ford averaging 4.7 YPC. Bills leading rusher with 7 carries for 33 yards.

MEANWHILE, Allen 20 of 41 for 217 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs. Sure, make the rookie QB carry the offense and throw 41 times in Gillette stadium where no rookie QBs have ever had success. 

Just now, billsfan_34 said:

So if a Posters makes an honest assessment on the team your butt hurt? Let me call the Wambulance for you.

Lol, wambulance. Honest how? Id agruge the only person 'butt hurt' here is you and thats what led to this terrible post. 

Only thing honest about it is that its a perfect example of whats wrong with some fans and their over reactions - both good and bad. 

Have some context and some levelheaded-ness. 

You make it sound so terrible that you might just be better off going to a team that seemingly can do no wrong. 

Was it a good game? No. Was it anywhere near as dire as this post suggests? No. In fact,  id hate to see how you react to a REAL problem...

26 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

You have made some valid points! There are some throws that all QB’s must make, regardless if they are a rookie or not. JOsh’s accuracy is comcerning to me.

I am not certain we will get it right in the draft or FA. Im getting the sense this regime is lost. When you hire the HC first then he lobby’s for the GM its just ass backwards and typically teams that do that lose.

I will agree the talent pool is low- really low. But as it looks right now Edmunds and Phillips are whiffs. 

Alot bigger problems with these coaches and players than Allen's accuracy. Get him at least average NFL talent on offense and I'll bet you see his accuracy drastically improve.

9 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

It certainly didn't matter that Brady had a worse rating then Allen as Brady had a 48.3, Allen a 52.6. Their stats were similar. 

The difference in the game was that the Patriots were easily able to run the ball on Buffalo with Michel having a 6.1 YPC average. who had 18 carries for 116 yards, 1 TD. The Patriots also ran the ball 47 times vs Buffalo 18 times despite Ford averaging 4.7 YPC. Bills leading rusher with 7 carries for 33 yards.

MEANWHILE, Allen 20 of 41 for 217 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs. Sure, make the rookie QB carry the offense and throw 41 times in Gillette stadium where no rookie QBs have ever had success. 

Nothing surprising here. The Pats are smart. They went with the classic "make Josh Allen beat you with his passing" theory, stacked the box, stuffed the run, and shut down the Bills. Still, we would have had a fighting chance if a couple receivers could have made a couple plays on very catchable balls, or even if the Shady of 2014-15 had reemerged and broken a few tackles. But right now, outside of Allen (and Foster on fly routes only so far) we don't have any playmakers.

1 minute ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

There is no victories in this whatsoever.  Learned point blank Sean McDermott is not on the same intellectual level as Belicheat, Anthony Lynn, Andy Reid, Frank Reich, and or Mike Vrabel.  The only real reason he got hired is because Lynn disagrees with affirmative action; where Kim agreed with it, and didn’t want a Coach being called an Uncle Tom.  So, she pretty much bypasses all EOE mandates and hired McDermott because he’s a generation apart from Terry as a frat brother.  

What? This is a new kind of dumb theory. They were afraid to hire a black head coach because he said something about "I want to succeed on merit," so instead they hired a white head coach?

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I think we can also safely say this front 7 needs a game changer and the notion that the defense is "set" has to be put to bed. We clearly missed Milano, but there were far too many guys either mailing it in or simply not physically up to the challenge.

I felt the same about mailing it in.  How can we have so many players that can't tackle?  Levi Wallace is a joke.  Did we make mistakes signing 'Star' and Trent Murphy rather than a free agent guard or tackle??

6 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Nothing surprising here. The Pats are smart. They went with the classic "make Josh Allen beat you with his passing" theory, stacked the box, stuffed the run, and shut down the Bills. Still, we would have had a fighting chance if a couple receivers could have made a couple plays on very catchable balls, or even if the Shady of 2014-15 had reemerged and broken a few tackles. But right now, outside of Allen (and Foster on fly routes only so far) we don't have any playmakers.

Classic out coaching. With Brady looking so shaky why not do the exact same thing and stack the box to stop the run.

My point was though with Ford averaging 4.7 yards per carry why not have him run the ball more then 7 times? The Bills offense only attempted 18 runs vs the Patriots 47 carries. 

Edited by Nihilarian

Just now, PUNT750 said:

I felt the same about mailing it in.  How can we have so many players that can't tackle?  Levi Wallace is a joke.  Did we make mistakes signing 'Star' and Trent Murphy rather than a free agent guard or tackle??

When Levi Wallace is counted on to make tackles, something went wrong up front. But he clearly doesn't have the frame or instincts to stop the run. I'm not a fan of Star or Murphy but I've beaten that horse to death. Just have to live with it because they're not going anywhere. 

The organization has to have an amazing off season or we'll be looking for a new regime in 2020. It's that simple.

• Like (+1) 1