Josh Allen injury: “Week-to-Week” with elbow sprain; Returned to practice 11/2

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, LFC24 said:

The second Mcdermott/Beane are gone from this franchise the better off we are 

Until then this trainwreck is going to continue. .God i cannot wait until they are fired. 

Time for you to find another team.  They're not going anywhere.  

Why don't you wake up and look at the backup QB in the league and knock off your criticism of management who know a lot more than you do.  

Here are some rosters you can look at & see that around the league there are a lot of bad scenarios waiting to happen if their teams starters go down.  Most of the backups are other teams rejects taken off the scrap heap or guys who have virtually no real game experience:

Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, San Diego, Oakland (AJ was so bad in camp the Bills traded him), Dallas, NY Giants (their 2nd stringer is another Bills reject on his 9th team & their 3rd stringer is a mid round rookie) , Carolina, San Francisco (after JG injury), Seattle .  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, In Nate We Trust said:

Give him the rest he needs. He is the future of the Bills. Have 100 percent confidence Nate Peterman will keep the Bills in the Playoff Hunt. Win vs Indy will get things going. Even think a conservative offense with Peterman making safe passes combined with great D and good special teams gives them a shot against Pats on Monday Night Football.

Yeah let’s pretend none of us saw Sunday’s game

Serious question...if he needs surgery and it requires him to miss this year and next...how can we sit idley by and wait....that pushes his timeleine back another 1.5 years....for a qb that already needed time to develop....if we are sitting with a top 3 pick...i just dont know how you ignore the qb position...what a mess.

17 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

Terrible, but you can't mess with UCL. Next few weeks may determine if Bills need to consider drafting another QB in the early rounds of 2019 draft. 

Not good for JA and the Bills. Please sit him for the rest of the season and get 100% healthy... If his strong arm is compromised I dont know what kind of  QB he can be. 

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

It is unlikely he will need surgery. They are taking every possible precaution by sending the MRI to Dr. Andrew's but the most likely scenario is he sits for a month. Even if he sits the rest of the season that wouldn't be the worst thing for him.

We absolutely do not know this at this point in time. 

It's too bad for Josh.  He really needed these games for his development.  The stark reality for the team, however, is that the offense can't be any worse with him out.  That's just fact.  The only worse thing wold be Peterman and/or Anderson giving up pick-6's every game.   But for moving the football through the air, and total yardage on O,  it will likely get better.

6 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

We absolutely do not know this at this point in time. 

Yes we do. The team doctors didn't find a tear in the MRI but they are sending it to another doctor to be safe. That's the crux of the this whole thing. If it's just a sprain he'll be out a month.

QBs available this coming offseason:

Derek Carr(trade)

CJ Beathard(trade)

Fitz

Nick Foles

Jacoby Brissett(trade)

Case Keenum

If Allen needs the surgery, I don't think they can go into year 3 trusting a rookie QB to lead a revamped offense, unless they get the 1st pick and take Justin Herbert, which I don't think that would hesitate doing.

So barring getting the 1st overall pick, you are probably looking at Carr, Foles, or Keenum.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Again this was the original report:

"Concern he will miss weeks." I like what pro football doc does but it seems to me is trying to get clicks by putting the worst case scenario on the table.

The interesting thing about the espn report is how late she was, but it’s being treated like huge news. McD said yesterday he was week to week, which is literally “concern he will miss weeks” and almost always that it is at least one week. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

But Marriota was only out two weeks

My understanding, which may be

off, is that mariota had a nerve issue in the area and not a tear or sprain of the ligament

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Two completely different sports. 

The throwing motion of throwing a baseball is more violent than that of throwing a football. Yes a sprain is a slight tear of the ligament. Just depends on what grade.(how severe the tear is)

Id be surprised if he got surgery, but you never know. 

Totally different sports, but if there’s any qb who throws with the violence of an mlb baseball pitcher, it is allen. It is what he brings to table. 

1 minute ago, McBean said:

If he needs surgery then what?

I haven’t been this depressed as a Bills fan in a very long time.

Everytime I think this team has hit rock bottom, they make a new low.

If he needs surgery, this front office will get to select another QB. Something that generally doesn't happen. 

9 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

QBs available this coming offseason:

Derek Carr(trade)

CJ Beathard(trade)

Fitz

Nick Foles

Jacoby Brissett(trade)

Case Keenum

If Allen needs the surgery, I don't think they can go into year 3 trusting a rookie QB to lead a revamped offense, unless they get the 1st pick and take Justin Herbert, which I don't think that would hesitate doing.

So barring getting the 1st overall pick, you are probably looking at Carr, Foles, or Keenum.

Derek Carr is not available for trade. Wtf.

Just now, HansLanda said:

If he needs surgery, this front office will get to select another QB. Something that generally doesn't happen. 

No, they won’t. Even if Allen missed the entire year this year, they would never select another QB.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

David Chao has become a LAMP

I do think he’s engaging in a bit of fear mongering right now ... likes the attention. Technically he’s correct that it’s not impossible he could need surgery, but he has very little info and the herd is following his every word.

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I do think he’s engaging in a bit of fear mongering right now ... likes the attention. Technically he’s correct that it’s not impossible he could need surgery, but he has very little info and the herd is following his every word.

He's usually very accurate though

53 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

Terrible, but you can't mess with UCL. Next few weeks may determine if Bills need to consider drafting another QB in the early rounds of 2019 draft. 

The Bills should draft a QB with every 1st round pick for the next 10 years if that's what it takes to find a reliable starter.    Without a franchise QB you're going nowhere.

2 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

He's usually very accurate though

He is and that’s why I’m posting his stuff here. But if you follow this whole thread, including the reports from the team, you will know what I mean. 

His accuracy coukd also point to it being a 2 week injury. He doesn’t know and is throwing out 2 weeks to 2 years, essentially. All he knows is based on one video - it’s a UCL injury of some sort. That’s it. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yes we do. The team doctors didn't find a tear in the MRI but they are sending it to another doctor to be safe. That's the crux of the this whole thing. If it's just a sprain he'll be out a month.

The type of pain response I saw from Allen in that clip makes me wonder how it could be just a sprain.

16 minutes ago, McBean said:

The trick here is when you look down the hole and see Rock Bottom, take a peak at the Bills organization. If anyone still has a shovel in their hand, you may want to re-evaluate whether its really Rock Bottom or just a False Bottom.

1 minute ago, Mike in Syracuse said:

The type of pain response I saw from Allen in that clip makes me wonder how it could be just a sprain.

Actually, the pain response simply points to a sprain instead of a contusion. 

Theye are different levels of sprain. A grade 2 sprain is indeed a partial tear. It appears the Bills believe it is a grade 1 (I’m reading into the “not serious” report ...indicating they don’t see a tear on the MRI). They are getting an opinion from Andrews to not take any chances. If Andrews sees any kind of possible tear, even partial, he will visit for an in person consultation. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Derek Carr is not available for trade. Wtf.

It's a bit whacked-out as a list.  Case Keenum is signed through 2019, he's not gonna be available. 

Foles contract is ..... complicated, but I think he's made it pretty clear he'd rather retire than play for an OC/HC he doesn't have faith in

6 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

No, they won’t. Even if Allen missed the entire year this year, they would never select another QB.

If Allen missed the entire year this year, you may be right but they should consider it.  If he has Tommy Johns surgery and is out for 2019, they 100% should. 

Thanks to the rookie CBA, it's no longer prohibitive to do so with a young 1st rounder as it was for the Rams with Bradford.

13 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

Carr will be traded this offseason

And the Oakland starting QB will be?

26 minutes ago, McBean said:

Waking up to this has me depressed. Its the ej manuel situation all over again. If he is hurt bad, just clean house. Mcdermott bungled this offense from the very beginning. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Mike in Syracuse said:

Sprains can be very serious injuries. 

People say "just a sprain" thinking the kind of rolled ankle we all put an elastic sleeve over and played through next week in high school, but a sprain can be more severe and harder to heal than a broken bone.

1 minute ago, Rocky Landing said:

I can't believe I'm in the position of hoping that Derek Anderson starts.

Hey now, he DID beat us once by completing 2 passes in an NFL game and forcing our D to hold the Browns to 6 points......and still lose.

Championship!

41 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don't buy this. It's a 15 month recovery time for pitchers, but it's 9-10 months for position players. Didi Gregorius, who we just learned is getting Tommy John surgery, is expected back in 9-10 months, putting him on the field in roughly August. Gregorius throws it harder (he regularly hits low 90s on his throws to first) and more often than Allen. 

17 minutes ago, Mike in Syracuse said:

Exactly. He looked absolutely dejected.

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Bad news I guess?   Since Yolo asked also I'll dish.

I think Allen was injured against Green Bay during one of his multitude of sacks and hits.  I think this is a re-hit to an existing injury, which are often worse.

Why I think that:

While I believe they genuinely wanted to focus on controlling the LOS and getting the run game going, I think the very low numbers of passes vs Tenn and Hou was because they were trying to play Allen through an injury that left him functional, and had him on a "pitch count". 

I think a number of other things point towards an Allen injury after GB:

-The sudden decision to pursue and sign Anderson (why now, and not before? Allen has needed a vet mentor next to him since before Week 1)

-Benjamin's comment about Josh Allen going in earlier than the rest of the team for "his routine" (what takes more time?  pain injections maybe?)

It's just my theory and might be totally whack though

I think this could be right. He was actually pretty darn accurate vs. Minnesota and late vs. SD, but he lost his accuracy in the GB game. The first thing that goes with UCL injuries is accuracy, and he was not accurate vs GB or against TN on deeper throws (and yes, I know he had accuracy issues already).

Bear in mind also that he was a pitcher in HS and was throwing low 90s then. Plus he was lighting up the radar gun all offseason to boost his draft stock. Wear and tear is how these injuries happen.

Edited by dave mcbride

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I don't buy this. It's a 15 month recovery time for pitchers, but it's 9-10 months for position players. Didi Gregorius, who we just learned is getting Tommy John surgery, is expected back in 9-10 months, putting him on the field in roughly August. Gregorius throws it harder (he regularly hits low 90s on his throws to first) and more often than Allen. 

Wouldn't Allen be in between a pitcher & position player?  I don't think Didi throws the ball 30 times in a game and more than 150 times during a week

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's a bit whacked-out as a list.  Case Keenum is signed through 2019, he's not gonna be available. 

Foles contract is ..... complicated, but I think he's made it pretty clear he'd rather retire than play for an OC/HC he doesn't have faith in

If Allen missed the entire year this year, you may be right but they should consider it.  If he has Tommy Johns surgery and is out for 2019, they 100% should. 

Thanks to the rookie CBA, it's no longer prohibitive to do so with a young 1st rounder as it was for the Rams with Bradford.

And the Oakland starting QB will be?

There is a should and a would. Smart teams would draft back to back QBs if they aren’t convinced. They rarely do.

9 minutes ago, GG said:

Isn't LAMP'ing part of his job?  How different are his reports from Schefter's, Rap's, Mort's, etc?

Not exactly. He’s an actual surgeon and former NFL team doctor, and he has very good knowledge of these types of things. He posts what he knows vs what he hears (ie Schefter). But the headlines don’t always match what he’s saying, he has very little info right now,  and he’s LAMPing a bit at moment. 

What he knows based on the video, and he’s pretty darn accurate when he has a video, is that it is a sprain of some level of severity to the UCL. That is all he knows and he’s throwing out every possible scenario. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just now, GG said:

Wouldn't Allen be in between a pitcher & position player?  I don't think Didi throws the ball 30 times in a game and more than 150 times during a week

He throws 3-4 times between innings every inning!  He also averages 375 assists per year not including preseason etc. NFL QBs average around 450 throws per full season. Not much difference, and they don't throw it as hard as an MLB shortstop.

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Not exactly. He’s an actual surgeon and former NFL team doctor, and he has very good knowledge of these types of things. He posts what he knows vs what he hears (ie Schefter). But the headlines don’t always match what he’s saying, he has very little info right now,  and he’s LAMPing a bit at moment. 

And he's also a regular contributor on Sirius/XM NFL channel.   This is what he does when there's an injury to a significant player.  LAMPing is part of his job as a medical analyst to the media.