Toyota Tacoma or Chevy Colorado?

I have a 2017 Blue Taco.  Love it.

Styling is almost similar.  Wonder if Chevy and Toyota still collaborate?

Toylet?

Toyota gets about 25 mpg highway.

Has an Atkinson cylce motor.  Really an Atkinson-Otto hybrid.

We will see how it wears through the years!

2015+ Tacos are the new generation, bit bigger.

Go TRD... Got Sport.  OffRoad has the locking diffs, different modes.

• Like (+1) 1

Lose the purse and buy the Tundra 5.7L...you might get 5 mpg less than Tacoma, but no biggie. At least you won’t have to listen to Exiled extoll the virtues of an inferior version of a real truck. 

(Advice: Don’t listen to Mead, Mrags or Flutieflakes )

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I have a 2017 Blue Taco.  Love it.

Styling is almost similar.  Wonder if Chevy and Toyota still collaborate?

Toylet?

Toyota gets about 25 mpg highway.

Has an Atkinson cylce motor.  Really an Atkinson-Otto hybrid.

We will see how it wears through the years!

2015+ Tacos are the new generation, bit bigger.

Go TRD... Got Sport.  OffRoad has the locking diffs, different modes.

TRD is only worth it if you actually offroad it, basic 4wd in the other models is good enough for the average person in poor weather.

Toyota trucks have always been known for better quality. The Chevys never seem to be known for that. Difference though is the toyotas also hold their values better so its gonna cost much more then a similar Chevy which will also typically be cheaper to fix most things. I do like the look of the newer chevys though.

I own a 2015 Nissan Frontier, the 4 door model just below the big offroad package. Has pretty.much everything but lockers and the roof rack that the higher model has.

I haven't had any issues with it, has about 50k miles on it. Gets about 300 miles to a tank with the larger v6. I have only had to change the tires on it along with typical maintenance. My only problem with it is that I need to move up to a full size cause 3 kids seats in the back is too much of a squeeze.

24 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Lose the purse and buy the Tundra 5.7L...you might get 5 mpg less than Tacoma, but no biggie. At least you won’t have to listen to Exiled extoll the virtues of an inferior version of a real truck. 

(Advice: Don’t listen to Mead, Mrags or Flutieflakes )

It's NOT the size of the wand Counsel, it's the MAGIC in it!  Size can't compensate for operator error.  BTW.  Smaller gets into tighter trails.

My other one will do circles around Your over compensating Rice Burner.  And this one is going on 13 years old:

?

20181003_202149.jpg

Now... That's a real truck! ^^^^

28 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

TRD is only worth it if you actually offroad it, basic 4wd in the other models is good enough for the average person in poor weather.

Toyota trucks have always been known for better quality. The Chevys never seem to be known for that. Difference though is the toyotas also hold their values better so its gonna cost much more then a similar Chevy which will also typically be cheaper to fix most things. I do like the look of the newer chevys though.

I own a 2015 Nissan Frontier, the 4 door model just below the big offroad package. Has pretty.much everything but lockers and the roof rack that the higher model has.

I haven't had any issues with it, has about 50k miles on it. Gets about 300 miles to a tank with the larger v6. I have only had to change the tires on it along with typical maintenance. My only problem with it is that I need to move up to a full size cause 3 kids seats in the back is too much of a squeeze.

TRD OffRoad.

The TRD Sport is just basically on demand, limited slip 4x4.  No lockers, modes.

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

Toyota trucks have always been known for better quality. The Chevys never seem to be known for that.

I owned my last Silverado for 17 years and nearly 250k.  Only thing I did besides scheduled maintenance was replace the fuel pump.   Dude I sold it to is still driving it. 

• Like (+1) 4

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-chevrolet-colorado-lt-crew-cab-4wd-vs-2016-toyota-tacoma-trd-off-road-double-cab-4x4-comparison-test

It really just comes down to driving both and seeing which one tickles your fancy.

You can also look at GMC Canyon, which is the same truck as the Chevy, just with GMC styling.

You'll likely get the best deal on the Nissan Frontier, since it's at the end of the current model.

You should also look into the Honda Ridgeline. Not a "real truck", but it's the truck that 80% of truck drivers should actually drive.

I have a 2013 Tacoma and it never did me wrong. Love the truck.....You're not going to beat a Tacoma for a midsize truck. I have two car seats in the back of mine which is nice to be able to do in a truck. I plan on keeping mine for a few more years, but I've been checking out the TRD PRO's pretty frequently. That's probably what I'll get next unless the Ranger Raptor is released in the states by then.

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It's NOT the size of the wand Counsel, it's the MAGIC in it!  Size can't compensate for operator error.  BTW.  Smaller gets into tighter trails.

My other one will do circles around Your over compensating Rice Burner.  And this one is going on 13 years old:

?

20181003_202149.jpg

Now... That's a real truck! ^^^^

TRD OffRoad.

The TRD Sport is just basically on demand, limited slip 4x4.  No lockers, modes.

My next vehicle is hopefully going to be the new Scrambler pickup next year since I can't have a second vehicle (a jeep) right now

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

My plan is to survive a few years on my current car and then get a Land Cruiser for no more than $20k. Won’t ever need another car. Toyota is THE most reliable brand out there. 

Motor sludging of the early 2000s.

I bought one because like the Jeep, the Tacos hold their value because of the this myth above.

Not faulting the myth.  Already had it in for rear diff recall.  Supposedly, could leak, go dry, seize up and cause an accident.

Mr.Toyota learned His lessen from the floor mat debacle... Never under estimate Your idiot car buyer?

Who drives a vehicle and does NOT notice a huge puddle of gear lube under the vehicle?  The average Toyota Fan Boy (See: Fergy), that's who.  They still had to recall and check the welds on the pumpkin.  I entertained their fancy.

Then the blower motor went out after 12k during hottest part of summer.  Took 4 days to get part.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

My plan is to survive a few years on my current car and then get a Land Cruiser for no more than $20k. Won’t ever need another car. Toyota is THE most reliable brand out there. 

They used to be, not as much anymore though.....

I owned an 80s Toyota pickup that I bought in rough shape and fixed up when I was younger.

The friend I bought it from was a huge Toyota 4x4 truck guy and was always bragging about how the Hilux motors were indestructible

I managed to destroy the motor in it on the first drive from my house (more then around the neighborhood) in it, spun a bearing and lost all the oil somehow.

This is the same Truck that the guys on Top gear did everything they could to destroy and couldn't.

Ended up putting in a new motor but had stalling issues I couldn't figure out so I sold it off and bought a 2wd dakota

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

My next vehicle is hopefully going to be the new Scrambler pickup next year since I can't have a second vehicle (a jeep) right now

Those new ones are nice.  Supposedly You can lower top @ light!

When daughter needs a vehicle, may get one and still keep My 2006 TJ.

Just now, apuszczalowski said:

They used to be, not as much anymore though.....

I owned an 80s Toyota pickup that I bought in rough shape and fixed up when I was younger.

The friend I bought it from was a huge Toyota 4x4 truck guy and was always bragging about how the Hilux motors were indestructible

I managed to destroy the motor in it on the first drive from my house (more then around the neighborhood) in it, spun a bearing and lost all the oil somehow.

This is the same Truck that the guys on Top gear did everything they could to destroy and couldn't.

Ended up putting in a new motor but had stalling issues I couldn't figure out so I sold it off and bought a 2wd dakota

Yep... Very tinny!  

I have had an 87 and 90 YJ, both had tons of issue, but loved them. Used to wheel the 90 pretty much stock all the time, they are great because of their size.

I traded in a 2008 JK Unlimited I owned for about a year to get my Nissan. Jeep ended up with the death wobble and was looking at a large repair bill to fix it, so the wife suggested trading it in to get a truck which I usually need for around the house. (I was thinking of going newer jeep with a trailer)

Once they announced that they were bringing out a Jeep pickup based off the unlimited I have been wanting one cause its pretty much my dream vehicle (truck and Jeep combined)

Really hoping they aren't going to cost as much as they are rumored to right now (in the mid to high 40's in Canada). Although since its a jeep, I don't mind buying the most basic model and upgrading it myself when I can afford to.

Also, if you're looking for something 2015 or newer it may be worth looking at something new. The resale values of used Tacomas are through the roof, so the price difference may not be that much, plus you can get the Toyota care warranty which pretty much covers all labor and parts for the first 2 years.

Get the Tacoma.    You can drive it for 3 years then sell it for what you paid for it.   Nothing holds its value in the automotive world like a Tacoma.   

I've got a buddy with a colorado, was having intermittent issues with what they thought were fuel additives (he added none) turns out his torque converter went bad.   Under warranty so no big deal, but I'd go with the Taco because they never seem to have issues, and I believe the oil filter is mounted up top by the radiator, easy access.   

• Like (+1) 1

Toyota. Not an impartial opinion though. Work at a Toyota dealer, have only owned Toyota's save for a couple Sentras in my youth. I will say though, the newer Colorados/Canyons have a waaayyyy nicer interior than the Tacomas. I find the newer Tacomas to be uncomfortable with a cramped cabin. We have one for a parts truck and I dred driving it.

11 hours ago, Augie said:

I don’t know about the trucks, but I do love Toyotas. I prefer my Toyota to my wife’s Lexus.  My son just got a new 4 Runner, the same as his GF drives. They love them! 

So you prefer your Toyota to your wife's Toyota.

• Like (+1) 1

All kidding aside Royale, I bought my Tundra in the fall of 2008. I was actually looking for a used Tacoma at the dealership and I asked the guy why there were so many Tundras sitting brand new. He told me with the high gas prices at the time (almost $4/gallon) people were buying Tacomas to save on gas (the difference in mileage was negligible)  So I go a nice deal on a 2008 new Tundra toward the end of the model year and have been driving it ever since. Have had absolutely no problems with it (unlike when I owned Chevy trucks where I used to have dumb issues with glove boxes, door hinges, joints, etc....little things that pissed m off). The rear seat in the Tundra is larger for passengers, baby seats, etc and the engine is a beast if towing tractors, lumber, etc.  The Tacoma is a nice truck but the Tundra maintains its value just as well with a slightly higher price tag (but you can feel the difference in comfort, engine, roominess, etc). @ExiledInIllinois is right...Toyotas keep going and although you may pay a little more now, it saves time not having little things pop up that need repair as int he case of Chevy (jmo).  By the way, my Tundra was manufactured in Kentucky, so I technically "Bought American".

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-chevrolet-colorado-lt-crew-cab-4wd-vs-2016-toyota-tacoma-trd-off-road-double-cab-4x4-comparison-test

It really just comes down to driving both and seeing which one tickles your fancy.

You can also look at GMC Canyon, which is the same truck as the Chevy, just with GMC styling.

You'll likely get the best deal on the Nissan Frontier, since it's at the end of the current model.

You should also look into the Honda Ridgeline. Not a "real truck", but it's the truck that 80% of truck drivers should actually drive.

Actually the Ridgeline is now a real truck it's not a unibody anymore.   It has a bed. 

13 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I’m going to buy a new truck...well used.  Not looking for anything older than a 2015.

The 2 that have caught my eye are the Chevy Colorado and the Toyota Tacoma....maybe a Frontier.

What do you guys know about them an/or recommend?  

you strike me as more of a mini cooper kinda guy.  maybe a volt.

36 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

All kidding aside Royale, I bought my Tundra in the fall of 2008. I was actually looking for a used Tacoma at the dealership and I asked the guy why there were so many Tundras sitting brand new. He told me with the high gas prices at the time (almost $4/gallon) people were buying Tacomas to save on gas (the difference in mileage was negligible)  So I go a nice deal on a 2008 new Tundra toward the end of the model year and have been driving it ever since. Have had absolutely no problems with it (unlike when I owned Chevy trucks where I used to have dumb issues with glove boxes, door hinges, joints, etc....little things that pissed m off). The rear seat in the Tundra is larger for passengers, baby seats, etc and the engine is a beast if towing tractors, lumber, etc.  The Tacoma is a nice truck but the Tundra maintains its value just as well with a slightly higher price tag (but you can feel the difference in comfort, engine, roominess, etc). @ExiledInIllinois is right...Toyotas keep going and although you may pay a little more now, it saves time not having little things pop up that need repair as int he case of Chevy (jmo).  By the way, my Tundra was manufactured in Kentucky, so I technically "Bought American".

Tacomas were smaller, more compact before latest generation.  You can get one with a 5' or 6' bed.  Fit 5 people in double cab.  Tundra I think is 6 w/3 in front on the split bucket/bench and double cab.

I like the Toyota over the Nissan because it has more lifted ride height.  The SR5's have always been appealing going back to 1980s.  TRDs late 1990s.  Classic look.

But Royale... Joking NOT aside.  Your single now. Go with the Tundra and fold down the middle front seat & have the lady scootch on over!  That's why Fergy probably likes it... So when He goes riding with His two Bestie Homo Good Buddies, both can ride "shotgun."  Not that there is anything wrong with that!  Just not My cup of tea.  I need a center console line of demarcation when riding with the Ladies.  They can't keep their hands off of Me!  LoL!

LoL... @BringBackFergy  Getting ready to pack up the brews in the refrigerated cooler and head East in the BluTaco! Maybe Hammer will park the cool Kids together! ?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Also, if you're looking for something 2015 or newer it may be worth looking at something new. The resale values of used Tacomas are through the roof, so the price difference may not be that much, plus you can get the Toyota care warranty which pretty much covers all labor and parts for the first 2 years.

Also, if your not walking in paying cash and plan to finance, usually the rates are much better brand new then used.

51 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

It's funny but true how everyone thinks the smaller trucks are better with gas, or going with the smaller motor is better for gas. If you really look into it, it's usually negligable when you compare the full size v8 with a mid size v6. The motor has to be sized right for the vehicle. A v8 doesnt have to work as hard to pull the weight of a typical full size, the v6 in a mid size may have to work the same or more to pull that vehicle.

I had a v6 single cab Dakota and a v8 four door Dakota and the only difference with gas was the v8 truck had a larger tank so it cost more to fill, but mileage wasnt that much worse.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Also, if your not walking in paying cash and plan to finance, usually the rates are much better brand new then used.

It's funny but true how everyone thinks the smaller trucks are better with gas, or going with the smaller motor is better for gas. If you really look into it, it's usually negligable when you compare the full size v8 with a mid size v6. The motor has to be sized right for the vehicle. A v8 doesnt have to work as hard to pull the weight of a typical full size, the v6 in a mid size may have to work the same or more to pull that vehicle.

I had a v6 single cab Dakota and a v8 four door Dakota and the only difference with gas was the v8 truck had a larger tank so it cost more to fill, but mileage wasnt that much worse.

My buddie's 4x4 silverado with the V8 gets around 21mpg average.    My Ram 1500 with the Hemi gets right around 19 and can get up to 21 if I keep my foot out of it.   I imagine the Colorado/Taco will get better, but significantly better I doubt it.  2-3 mpg isn't worth it to me I like the V8, I like the torque and ability to move when I want to move.   I also like the room a full size gives me. 

I think the old Tacos bring a pretty penny, just like My Old TJ because they simply don't make them that size anymore and are simple!  That's why I am holding onto Jeep. Last of the dinosaurs!  So much new electronic tech and crap on the new models.  It's refreshing to get in Jeep and have to roll down windows by hand, not step on brake when starting engine... It's not "dummy proofed."  My wife's BMW makes all kinds of crazy sounds when You open and close the doors... LoL... I am like Holy Moly, WHAT is going on in there, servos, louvers in the vents, timers, etc... WHO knows what circuitry is going around and around. CRAP!  I open the door in reverse to see how I am parking, lean a little too far out and damn thing has a mind of it's own... Slams itself into park!  It's like having the Better Half built right in... Like Her in passenger seat ain't bad enough.  Now the damn German engineers are nagging Your azz... "Shut the door!"  If I wanna run myself over, I will run myself over!

14 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Be prepared for @ExiledInIllinois to give you a lesson on gas mileage and the history of the combustion engine....I'm in your corner.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Soda Popinski said:

My buddie's 4x4 silverado with the V8 gets around 21mpg average.    My Ram 1500 with the Hemi gets right around 19 and can get up to 21 if I keep my foot out of it.   I imagine the Colorado/Taco will get better, but significantly better I doubt it.  2-3 mpg isn't worth it to me I like the V8, I like the torque and ability to move when I want to move.   I also like the room a full size gives me. 

Too big.  Already got small driveway.

Brother has the 1500 Ram w/Hemi... Nice... But too big.

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

Be prepared for @ExiledInIllinois to give you a lesson on gas mileage and the history of the combustion engine....I'm in your corner.

Hit the tight trails, that full size truck might not make it between the two oak trees.

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Too big.  Already got small driveway.

Brother has the 1500 Ram w/Hemi... Nice... But too big.

Hit the tight trails, that full size truck might not make it between the two oak trees.

I also plan on pulling a boat with it, so i like the size for that too.  I'd upgrade to an F250 Diesel if I could but I don't have that kind of cash. 

• Like (+1) 1

And I can plate it with normal plates, under the limit.  Which means I can drive on Lakeshore Drive in Chicago.  Don't get caught with commercial plates on the LSD, they will give You a ticket!

7 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Who says I have to go BETWEEN anything?....I go OVER them bastards

Not that oak tree tough Guy!  Bigger they are, the deeper they get stuck.  And usually, a smaller recovery vehicle bails You out!?

Back to the plate thing... Some places won't let You park commercial plated vehicles in town on street.  Used to be even in driveway!  Flossmoor, Illinois was infamous.  Changed now.  But check the ordinances.  Still some in place about parking on street...

9 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

@ExiledInIllinois is feverishly searching Wikipedia and The Federal Register for test drive data between the V8 and V6 models between 208-2017. He will create a spreadsheet and announce his verdict very soon (with links and pics).

Hell no!  V8 is two more plugs, etc... means more maintenance, more $$$ eventually...

In my truck shopping opinion:

Stay away from Nissan trucks if you're in the northeast.  There isn't a Frontier I've seen in SEPA that isn't rusting.  I almost bought a Nissan Frontier myself but I don't think they hold up to the winters and our overzealous DOT salt spreaders.    

Chevy trucks have a softer ride and come better equipped.  If you're going to use your truck for a daily commute on roads or you're going to be having kids in it, might be something to keep in mind.

Toyota Tacomas have a stiffer ride.  If you are going to be off-roading or participating in a gunfight in Afghanistan, or looking to trade it in after a couple years, might be something to keep in mind.  

(I've driven F-150s, Rangers, S-10, Silverados, Avalanches, RAMs, Dakotas, Tundras and Tacomas from the 70s to present with personal and work use, test drove the Colorado)

• Thank you (+1) 1