Ed Oliver won't be a Buffalo Bill

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

HC sees what everyone else saw.  He has to stand there as this whole charade goes on and Oliver keeps himself fresh for the draft while the rest of the team goes out there and grinds it out. 

So he says, in essence....put down the coat.  The coat is for players.

This isn't very mysterious.

Stupid rules for small-minded autocrat. Having a rule for coats is moronic. If he had something to say to the player he could have addressed the issue in private in the locker room. As you stated the coats are for players. He is a member of the team who is hurt. How hurt? I can't say for sure and neither can you. 

I agree with you this issue isn't very mysterious. An assses is an assse especially when acting in public.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Stupid rules for small-minded autocrat. Having a rule for coats is moronic. If he had something to say to the player he could have addressed the issue in private in the locker room. As you stated the coats are for players. He is a member of the team who is hurt. How hurt? I can't say for sure and neither can you. 

I agree with you this issue isn't very mysterious. An assses is an assse especially when acting in public.

I agree a young HC should have been more discrete than yanking off the coat.  But this meathead's over the top "hold me back! hold me back!!" response tells you what this kid is about.  He showed everyone he's not seriously injured with all of that in your face jumping around, catching passes before the game.  Then he heads to the sidelines to protect his future net worth.  He should just man up and either play with his teammates (almost none of whom will be joining him in the NFL) or he should end the charade and tell the coach he's leaving the team to focus on getting ready for the draft.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

I agree a young HC should have been more discrete than yanking off the coat.  But this meathead's over the top "hold me back! hold me back!!" response tells you what this kid is about.  He showed everyone he's not seriously injured with all of that in your face jumping around, catching passes before the game.  Then he heads to the sidelines to protect his future net worth.  He should just man up and either play with his teammates (almost none of whom will be joining him in the NFL) or he should end the charade and tell the coach he's leaving the team to focus on getting ready for the draft.

Thank you for that !!

Well said ? !!!

• Like (+1) 1

We seem pretty solid at DT anyway... Sure Kyle is retiring soon but we have 4 good ones right. Now. Could easily plus either of the Philips into a starting position and draft a guy for depth. Our draft picks have to revolve around offense. I mean we have the best defense in league despite all the turnovers and opposing teams getting the ball in good field position from 3 and outs

Edited by Kmart128

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

You are making the assumption that his knee isn't sore and not completely healed. This is not a made up injury. He was hurt in a game. 

Should the player be concerned of his future earning power at the next level?  Unless he is an unmitigated moron of course he should consider it if he is placing his future in the pros in jeopardy. He and the two bit dictator coach certainly know that the player is considered a top of the draft prospect with life altering earning implications. 

As I stated in a prior post there is an overriding issue that goes beyond this particular incident. It deals with the issue of ostracizing injured players with rules that are deliberately created to separate injured players from the rest of the team. That purpose is to put pressure on an injured player to return to the active lineup sooner than that player might actually feel is appropriate. This is a pernicious and mean-spirit rule that is fraught with danger, especially with concussion type injuries where only the injured party knows how he actually feels. 

My recommendation for this player is to quit the program and get away from this fool coach who is more concerned with his interest at the expense of the player's interest. On that point I can agree with you. 

34 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You are making the assumption that his knee isn't sore and not completely healed. This is not a made up injury. He was hurt in a game. 

Should the player be concerned of his future earning power at the next level?  Unless he is an unmitigated moron of course he should consider it if he is placing his future in the pros in jeopardy. He and the two bit dictator coach certainly know that the player is considered a top of the draft prospect with life altering earning implications. 

As I stated in a prior post there is an overriding issue that goes beyond this particular incident. It deals with the issue of ostracizing injured players with rules that are deliberately created to separate injured players from the rest of the team. That purpose is to put pressure on an injured player to return to the active lineup sooner than that player might actually feel is appropriate. This is a pernicious and mean-spirit rule that is fraught with danger, especially with concussion type injuries where only the injured party knows how he actually feels. 

My recommendation for this player is to quit the program and get away from this fool coach who is more concerned with his interest at the expense of the player's interest. On that point I can agree with you. 

Nowhere did I say he was never injured.  That's clearly not the point here.  It's whether he can't play now.  Only he can decide whether he is ok to play.  If he says he's not, there's no team doctor that will say he can.  It's completely subjective exam at this point.

Yes, he should quit.  Then he doesn't have to embarrass himself with this nonsense anymore.  He can watch his teammates play hard from his agent's office.

I bet if Saban or Sweeney was his coach, he would not have acted like such a fool when they took the coat off him---in fact, I bet he would not have even put it on, knowing he's not supposed to.  He figured the rule doesn't apply to the best player on the team and he doesn't respect his young HC.

• Like (+1) 1

If I read this right, Oliver is “faking” his injury to not ruin his draft status and get hurt in a meaningless game(s).  What happens when his contract is up, the season is lost, or things arnt going right for him?  Will he pull this crap then?  I dont know if its true or not but according to the report and the comments by some here thats how I see it. 

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Nowhere did I say he was never injured.  That's clearly not the point here.  It's whether he can't play now.  Only he can decide whether he is ok to play.  If he says he's not, there's no team doctor that will say he can.  It's completely subjective exam at this point.

Yes, he should quit.  Then he doesn't have to embarrass himself with this nonsense anymore.  He can watch his teammates play hard from his agent's office.

I bet if Saban or Sweeney was his coach, he would not have acted like such a fool when they took the coat off him---in fact, I bet he would not have even put it on, knowing he's not supposed to.  He figured the rule doesn't apply to the best player on the team and he doesn't respect his young HC.

That's the point! The player decides whether he is healthy enough or not to play. You are assuming that he is faking it. I am not. If the exam is subjective then it is subjective. The player makes the determination to play. How else are you going to do it from a medical decision? The player felt that he couldn't play and the fraudulent soldier coach felt otherwise. So he made a public spectacle because he wanted to embarrass the player.

I don't care if Saban or Sweeney or Vince Lombardi or Belichick or Parcells or Harbaugh or Urban Meyer had a no coat rule for injured players. It is a stupid and pernicious rule made to ostracize injured players in order to pressure them to return to action. That's wrong!

The coach came off looking like a fool because he is a fool. 

Edited by JohnC

38 minutes ago, JohnC said:

That's the point! The player decides whether he is healthy enough or not to play. You are assuming that he is faking it. I am not. If the exam is subjective then it is subjective. The player makes the determination to play. How else are you going to do it from a medical decision? The player felt that he couldn't play and the fraudulent soldier coach felt otherwise. So he made a public spectacle because he wanted to embarrass the player.

I don't care if Saban or Sweeney or Vince Lombardi or Belichick or Parcells or Harbaugh or Urban Meyer had a no coat rule for injured players. It is a stupid and pernicious rule made to ostracize injured players in order to pressure them to return to action. That's wrong!

It's a simple rule that the player understood and decided to break as he took another day off pretending to still be a team mate to the other guys out there.  The coach had enough of that.  No big deal.. If this kid was a man, he would have left by now, instead of acting like a tool  (go back and watch that video of his off the wall reaction).

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's a simple rule that the player understood and decided to break as he took another day off pretending to still be a team mate to the other guys out there.  The coach had enough of that.  No big deal.. If this kid was a man, he would have left by now, instead of acting like a tool  (go back and watch that video of his off the wall reaction).

We are not going to agree on this issue. I would recommend to the player to leave the program and protect himself from this stupid coach. Not allowing players to wear jackets or whatever clothing to separate /ostracize them from the active players is a dumb and pernicious rule. 

On the one hand you agree that the player should make the final determination as to whether he should play or not. Then when he makes a determination you disagree with you then say he is not being honest with his assessment about his condition to play.  

On 11/17/2018 at 4:47 AM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Throws a tantrum at his coach when he has to follow the rules like his teammates.

Spoiled princesses don't fit the Process

Totally disagree with this take. The tantrum and the actions are not the issue why they would not choose Oliver.  They have picked up several guys that have conflicts like that including Phillips just a couple of weeks ago.

McDermott is not afraid to teach and coach a player like that - he has stated many times they are looking for passionate players with talent and he falls into that category.

What I think would keep him from being high on the Bills board would be if the staff and trainers in talking with the Houston staff and trainers decide his injury should not have kept him out of the line-up, but he was only thinking of himself.  The Bills staff want guys that are passionate and want to play not for themselves, but for their teammates and the love of the game.  They are building a family and team environment and have steadily gotten rid of me first type players (Dareus/Watkins).  

22 hours ago, JohnC said:

Whether it is a stupid rule or not - it is a rule.  The fact that he and several others wore the jackets, but when told they were not supposed to all of the other players removed them - that tells me the team did try to address it quietly.  

Everyone else seemed to be to be ok with it - when the star player did not listen to others - it fell to the head coach to handle it.  The fact that it had to go to the head coach level is part of the issue.  

I do not know how many of these special jackets they have - I do not know why they made up the specific rule, but it is a rule and their are reasons beyond what we can see why they make them.  Belichick does not allow big celebrations- he had to talk with Gronk about that and Gronk acknowledged being disciplined for his actions - that seems stupid for the NFL, but that is their rule.

We have all kinds of rules in society that have been in place because of reasons that are long outdated and it takes discussion to change these rules - both sides dig in if you have open conflict - even if it seems stupid.  The coach needed to do a better job, but Oliver needed to respect the rules when asked originally to remove it and if he wanted to wear it - have the discussion with the coach.

This smacks of other issues on the team with underlying disagreements between the coach and player that a small incident becomes this blown up.

Edited by Rochesterfan

On 11/17/2018 at 8:16 AM, DCOrange said:

That would just lead me to question why they can't afford a few more jackets lol. These programs are making boatloads of money every year and they supply players with all sorts of other types of apparel; seems weird that they'd skimp out on just one item.

I didn't say anything about them being able to afford more. 

By the way, I think you answered your own question....

On 11/17/2018 at 8:16 AM, DCOrange said:

That would just lead me to question why they can't afford a few more jackets lol. These programs are making boatloads of money every year and they supply players with all sorts of other types of apparel; seems weird that they'd skimp out on just one item.

Not sure where this comes from - most NCAA football programs not at the very top (power 5 conference) make almost no money after costs are associated with everything.  There was a nice article from 2017 in the Houston Business Journal about all of the Texas colleges and what their revenue and associated costs were.  Colleges like Houston essentially break even or lose money on football due to the associated costs.  

There were like 4 or 5 Texas colleges that were profitable (mostly UT, Texas A&M, TCU, Texas Tech, and Baylor).  

The difference between the top programs and these mid level schools is huge. 

Additionally being in Houston - how often do they need these jackets.  My guess is less than 1 time a year - so they probably do not have a bunch of the Jackets because they do not need them.

13 hours ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

If I read this right, Oliver is “faking” his injury to not ruin his draft status and get hurt in a meaningless game(s).  What happens when his contract is up, the season is lost, or things arnt going right for him?  Will he pull this crap then?  I dont know if its true or not but according to the report and the comments by some here thats how I see it. 

College players that are surefire first rounders sit out all of the time. Nick Bosa left school earlier this year to prepare for the draft instead of rehabbing his injury to get back. Christian McCaffrey and Leonard Fournette did the exact same thing. That isn’t rare at all.

2 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Not sure where this comes from - most NCAA football programs not at the very top (power 5 conference) make almost no money after costs are associated with everything.  There was a nice article from 2017 in the Houston Business Journal about all of the Texas colleges and what their revenue and associated costs were.  Colleges like Houston essentially break even or lose money on football due to the associated costs.  

There were like 4 or 5 Texas colleges that were profitable (mostly UT, Texas A&M, TCU, Texas Tech, and Baylor).  

The difference between the top programs and these mid level schools is huge. 

Additionally being in Houston - how often do they need these jackets.  My guess is less than 1 time a year - so they probably do not have a bunch of the Jackets because they do not need them.

I imagine this is probably similar to the NBA, where basically no NBA team outside of the Lakers is "profitable" but if they ever wanted to be, all of them could be. Certainly college programs could scrub their budgets to find a couple more hundred dollars to get a few more jackets.

Edited by DCOrange

12 hours ago, JohnC said:

Maybe the player isn't so bright either to run, jump, and catch passes before his teammates go out and put themselves at risk.

Whether or not you happen to like it, the team has rules that this kid placed himself above.

If I had millions waiting for me would I want to play? I can't speculate in all honesty having never been faced with circumstances like these. That doesn't mean that this kid is not a pampered, spoiled twit.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, JohnC said:

We are not going to agree on this issue. I would recommend to the player to leave the program and protect himself from this stupid coach. Not allowing players to wear jackets or whatever clothing to separate /ostracize them from the active players is a dumb and pernicious rule. 

On the one hand you agree that the player should make the final determination as to whether he should play or not. Then when he makes a determination you disagree with you then say he is not being honest with his assessment about his condition to play.  

Yes.

If an injured player says "Coach, I'm not ready to go on Saturday", no one will say he is ready to go.  But when he then makes sure everyone on the sidelines, in the stands, and on TV sees him frolicking on the filed before the game running around catching passes...it is clear what's going on. 

His "stupid coach" is no threat requiring "protection".  His coach is recognizing the disrespect this kid is showing the team by pretending he's not just passing the days until the draft while everyone else is working hard to finish the season and win games.  That's what set the coach off.  Did he have to rip the coat off?  Maybe not.  But he had to show that Oliver's charade is disrespectful.

He should be released from the team and he should have his scholarship terminated after this Fall term.    Then he can leave school early and work on his combine numbers.  Everyone wins.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I imagine this is probably similar to the NBA, where basically no NBA team outside of the Lakers is "profitable" but if they ever wanted to be, all of them could be. Certainly college programs could scrub their budgets to find a couple more hundred dollars to get a few more jackets.

Who told you NBA teams don’t make $?  They make money hand over fist and the Lakers aren’t even the most profitable.  Only one team lost $ last year.

I hope if the Bills have the chance to draft him they pass, because who needs elite level players.

We need guys that are going to fall in line and go to church every weekend.

We need more guys like Nate Peterman on this team. 

In fact I hope McDermott run up to the podium and says with the X pick in the draft the buffalo bills select Ed.... just kidding we don't want that attitude."

That'll really show him.

31 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

College players that are surefire first rounders sit out all of the time. Nick Bosa left school earlier this year to prepare for the draft instead of rehabbing his injury to get back. Christian McCaffrey and Leonard Fournette did the exact same thing. That isn’t rare at all.

I dont get it,

people are fine with Leveon bell sittign out the year to "get his money"

but this guy aint in the NFL yet and needs to earn it. Puts his body on the line every week.

Projected first pick. If im him, i sit out too. No need for me to risk injury. The school wont do anything for him if he is injured.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, mannc said:

Who told you NBA teams don’t make $?  They make money hand over fist and the Lakers aren’t even the most profitable.  Only one team lost $ last year.

The year before roughly half the NBA teams "lost money" simply because they purposefully spend money elsewhere so that they can claim they're losing money.

On 11/17/2018 at 6:03 AM, DCOrange said:

Seems like a bad look for both guys. Obviously Oliver wayyy overreacted here but it also seems like a dumb rule that only active players are allowed to stay warm lol.

He is inactive. He can wear an extra sweatshirt or his own jacket. He doesn't need the jacket that is provided to the players that are actually playing. Stupid on him for not wearing warmer clothing. 

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yes.

If an injured player says "Coach, I'm not ready to go on Saturday", no one will say he is ready to go.  But when he then makes sure everyone on the sidelines, in the stands, and on TV sees him frolicking on the filed before the game running around catching passes...it is clear what's going on. 

His "stupid coach" is no threat requiring "protection".  His coach is recognizing the disrespect this kid is showing the team by pretending he's not just passing the days until the draft while everyone else is working hard to finish the season and win games.  That's what set the coach off.  Did he have to rip the coat off?  Maybe not.  But he had to show that Oliver's charade is disrespectful.

He should be released from the team and he should have his scholarship terminated after this Fall term.    Then he can leave school early and work on his combine numbers.  Everyone wins.

We disagree on what the important issues are in this case. Both of us are belaboring the same points. 

The one point that you and many others are missing is that the no jacket rule for injured players is a pernicious rule that ostracizes injured players from the active players. Its purpose is to  create an environment where an injured player feels pressure to get back on the field when he doesn't feel ready. Mike Leach, the current coach at Washington State, was forced out of Texas Tech because of his ostracizing policies toward injured players. That is a reckless and dangerous approach.It certainly is not in the interest and well-being of the players he is supposed to be responsible for. 

I do agree with you that it would be wise for Oliver to leave the program and get away from this fraudulent tough guy coach for the sake of his future. Playing for a fool can be jeopardizing to one's health and career. 

On 11/17/2018 at 7:03 AM, DCOrange said:

Seems like a bad look for both guys. Obviously Oliver wayyy overreacted here but it also seems like a dumb rule that only active players are allowed to stay warm lol.

Players not playing can wear their own coats. 

49 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Maybe the player isn't so bright either to run, jump, and catch passes before his teammates go out and put themselves at risk.

Whether or not you happen to like it, the team has rules that this kid placed himself above.

If I had millions waiting for me would I want to play? I can't speculate in all honesty having never been faced with circumstances like these. That doesn't mean that this kid is not a pampered, spoiled twit.

Do you know from your perch what his actual physical status is? You are making an assumption that because he appears to be moving around well prior to the game that his injured knee (he did suffer a knee injury in the Navy game) is still not sore and should not be exposed to full game contact. 

As I said to WEO and others the no jacket rule is a pernicious rule ostracizing injured players from the active roster. That is the issue that I find most problematic in this story. The rule is to create an environment where the injured player might come back sooner than he should because he feels that he is not part of the team while in his injured status. That's a dangerous environment that is fraught with risk to the well-being of a side-lined player. That pressure to play. especially for a concussion injury, where the player even more than the medical staff knows exactly how he feels. That's the core issue that has me bothered the most here. 

This tough guy coach could have dealt with this issue in the privacy of the locker-room. Instead he made a public spectacle by jerking the jacket off of the player. He's the coach and he is the adult. He created the scene because of the way he handled his stupid rule. 

15 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Do you know from your perch what his actual physical status is? You are making an assumption that because he appears to be moving around well prior to the game that his injured knee (he did suffer a knee injury in the Navy game) is still not sore and should not be exposed to full game contact. 

No, from my perch I have no idea what his injury status is, and I would like to know where I indicated as such.

I think that I was totally clear. I cited the fact that he was running, jumping, and catching passes. Does this mean that he isn't injured? No. Was this (imo) ill advised? Yes, absolutely.

Again, there are rules. Judging from your few political posts I suspect that you might be more sympathetic to anarchy than I happen to be. Maybe if the kid was not putting on a pass catching clinic while out there injured, the coach who you seem to just hate might have overlooked the rule.

Edited by Bill from NYC

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Whether it is a stupid rule or not - it is a rule.  The fact that he and several others wore the jackets, but when told they were not supposed to all of the other players removed them - that tells me the team did try to address it quietly.  

Everyone else seemed to be to be ok with it - when the star player did not listen to others - it fell to the head coach to handle it.  The fact that it had to go to the head coach level is part of the issue.  

I do not know how many of these special jackets they have - I do not know why they made up the specific rule, but it is a rule and their are reasons beyond what we can see why they make them.  Belichick does not allow big celebrations- he had to talk with Gronk about that and Gronk acknowledged being disciplined for his actions - that seems stupid for the NFL, but that is their rule.

We have all kinds of rules in society that have been in place because of reasons that are long outdated and it takes discussion to change these rules - both sides dig in if you have open conflict - even if it seems stupid.  The coach needed to do a better job, but Oliver needed to respect the rules when asked originally to remove it and if he wanted to wear it - have the discussion with the coach.

This smacks of other issues on the team with underlying disagreements between the coach and player that a small incident becomes this blown up.

There are more than enough jackets for the players. And if there aren't then go get them to adequately supply the team. There is a purpose for the no jacket rule for injured players. It separates them from the active players. That's what I find so offensive about the rule. It creates a climate where the injured players feels pressure to get on the field before one feels ready. It is a pernicious rule that can result in player coming back too soon and risking a more serious injury. Especially with a concussion injury where a player looks healthy to others but still doesn't feel right this exerted pressure to get back on the field is not a healthy and safe environment for the players. 

1 minute ago, Bill from NYC said:

No, from my perch I have no idea what his injury status is, and I would like to know where I indicated as such.

I think that I was totally clear. I cited the fact that he was running, jumping, and catching passes. Does this men that he isn't injured? No. Was this (imo) ill advised? Yes, absolutely.

Again, there are rules. Judging from your few political posts I suspect that you might be more sympathetic to anarchy than I happen to be. Maybe if the kid was not putting on a pass catching clinic while out there injured, the coach who you seem to just hate might have overlooked the rule.

My political posts have nothing to do with my response. That response makes no sense and has no relevancy to the topic. Saying I am being sympathetic to anarchy is simply a stupid reactionary response. 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

There are more than enough jackets for the players. And if there aren't then go get them to adequately supply the team. There is a purpose for the no jacket rule for injured players. It separates them from the active players. That's what I find so offensive about the rule. It creates a climate where the injured players feels pressure to get on the field before one feels ready. It is a pernicious rule that can result in player coming back too soon and risking a more serious injury. Especially with a concussion injury where a player looks healthy to others but still doesn't feel right this exerted pressure to get back on the field is not a healthy and safe environment for the players. 

We get it; you don't like the rule. That said, the rule exists.

Do you live your life judging every rule and/or law, and then deciding whether or not you will break it? That is up to you. I don't like the NYS Tax system but if I cheat or break the rules, I would certainly suffer consequences. So, the future multi-millionaire couldn't wear a jacket? C'mon, lets all hit the crying rooms! You have any mood coloring books? ;)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, JohnC said:

We disagree on what the important issues are in this case. Both of us are belaboring the same points. 

The one point that you and many others are missing is that the no jacket rule for injured players is a pernicious rule that ostracizes injured players from the active players. Its purpose is to  create an environment where an injured player feels pressure to get back on the field when he doesn't feel ready. Mike Leach, the current coach at Washington State, was forced out of Texas Tech because of his ostracizing policies toward injured players. That is a reckless and dangerous approach.It certainly is not in the interest and well-being of the players he is supposed to be responsible for. 

I do agree with you that it would be wise for Oliver to leave the program and get away from this fraudulent tough guy coach for the sake of his future. Playing for a fool can be jeopardizing to one's health and career. 

You can repeat this as many times as you want, but it still isn't true.  Clearly, Oliver, as an injured player, feels anything but "ostracized".. Quite the opposite--he feels he can do whatever he wants.

Look, this is simple--these are big sideline coats fitting over a padded player to keep him warm the sideline.  You know this.  It's a piece of equipment.  Oliver can stay warm by coating himself in as many  layers of team logo'd gear that he wants in order to stay warm.  He put that coat on for one reason---and it's the same reason he decided to show off how fit he was on game day by playing around on the field.  It was to demonstrate that "I'm a top 2 draft pick so F all y'all".

Your portrayal of him as some "ostracized" injured lamb being bullied by his HC, from whom he needs "protection".....is really laughable.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You can repeat this as many times as you want, but it still isn't true.  Clearly, Oliver, as an injured player, feels anything but "ostracized".. Quite the opposite--he feels he can do whatever he wants.

Look, this is simple--these are big sideline coats fitting over a padded player to keep him warm the sideline.  You know this.  It's a piece of equipment.  Oliver can stay warm by coating himself in as many  layers of team logo'd gear that he wants in order to stay warm.  He put that coat on for one reason---and it's the same reason he decided to show off how fit he was on game day by playing around on the field.  It was to demonstrate that "I'm a top 2 draft pick so F all y'all".

Your portrayal of him as some "ostracized" injured lamb being bullied by his HC, from whom he needs "protection".....is really laughable.

When I was discussing the rule I was discussing it beyond the individual player and the purpose behind it. Apparently you didn't understand the point that I was making. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Star players get preferential treatment. It has always been that way, it will always be that way.

1 minute ago, CountDorkula said:

Star players get preferential treatment. It has always been that way, it will always be that way.

that's not what this is about though.

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

When I was discussing the rule I was discussing it beyond the individual player and the purpose behind it. Apparently you didn't understand the point that I was making. 

I understood what you were saying.  Reserving game day equipment for players playing on game day isn't ostracizing. 

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

that's not what this is about though.

It really is. Oliver has been able to do whatever he want's because he is the teams best player and everybody knows is so he gets more slack than others.

If a 3rd string CB didn't give up his jacket, I guarantee you this story doesn't even exist.

Oliver is the #1 pick in next years draft. He is followed closely. He has one bad moment and people act like he is the worst person ever.

Just now, CountDorkula said:

It really is. Oliver has been able to do whatever he want's because he is the teams best player and everybody knows is so he gets more slack than others.

If a 3rd string CB didn't give up his jacket, I guarantee you this story doesn't even exist.

Oliver is the #1 pick in next years draft. He is followed closely. He has one bad moment and people act like he is the worst person ever.

He was showing up his coach (and team) before the game and then when he put on the coat, when he knew the rule was not to.  The coach took exception to that.  That's all.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He was showing up his coach (and team) before the game and then when he put on the coat, when he knew the rule was not to.  The coach took exception to that.  That's all.

Or he was just out there having a good time knowing his college days are over.

I in fact hope the Bills draft him now just to watch this board melt over something as stupid as this.

1 minute ago, CountDorkula said:

I in fact hope the Bills draft him now just to watch this board melt over something as stupid as this.

For me, the real issue is that Oliver has not played that well this year, against mediocre competition.  He just looks like an over-hyped prospect.  I would not spend a top-ten pick on him, much less a top-two.

2 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

You want this more than blockers and receivers? I don't believe you. :)