Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
gjv001

What has happened to Ryan Lewis?

Recommended Posts

It seemed to me that Ryan Lewis was playing well and solidifying the CB spot across from White. The last I heard he was declared a healthy deactivation from the 53 man roster a couple weeks ago. Does anyone have any credible imformation about Lewis's deactivation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gjv001 said:

It seemed to me that Ryan Lewis was playing well and solidifying the CB spot across from White. The last I heard he was declared a healthy deactivation from the 53 man roster a couple weeks ago. Does anyone have any credible imformation about Lewis's deactivation?

 

He's likely to start this week with the departure of Gaines who was waived yesterday. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McDermott is all over the place with this #2 CB spot.  They go with Gaines all season, then they cut him??   now brought up a guy from the PS to compete as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They signed Dontae Johnson to take a look at him. He was terrible and released. I suppose they were giving Gaines the look since he earned it in the off season and was healthy. Pitts dresses because he is a core special teams guy. I agree, Lewis looked pretty good in action and now we will see him playing again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Lewis was fairly solid and should be on the field more. With Ganes out of the picture, we should see more of him going forward This move could turn out to be an upgrade if he keeps up his play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know what these coaches are looking at when they watch the tape. Gaines doesn't know how to play the football, has slow catch up speed and panics when he is in position to make a play. I am happy Lewis is starting, but I don't want to see him playing five feet of his coverage responsibility. Lewis is physical and a great tackler. Thought he played really well in green bay, then the coaches put him on the bench. Any way coaches now cut 82, 2,10 THEY SUCK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not surprised to see them give Gaines his shot ahead of Lewis, though it didn't work out. Lewis is fine as long as the play is in front of him but he has trouble defending longer game busting routes. He's an athletic freak no doubt but despite his straight line speed, he often loses a step when he turns and for some reason he is slow to recover. I guess the juice in his 40 time is more towards the end than the beginning. Looking forward to seeing what Wallace can do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tough to question too much on the defensive side of the roster this season with the O looking like dog turd, but after Lewis' play vs the Vikings and Packers, I'm not too sure what the coaches were seeing that had them put Gaines in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gaines didn't exactly earn the job in the offseason as we all thought Vontae would pan out at DB2, despite some on here correctly predicting his age making him irrelevant. But when Vontae quit, Gaines was next on the depth chart that had earned his place there, and became a regular replacement that was only really worked into our nickel sets before then.

 

I know people don't ever want to do it, but gotta give credit to McD for letting him go mid-season and start testing out the depth and roster with Lewis and Wallace. I just hope this doesn't mean we get more big nickel instead of seeing more Lewis, Taron, and Wallace...

Edited by ctk232
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

McDermott is all over the place with this #2 CB spot.  They go with Gaines all season, then they cut him??   now brought up a guy from the PS to compete as well. 

....well McClappy is a defensive guru.

tenor.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The coaching staff is using this year to evaluate players.

The Bills are playing 20 pre-season games.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Ever consider doing stand up comedy ?  

I dont want to take your job...Im sure you have mouths to feed

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I dont want to take your job...Im sure you have mouths to feed

....see, that was funny.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Tough to question too much on the defensive side of the roster this season with the O looking like dog turd, but after Lewis' play vs the Vikings and Packers, I'm not too sure what the coaches were seeing that had them put Gaines in.

 

...agreed...rock solid giving up 41 to the Bears and 37 to the Colts...........

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

 

...agreed...rock solid giving up 41 to the Bears and 37 to the Colts...........

Even the good defensive teams are giving up points this year.....

 

The bears are suppose to be great on D...they have given up points

The Jags the same

 

Why do we hold our team to a higher standard then the rest of the league?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

 

...agreed...rock solid giving up 41 to the Bears and 37 to the Colts...........

 

I'll give you the Colts game but subtract 14 of those 41 points from the Bears because they scored two defensive TDs. So, in reality the defense only allowed 27 points, which isn't terrible. There was also another offensive turnover that set the Bears up just outside the red zone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

 

I'll give you the Colts game but subtract 14 of those 41 points from the Bears because they scored two defensive TDs. So, in reality the defense only allowed 27 points, which isn't terrible. There was also another offensive turnover that set the Bears up just outside the red zone.

 

...yet in between and a Patsies' slaughter feared, we gave up 25 to them for whatever reason.....is the thread citing the number of blowout losses fake news or of concern from your perspective?....are the numbers surrendered misleading?......just curious......

16 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Even the good defensive teams are giving up points this year.....

 

The bears are suppose to be great on D...they have given up points

The Jags the same

 

Why do we hold our team to a higher standard then the rest of the league?

...then why did someone start a thread about the number of blowout losses under McDermott?...fake news?.......numbers alone are misleading without a game by game analysis?....BTW, I hate stats as THE only premise to prove one's point or disprove another's......far too manipulative.....comments?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

 

tenor.gif

That picture reminds me of Tampa Bay's old 'orange sherbet' uniforms.

  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Not surprised to see them give Gaines his shot ahead of Lewis, though it didn't work out. Lewis is fine as long as the play is in front of him but he has trouble defending longer game busting routes. He's an athletic freak no doubt but despite his straight line speed, he often loses a step when he turns and for some reason he is slow to recover. I guess the juice in his 40 time is more towards the end than the beginning. Looking forward to seeing what Wallace can do. 

  This is well thought out reasoning which means most of the board will ignore it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

That picture reminds me of Tampa Bay's old 'orange sherbet' uniforms.

lol...

 

also called the Creamsicle uniforms..

Creamsicle-Orange_27431-2.png

creamsicle TB uni.jpg

Edited by cba fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why Ryan Lewis is ready to follow family's NFL footsteps

 

x3skcczpsjnur5tiafou.png

 

It was going to be the biggest game of Ryan Lewis’ young football career. The only thing was he didn’t know it.
 
As a starting cornerback for Pitt, Lewis was still trying to adapt to playing football in reverse having been a high school running back. But his uncle, Pitt alum, and former NFL cornerback, Tim Lewis, was going to make sure his nephew knew full well the meaning of Pitt versus Penn State.
 
“I remember when coach (Jackie) Sherrill recruited me. He had always made it abundantly clear that the only kids that went to Pitt were the kids that Penn State didn’t want or were not good enough for Penn State,” said Tim Lewis. “I kind of hit him below the belt and reminded him of that. Anything to motivate him. I told him to remind his teammates of that too. I don’t know if it worked, but I let him know that Penn State didn’t think he was good enough.”
 
“I was getting taped up in the training room a couple of hours before the game and he called me and said, ‘I know the coaches have probably given you all the information about what this game means to everyone. But I have to let you know everything,” Ryan recalled. “‘They always used to say the dumb kids go to Pitt and the smart kids go to Penn State. Good football players go to Penn State and lesser players go to Pitt.’ It was good stuff. It gave me some juice.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

 

...yet in between and a Patsies' slaughter feared, we gave up 25 to them for whatever reason.....is the thread citing the number of blowout losses fake news or of concern from your perspective?....are the numbers surrendered misleading?......just curious......

 

I don't disagree that the blowout losses are a concern. I knew going into this season that they weren't gonna win much, however I really expected them to be a bit more competitive in these losses. They over estimated their offensive talent (or maybe they knew how bad it was and left it that way anyway, who knows) and they bumbled the QB spot. Should've had a veteran in here as soon as they traded McCarron. I dunno, Peterman must really be an all pro in practice because that's the only way I can see them agreeing that a QB room of just Allen and Peterman was good enough.

 

The numbers in the blowouts do deserve some context. That's basically what I was saying in regards to the Bears game. The Bills offense is responsible for two turnovers that the Bears defense took to the house, that's 14 points that can't be faulted on Buffalo's defense. The offense also had another turnover that set the Bears up deep in Bills territory and they scored. I believe the defense had gotten the Bears off the field without scoring on their previous two possessions. They got the ball back to their offense who gave it right back to the Bears which caused a winded defense to have to go back out there and try to stop them on a super short field and they couldn't. 

 

Against New England, the defense held them to 12 points off four field goals early into the 4th quarter. They did more than enough to give the team a chance but the offense just cannot get moving. Eventually the defense wears down, which it did in this case and led to 13 4th quarter points. But I'm probably not chewing out my defense at practice the next day because if they just got done holding Tom Brady to nothing but field goals for the majority of a game I'd consider that a job well done. And I'd be livid with my offense for not doing their part. 

 

As for the Colts game, they've since admitted that they were trying some different looks and things on defense and clearly it didn't work. I don't know what compelled them to get away from their main style of play but it cost them. And you could see in that game that by the time Indy had scored 20 points, most of the defense looked like they were mailing it in as they knew there was no way their offense would mount a comeback. Is that ok? Eh, probably not if you're a coach. But I'm not a coach so I can see how some players go into self-preservation mode when the game is out of reach. But that stuff stays on film so if those dudes that check out during a game wanna keep playing here or anywhere else then they probably shouldn't put a half-assed effort on tape but again, I can understand it.

 

The blowouts are a problem. They can demoralize a team and get players to start questioning whether or not the leadership is on the right track. The players all know it's a lost season at this point but that's no excuse not to go out there and put in the effort. Because again, it goes on film and some of these guys are playing for jobs so you'd hope that's at least enough motivation to play well.

 

Overall, it's a team game and while these blowouts make the defense look bad, we gotta look at the context and when we do, we see that the offense is not doing the defense any favors whatsoever. Constant three and outs, bad turnovers, poor execution, dumb mistakes, dumb penalties, you name it, they're doing it and a pretty good defense is having to pay for it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×