Jerry Hughes Confronts Official after the Game - Umpire Roy Ellison Reinstated After Being Fined $9300

13 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I guarantee other refs will have it out for Hughes the rest of the season. Officiating across the league is a total joke, somehow worse than ever.

So just business as usual for Hughes then, because they always seem to pay a little extra attention to him. (unless he is being held, then they ignore it)

• Like (+1) 1

If nothing else, it places a certain segment of zebra clowns on notice (I still believe most try to do their jobs as fairly as possible, but...) that Hughes will call 'em like he sees it back. In this case, well deserved. The NFL has enough to worry about on its plate right now in terms of PR disasters (domestic abusers, attendance, lingering anthem, Kaep) to also let its officiating no longer be above reasonable reproach. Expect quick/decisive action? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Would not be surprised to see Ellison terminated for being a repeat offender.

Ya know, Corner, I am not a "the refs cost us the game" kinda guy.

However, given this suspension and given that guy's history...DID the refs cost us the game on Sunday?

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

However, given this suspension and given that guy's history...DID the refs cost us the game on Sunday?

Good question, but the Bills made plenty of their own mistakes with a failure to capitalize on opportunities to make plays.  The game was certainly poorly offciated and that didn't help the cause. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I just wonder whether teams are able to criticize the officiating - like submit film from the previous game showing all the calls they missed etc.

A ref who tells Allen to quit whining/crying, and another who calls Hughes a name - like... its clear they weren't interested in calling this game down the middle.

If a ref told Allen to quit whining/crying after all the head shots he took, the officiating is an even bigger joke that I thought.  And teams do submit film.

10 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Yes.

• Thank you (+1) 2

13 hours ago, davspo said:

I highly doubt they could be more abusive to the Bills-maybe just maybe they will begin to treat them fairly

I agree. I see them calling more grey area penalties on the Bills and missing more on the opposing team.. and if Hughes even has a semi questionable hit.. it will be “personal foul and 15 yard penalty” 

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

Can anyone here post video, maybe from the all 22, of hughes being held without flags being thrown? I hear this argument all the time in the game day threads. Would like to see it with my eyes 

I have seen it several times, usually because I was either watching the rush or because the guys in the booth capture Jerry uselessly pleading his case to the refs and they do the viewer a solid and show the replay. It really happens, and there does seem to be another standard for holds that applies to Jerry.

I don't know if Jerry gave up on complaining (small wonder), or if it was happening so much that they just stopped showing the replays, but it does not get the same level of attention it has gotten in previous years particularly when he was chasing down sack records and such. Still happens just about every play where he beats a guy on the outside rush, or on the interior twist and swim moves that catch a lot of guards in bad position (not just Teller).

But yeah, I would like to see more of the defensive plays on the All-22 review, but they have mostly focused on Josh - for good reason. And beggars can't be choosers.

On 12/5/2018 at 9:45 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Yup. The way these (insert your favorite expletive here) close ranks when in the wrong, and their version of addressing their own performance issues is rarely a transparent process that leads to better results.

Even their standard response to the accuracy on penalties (we usually grade out at 95% or higher when reviewing penalties that are assessed) does not even factor in why they appear in certain games to have two different rule books when calling those penalties. Sure Teller held, but calling holds on interior linemen, if consistent, could take up most of the game. That is my beef with NFL officiating, and I believe they often do let personal bias get in the way.

A well officiated game to me is where they don't take over the game by throwing so many flags it is unwatchable, AND the types of calls seem to be applied consistently for both teams, NOT evaluating whether a particular call was accurate by the letter of the law - so to speak.

Jerry better have his head on a swivel, because he isn't going to get any calls to go his way, and a  crackback-block against him may not have any repercussions for the offending team next game.

Edited by WideNine
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I the grander scheme of things I think what Hughes did was selfish and will hurt him and the team in the long run.  Her certainly will not get any calls nor will the rest of the Bills this season and beyond.  Thanks a lot buddy.  His teammates should give him a blanket party.  Frankly, I hope he gets suspended because he threatened an official and deserves a lengthy suspension. 

2 minutes ago, Irv said:

I the grander scheme of things I think what Hughes did was selfish and will hurt him and the team in the long run.  Her certainly will not get any calls nor will the rest of the Bills this season and beyond.  Thanks a lot buddy.  His teammates should give him a blanket party.  Frankly, I hope he gets suspended because he threatened an official and deserves a lengthy suspension. 

A blanket party.  LMFAO!!!

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

I agree. I see them calling more grey area penalties on the Bills and missing more on the opposing team.. and if Hughes even has a semi questionable hit.. it will be “personal foul and 15 yard penalty” 

Yet we have some Bills fans saying that we get the same treatment as every team in the league.  Unbelievable.  Well said with the “grey area” penalties.  If the call could go either way, it goes against the Bills 80% of the time

my buddy who watches every Bills game with me, who is a niner fan, thinks it’s SO obvious that we get the crap end of the officiating stick in the majority of the games we play.  

23 minutes ago, Irv said:

Somin other words, Jerry stood up for himself and things will stay exactly as they’ve always been.  Good for you Jerry.  Officiating is ruining the NFL imo

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yet we have some Bills fans saying that we get the same treatment as every team in the league.  Unbelievable.  Well said with the “grey area” penalties.  If the call could go either way, it goes against the Bills 80% of the time

my buddy who watches every Bills game with me, who is a niner fan, thinks it’s SO obvious that we get the crap end of the officiating stick in the majority of the games we play.  

Somin other words, Jerry stood up for himself and things will stay exactly as they’ve always been.  Good for you Jerry.  Officiating is ruining the NFL imo

100% accurate!  

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

Yup. The way these (insert your favorite expletive here) close ranks when in the wrong, and their version of addressing their own performance issues is rarely a transparent process that leads to better results.

Even their standard response to the accuracy on penalties (we usually grade out at 95% or higher when reviewing penalties that are assessed) does not even factor in why they appear in certain games to have two different rule books when calling those penalties. Sure Teller held, but calling holds on interior linemen, if consistent, could take up most of the game. That is my beef with NFL officiating, and I believe they often do let personal bias get in the way.

A well officiated game to me is where they don't take over the game by throwing so many flags it is unwatchable, AND the types of calls seem to be applied consistently for both teams, NOT evaluating whether a particular call was accurate by the letter of the law - so to speak.

Jerry better have his head on a swivel, because he isn't going to get any calls to go his way, and a chop-block against him may not have an repercussions for the offending team next game.

yeah but if the media picks up on it it will turn into a ***** storm for the NFL....  They don't like negitive publicity so it will probably have the opposite affect short term, but long term calls will start to diminish. 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, it's not like officiating can get worse. 

Wait, can it?

27 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

It's intersting that the ref's Union is willing to put in writing that they don't view Hughes impartially.  Isn't impatiality the basis of their job?  

That's exactly what I thought when I read it. Having a "well-documented history...". BS!!! That should not have any bearing on the treatment of a player.

• Like (+1) 1

Ellison is no stranger to verbal confrontation. He was suspended in 2013 for “profane and derogatory comments” he allegedly made toward Washington tackle Trent Williams. At the time, only 5 other situations in NFL history spawned a suspension (in some cases more than one official). Should the leave be extended into a suspension, he will join Jack Fette as the only official to be suspended for separate incidents.

Ellison was the umpire in Super Bowl LII last February as well as Super Bowl XLIII (Steelers-Cardinals). Since 2007, he has missed the postseason only twice, one was due to a late-season injury. He is also one of the league’s 24 full-time officials.

Hughes, as the NFLRA notes, also has history with conflict with officials. According to Spotrac, Hughes was fined $22,050 for abusive language towards an official in a 2014 game in Miami and $23,152 for verbal abuse of an official the following season against the Giants.

The current NFL rule/fine structure that punishes players and coaches from accosting officials do nothing, and it is time for the NFL to start suspending players and coaches who make it a point to berate officials after the game.

There were two high-profile incidents this weekend where players made it a point to seek out and berate officials after the clock hit zero. The first one was the Buffalo Bills Jerry Hughes going after official Roy Ellison in the tunnel after the game.

Another happened this weekend as Taylor Lewan of the Tennessee Titans made it a point to berate Jerome Boger’s crew as they were running off the field

There could be extenuating circumstances surrounding the Hughes incident and Ellison is on administrative leave while the NFL continues it’s investigation.

Extenuating circumstances or not, the NFL must crack down on postgame abuse of officials.

Why do players wait until after the game to accost the officials? Simple:

They do not risk costing their team a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty

The officials can’t eject them

The fine structure is no deterrent

For many NFL players, a five, 10 or 25-thousand dollar fine does not impact their economic life. Some players set aside a part of their salary to pay NFL fines. The fact that the game is over allows them to get a shot at the officials without fear of harming their team. The fine is insignificant to them.

A postgame confrontation in the stadium tunnel — with another player, a coach or an official — is unwise and almost always inappropriate.

As soon as I heard Bills pass rusher Jerry Hughes had chased down an official after Sunday’s loss to the Miami Dolphins, I dreaded what might happen to my former teammate.

Then I discovered he was mad because he claimed umpire Roy Ellison called him “a B word.”

That information changed my thinking a bit.

I don’t believe Jerry had an intention of getting physical. I think he truly wanted to yell at Ellison and get an explanation for why an NFL employee would allegedly call him “a B word.”

The fact that Ellison admitted calling Washington left tackle Trent Williams the N-word and got suspended for it, I would say there’s probably fire to that smoke.

There’s no place in sports for officials to call players names.

Officials have such a significant influence on the outcome of a game that they shouldn’t be calling us names and trying to ignite us toward them. They need to be stoic and even and above the chaos, not creating conflict.

I assume the NFL has audio of what Ellison said to Jerry because the league has said Jerry won’t be suspended and has put Ellison on administrative leave. The NFL already has figured out something happened while they investigate further.

1 minute ago, Uncle Joe said:

"well-documented history of altercations"

There even is video of him assaulting a teammate:

billswat.0.gif

Hughes, as the NFLRA notes, also has history with conflict with officials. According to Spotrac, Hughes was fined $22,050 for abusive language towards an official in a 2014 game in Miami and $23,152 for verbal abuse of an official the following season against the Giants.

26 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

A postgame confrontation in the stadium tunnel — with another player, a coach or an official — is unwise and almost always inappropriate.

As soon as I heard Bills pass rusher Jerry Hughes had chased down an official after Sunday’s loss to the Miami Dolphins, I dreaded what might happen to my former teammate.

Then I discovered he was mad because he claimed umpire Roy Ellison called him “a B word.”

That information changed my thinking a bit.

I don’t believe Jerry had an intention of getting physical. I think he truly wanted to yell at Ellison and get an explanation for why an NFL employee would allegedly call him “a B word.”

The fact that Ellison admitted calling Washington left tackle Trent Williams the N-word and got suspended for it, I would say there’s probably fire to that smoke.

There’s no place in sports for officials to call players names.

Officials have such a significant influence on the outcome of a game that they shouldn’t be calling us names and trying to ignite us toward them. They need to be stoic and even and above the chaos, not creating conflict.

I assume the NFL has audio of what Ellison said to Jerry because the league has said Jerry won’t be suspended and has put Ellison on administrative leave. The NFL already has figured out something happened while they investigate further.

Here’s what I thought was interesting from that article:

I learned the hard way that the Mike Krzyzewski, Tom Izzo approach of wearing down referees with the expectation of getting a call late in the game doesn’t apply to NFL officials.

I teetered on the edge through college and the first part of my NFL career. I was known as a hothead, and I thought that’s what gave me an advantage. I played so mad. I wanted to tell everybody off — in practice even. I wanted to tell the defense what I thought at all times, whether that caused a fight or not.

That kind of attitude bled into how I treated officials. I was so hypercompetitive and wanted to win so badly that when a call didn’t go our way, I rode the refs. When I was on the sideline and our defense was on the field, I was chirping the officials: “That’s a hold! That receiver picked the safety!” All with colorful language.

So I found myself feeling rather targeted by 2013. I had four games that year in which I was penalized multiple times.

I asked myself why I was being singled out in a league when you can call holding on almost every single play. Our blocking scheme at the time was inside zone. I was at the point of attack on nearly every run. Yes, I would have more holding calls than a center in a wide-zone scheme, but I was getting them at a high rate.

That year, I distinctly recall getting flagged for holding twice against the Baltimore Ravens.

The first wiped out a fourth-and-1 conversion ran 13 yards to the Ravens’ 15-yard line. Instead, we didn’t even kick the field goal. On fourth-and-11 from the 38-yard line, Doug Marrone chose to punt. The second hold wiped out a 10-yard Tashard Choice run.

We won the game, thank goodness, but I was livid with the officials. I didn’t think either of them was justified.

My tune toward the officials changed that offseason after doing a comprehensive review of my game and figuring out the player and leader I wanted to be going forward. I was overly nice to the officials to see if it would change things up, and I got a whole lot fewer holding calls from then on. My blocking style wasn’t that much different.”

Edited by TroutDog
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I actually think Jerry has been on 'good behavior' the last 2 years prior to the Miami game.
The officials, not so much.

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/5/2018 at 9:28 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Ellison is no stranger to verbal confrontation. He was suspended in 2013 for “profane and derogatory comments” he allegedly made toward Washington tackle Trent Williams. At the time, only 5 other situations in NFL history spawned a suspension (in some cases more than one official). Should the leave be extended into a suspension, he will join Jack Fette as the only official to be suspended for separate incidents.

Ellison was the umpire in Super Bowl LII last February as well as Super Bowl XLIII (Steelers-Cardinals). Since 2007, he has missed the postseason only twice, one was due to a late-season injury. He is also one of the league’s 24 full-time officials.

The current NFL rule/fine structure that punishes players and coaches from accosting officials do nothing, and it is time for the NFL to start suspending players and coaches who make it a point to berate officials after the game.

There were two high-profile incidents this weekend where players made it a point to seek out and berate officials after the clock hit zero. The first one was the Buffalo Bills Jerry Hughes going after official Roy Ellison in the tunnel after the game.

Another happened this weekend as Taylor Lewan of the Tennessee Titans made it a point to berate Jerome Boger’s crew as they were running off the field

There could be extenuating circumstances surrounding the Hughes incident and Ellison is on administrative leave while the NFL continues it’s investigation.

Extenuating circumstances or not, the NFL must crack down on postgame abuse of officials.

Why do players wait until after the game to accost the officials? Simple:

They do not risk costing their team a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty

The officials can’t eject them

The fine structure is no deterrent

For many NFL players, a five, 10 or 25-thousand dollar fine does not impact their economic life. Some players set aside a part of their salary to pay NFL fines. The fact that the game is over allows them to get a shot at the officials without fear of harming their team. The fine is insignificant to them.