Ed Oliver won't be a Buffalo Bill

3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Why do you care enough about this to start a thread? It's weird.

why are you responding ?

Um let's see, we could draft him, so ...

2 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

We're not going to draft defense with the pick anyways, so this discussion is MOOT...

They had better draft offense in Round 1 or some of us are going to be extremely angry... there is no justification for drafting defensive with that high of a pick. If they do, McDermott at least needs to go. We can't afford another former DC turned head coach shafting our offense for another 3 years... THE PRESENT AND FUTURE IN THE NFL IS OFFENSE, NOT DEFENSE.

seriously  ??

many think we will go defense with our first pick, so it is not moot.

this draft has tons of high level defenders so unless we are in the right spot to one of the few offenders ,don't be surprised if there is a defensive pick.

5 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Jordan phillips 

Somehow I think they will see this differently.

3 hours ago, White Linen said:

{b]Then why have rules at all?  Everybody just do what ever you want.  Everyone challenges everything now. [/b] 

Those jackets are not just normal jackets - they are the ones made to go over players wearing equipment - how hard is it to understand?  

My wifes a teacher and the kids have changed. It's because there's parents like you that say - is it really that big a deal that he was a few minutes late?

You answered your own question with a question: Why have this idiotic rule? There certainly are more than enough jackets to go around. The reason why there is such a fool rule is to put pressure on players who are hurt to get back on the field.

You act as if if there would be anarchy by challenging a moronic rule. This issue goes beyond a stupid rule to the action of publicly enforcing  to embarrass his player. The intelligent and common sense way for the HC to have handled this situation is do it at halftime in the locker room. The HC made an issue of it to embarrass the player. 

Of course the kids of today that your wife teaches (I salute her for her noble and challenging profesion) have changed. The world has dramatically changed compared to the 60s or whichever prio era you choose. Students will challenge stupid rules just like employees of today will challenge stupid rules in the workplace. 

In my view the coach acted foolishly and the player understandably reacted the way he did. I have no problem with the player while I do have a problem with this fool coach. 

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You answered your own question with a question: Why have this idiotic rule? There certainly are more than enough jackets to go around. The reason why there is such a fool rule is to put pressure on players who are hurt to get back on the field.

You act as if if there would be anarchy by challenging a moronic rule. This issue goes beyond a stupid rule to the action of publicly enforcing  to embarrass his player. The intelligent and common sense way for the HC to have handled this situation is do it at halftime in the locker room. The HC made an issue of it to embarrass the player. 

Of course the kids of today that your wife teaches (I salute her for her noble and challenging profesion) have changed. The world has dramatically changed compared to the 60s or whichever prio era you choose. Students will challenge stupid rules just like employees of today will challenge stupid rules in the workplace. 

In my view the coach acted foolishly and the player understandably reacted the way he did. I have no problem with the player while I do have a problem with this fool coach. 

Attacking your head coach during the game is moronic.

I would kick him off the team. He obviously doesn't want to be there and his knee is fine, if he was a real man he would just leave the team to focus on the NFL 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I wouldn't take a DT in the top 5 no matter how dominant they project to be. Elite DTs aren't an important piece. The Rams have the best DT in football and he is the last reason they are winning games. DT is also last on our list of needs IMO, or at least second last above safety. Oliver would be a luxury pick and we can't afford that.

I've come around to the idea that Greedy Williams would be a good pick because that would give us an absolutely shut down secondary. But I find it much more appealing to trade down and draft the best receiver available. Or if we stay put I guess Jonah Williams. I'm not a huge fan of o-line in the top 5 either but I'd like that better than Oliver.

Usually I'm riding in the same choo choo train that you are riding in. Not this time. If this player was available when we drafted and passed on him because of the position he played I would be upset. I'm not suggesting that your other draft strategies don't have merit because they do. I have no problem trading down or selecting a player such as Jonah Williams. But if a player such as Oliver who is rated at the top or near top of the draft was available I would without any equivocation pick him. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Attacking your head coach during the game is moronic.

I would kick him off the team. He obviously doesn't want to be there and his knee is fine, if he was a real man he would just leave the team to focus on the NFL 

Your characterization of his response is an exaggeration and is inaccurate.

And how do you know what the actual condition of his knee is?

If I were advising him I would recommend that he should leave the team and get away from this fool coach. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, JohnC said:

Your characterization of his response is an exaggeration and is inaccurate.

And how do you know what the actual condition of his knee is?

If I were advising him I would recommend that he should leave the team and get away from this fool coach. 

Did you see him running around?? He's fine and a b!tch, no thanks , besides there are a lot better guys than him, don't need divas here.

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Did you see him running around?? He's fine and a b!tch, no thanks , besides there are a lot better guys than him, don't need divas here.

Do you blame him... He's not making bank.  Why should he play and threaten that knee worse than some non-contact reps out there?

Maybe he was only cleared for non-contact.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t think we are in agreement. I hold the adult making $1.5M to a higher standard than the 20 year-old. The rule is stupid and without any reason. There are PLENTY of coats to go around. I’m sure Oliver even has one.

Applewhite is butthurt that Oliver isn’t playing and protecting his draft status. That’s what anyone with sense would do. Applewhite should be the adult in the situation. There is no reason for a rule to try to “show who is in charge.” This incident won’t impact Oliver’s future. It certainly puts a negative spotlight on Applewhite though. 

The coach did conduct himself to higher standard. He walked away from the conflict and protected his players image after the game.

Was he not supposed to address an athlete on his team blowing him off? Other players took the coats off without issue. Life is filled with rules that you may not like or understand but you can't rage on someone over it. Oliver doesn't have to be a part of the team. No one is forcing him to play for this coach. If he doesn't like it, he should walk away. 

Applewhite has a job to do and it doesn't revolve around doing things in a way Oliver would prefer. Oliver has played a couple of seasons for Houston, big deal. They will continue to do just fine after he goes pro.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I don’t see the problem in saying both handled it poorly.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Needle said:

The coach did conduct himself to higher standard. He walked away from the conflict and protected his players image after the game.

Was he not supposed to address an athlete on his team blowing him off? Other players took the coats off without issue. Life is filled with rules that you may not like or understand but you can't rage on someone over it. Oliver doesn't have to be a part of the team. No one is forcing him to play for this coach. If he doesn't like it, he should walk away. 

Applewhite has a job to do and it doesn't revolve around doing things in a way Oliver would prefer. Oliver has played a couple of seasons for Houston, big deal. They will continue to do just fine after he goes pro.

He tried to physically remove the coat!! That’s what started it. I don’t consider that a “higher standard.” That was the worst possible response.

He will walk away now. He wasn’t going to play in the bowl game anyways. Applewhite is WAY more replaceable than Oliver. He is their 1st ever 5-star recruit and will be a top 10 pick. That helps programs just like Mack helped UB.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He tried to physically remove the coat!! That’s what started it. I don’t consider that a “higher standard.” That was the worst possible response.

He will walk away now. He wasn’t going to play in the bowl game anyways. Applewhite is WAY more replaceable than Oliver. He is their 1st ever 5-star recruit and will be a top 10 pick. That helps programs just like Mack helped UB.

Yes he put is hand on coat and motioned that he needed to take it off. It was non threatening and hardly aggressive. Was it a mistake? No doubt. The reaction to that mistake? Absurd

Is this a generational thing? I don't mean it as a slight, I'm not dumping on any age group. I am sincerely asking because I can't wrap my head around it. I am pushing 40 and have had many instances of hands on mentoring throughout my life. I dont see what Applewhite did as aggressive at all. I see alot of people saying Oliver is a "grown man" and you don't that. Really seemed minor to me. I don't think he will do it again though Lol.

I don't think Applewhite is easier to replace than Oliver. Players like Oliver stick around for a couple of years. A great coach can change your program for decades. Applewhite could be that guy for all we know and Ed Oliver is already gone.

3 minutes ago, Needle said:

Yes he put is hand on coat and motioned that he needed to take it off. It was non threatening and hardly aggressive. Was it a mistake? No doubt. The reaction to that mistake? Absurd

Is this a generational thing? I don't mean it as a slight, I'm not dumping on any age group. I am sincerely asking because I can't wrap my head around it. I am pushing 40 and have had many instances of hands on mentoring throughout my life. I dont see what Applewhite did as aggressive at all. I see alot of people saying Oliver is a "grown man" and you don't that. Really seemed minor to me. I don't think he will do it again though Lol.

I don't think Applewhite is easier to replace than Oliver. Players like Oliver stick around for a couple of years. A great coach can change your program for decades. Applewhite could be that guy for all we know and Ed Oliver is already gone.

Re-watch it, he started to take off the coat. That’s a terrible look. He should have pulled him aside and talked about (assuming that he cared enough about the stupid rule). Otherwise he should have let it go and addressed it after the game. The only thing that could happen was bad with the way that the “adult” handled it. 

We are roughly the same age (I’m 37) so I’m not sure it’s generational. I just think that people see this thing differently. For me, neither was right in their reaction but I put 85% on Applewhite. He started it AND it was petty and ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Re-watch it, he started to take off the coat. That’s a terrible look. He should have pulled him aside and talked about (assuming that he cared enough about the stupid rule). Otherwise he should have let it go and addressed it after the game. The only thing that could happen was bad with the way that the “adult” handled it. 

We are roughly the same age (I’m 37) so I’m not sure it’s generational. I just think that people see this thing differently. For me, neither was right in their reaction but I put 85% on Applewhite. He started it AND it was petty and ridiculous.

I don't love the idea of him trying to take the coat off but I watched it again and still doesn't seem aggressive. I'd like to think most kids should be able to handle this with out going off the rails though.

I think other posters have it right that there is more to the story than a coat. Its possible that Applewhite has done other questionable things too. It's just assumed Oliver is a pre Madonna. 

The only thing we have is this particular instance and I still think the guy needing to be restrained looks worse.

I wouldn't hold back in drafting him though. Everyone has regrettable moments. Probably Applewhite too.

Let's face it, he likely put himself in a no win situation digging in on a lame rule. His players could have had his back though.

This incident allows him to fall outside of the top 5 right to Buffalo.  He is one of the few difference makers available.  This is a case where the coach acts insecure, and less mature than his athlete.  Buffalo is at the point where they need talent.  

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

I don’t see the problem in saying both handled it poorly.

As Kirby stated neither participant acted with grace. But the adult (the coach) created a situation that escalated. He could have handled it better and not allow a stupid rule infraction to turn into an ESPN segment. But there is another side of this issue that many people are not focusing on as much as I am. This rule is intended to separate the injured players from the active players. It is an insidious rule made to make the injured players not feel part of the team. The danger with this type of separating rule is that it creates an environment where injured players feel pressure to get back on the field before they actually feel ready. With many injuries such as concussions and sore joints it is difficult to determine the health status of the player. The person who knows how he really feels, regardless how it looks, is the player. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

As Kirby stated neither participant acted with grace. But the adult (the coach) created a situation that escalated. He could have handled it better and not allow a stupid rule infraction to turn into an ESPN segment. But there is another side of this issue that many people are not focusing on as much as I am. This rule is intended to separate the injured players from the active players. It is an insidious rule made to make the injured players not feel part of the team. The danger with this type of separating rule is that it creates an environment where injured players feel pressure to get back on the field before they actually feel ready. With many injuries such as concussions and sore joints it is difficult to determine the health status of the player. The person who knows how he really feels, regardless how it looks, is the player. 

Bingo!

In a game they are playing for free or of course getting some BS worthless degree from school gratis.

Then... Will guilt him onto field and blow millions.

Thanks, have a nice life the school will say.

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

So a spectator observes a player in a pregame workout and sees a player moving around. The spectator declares him to be healthy because to his naked eye from the bleacher seats he looks like he is healthy. The spectator knows nothing about his actual condition but based on his opinion the player is faking his injury. In essence that is the basis of your opinion. It makes no sense. 

10 hours ago, joesixpack said:

It’s within the coach’s right to do that even if it’s petty.

It's also within Oliver's right to whine about it and take exception to it, even if it's petty.

Now if he actually hurt someone or physically harmed his coach, that's a different story. But yelling at him & throwing a fit isn't a crime.

27 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I certainly agree that you have a relevant concern. Typically for a rule to be productive it needs to have a purpose. I’d suspect that if totally honest there’s some of that which would never be spoken aloud, but also likely some stuff they could lean on to justify it without admitting to being meatheads that have personal interests that you outline.

that said Oliver had an absolute meltdown over very little. At some level a 20 year old shouldn’t need to be physically restrained in this situation.

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, JohnC said:

So a spectator observes a player in a pregame workout and sees a player moving around. The spectator declares him to be healthy because to his naked eye from the bleacher seats he looks like he is healthy. The spectator knows nothing about his actual condition but based on his opinion the player is faking his injury. In essence that is the basis of your opinion. It makes no sense. 

Again, Oliver, if nursing a knee injury- should know better. I’m not losing my mind over it or anything but it’s another red flag that you have to research regarding maturity and common sense.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Do you blame him... He's not making bank.  Why should he play and threaten that knee worse than some non-contact reps out there?

Maybe he was only cleared for non-contact.

No I don't blame him for that but I why stay on the team, just to focus on the NFL .

15 minutes ago, JohnC said:

no I (and anybody watching warmups ) saw him running and making cuts. Not hard to figure out.I

8 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Again, Oliver, if nursing a knee injury- should know better. I’m not losing my mind over it or anything but it’s another red flag that you have to research regarding maturity and common sense.

Whether there was s an incident or not the top end prospects are going to receive intense scrutiny. When one makes a major investment $$$$$ one does their due diligence. 

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

seriously  ??

many think we will go defense with our first pick, so it is not moot.

this draft has tons of high level defenders so unless we are in the right spot to one of the few offenders ,don't be surprised if there is a defensive pick.

If they draft a defensive player with a high first rounder, I want this bonehead staff fired. Clearly they are ill prepared to follow the obvious trend in the NFL that OFFENSE wins you games a lot more than defense.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

Just now, EasternOHBillsFan said:

If they draft a defensive player with a high first rounder, I want this bonehead staff fired. Clearly they are ill prepared to follow the obvious trend in the NFL that OFFENSE wins you games a lot more than defense.

The higher end prospects in the draft are on defense.  If they stay in the top ten it's likely to be defense.

• Like (+1) 1

It’s SO easy, and probably natural, to have an opinion based upon what we’ve seen and know. I won’t judge player or coach with such little knowledge about the background.

Did he really enforce this rule already with other players? Was that the first time he mentioned it to him? Has the player been a disruption? Is it common knowledge that he’s fine and sitting is just a joke? Was he being a dunce because he should not be hopping around on a compromised knee? A hundred other questions build the full scenario to explain what happened. 

We don't know what fueled it, but it was certainly a bad look for all involved. You’d hope the adult coach would handle it better, and you’d hope a guy you might be handing millions of dollars would handle it better. A classic lose/lose situation. 

7 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I knew you would be here to dispense your great wisdom , just can't help yourself from saying stupidity. :thumbsup:

I find that people calling me stupid on this board... for the most part means I'm right. Especially when they're dumb enough to label themselves a barbarian.

Usually when someone just calls you stupid and does nothing to refute the point, you know you've out classed them.

9 hours ago, CLTbills said:

No, I'm going down the common sense route. If I only need 90, why would I bring 100?

So... they have 90 starters? Your point makes no sense.

And if it's what you're saying, only for active players in pads. Why did other guys have a coat too? This isnt an issue of economics. They had more than enough jackets, you're being far too kind to Mayjah in my opinion with this view.

12 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Not sure I agree that it’s the coaches fault but that is the way things are today.  There was a time when a coach would not try to be so understanding after a player erupts at him on the sideline.  Dumb rule or not. 

Oh well.  

Where are you going with this? Please continue. I know it gets better.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

30 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I find that people calling me stupid on this board... for the most part means I'm right. Especially when they're dumb enough to label themselves a barbarian.

Usually when someone just calls you stupid and does nothing to refute the point, you know you've out classed them.

So... they have 90 starters? Your point makes no sense.

And if it's what you're saying, only for active players in pads. Why did other guys have a coat too? This isnt an issue of economics. They had more than enough jackets, you're being far too kind to Mayjah in my opinion with this view.

Where are you going with this? Please continue. I know it gets better.

No, it just shows your ignorance.

15 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

I think Ed Oliver is one of the most likely Bills draft candidates if we draft top 10. He fits a natural need as Kyle Williams replacement. 

The coach is the one at fault, not helped by that interview, its a stupid rule and I can see why a player would react

It maybe be a stupid rule but it doesn’t justify the way he reacted , 

thats the problem with today’s society , if you don’t agree with the rules that should give you the right to behave like an animal ??

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

He also isn't obligated to play even when healthy and risk millions of dollars.

That poster is simple. He has no clue what he is talking about. He could be the 53rd man on the roster and the school could revoke his scholarship for no reason since it is athletics. He owes Houston nothing. 

36 minutes ago, Putin said:

It maybe be a stupid rule but it doesn’t justify the way he reacted , 

thats the problem with today’s society , if you don’t agree with the rules that should give you the right to behave like an animal ??

You should probably use a better choice of words. It doesn't matter on here, but I'd hope in real life you wouldn't see that and say Oliver is behaving like an animal. 

He did nothing of the sort. Maybe if we had some black moderators or some moderators who got this stuff, the underhanded racist ***** would stop. But no, we have moderators who get all riled up over people complaining about a female announcer because they have a daughter.

Which I think they're right too. I just think a lot of other ***** goes on in this fanbase that I'm just not a fan of.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

8 hours ago, JohnC said:

HC sees what everyone else saw.  He has to stand there as this whole charade goes on and Oliver keeps himself fresh for the draft while the rest of the team goes out there and grinds it out. 

So he says, in essence....put down the coat.  The coat is for players.

This isn't very mysterious.

2 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

He also isn't obligated to play even when healthy and risk millions of dollars.

That poster is simple. He has no clue what he is talking about. He could be the 53rd man on the roster and the school could revoke his scholarship for no reason since it is athletics. He owes Houston nothing. 

You should probably use a better choice of words. It doesn't matter on here, but I'd hope in real life you wouldn't see that and say Oliver is behaving like an animal. 

He did nothing of the sort. Maybe if we had some black moderators or some moderators who got this stuff, the underhanded racist ***** would stop. But no, we have moderators who get all riled up over people complaining about a female announcer because they have a daughter.

Which I think they're right too. I just think a lot of other ***** goes on in this fanbase that I'm just not a fan of.

It took few players/coaches restraining him from going after the coach , and why do you have to inject racism ? I was just giving my opinion on the way that he behaved him self in front of the whole country watching , 

I thought I was just talking FOOTBALL with a bunch of MAN , ( guess I was wrong) 

Edited by Putin

9 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You showed him, Ol Dirty Bastard.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall