Bills Release WR Jeremy Kerley; Sign DT Robert Thomas from PS

26CornerBlitz

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Because we created dead cap while shedding talent.

Frankly are we better with star and dareus dead money, or dareus for another year and signing a player now? That’s 20m in cap hit at DT. 

Maybe throw vontaes money and stars money at a good CB and settle for dareus, for instance. 

Likewise, should we have just signed a $5m a year wr instead of Coleman/kerley? 

Tyrod and McCarron combine for 10m in dead space but we are blessed with peterman as a backup. 

Trent Murphy was just a bad signing. 

We couldve walked into next year generally every bit as able to make moves freely without inflicting so much pain on this year’s 53

This hurts even more when we could have just re-signed Gaines for Vontae's deal and had a CB who plays 8 games instead of zero.

The total rebuild makes zero sense if we are the fifth oldest team in the league.

We likely aren't any more after cutting Kerley and Adolphus this week but still.

Methinks that getting rid of a bunch of players last year and still making the playoffs gave a false sense of security to McBeane this year, because they git rid of a bunch more and their replacements are not getting the job done.

I think the defense will rebound this week, and that Star and Murphy may still prove to be solid players this year. Key word: May. But their offense is a disaster. Hopefully Josh can bail them out. If he can, we have a stud. It doesn't seem likely.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

1. our OL can't block

2.  our tight ends are better receivers than our wideouts, can do more blocking than our wideouts

3.  look for 2 and 3 TE sets

Increased use of tight ends will help with both run game and passing game, increase JA's protection, and makes JAG Kerley superfluous

I am waiting to see McDs built defense get lit for another 40 plus 

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Ok lets for example say Yes The 10M dollar man, Rookie and Kyle cannot split up an additional 12 sanps. 

Why a WR over say Lacy, Dimarco or even Holmes (only played 16% last week compared to Kerley 66%)?

I heard an explanation that possibly Kerley fit more in a Peterman lead offense where Foster and Ray Ray fit better with Allen as vertical threats.  It at least sounded like a reasonable explanation to consider.  

23 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

its a place holder year.  With 50 million of dead cap, the roster is going to be crap.  But it will be rolled over completely next year with virtually no dead cap and a franchise qB in Josh Allen to build around. 

At the rate McDermott and Beane are creating holes and piling up dead cap space, there won't be enough FAs available to fill even half of them ... and that will just be on the defense.   Allen will just have to wait ...

19 minutes ago, Mike in Syracuse said:

To me this says that there's something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about.     These decisions aren't made impulsively so clearly there's more tan we know about.

It all very S-I-M-P-L-E.  McDermott and Beane are clueless when it comes to talent evaluation and personnel management and are throwing excrement at the wall to see what sticks.

• Like (+1) 1

Can’t get past how stupid this appears. Cut Adolphus, then cut Kerley to promote a nobody to replace Washington. Starting our highly priced and prize rookie QB, while stripping away his 2nd best veteran WR.

UNLESS...

dez?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BringBackOrton said:

Smart money says that Kerley told McD he wasn't gonna get his head taken off at 30 to win 3 games this year.

I bet there is some of that for sure.
 And or he was truly traumatized playing his first Game with Buffalo Bills and the QBs.
it was that ugly

5 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I heard an explanation that possibly Kerley fit more in a Peterman lead offense where Foster and Ray Ray fit better with Allen as vertical threats.  It at least sounded like a reasonable explanation to consider.  

Even if that could be an explanation. How is Ray Rays knee?  Depth is kinda needed right?  So why cut a WR that played 60 percent plus over one that was 16?  

Or why over a FB that played 2 snaps

Or Lacy?

Or Newhouse

or McDermott

not to mention why cant your 10M DT assume an extra 4-5 snaps?

Edited by MAJBobby

1 minute ago, White Linen said:

Foster maybe. Not Ray Ray. He is more of a shifty, quicker than he is fast guy, that will play the slot and line up in the backfield, and you just want to get the ball in his hands because one cut and he could break one. Not really known as a speed or deep threat guy. I like Ray Ray though. Kerley may also be back in a week or two if no one claims him.

Are the Patriots now signing black former Bills receivers now, too, or was Coleman a one off?

1 hour ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

You have me there, that is a Castillo thing. I bet Teller is coming.

yep. but hope they don't have to rush him in mid game. I also see Teller in the future state.

Edited by 3rdand12

6 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Maybe but my fear is that if he tries to go vertical behind this line he's more likely to wind up horizontal.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, stevewin said:

I agree - I think we are going to see a lot more of Croom as the season goes on.

I also believe this move was to roll with Ray-Ray and Foster - two younger guys that Allen has a connection with.  When I was at camp Foster was the only receiver who really stood out to me - I think the angst over his terrible hands is a little overblown - I think he figures it out.  Also I still never got over how tiny Kerley was.

Good post.

Kerley is the size of a gadget player who doesnt gadget.

19 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Because we created dead cap while shedding talent.

Frankly are we better with star and dareus dead money, or dareus for another year and signing a player now? That’s 20m in cap hit at DT. 

Maybe throw vontaes money and stars money at a good CB and settle for dareus, for instance. 

Likewise, should we have just signed a $5m a year wr instead of Coleman/kerley? 

Tyrod and McCarron combine for 10m in dead space but we are blessed with peterman as a backup. 

Trent Murphy was just a bad signing. 

We couldve walked into next year generally every bit as able to make moves freely without inflicting so much pain on this year’s 53

Spot on.

Regarding your last sentence, I feel a lot of it has to do with one regime wanting to rid itself of the former regime's players as soon as possible (Kerley aside)

Edited by bobobonators
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Kerley’s entire $960,000 salary was guaranteed when he broke the season on the active roster

Are the Bills actively TRYING to bring in players for a few months, pay them, then let them go?

Exactly my question. 

It frustrates me when people allude to our massive dead cap hit as a reason the Bills couldn't, just COULDN'T, bring in better OL or WR talent - but the Bills are acting as though $4.6M in dead cap for two released WR (one of whom we're now paying to play for a division rival) is just chump change. 

Mike Pouncey's base salary with San Diego is $5M.  If we manage to "push him around" on Sunday I'll stand down on this point.

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, dabills21 said:

Not sure why everyone is surprised by this....

1. we just cut a Dt earlier in the week, and need 4 to rotate

2. Kerley isn't head and shoulders above Ray Ray or Foster, and only signed a 1yr deal

3. this gives our younger WRs an opportunity to probe themselves (keep in mind this is a rebuild year)

????????

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Exactly my question. 

It frustrates me when people allude to our massive dead cap hit as a reason the Bills couldn't, just COULDN'T, bring in better OL or WR talent - but the Bills are acting as though $4.6M in dead cap for two released WR (one of whom we're now paying to play for a division rival) is just chump change. 

Mike Pouncey's base salary with San Diego is $5M.  If we manage to "push him around" on Sunday I'll stand down on this point.

So much head scratching, I need to change shampoo.

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:
2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I don't see why they did this but to say they don't plan seems silly.  You just don't like their plan

Yes, they either have no plan or the one they have isn’t well thought out...how is that?

if they didn’t like Kerley all that much, I wish they would have kept Streater.

It's obvious to me that they're just flying by the seat of their process.

7 minutes ago, White Linen said:

It's not funny

What's not funny is an NFL HC selecting players to acquire or get rid of based on factors that are irrelevant to how someone plays football, and there is absolutely nothing more irrelevant than players' religious beliefs -- or lack of same.  I don't know if McDermott is doing that, but he seems to be intolerant of players who don't fit his narrow parameters for acceptable attitudes and behavior regardless of their on-field play.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Foster maybe. Not Ray Ray. He is more of a shifty, quicker than he is fast guy, that will play the slot and line up in the backfield, and you just want to get the ball in his hands because one cut and he could break one. Not really known as a speed or deep threat guy. I like Ray Ray though. Kerley may also be back in a week or two if no one claims him.

Are the Patriots now signing black former Bills receivers now, too, or was Coleman a one off?

I think it's productive to at least try and understand why.  There is a reason they made the decision other than they're stupid.  

I'm interested in trying to figure out why they came to this decision vs trying to agree or disagree with it.  On the surface it doesn't make sense,  I get that, but they're intelligent people that sat down and discussed this.  

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

What's not funny is an NFL HC selecting players to acquire or get rid of based on factors that are irrelevant to how someone plays football, and there is absolutely nothing more irrelevant than players' religious beliefs -- or lack of same.  I don't know if McDermott is doing that, but he seems to be intolerant of players who don't fit his narrow parameters for acceptable attitudes and behavior regardless of their on-field play.

Its Dicky J all over again 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

How does Benjamin fit into his narrow parameters?

1 minute ago, White Linen said:

I think it's productive to at least try and understand why.  There is a reason they made the decision other than they're stupid.  

I'm interested in trying to figure out why they came to this decision vs trying to agree or disagree with it.  On the surface it doesn't make sense,  I get that, but they're intelligent people that sat down and discussed this.  

Maybe if he was a little more open with the media instead of “Its the process” “I dont need to elaborate” people could come up with why he came to a decision other than he is clueless 

Just now, Cripple Creek said:

How does Benjamin fit into his narrow parameters?

Carolina Player. See how easy that was 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Maybe if he was a little more open with the media instead of “Its the process” “I dont need to elaborate” people could come up with why he came to a decision other than he is clueless 

Forgive me for trying to look beyond that it's just because he's stupid.  That wouldn't make sense to you, would it?