Officially one quarter into the season what are your composed thoughts?

billsfan89

25 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

First off, if you're a fan that thinks or expects this team to contend this season (or next), you're gonna put yourself through some misery. If you think this is the "same old Bills" you're wrong. If you think there's no solid, long term plan in effect right now, you're also wrong. 

Defense is McDermott's bread and butter so it makes sense to build the defense first and then work on the offense. The defense has some great veteran leadership (Kyle and Lorax) as well as a tier of players with 4-6 years under their belts yet still under 30 years old, combined with a bunch of youngins in their first or second year. That's how you do a rebuild. Hang on to some decent longtime vets, sign some moderately experienced vets, and then fill out your high priority spots with draft picks. 

Not everything can be addressed in one season which is why the offense is lagging. They have who they think is their QB and left tackle. They have a kid who may blossom into a solid receiver once the team finds its offensive identify. Again, as with the D, there are some longtime vets hanging around providing leadership. I don't think they've dug in much with the offense just yet as they don't have the same type of younger vets like the defense does but I think they'll go after some guys like that this off-season. 

But as for yesterday's game, there are gonna be total duds like this during this project. Allen has to go through the lowest lows as well as the highs as he gains experience. All of this season is about experience and growth of the young foundation. Win big together and lose big together, they'll find out a lot about one another and what it's gonna take from each one of them to become a team of brothers that plays for each other. 

There's a plan. It's in action. It just takes time. I'm all in. Can't wait to see where this team is at come 2020.

of course it's same old for 2 decades now, a lot has to do with the Pats kind of owning 1st place for more years than you can shake a stick at

16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We are who we thought we were.  Bad OL.  Bad WRs.  Qb that needs time.  Lacking a #2 CB. 

I think Ryan Lewis has shown some flashes and should be the starting #2. I certainly like him more than Phillip Gaines. 

4 minutes ago, Philo Beddoe said:

I think Ryan Lewis has shown some flashes and should be the starting #2. I certainly like him more than Phillip Gaines. 

I think we have to upgrade from both of them next year.  Johnson looks like our nickel corner for the next 3 years. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

I think we have to upgrade from both of them next year.  Johnson looks like our nickel corner for the next 3 years. 

Absolutely agree on Johnson. Hopefully he is here longer if he continues to play well and develop. 

I am of the opinion that you should draft at least one CB every year and I think McBean agrees. Probably going to be a mid rounder again, so who knows if the pick will be an immediate upgrade to those guys, but maybe they surprise us this year and end up being solid.

• Like (+1) 1

I didn't really know what to expect these first four games. I am shocked at how many points we gave up in the first two games, but thankfully the defense has gotten better since then.

It's obvious that the defense is the strength of the team, and they will get better. Tremaine Edmunds is progressing steadily and Taron Johnson has been solid as the nickel back. Star Lotuleilei probably got more money than he deserved, but I don't think he has been as big a liability as others have said. Trent Murphy is doing alright, but I think he will make plays. Lorenzo Alexander has played much better than I thought he would and Matt Milano has been all over the field and has become one of our better players. Then of course there is Jerry Hughes, who is still our best DE and gives his all on the field. The secondary has taken a step back from last year. Micah Hyde & Jordan Poyer got off to slow starts, but are doing better. Tre'Davious White has played great. Then there's the spot at Right Corner Back. Vontae Davis dumped on us all and retired leaving a huge hole to fill. Phillip Gaines is average and Ryan Lewis has potential but is inexperienced.

Despite the rough start, the defense has rebounded and done all it can to to keep the Bills in the games this season.

Now the offense, and here is where it gets ugly. I know I am stating the obvious, but our WR group & our O-Line is a mess. I really  thought that Kelvin Benjamin would be a good player for us, but that is not the case. He's a big target and that's it, and he is not reliable. Sadly, he is the best we have. Zay Jones has done nothing to stand out, Andre Holmes is a glorified special teams player and Robert Foster & Ray Ray McCloud are rookies. It is not easy to watch.

Now the offensive line. Ryan Groy is not a Center. We saw that in the first game. Matthew Bodine isn't much better, but he's better than Groy. I was hoping for a rebound season for John Miller and those hopes have been shattered. Vladimir Ducasse is still the same player, as is Jordan Mills. Dion Dawkins is having a rough second year, but is the only bright spot. The line has done a fair job in pass protection, but they have been putrid in run blocking. None of our running backs can get any space. Our line is pitiful when they get blitzed.

The Tight End situation is adequate, but I still don't know why Nick O'Leary was the expendable player. Charles Clay is fine and Jason Croom looks like a natural, but Logan Thomas & Khari Lee are not really there.

Running back is a bright spot. LeSean McCoy is still our best player, and Chris Ivory has been a pleasant surprise. Marcus Murphy has done well too.

Finally there is Josh Allen. I did not want to see him thrown to the wolves like this, but we were put in this position. Honestly, Josh Allen looks like a rookie. He has his ups and downs. I admire his tenacity and his willingness to keep a drive going and trying to fit passes into tight windows, but he does things that also results in bad outcomes. He's a rookie and he has a daredevil mentality, which is something that he will have to reign in, if he wants to survive out there. I really like Allen, the potential is there, even though he's been put in a bad spot. I think that Allen will be able to succeed as he plays more throughout the season. He's a competitor and he has a swagger and he looks like a leader out there. We haven't seen this type of quarterback on the Bills for a long time. He has the ability to become something special for the Bills, now it's the coaches job to make sure that he doesn't get killed behind this line, and to get him better weapons at wideout.

To sum up, we are 1-3. Nobody expected us to get blasted the way we did in Baltimore and nobody saw us taking the Vikings to the woodshed. The Bills are a strange team to figure out. Clearly there are rebuilding and they do have some very good players on the team, but they also have some very pedestrian players too. I'm not going to dump on McDermott & Beane and call for their heads, because that's just silly. I do believe in the process, even when it is ugly. The Bills are building a foundation. Unfortunately we have  to wait for next offseason to see where it will take us. For now we just have to watch this season play out. 

• Like (+1) 2

We played murderers row to start the year. Minnesota was fun, but it looks like an aberration more than anything

What I like:

The defense plays hard and fast. No quit on that unit (sans Vontae). They dropped two INTs yesterday that could have made it a different game. I think that unit is close to being a good unit. They have some things to clean up, but mostly have just been on the field too much. Offense has to help them out.

Punter and kicker seem pretty set. The new left footed guy seems to have a powerful leg. Considering we stole him from Pats* makes me like him even more

Uniforms are still the best in the league

Josh Allen has flashed some serious potential. I like his fire and I definitely see plenty to like about him. He's erratic right now and I think he is trying to do to much. When he plays within the system( see vs Vikings) he looks like a top QB. When he tries to score 22 points on one play, he throws a terrible INT right at halftime. IF he figures out how to be consistent and play within the scheme on every down, we may have something special. If he tries to do too much, well back to the drawing board I guess

What I dont like:

Offensive line. - What a train wreck this has been. I'd fire the o-line coach. His message just doesn't seem to be working. far too many free rushers

Wrs - Holmes dropped a perfect pass from Allen yesterday on the sideline. Why is he running 60% of the routes? Holmes is a replacement level WR. Its unbelievable to me that they are trying to develop a rookie QB when his most reliable target is Jason Croom. Its criminal and they should be turning over every rock to find someone, anyone to play WR. They could cut them all, start from scratch and it might be an improvement 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

We played murderers row to start the year. Minnesota was fun, but it looks like an aberration more than anything

What I like:

The defense plays hard and fast. No quit on that unit (sans Vontae). They dropped two INTs yesterday that could have made it a different game. I think that unit is close to being a good unit. They have some things to clean up, but mostly have just been on the field too much. Offense has to help them out.

Punter and kicker seem pretty set. The new left footed guy seems to have a powerful leg. Considering we stole him from Pats* makes me like him even more

Uniforms are still the best in the league

Josh Allen has flashed some serious potential. I like his fire and I definitely see plenty to like about him. He's erratic right now and I think he is trying to do to much. When he plays within the system( see vs Vikings) he looks like a top QB. When he tries to score 22 points on one play, he throws a terrible INT right at halftime. IF he figures out how to be consistent and play within the scheme on every down, we may have something special. If he tries to do too much, well back to the drawing board I guess

What I dont like:

Offensive line. - What a train wreck this has been. I'd fire the o-line coach. His message just doesn't seem to be working. far too many free rushers

Wrs - Holmes dropped a perfect pass from Allen yesterday on the sideline. Why is he running 60% of the routes? Holmes is a replacement level WR. Its unbelievable to me that they are trying to develop a rookie QB when his most reliable target is Jason Croom. Its criminal and they should be turning over every rock to find someone, anyone to play WR. They could cut them all, start from scratch and it might be an improvement 

a few experts had the Bills starting 0-8, so they are totally owned if the Bills go 1-7, right?

• Haha (+1) 1

Defense will look very good by mid season if we don't get a rash of injuries. Coaching staff gave no chance to any QB to start with this putrid O-Line and clear lack of offensive talent. Allen has very little chance to succeed under these circumstances and I would like to see him watch a few games and maybe start again at the end of the season. He's going to get injured playing with the group that he has right now.

Simply not enough talent on the offensive side of the ball to win without some trickery. OL and WR look like the top priorities going into next year. 

Defense got gashed badly the first two weeks, reminiscent of the NYJ/New Orleans/LAC collapse last year, but responded nicely against good offenses. Any offense at all would have made the Green Bay game competitive. I like the pieces we have there, although we will likely need to add another pass rusher one way or another next year. 

All I want to see are the young guys - especially Allen and Edmunds - grow week to week. So far we've seen a mix with Allen, of course he's in a much worse situation, but Edmunds appears to be steadily moving in the right direction.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm encouraged that they won a game and the defense appears to be playing better.  I am hoping Allen doesn't get killed between next Sunday and the end of the season....seems to spend a lot of time on his back so far.....

I am thinking I still dont know what the final record is gonna look like.....

The team is not good on offense......the defense is better then being given credit......and we have completed the "murderers row" of our schedule and are 1-3.   Which is about where I expected to be at this point of the season.

Now we start facing teams that we "should" be more competative against....what I dont want is another 8 and 8 season.......not in the blue chip draft picks and not in the playoffs....I really do NOT want that this year.

If we are gonna suck.....lets suck out loud and make this next draft count along with our 90 million cap space and rebiuld the OL of the Jim Kelly era around this kid.....and find some Andre Reed type receivers for him to throw to.