Toyota Tacoma or Chevy Colorado?

A lot of good responses, especially @dpberr

@teef....you suck.

So to give more info, I'll have a child seat in the back for me 3 year old.  After I sell my house, I'll be living in an apartment roughly 15 months until I buy a new house.

I don't need to haul anything big, it's going to be landscaping stuff like bails of pine straw, stone, mulch etc....

17 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I’m going to buy a new truck...well used.  Not looking for anything older than a 2015.

The 2 that have caught my eye are the Chevy Colorado and the Toyota Tacoma....maybe a Frontier.

What do you guys know about them an/or recommend?  

1) Buy American 

2) which one gets you a better warranty

3) Which one is better aesthetically appealing?  

4) which one comes with a hot chick? 

4 hours ago, teef said:

you strike me as more of a mini cooper kinda guy.  maybe a volt.

Not a Prius guy? 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

3 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

This is great advice...don't skimp on repair costs.

I've had full size GM products my entire adult life and we never had any significant repairs done to them.  We had a GMC Yukon from 2005-2014, put 165k miles on it and when we sold it I think we had put 3 sets of tires on it and replaced $156 dollars worth of AC parts one time.   Best vehicle I ever owned.   

I've had v6 and v8 silverados and both ran like tops well into 160k+ miles.    

I don't have anything bad to say about Toyotas, my wife currently has a Venza but to say that full size GM trucks are problematic isn't accurate based on my experiences. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I've had full size GM products my entire adult life and we never had any significant repairs done to them.  We had a GMC Yukon from 2005-2014, put 165k miles on it and when we sold it I think we had put 3 sets of tires on it and replaced $156 dollars worth of AC parts one time.   Best vehicle I ever owned.   

I've had v6 and v8 silverados and both ran like tops well into 160k+ miles.    

I don't have anything bad to say about Toyotas, my wife currently has a Venza but to say that full size GM trucks are problematic isn't accurate based on my experiences. 

I know...just a little game we play with @mead107, @mragsand @Flutie Flakes.  Very happy you stayed away from Ford trucks.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, BringBackFergy said:

I know...just a little game we play with @mead107, @mragsand @Flutie Flakes.  Very happy you stayed away from Ford trucks.

I've owned two lol, both were solid trucks, one was a 1999 4x4, the other was a 2001 2wd Lariat with the 5.4.    I bought that truck for 3400 dollars, sanded it with an electric sander, took it to Maco for their $399 paint job special, painted it black, and sold it for $4500.   Wasn't a bad truck I'm just not a fan of suicide doors and both my F150s had em. 

Making such a decision is personal choice, and what you need.

Are you going to tow? If so what weight?

Do you need a full sized bed, or a crew cab. Can't have both.

I'm not giving advice, but my son is a buyer for CarMax. Spends about 200k/week, and I trust his opinion.

He gets to buy three vehicles a year for himself at wholesale, which he does, and sells them.

I needed a truck that would pull my small RV. Got a 2005 Nissan Frontier. He found it. Had it for two years and got rid of it a couple weeks ago.

Not a fan. Neither was the local guy who worked on it.

Just bought a used Toyota Tundra my son found through work.

Not even close. Much better vehicle.

Tacoma used prices are ridiculous. A joke in the industry, but they are what they are.

it really depends on what you plan to use it for, and how long you plan to keep it. i looked at both, ended up buying the Taco. Here are here is my conclusion:

Taco:

--holds value well

--excellent fit and finish

--i have the limited edition so the stereo is awesome

--expensive to obtain, even used (my 2017 used Taco was more than a similar equipped brand new Chevy)

--very little wiggle room on price, generally speaking

--if you buy new (or very recent used), includes 2 years of free scheduled maintenance

--after 2 years however, maintenance generally will be more $$ than the chevy

--very reliable (it's a Toyota...)

Chevy:

--cheaper to buy and maintain overall

--dealers much more likely to negotiate on price

--back seat on 4 door model is smaller than Taco (this was important to me)

--nicer rider than the taco (less "truck like" in my opinion)

--lesser resale value

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Luka said:

So you prefer your Toyota to your wife's Toyota.

I didn’t pay extra for the fancy emblem.  ?

To be fair, hers does seem to be a little quieter on the highway, but I do LOVE Toyotas. 

22 minutes ago, Augie said:

I didn’t pay extra for the fancy emblem.  ?

To be fair, hers does seem to be a little quieter on the highway, but I do LOVE Toyotas. 

I have a 99 ES300 and while it is technically a shared platform with the Camry and Avalon, it is setup different suspension wise and they must use better foam for the weather strips or something because it is still nice and quiet after 20 years and 200k.

I always have old Toyotas and that's the reason I always recommend them. They have switched to a new global platform and we've recently started getting parts that say made in China so I can't vouch for the brand new ones.

Edited by Luka

18 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

I owned my last Silverado for 17 years and nearly 250k.  Only thing I did besides scheduled maintenance was replace the fuel pump.   Dude I sold it to is still driving it. 

Hubby has a Silverado now - new vehicle after the last two Rams.  I like it. It was reasonably priced, with nice safety features. he can haul and tow. It is definitely a decent truck. 

36 minutes ago, Augie said:

I didn’t pay extra for the fancy emblem.  

I had the Lexus 570 (immediately before my current vehicle) which is built on the Toyota truck bed and really liked it. The capacity was fabulous, it was a quiet, "old lady" ride that gave me zero problems.  I also loved the cooler inside the front console.  Very quiet, very nice ride. (I got rid of it after 4 years because it was too big, and didn't buy a new one because they hadn't upgraded ... well, anything.)

So with mileage, I don't worry about much from a Toyota.  I would feel comfortable with something in the 75,000 mile range.

What about the Colorado?  What do you guys think a comfortable cutoff would be?  Nothing more than 45,000?  Unless they are as reliable as a Toyota where I don't have to worry about it as much.  

I have 2 Chevy trucks

83 custom deluxe. 2nd motor, a 350 in it.  Damn good truck.  Can't bust it.  

94 s10 manual tranny that is just now starting to need a new clutch.  That thing was built solid

Daily driver is an 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I've put more money in that in the last 4 years than I have the other 2 combined over the last 10.

The workhorse is just not worth bringing into the conversation

gqUCc7m.jpg

Maybe only @CountryCletus and his pretty boy big boy truck can compete ??‍♂️

The little fellas like @mrags, @Flutie Flakes @mead107 @BringBackFergy won't feel adequate.

10 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

You wanna go on a date?

Do you like movies with gladiators??

30 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I have 2 Chevy trucks

94 s10 manual tranny that is just now starting to need a new clutch.  That thing was built solid

Daily driver is an 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I've put more money in that in the last 4 years than I have the other 2 combined over the last 10.

gqUCc7m.jpg

The little fellas like @mrags, @Flutie Flakes @mead107 @BringBackFergy won't feel adequate.

Yeah. Except when you are talking about off-roading, where my lifted FX4 and Flutie Flakes Raptor will blow all yours away. I’ll give you and Cletus the credit for hauling/towing/cruising. But you guys don’t hold a candle to our off road capability. 

Your F350 can sure haul a ton of meat for the Monday Night Game tho. So I’ll concede to your greatness. 

35 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I have 2 Chevy trucks

gqUCc7m.jpg

I prefer spaghetti westerns,  but I suppose I can make an exception. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I prefer spaghetti westerns,  but I suppose I can make an exception. 

I just gave a very good man my Stetson. I have to buy a new one. Those suckers ain't cheap.

6 minutes ago, mrags said:

Yeah. Except when you are talking about off-roading, where my lifted FX4 and Flutie Flakes Raptor will blow all yours away. I’ll give you and Cletus the credit for hauling/towing/cruising. But you guys don’t hold a candle to our off road capability. 

Your F350 can sure haul a ton of meat for the Monday Night Game tho. So I’ll concede to your greatness. 

RzUCenF.jpg

Btw. The f350 is an fx4. 

But I'd just hop in that, probably blow you away on the roads, too.  That damn thing does 67 on the road.

3 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I just gave a very good man my Stetson. I have to buy a new one. Those suckers ain't cheap.

RzUCenF.jpg

Btw. The f350 is an fx4. 

But I'd just hop in that, probably blow you away on the roads, too.  That damn thing does 67 on the road.

I pass convoys of 4 cars long doing 67. I usually keep it under 100 but sometimes it’s tough. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

A lot of good responses, especially @dpberr

@teef....you suck.

So to give more info, I'll have a child seat in the back for me 3 year old.  After I sell my house, I'll be living in an apartment roughly 15 months until I buy a new house.

I don't need to haul anything big, it's going to be landscaping stuff like bails of pine straw, stone, mulch etc....

You should get the Honda Ridgeline.

Arguably most reliable, best interior, best ride, best gas mileage, and suits your every need.

3 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Tacoma's are chick trucks.

The Chevy Colorado is nice. The GMC full size is !@#$ing sweet. My dad just got a loaded Sierra. 

That backup camera. ❤️❤️❤️

You don’t even drive your truck...you let a chick drive your truck (to and from games).  Let her chime in on what truck she likes. Betting she likes the Yoda

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hurricane said:

Cant go wrong... 

I have a 13 Tacoma SR5. We're looking at  used 4runner for a 3rd car. My wife has a long commute so she drives a Corolla for the mileage, but can't do it when it snows so she either takes my truck or I drive her to work. I've been happy with the Toyotas. I'm not sure I'd go with them for a full size truck,  but I cant fit a full size in my garage anyway. 

All Toyotas now come standard with back up camera, so I am told.  Not sure about GM.

Also came with Navi, which I always like built in.  Guilty pleasure.  I know, they jack up the price, but nice having Navi built in.

The styling on Tacoma and Colorado are almost identical.  Wasn't sure if it was a Toy-Let collaboration, which I don't think so.  But almost identical looking trucks, when it comes to cab. ??

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I think in Canada it went into law that all new vehicles have backup cameras standard. They are nice but they ruin you. I use mine with the sensors that beep if I get close, but if I drive one without I find myself forgetting I dont have it.

As for the Nav, a buddy of mine bought a full size Chevy and they were looking for an extra $800-1000 for it, which is basically installing a chip/module or activating something in the screen. He found that he could use his android smartphone and Google maps on his dash screen for nav and it's more up to date and better then what GM gives you.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I think in Canada it went into law that all new vehicles have backup cameras standard. They are nice but they ruin you. I use mine with the sensors that beep if I get close, but if I drive one without I find myself forgetting I dont have it.

As for the Nav, a buddy of mine bought a full size Chevy and they were looking for an extra $800-1000 for it, which is basically installing a chip/module or activating something in the screen. He found that he could use his android smartphone and Google maps on his dash screen for nav and it's more up to date and better then what GM gives you.

Yeah... Sensors ruin You. Park assist that is.  Previous wife's car had park assist, new one just cam.  Same with truck, just camera, no alarms.

I am trying to port my phone in the BMW.  But you still have to by a module unit & it's under a grand.  

Edited by ExiledInIllinois