Bills fall from 6th to 10th in Draft Order

Big Turk

Bills most likely scenario is they finish 6-10 losing to the Pats on the road and beating Miami at home...

That probably will keep us in the top 10 but if we lose both that would be ideal, especially if we have good offensive showings in both games.

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Bills most likely scenario is they finish 6-10 losing to the Pats on the road and beating Miami at home...

That probably will keep us in the top 10 but if we lose both that would be ideal, especially if we have good offensive showings in both games.

This is going to seem contrarian, especially coming from me....but I disagree. Why?

The Bills need OFFENSIVE help in the draft, and from what I've read/heard just about everyone in the top 10 is a defensive star. So rather than have them reach, I'd like to see them drop to take O help.

• Like (+1) 2

It is unfortunate that there are 5 total 5-9 teams and we draft last out of ALL of them due to us owning the highest SOS. I hope this isn’t shades of the 2004 Draft where our 6-10 record in 2003 only netted us the 13th pick (due- again- to a very high SOS). Not that we need a QB- we don’t- but that high SOS is a critical reason we missed out on Big Ben at 10 and reached for Losman in a trade-up to 22.

Edited by Midwest1981
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Who cares? We have our QB. The value a 6 and 12 will be similar, we are not going to be high enough to have someone trade up. The success rate for picks in the 6-12 range is identical. Lets work on developing Josh Allen, hopefully he beats the Pats and Miami. That would make us a very attractive free agency location next year. The middle of the first round is more of a sweet spot for offence anyway. We could probably get Metcalf, Fant, or Little. All of those guys would improve this team a lot. 

• Like (+1) 7

I couldn't care less about where we draft this year. Actually the lower the pick the better Imo. I do not want to draft a wr, rb or o-line in the top 10. To me that is way too much risk. You can get a number 1 wr in the 20s and top o line in rounds 2-4. 

• Like (+1) 1

Of course the draft is very important.

However, more concerning to me (honestly) is that another team in our division, has a good young QB, and has more money than we do making the case to free agents to go there because the "better shot" is with them.

So, paraphrasing what I have stated before I would love to tell FAs, "we have an established coaching staff that has made it to the playoffs, we have a great Defense, we have money for you and our QB, and our team for that matter, had a better record than that other team you might be interested in...join the fun here in WNY."

"...oh...and Tom Brady is turning 42."

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

winning/playing well is more important than a few draft spots. Sorry but it is. Lets keep the JA train rolling. 

No, it's not.

Don't get me wrong, while I am excited to see Allen develop, the draft position never stops being important. 3 days after the season ends, you will not remember these useless victories, but you will then immediately wish we picked higher. 

1 minute ago, Clemfield2622 said:

No, it's not.

Don't get me wrong, while I am excited to see Allen develop, the draft position never stops being important. 3 days after the season ends, you will not remember these useless victories, but you will then immediately wish we picked higher. 

No I really won’t. We will be fine picking in the middle of round 1. I may feel different if there was a superstar WR or OL but there isn’t. We can get an equivalent offensive talent from pick 5-15. If you want defence this draft is loaded, there won’t be a huge drop off there either.

Edited by billspro
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Clemfield2622 said:

No, it's not.

In most years, I'd agree with you on this. But this year, in which most of the first round talent is defensive, it would suit OUR team best to pick later.

12 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

This is going to seem contrarian, especially coming from me....but I disagree. Why?

The Bills need OFFENSIVE help in the draft, and from what I've read/heard just about everyone in the top 10 is a defensive star. So rather than have them reach, I'd like to see them drop to take O help.

Then why not get in the top 10 and trade down for more picks for the offensive help?  You know that someone is gonna want to move up - if you need a lot of help, then stockpile more picks.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Billzfan23 said:

Then why not get in the top 10 and trade down for more picks for the offensive help?  You know that someone is gonna want to move up - if you need a lot of help, then stockpile more picks.

Not necessarily. Generally, people only trade up for QB. And isn't this a paltry year for QBs?

3 minutes ago, Clemfield2622 said:

No, it's not.

I might not remember those wins, but Josh Allen and company will. Believe that. Winnings breeds winning. Confidence breeds confidence. Don't care about draft position. Can trade up, can trade down, can stand pat. Doesn't matter. You play to win the game. 

• Like (+1) 7

10 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Not necessarily. Generally, people only trade up for QB. And isn't this a paltry year for QBs?

I don't have time to look it up right now but I recall a trade down involving Julio Jones. I'm sure there are more examples but they are generally not blockbuster deals.

Edit: There were a few last year that didn't involve qbs, to include our own Edmunds.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Billzfan23 said:

Doubt it, teams trade up into the top ten for QBs. There was a few trade ups for other positions but that is actually more likely in the teens, see last years draft.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Clemfield2622 said:

No, it's not.

I won't a few months later if we draft an Edmunds or White level player. About the only way I might wish we pick higher is if it's below top ten -- and that's for the silly reason that ten is often the cutoff for mini-mock drafts on TV and it can be admittedly satisfying to hear the Bills debated on national TV.

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Yes, but if they are top 5 they could trade down, pick up an extra high pick and STILL get the player they wanted on offense lower...

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

I might not remember those wins, but Josh Allen and company will. Believe that. Winnings breeds winning. Confidence breeds confidence. Don't care about draft position. Can trade up, can trade down, can stand pat. Doesn't matter. You play to win the game. 

Also, let’s best the Pats. We could use some confidence against those guys going into next season. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Clemfield2622 said:

No, it's not.

We might not remember the victories but a young QB gaining confidence in himself and of his teammates by playing well late in games is important. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Yes, but if they are top 5 they could trade down, pick up an extra high pick and STILL get the player they wanted on offense lower...

I don’t see any players worth trading up for this year. Unless someone really wants a DE.

17 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

winning/playing well is more important than a few draft spots. Sorry but it is. Lets keep the JA train rolling. 

This is so profoundly true. Don’t worry about dropping a couple of rungs on the draft ladder. It is not consequential compared to developing a winning attitude on this team. It boggles my mind when fans think otherwise! 

15 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

This. If there is a guy they feel is worth getting Beane isn't shy to move around. 

That's the whole problem tho...he could move DOWN and pick up a 2nd round pick and still get the guy he wants if we were 5th versus having to move UP and GIVE a pick...

They picked one of the best defensive backs in the NFL at pick #27. 

They picked a stud LB in the 5th Round.

They snagged a #2 WR who is a legit deep threat as an UDFA.

I'm not worried about where we draft now that we've found our QB.   This staff seems to know what they're doing here.  

Clearly we'd all rather have a top 5 pick, but progress is more important now.

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I don't have time to look it up right now but I recall a trade down involving Julio Jones. I'm sure there are more examples but they are generally not blockbuster deals.

Edit: There were a few last year that didn't involve qbs, to include our own Edmunds.

The monster trade up for a non QB last year was the Saints coming all the way up to 14 for Marcus Davenport. They gave up their 5th and their 2019 1st to jump from 27 to 14. He has played reasonably well around some injuries but I said at the time and maintain he has to be Von Miller to make that trade worth it!

• Like (+1) 1

Consider the source of this conversation:

The fact that this team, which was once called by outsiders and its own fans the WORST in the NFL, can at this point be considered possibly only the 10th worst team in the league.

I can hear you yukking it up at that statement, but also consider they've started a rookie at QB almost all year with a surrounding cast of used car salesmen while facing one of the toughest schedules in the league.

If that doesn't give you hope for '19, well then I've got no idea how to help you.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

That's the whole problem tho...he could move DOWN and pick up a 2nd round pick and still get the guy he wants if we were 5th versus having to move UP and GIVE a pick...

At the end of the day, they are just picks. Draft picks are really over valued. Important, yes. But over valued the same.

12 minutes ago, billspro said:

Also, let’s best the Pats. We could use some confidence against those guys going into next season. 

If we beat the Pats then everyone above can kick me in the junk for my statement above. THAT win would be worth it. 

As others are saying, yes, this is a D heavy draft and Beane has stated he will take BPA. But on a team with a lot of holes, how much would you love a Colts-esque trade down from 3 to 6 to add 2 2nd's? I know that was for a QB, but when you're talking top 5 picks, all bets are off. 

When you have what appears to be your franchise qb, draft position is not nearly as important. For the past 15 years or so, it seems that being near the top for a qb or an elite talent was necessary in order to give hope for the next year. But with Allen looking like the answer, he already gives us hope for next year. And with the scouting staff seemingly being able to identify talent in the later rounds or on the street, it also gives you confidence that dropping down a few slots is not going to matter as much. Too many times in the past I have wanted the Bills to lose games at the end of the season to gain draft position. This year and of course last year have been different. I just want to see the young guys like Allen, Foster, McKenzie, Edmunds etc. keep building and having success. That is much more important that losing a few draft slots. Having a franchise qb completely changes the mentality surrounding the draft and it feels great to finally have that feeling.

• Like (+1) 3