Officially one quarter into the season what are your composed thoughts?

billsfan89

On 10/2/2018 at 10:12 AM, Dr. K said:

Why are people still even mentioning Peterman? Peterman has nothing do to with the miserable play that we saw against the Chargers and Packers.

Because he's still  on the team and if Wonder Boy gets injured, Nasty Nate has to go in.  I'll stop talking about him when he's not longer a heartbeat away from playing.

I hope the next time I hear anything from him is when he visits a few Bills fan's tail gates before a game 5 years from now.

I expect the bills to be at least competitive and try to win.  Since we are so not competitive, it makes me wonder if we're even trying to win.

This is the worst season since 2010 when we stunk and went 4-12 because we were "rebuilding" with Coach Gailey.  Hopefully this rebuild works out better.

Every year we pi$$ away makes the "one before I die" slogan less likely to actually happen.  Sad.

Edited by reddogblitz

5 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

It’s all part of their master plan! #TrustTheProcess

In the end it wont matter......Josh did need that year holding the bench down but what is done is done......

It wont ruin him to play him this year...but he isnt gonna look dramatically better until the team around him is better.

My thoughts:

This team is heading in the wrong direction. We value character over talent, and have overhauled the roster too quickly. We jettisoned too much talent just for the sake of changing the culture, and it will take years to replace all the 1st and 2nd round picks from the previous regime who are no longer on the team.

We lack athleticism in the pass game and truly need to overhaul what we have at WR. Trading a 3rd round pick for Benjamin was a terrible idea, and Zay Jones isn't good enough. His scouting report said he struggled to separate, and that's exactly what his problem has been so far. Beyond them we don't have any NFL calibre talent.

The QB is a major concern in my eyes. People talk about him developing, but so far he's looked exactly as advertised in his scouting reports. He's big and strong, but aside from a couple plays in the Vikings game it hasn't amounted to much. At this point he's just an athlete trying to learn the QB position and early signs suggest he has minimal feel for the position. He doesn't naturally know to take what the defense gives him, and constantly looks for the big play when it's not there. His ability to read a defense pre and post snap are extremely limited and at some point all the hits are going to take a toll. He needed to sit on the bench all year. 

The defense has some pieces but also a lot of dead weight. Hard to evaluate them when the offense is constantly putting them in bad spots. 

Like Josh McDaniels and Chip Kelly before, I think Coach McDermott is trending in that direction. He got rid of too much talent, too quickly, and despite having numerous draft picks over the past few years they foolishly used them in trades negating their value. Edmunds and White look like legit building blocks, but beyond that there's little to get excited about. I don't think Allen is going to make it (most QBs don't), and we legitimately need 8 or 9 new starters on offense next year other than Allen and Dawkins. 

I'm extremely unimpressed with this regimes ability to evaluate talent. As we heard today they value character over strategy which is a major concern in 2018. Maybe 30 years ago that approach would work, but in the modern NFL all that matters is the Xs and Os and we don't appear to value them. 

1.  Despite optimism, knew this would be a rocky season.

2.  Disappointed in play of OL and WRs, and inconsistency of defense.

3.  Encouraged by potential of Allen but realize he has a lot of work to do.

4.  Still waiting for a great offensive gameplan more than 25% of the time.

5.  Willing to give McD benefit of doubt this year.

6.  Still don't think Vikes win was a fluke; shows what can heppen moving forward.

Edited by eball

Going into the 2017 season, I felt worse about that team than I have any Bills squad this century.  How they won 9 games is a little mystifying.  I give McDermott a lot of credit for that.  But, that said, this team, by all measures was/is worse than that team.  I felt that 5 or 6 wins were the most we could expect, but had my fingers crossed that I would be wrong again...not getting that feeling so far...maybe they get better as the season goes on, which happens with young/bad teams sometimes....but I just don't see it translating into much more than 4 or 5 wins.  This team has issues...

38 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

My thoughts:

This team is heading in the wrong direction. We value character over talent, and have overhauled the roster too quickly. We jettisoned too much talent just for the sake of changing the culture, and it will take years to replace all the 1st and 2nd round picks from the previous regime who are no longer on the team.

We lack athleticism in the pass game and truly need to overhaul what we have at WR. Trading a 3rd round pick for Benjamin was a terrible idea, and Zay Jones isn't good enough. His scouting report said he struggled to separate, and that's exactly what his problem has been so far. Beyond them we don't have any NFL calibre talent.

The QB is a major concern in my eyes. People talk about him developing, but so far he's looked exactly as advertised in his scouting reports. He's big and strong, but aside from a couple plays in the Vikings game it hasn't amounted to much. At this point he's just an athlete trying to learn the QB position and early signs suggest he has minimal feel for the position. He doesn't naturally know to take what the defense gives him, and constantly looks for the big play when it's not there. His ability to read a defense pre and post snap are extremely limited and at some point all the hits are going to take a toll. He needed to sit on the bench all year. 

The defense has some pieces but also a lot of dead weight. Hard to evaluate them when the offense is constantly putting them in bad spots. 

Like Josh McDaniels and Chip Kelly before, I think Coach McDermott is trending in that direction. He got rid of too much talent, too quickly, and despite having numerous draft picks over the past few years they foolishly used them in trades negating their value. Edmunds and White look like legit building blocks, but beyond that there's little to get excited about. I don't think Allen is going to make it (most QBs don't), and we legitimately need 8 or 9 new starters on offense next year other than Allen and Dawkins. 

I'm extremely unimpressed with this regimes ability to evaluate talent. As we heard today they value character over strategy which is a major concern in 2018. Maybe 30 years ago that approach would work, but in the modern NFL all that matters is the Xs and Os and we don't appear to value them. 

The year after they make the playoffs in over 17 years.....this is just comical

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

1.  Despite optimism, knew this would be a rocky season.

2.  Disappointed in play of OL and WRs, and inconsistency of defense.

3.  Encouraged by potential of Allen but realize he has a lot of work to do.

4.  Still waiting for a great offensive gameplan more than 25% of the time.

5.  Willing to give McD benefit of doubt this year.

6.  Still don't think Vikes win was a fluke; shows what can heppen moving forward.

So the secret is to play a team on Sun. Thats playing the best team in the conf. on Thursday.

2 hours ago, jrober38 said:

My thoughts:

Good post and I agree. 

Last year, Bills and Titans were in a similar situation, both made playoffs after long droughts. 

This year, Titans continued to build on that talent pool and they are improving, beat the Eagles and Jags. 

Bills have done a complete 180. Continue to cut talent leaving holes all over the place. Getting rid of too much talent, too quick. Predictable back fire. 

Disappointing to say the least. ? 

16 minutes ago, COTC said:

Good post and I agree. 

Last year, Bills and Titans were in a similar situation, both made playoffs after long droughts. 

This year, Titans continued to build on that talent pool and they are improving, beat the Eagles and Jags. 

Bills have done a complete 180. Continue to cut talent leaving holes all over the place. Getting rid of too much talent, too quick. Predictable back fire. 

the bills are also starting a brand new rookie qb.  i wouldn't say it's a totally fair comparison.  the teams are in pretty different places.

Just now, teef said:

the bills are also starting a brand new rookie qb.  i wouldn't say it's a totally fair comparison.  the teams are in pretty different places.

Yeah. Now they are. Polar opposite.

Just now, teef said:

but don't you think it's not a great comparison?  

At the end of the season last year, we were in a similar situation.

Now, no, not a great comparison. 

This is a decent read;

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2018/10/02/titans-vs-bills-nfl-football-mike-vravel-and-titans-bills-host-titans-bills-back-new-era/1502308002/

4 minutes ago, COTC said:

At the end of the season last year, we were in a similar situation.

Now, no, not a great comparison. 

This is a decent read;

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2018/10/02/titans-vs-bills-nfl-football-mike-vravel-and-titans-bills-host-titans-bills-back-new-era/1502308002/

i don't mean where they are as a team.  i mean the make up of the team themselves. 

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Here are my composed thoughts.

The 2018 Bills are a terrible football team. But things will be better next year.

I’m just glad I picked the Minnesota game as my annual road trip!

maybe the bills community can pitch in and send you to all the road games? 

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

The year after they make the playoffs in over 17 years.....this is just comical

Both McDaniels and Kelly made the playoffs in their first season. 

Then their teams imploded mostly due to their personnel decisions and they got fired. 

56 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Both McDaniels and Kelly made the playoffs in their first season. 

Then their teams imploded mostly due to their personnel decisions and they got fired. 

And plenty of coaches took a team with its first playoff birth and built off it

so the real question is are you going to go negative positive in your thinking

6 hours ago, COTC said:

Good post and I agree. 

Still 12 games left to play

6 hours ago, COTC said:

Good post and I agree. 

Let me go on record as saying I am shocked you agree with Jrob's completely negative attitude.....I never would would have expected this from you based on your previous posts.

(yes this is dripping with sarcasm)

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

And plenty of coaches took a team with its first playoff birth and built off it

Sorry but the Bills don't appear to be building off it. 

They appear to be in the 1st year of a 3 year rebuild. 

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

They are NOT in the first year of a rebiuld.

That started last year but was masked because we made the playoffs.  This is year 2

They're going to have a top 5 pick, but they're not rebuilding.

Okey dokey...

8 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

They're going to have a top 5 pick, but they're not rebuilding.

Okey dokey...

That is not what you said....

You said they were in year 1 of a rebiuld.

They are not.....year one started when they camp in and jettisoned our expensive players for draft picks and shed salary....creating this year's dead cap situation.

We are in year 2......

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

They are not.....year one started when they camp in and jettisoned our expensive players for draft picks and shed salary....creating this year's dead cap situation.

We are in year 2......

Not just the expensive players. Young talented players on rookie contracts as well 

Just now, John from Riverside said:

We are in year 2......

I disagree. But ultimately where we are in the rebuild doesn't matter.

This is a horrible football team with maybe 3-4 building blocks they can build around in the coming years. Most of the roster consists of older, overpaid vets who for the most part aren't contributing. 

This team is mostly devoid of talent. We have a major question mark at QB, the worst group of receivers in the NFL, an offensive line that needs to be rebuilt, and a defense that lacks true playmakers. As things stand, the cupboard is extremely bare when it comes to the talent we have on the roster who are still on their rookie deals. We need 2, maybe 3 more drafts to compensate for all the talent they jettisoned for draft picks over the past year. 

This offense needs 8, maybe 9 new starters on offense for next year. If that isn't a team that's rebuilding I don't know what is. 

3 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

This is a horrible football team with maybe 3-4 building blocks they can build around in the coming years. Most of the roster consists of older, overpaid vets who for the most part aren't contributing. 

This team is mostly devoid of talent. We have a major question mark at QB, the worst group of receivers in the NFL, an offensive line that needs to be rebuilt, and a defense that lacks true playmakers. As things stand, the cupboard is extremely bare when it comes to the talent we have on the roster who are still on their rookie deals. We need 2, maybe 3 more drafts to compensate for all the talent they jettisoned for draft picks over the past year. 

This offense needs 8, maybe 9 new starters on offense for next year. If that isn't a team that's rebuilding I don't know what is. 

That's...what everyone is saying. Year 2 of a rebuild that started the minute Watkins was shipped out last August to the LA Rams. 

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

Every QB in the league except for maybe 7 or 8 is a question mark....would have have gone with a retread or a player that actually has legit upside?

the WR core is bad....no  disputing that

The OL took hits that were unforseen...except for Dawkins they can all go....they probably will NOT all go in one offseason

The defense does NOT lake true playmakers....Tre is a shut down corner......they have their captain of the defense that they drafted this year that is getting better by the game.....Matt Milano was a find.......Hughes is still a terror as a pass rusher.....the defense actually does not need THAT much help.....they need another pass rusher and depth....I actually dont worry about the D at all as they have been playing well the O has let us down in a big way.

If this team had a offense that could score points this team would look entirely different......we have 90 million in cap space and 10 draft picks coming......

And it DOES matter which year they are of the rebiuld.......

1 minute ago, Chemical said:

Darby and Ragland. Sammy would have a new contract by now but he was also on a rookie deal. 

Yeah on Darby....I really dont worry about the D backs as we have a shut down corner and Beane appears to know how to find them....McD knows how to coach them.

Ragland.....he absolutely did not fit this system

Sammy Watkins....the team we traded him to promptly let him go somewhere else.  Still that does not mean that he wouldnt be really helpful to us right here right now.....but the bills are in a rebiuld and didnt want to pay his hefty salary......hopefully they will also not give KB one.

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Every QB in the league except for maybe 7 or 8 is a question mark....would have have gone with a retread or a player that actually has legit upside?

The OL took hits that were unforseen...except for Dawkins they can all go....they probably will NOT all go in one offseason

The defense does NOT lake true playmakers....Tre is a shut down corner......they have their captain of the defense that they drafted this year that is getting better by the game.....Matt Milano was a find.......Hughes is still a terror as a pass rusher.....the defense actually does not need THAT much help.....they need another pass rusher and depth....I actually dont worry about the D at all as they have been playing well the O has let us down in a big way.

If this team had a offense that could score points this team would look entirely different......we have 90 million in cap space and 10 draft picks coming......

The cap space is great, but why would anyone want to come play for this team right now unless we overpay them dramatically?

Any why would you have any faith that the coach or GM can actually identify good players? Everything this regime has brought in on the offensive side of the ball hasn't worked out so far. 

On paper we're in a good spot heading into next season, but I have no faith that anyone is going to be clamouring to come play for the 31st ranked offense or that this regime can actually identify the right players to throw money at. 

Edited by jrober38

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

The cap space is great, but why would anyone want to come play for this team right now unless we overpay them dramatically?

Any why would you have any faith that the coach or GM can actually identify good players? Everything this regime has brought in on the offensive side of the ball hasn't worked out so far. 

On paper we're in a good spot heading into next season, but I have no faith that anyone is going to be clamouring to come play for the 31st ranked offense or that this regime can actually identify the right players to throw money at. 

You act like the coach and GM have been here picking duds for years.

It was a REBIULD.....not a reload....those take time.   The idea was to stop going 8-8 or 7-9 and miss the playoffs every year while also drafting out of the blue chip player rounds.

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Yeah on Darby....I really dont worry about the D backs as we have a shut down corner and Beane appears to know how to find them....McD knows how to coach them.

Ragland.....he absolutely did not fit this system

Sammy Watkins....the team we traded him to promptly let him go somewhere else.  Still that does not mean that he wouldnt be really helpful to us right here right now.....but the bills are in a rebiuld and didnt want to pay his hefty salary......hopefully they will also not give KB one.

Sammy is only 25. We could’ve signed him to a 4-5 year deal that expired right when our rookie QB hopefully needs a new deal. Even if he was overpaid at least we would be a step closer to evaluate our QB without making excuses. 

Im not too broken up about Ragland but we moved Lorenzo so maybe we shouldn’t have given up on a 2nd round pick after one year. Zay is still around for some reason 

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

It was a REBIULD.....not a reload....those take time.   The idea was to stop going 8-8 or 7-9 and miss the playoffs every year while also drafting out of the blue chip player rounds.

Their track record is limited but when you consider that their big acquisitions at WR so far have been Kelvin Benjamin and Zay Jones, why would you give them the benefit of the doubt?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Their track record is limited but when you consider that their big acquisitions at WR so far have been Kelvin Benjamin and Zay Jones, why would you give them the benefit of the doubt?

Because you need more then 1 year to make an evaluation.....what are you going to do keep rotating GM's and HC's in and out of here again and again....that has worked SO WELL.

This team doesnt take stabs and getting the QB....this year they did....we have to see their plan for what they are gonna put around him and it was not going to happen this year because of the dead cap......next year is the year to truly evaluate this front office.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Blame Pegula. It never should have been a rebuild in 2014. Defense was dominant. Offense needed a couple of tweeks. Pegs hired a coach who used assets to fix something that wasnt broken. He then fired said coach and hired another defensive minded coach who is doing the same thing

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Because you need more then 1 year to make an evaluation.....what are you going to do keep rotating GM's and HC's in and out of here again and again....that has worked SO WELL.

This team doesnt take stabs and getting the QB....this year they did....we have to see their plan for what they are gonna put around him and it was not going to happen this year because of the dead cap......next year is the year to truly evaluate this front office.

I'm not waiting a year to evaluate them.

I think they rolled the dice on the wrong QB and I think their offensive personnel decisions up until now have been horrendous.

At the end of 2019, I suspect we'll probably be looking for a new coach, GM and QB. I think this team is trending in the wrong direction.