Officially one quarter into the season what are your composed thoughts?

billsfan89

14 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I'm not waiting a year to evaluate them.

I think they rolled the dice on the wrong QB and I think their offensive personnel decisions up until now have been horrendous.

At the end of 2019, I suspect we'll probably be looking for a new coach, GM and QB. I think this team is trending in the wrong direction. 

Then your a idiot

24 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Blame Pegula. It never should have been a rebuild in 2014. Defense was dominant. Offense needed a couple of tweeks. Pegs hired a coach who used assets to fix something that wasnt broken. He then fired said coach and hired another defensive minded coach who is doing the same thing

Actually....I think what Pegula did with the Rex Ryan clown show was anything but......he brought in a established coach that supposidly was a defensive genious without realizing Rex Ryan was just looking for a last paycheck for himself and his brother going out the door.

Pegula does have to take some blame for that but Ryan was supposed to be one of the "big fish" candidates that year.

Next he tried getting the hot young coordinator (which ended up being McD...instead of a retread and we dont know how that is going to work out yet)

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

Nice spelling, genius. 

LMAO

My spelling has always been bad

Just like your takes

Rex was good for Buffalo. Turned out the game had passed him by, but he had some good moments and was entertaining.  I just wonder about Pegulas sports acumen going forward. He doesnt have the best track record with coaching and gm hires. Although it looks like he found a good one in Botterill. (spelling)

Besides the catch phrases of "culture change" "character" "culture over strategy" "trust the process" and others  are sounding hollow right now. Philosophical phrases usually do when success isn't there. It just sounds annoying and people tune it out.

And its really sounding hollow when you're seeing WR's brought in who won't learn routes, others who put in a half assed effort, people who quit in mid game, QB's who were signed but "not who we thought they were"..and now a guy who was kicked off his team for a temper tantrum, all run contrary to the preaching of the FO. Genuine culture change comes from the top. It can't be preached in.  

The rest applies to the offense.

Quite simply, they don't have the FO talent to build an offense.

First, I don't know who takes an offense that was 10th in scoring and determines that complete rebuild is needed...instead of building on what's there.  Chip Kelly maybe, but then, he's out of the league. And at least has a history of creating potent offenses, albeit at the college level.

But even after that decision was made, after 2 years...that's 2 drafts, 2 FA periods, 2 camps...

How many players brought in are better than the players who left?  Im not even talking about areas of the offense, such as the RB's, OL or receivers...I'm talking individual players.  After all these changes...you'd at the least expect some young studs who just need experience. We've got Allen, Dawkins and sorta Zay Jones who might qualify in that category.

This is after 2 years. That's enough time for them to show some ability to judge players on the O side of the ball. 

They've shown nothing. In many ways, less than nothing.

A gazillion dollars in cap space and 1- draft picks are nice, but not if the FO doesn't know what to do with it. 

When your CIO has just tanked your tech stock portfolio, giving him more capital to "rebuild" the tech stock portfolio he just tanked should give you some concerns.

If I'm the Pegulas, I'm not thinking the F word with either McD or Beane. But I AM urging them...in no uncertain terms, to bring in someone for the FO who knows something about the offensive side of the ball.  An offensive guru from the scouting/GM ranks...someone with a proven track record for eyeing talent on that side of the ball.

If the McBeane braintrust made an honest self evaluation on that side of the ball, they'd agree.  If they give a flat out refusal, I'd be concerned. 

Now, at this stage, I think its crucial. You cannot waste this opportunity.

1 hour ago, Chris66 said:

Rex was good for Buffalo. Turned out the game had passed him by, but he had some good moments and was entertaining.  I just wonder about Pegulas sports acumen going forward. He doesnt have the best track record with coaching and gm hires. Although it looks like he found a good one in Botterill. (spelling)

yeah, says the Patriots fan ?

In fairness, I actually liked the Rex hire. I thought he got shafted in NY and could do good things here. That feeling died midway through the 2016 season. 

5 hours ago, Chemical said:

Sammy is only 25. We could’ve signed him to a 4-5 year deal that expired right when our rookie QB hopefully needs a new deal. Even if he was overpaid at least we would be a step closer to evaluate our QB without making excuses. 

Im not too broken up about Ragland but we moved Lorenzo so maybe we shouldn’t have given up on a 2nd round pick after one year. Zay is still around for some reason 

Sammy signed for a deal that pays him 16 million per year and is almost fully guaranteed. He isn't anywhere near worth that kind of money. I would rather have the 2nd round pick and a solid corner like Gaines even if Gaines turned out just to be a rental. 

I would rather toss that 16 million or a dash more to go after a prime time edge rusher than have Sammy a second tier WR at best on the roster. 

Composed thoughts from Bills fans?  You must be joking.

Well, I can give it a shot.  First, I think McBeane were really hoping after McCarron failed to impress during the preseason that Peterman, who looked really good in the preseason, would come out and play well in the regular season, thus relieving them of having to start Josh Allen.  Obviously, that didn't happen.  That meant the Bills were going to be subjected to the growing pains of a raw rookie.  That doesn't mean they aren't high on him as an eventual franchise QB, but it does mean any projected win total made by the team's brain trust is probably being scaled back.

Secondly, when the team got blindsided back in the early part of the year with Eric Wood's health issue and Ritchie Incognito's questionable sanity, I think Bean and McDermott made the decision to go ahead and work on strengthening the areas of the team that had been targeted prior to the loss of Wood and Incognito.  They signed band aids to try and get through the season.  That left the team having to scramble during preseason to put together a combination on the line that might work.  That deprived the line of any ability to develop cohesiveness during the preseason.  That, combined with the fact that it's one of the least talented offensive lines in the league means it's going to struggle against good defensive front sevens.  

Without elaborating, Buffalo clearly doesn't have a well established group of wide receivers, and the team is also a bit thin at CB and linebacker.  Our running backs are much older than the league average. 

Now for the good news:  I don't think Josh Allen's struggles versus Green Bay means he's not our franchise QB of the future.  He looked like a raw rookie behind an inept offensive line.  Surprise, surprise!  I got flamed a bit when I suggested he was going to have growing pains when future defensive coordinators, armed with regular season film on Allen would game plan to expose his weaknesses.  Whadayaknow!  I think he has the mental makeup to learn from his early struggles and become a better QB as a result.  I think the offensive line is going to gain some cohesion, and will improve as a result.  That's not going to keep them from being one of the lesser talented groups in the league, but they can still improve from their Green Bay showing.  

After the halftime defection of Vontae Davis, the Bills found a silver lining in the  play of Ryan Lewis, a much younger, cheaper and healthier option than Davis.  Taron Johnson also appears to have the right stuff.  Lafayette Pitts and Phillip Gaines look to me as if they are reasonably competent depth.  All this works together to suggest that the CBs might be OK, and even have acceptable depth.  

The receivers aren't a great bunch.  Overall, they've had too many drops and KB in particular looks like he's collecting a paycheck on his way out of the league, but the Bills can probably get by with this group.

Lastly, with (possibly) a franchise QB in place, (on a 5 year rookie deal to boot) with a ton of cap room and a good amount of draft capital, the Bills are in a position to make significant talent upgrades at multiple positions in the offseason.  If I were Beane, I would still go easy on splash free agent signings, and I would try to get a little younger too.  The newcomers who have had more of an impact so far this season are the younger guys, not even thinking about draft picks (Ryan Lewis, Corry Bojorquez, Jason Croom) versus Vontae Davis and Marshall Newhouse. 

4 hours ago, Chris66 said:

Blame Pegula. It never should have been a rebuild in 2014. Defense was dominant. Offense needed a couple of tweeks. Pegs hired a coach who used assets to fix something that wasnt broken. He then fired said coach and hired another defensive minded coach who is doing the same thing

You nailed it right on the head Rex was a terrible hire! 

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Sammy signed for a deal that pays him 16 million per year and is almost fully guaranteed. He isn't anywhere near worth that kind of money. I would rather have the 2nd round pick and a solid corner like Gaines even if Gaines turned out just to be a rental. 

I would rather toss that 16 million or a dash more to go after a prime time edge rusher than have Sammy a second tier WR at best on the roster. 

What edge rusher? We have Star and Murphy. Who cares if he's overpaid if we are still under the cap because we have a QB on a rookie deal. We can't even properly evaluate our rookie QB because "he doesn't have the weapons that Mahomes does" or really any weapons at all or much time to throw. The chiefs don't mind paying him because they know when Mahomes/Hunt/Hill are ready for new contracts Sammy's will be ending.

2 minutes ago, Chemical said:

What edge rusher? We have Star and Murphy. Who cares if he's overpaid if we are still under the cap because we have a QB on a rookie deal. We can't even properly evaluate our rookie QB because "he doesn't have the weapons that Mahomes does" or really any weapons at all or much time to throw. The chiefs don't mind paying him because they know when Mahomes/Hunt/Hill are ready for new contracts Sammy's will be ending.

In the 2019 Off-season the Bills will have enough to sign a top edge rusher and sign 3-4 high caliber starting players on offense if not more. If the Bills were paying Sammy 16 million to be a upper mid level WR that becomes that much harder to do. The Bills also wouldn't have had a quality year from Gaines and one of the picks used to trade up for Allen if they held onto Sammy. 

As much as Sammy would be by far better than any WR on the roster he doesn't come close to justifying his salary even in the context of free agents always getting overpaid as a force of the market. The Bills in 2019 will be in a position to do a massive spending spree around Allen mainly because they won't have big contracts like Sammy's clogging up the books. 

8 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

In the 2019 Off-season the Bills will have enough to sign a top edge rusher and sign 3-4 high caliber starting players on offense if not more. If the Bills were paying Sammy 16 million to be a upper mid level WR that becomes that much harder to do. The Bills also wouldn't have had a quality year from Gaines and one of the picks used to trade up for Allen if they held onto Sammy. 

As much as Sammy would be by far better than any WR on the roster he doesn't come close to justifying his salary even in the context of free agents always getting overpaid as a force of the market. The Bills in 2019 will be in a position to do a massive spending spree around Allen mainly because they won't have big contracts like Sammy's clogging up the books. 

I was in love with the thought of Sammy Watkins production

Except he never really lived up to it....I thought we were getting the next top 5 WR in the league......instead we got a guy that bitches in the locker room and is on his 3rd team in two years.

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

So they should go on a massive spending spree to surround Allen with players in free agency and they can afford to do this. THEN WHY NOT SAMMY WATKINS!! Who else are they gonna pay, 29 year old Randall Cobb? Give me an example of a player not just some idea. You said it yourself "...free agents always getting overpaid as a force of the market." So why is it ok to overpay these nameless Allen saviors? This is all without mentioning that the franchise tag for a WR is about 16mil. So we could have Sammy for this year and next then let him walk and pick up a comp pick. AND the fact that the Jets have more cap space next year, a better team, and a better market. Can't wait to overpay for their scraps.

On 10/1/2018 at 11:10 AM, I am the egg man said:

Composed thoughts ?.....

McDermott and Beane gutted this team without a solid plan.

Composed thoughts? How about decomposed thoughts? Pretty much the whole team, especially the coach and GM are the equivalent of decomposed matter. Did not expect the team to be good but they far exceeded my expectations. The whole mess is a compost pile.

1 minute ago, Chemical said:

So they should go on a massive spending spree to surround Allen with players in free agency and they can afford to do this. THEN WHY NOT SAMMY WATKINS!! Who else are they gonna pay, 29 year old Randall Cobb? Give me an example of a player not just some idea. You said it yourself "...free agents always getting overpaid as a force of the market." So why is it ok to overpay these nameless Allen saviors? This is all without mentioning that the franchise tag for a WR is about 16mil. So we could have Sammy for this year and next then let him walk and pick up a comp pick. AND the fact that the Jets have more cap space next year, a better team, and a better market. Can't wait to overpay for their scraps.

Sammy isn't worth 16 million even in the context of the market of free agency. I would rather pay Golden Tate 10 million a year (Which I am not sure he would cost that much but I am rounding up) to get better production and a better player in the locker room and save 6 million and be able to get out the deal at about the same time despite signing a player a year later. I would rather draft a WR early and fill other needs like the pass rush with the cap space than have Sammy's injured prone and not even worth it when healthy play on the team at 16 million a year. I also would rather pay Golden Tate 10 million and have pick 56 and a year of EJ Gaines, it's not like the Bills just let Sammy walk for money. Your argument would be better if this was just a is Sammy worth the dollars argument. The Bills got a pretty good return for him on the last year of his deal. 

In a capped league you have to spend your dollars wisely and draft picks are gold. The Bills not only avoided overpaying Sammy but they got a good draft pick and a solid defensive player in return. 

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I was in love with the thought of Sammy Watkins production

Except he never really lived up to it....I thought we were getting the next top 5 WR in the league......instead we got a guy that bitches in the locker room and is on his 3rd team in two years.

Sammy hasn't even done jack **** since he left. His numbers on the Rams offense where he could have easily commanded lots of targets were rather pedestrian. 25% of the way into the season his pace for the Chiefs are 56 receptions, 4 TD's, and 740 yards. If the Bills were paying Sammy 16 million for that kind of production and they found out they could have traded him for a 2nd round pick and a solid corner people would be calling for firings.