Start Josh Allen (healthy) or Matt Barkley?

TonyBeets

Who do you start?  

288 members have voted

1. 1. Do you start Barkley or Allen?

• Barkley
    • Allen

3 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

No matter what, Peterman should be gone tomorrow morning.  Trade him for a bag of ice or something of equal value.

This is probably something most of us can agree on.  At this point the guy is a distraction.  It's bad enough that he stole the majority of first team reps over the summer. 

2 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Put me on record stating that starting Allen next week is a colossal mistake.  Especially if he stinks it up.

Trial by fire isn't the best thing for such a raw talent like Allen, IMO.  He has a lot to work on and now has 2 vet QBs to guide him. 

What's the rush?

It's 2 weeks which gives the Bills a chance to come up with an imaginative offensive game plan and fully integrate Allen into it.  One of the pleasant surprises for me today was how clever the Bills were on offense. 

And yes in a perfect world Allen would sit and learn and everyone would have the patience to let this raw talent develop.  But this is far from a perfect world.  I mean it seems like at least one quarter of the Bills fan base is ready to declare Allen a bust.  Whether we like it or not the clock is ticking and I think that at this point he learns more on the field then on the sideline.

There's also the fact that Allen has gotten a taste of playing.  Sure it was more bad then good but when you hear the guy talk he is chomping at the bit to get back out there.  I think that the risk of McDermott not playing him at this point outweighs the risk of playing him.  Again Allen was thrown to the wolves and he sort of survived it.  Now is not the time to get queasy about him getting back into the fray.

But you make a good point.  Allen is a rookie and if he gets put back in as the starter he's going to have a couple of bad games in the last 6.  And his first game back could be stinker with the home crowd booing him.  But because of the mistakes made by the Bills with respect to QB in the off season that's the situation we're stuck with.  Maybe the way to look at it that there are two poor options here but one of them is worse then the other. 

46 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

He's done that the last 4 weeks. At some point a QB has to learn by playing and when he was playing it didn't seem to be completely overwhelming him.

He was getting by with his pure athleticism. He wasn't effectively reading the defense or understanding what he was seeing pre-snap.

Mahomes sat and learned for a year. It appears to have helped him. Allen, who is more raw than Mahomes was, would probably benefit from doing the same.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Allen for the next 4 games or so if fully healthy.  The game experience will help him.  Barkley might be a good backup candidate for next year and beyond.  He's just come off an injury and is still learning the offense.  Give Josh some starts and Barkley some weeks to heal a bit more and time to get into better game shape and play Barkley the last couple games to see if they think he's a keeper.  DA can help coach them both up for the rest of the year. 

Barkley, unless he looks like he's costing us games.  Allen is part of the long term plan and learning was the plan from day 1.  If we have a guy that can win us games while Allen learns, then great.  

Allen shouldn't play unless we feel he has to.  If Barkley tears it up like today, isn't that a win win?

Counting today, Barkley (who has been in the league since 2013) has a career 10 TD and 18 INT and just over 2100 yards passing.

His 232 yards today were good for 15th in the league, and his 2 TDs were 13th in the league.

Not bad, but if Barkley's career and performance today keep the 7th overall pick on the bench when you're 3-7 then you might have made a mistake drafting Allen there.

I guess we have to waste a game or two starting Barkley for show... it is what it is.

Either way history has shown how the Barkley story goes. It won't be long, but it's a shame to waste valuable reps. At least there won't be a controversy when Allen comes back in.

Edited by TheFunPolice

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Maybe they dont care if he wins right now but gets the game experience under his belt.

Not saying you're wrong, just saying.

Was Barkley beating a terrible jets team more impressive than Allen vs Minnesota?  No.  Is Barkley a franchise Qb? No.  Why when you are 3-6 would you go with a guy on the team 3 weeks over your first rd draft pick?  Its lunacy to have the discussion.  

• Like (+1) 1

I voted Barkley for 2 reasons. 

1. He threw as many TD passes today as the other 3 combined.  We need at least competent QB play for a while at least to determine if these WRs and Oline guys are any good.  Today the WRs were able to get separation and catch the ball which they hadn't been so good at with the other guys.  Protection seemed a little better.  We need to develop them too.

2. I don't think Allen is ready. If Barkley can put a few more games like this together, it could be a good learning experience for Josh. Would also give him time to work on fundamentals which he dearly needs if he is ever to be good.

When we get to the final few games if we are indeed out, then start Josh the last few games of the year.  When he was in before it didn't look to me like he learned much and was likely developing bad habits with the pass rush etc.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Depends on what you want out of the season...are you trying to win or is your goal to give Allen experience?  There is no right or wrong answer...but your answer should depend on what you want out of this season.

That being said, I couldn’t care less either way...Go Bills!

Considering we're about 90% out of the playoffs I'd start Barkley 1-2 more games to see if today was a fluke or maybe he can be a good long term backup. Then let Josh finish off the last 4 games. Best of both worlds. Treat the rest of this season as auditions for next year. Today answered alot of questions. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think everyone agrees we need to develop Josh Allen to see what we have in him. The issue isn't whether to start him again, it's a matter of when! The original plan was to bring in AJ McCarron and have the kid learn for a year. That plan was dropped when AJ was jettisoned, Peterman fizzled and, in the absence of any other alternative, Allen started. This to rather predictable uneven results (for a rookie most have judged still very raw.) 

Let's say JA is picked to start in two weeks against a tough Jaguars D and plays poorly. The hometown fans will be screaming for "Barkley" given his inaugural success. I don't believe that extra pressure will be good for the kid's development. (And he does need to develop: make quicker reads, stay longer in the pocket; improve his accuracy). Starting Barkley for another game or two, or until the veteran struggles, will benefit the kid in numerous ways. And allow the team, and offensive players in particular, to gain some momentum.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Let’s temper our enthusiasm over Barkley’s performance.  Yes, he played very well but there are reasons this is his 6th team and he was available now. He’s been very inconsistent in his career.  

I think if Allen is healthy, he should play as he’s expected to be the future.

If he’s not 100%, let him sit and see what Barkley can do with more action.

Having Barkley now, I think Anderson can go back to the mentor role.

3 hours ago, iinii said:

Barkley. I have been in the sit Allen camp all year. Allen last week said watching has helped a lot and I believe beating up a rookie is not the key to success especially considering how raw he is. 

Goff and Trubisky would disagree

This board is absolutely nuts.  95 % of you ran TT out of town wanting a new shiny first round QB.  Now you want to stick with a popgun has-been on his 6th team as the QB of the future?  For God's sake. It was the Jets.  And the Jets dropped two interceptions.  

Allen is the future.  He plays when he is healthy.  He is the best QB on the team.  

• Like (+1) 1