What I would do.

Dkollidas

1. Start Allen:

It’s clear they should’ve either kept McCarron or had a more veteran QB behind Allen (Matt Moore is an example). But this isn’t really a possibility. Sure they could bring in a 3rd guy. A veteran to stand behind Allen. But they won’t be able to learn the offense and play. So let him play and take his lumps.

2. Sign one or two Offensive Linemen:

Jahri Evans & Alex Boone are still out there. Veterans who might be past their primes, but I’d cut guys like Miller or Ducasse or Newhouse to do it. Give them a week or so to adjust to the scheme and go from there. 

3. Ray-ray: 

If he’s healthy give him some time on the field. He seemed to show solid hands and good chemistry with Allen in pre-season. I know he’s not a burner, but he’s probably the closest thing we’ve got.

4. Murphy:

start mixing him into the playbook more. Sets with him and Shady on the field together. He’s shown some ability and it needs to be used. 

5. Vontae: just play him. He shouldn’t be healthy scratched. They play 4 corners he should be one of them. He’s been a player in this league for a long time and that means something. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, PearlHowardman said:

1.  Watch college football.

2.  Enjoy late summer/autumn outdoor activities.

3.  Look forward to Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas/New Year.

4.  2019 NFL draft.

:mellow:

Alabama looking dominant again.  It's one of the things that makes being a Bills fan (which I was for 20 years before going to grad school at Alabama) so difficult.  Leadership and organizational effectiveness are things that Alabama has in excess and the bills are completely lacking

15 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I am stunned they haven't brought another O lineman in.  But they do know these guys more than we do.

My other question is why Lee was not dressed Sunday.  They must know our O line is weak, so why is your best blocking TE sitting?

I remember last year when everyone was saying we were tanking the year. Personally, I think you sit your best blocking TE because you're tanking this year. It's the best explanation I can come up with for having such a poor supporting cast. The Oline is terrible, the receivers are just bad beyond Benjamin and he's not even that great. Once we lost Woods and Incognito  I think the FO knew they were screwed and said f-it. The defensive line other than Kyle is nearing pathetic, and our Linebackers are not good except for Edmunds and Milano. Unless this team starts to "gel" and get on the same page as a team, it's going to be a long season.

We are under a complete rebuild and turnover.

Think Shawshank.

We are just entering the pipe. 500 feet to go, and it won't be pleasant. Next year, we come out dead money clean on the other side.

Its going to be ugly this year, but may end with Nick Bosa, cash to spend to buy O line talent, and prime picks. 

I do believe we have our long awaited answer at QB with Allen. It starts with that...

Edited by George C
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, George C said:

Think Shawshank.

We are just entering the pipe. 500 feet to go, and it won't be pleasant. Next year, we come out dead money clean on the other side.

Its going to be ugly this year, but may end with Nick Bosa, cash to spend to buy O line talent, and prime picks. 

I do believe we have our long awaited answer at QB with Allen. It starts with that...

Everyone keeps saying we have all this money next year but have you seen the FA WR crop? It's very weak we were better off signing a guy this past offseason and going that route. Randall Cobb and Golden Tate are basically it and I would bet they resign with their current teams before hitting the market. Just because you clean the deck and gain space does not promise improvements on the renovation.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Everyone keeps saying we have all this money next year but have you seen the FA WR crop? It's very weak we were better off signing a guy this past offseason and going that route. Randall Cobb and Golden Tate are basically it and I would bet they resign with their current teams before hitting the market. Just because you clean the deck and gain space does not promise improvements on the renovation.

Tavon Austin and Sammie Coates might be a good fit. Both are young and have some speed. 

7 minutes ago, corta765 said:

+1

:doh:

1 hour ago, George C said:

Think Shawshank.

Some of that dead money this year (and next) was self inflicted by this regime. Here’s to total list:

Name Cap Number
Marcell Dareus $13,564,705
Eric Wood $10,391,668
Cordy Glenn $9,600,000
Tyrod Taylor $7,640,000
Corey Coleman $3,548,860
Aaron Williams $2,425,000
AJ McCarron $2,100,000
Reggie Ragland $1,224,134
Richie Incognito $1,150,000
Ronald Darby $395,853
Colton Schmidt $200,000
Cardale Jones $191,696
Jonathan Williams $120,458
TOTAL $53,082,645

Name Cap Number
AJ McCarron $2,000,000
TOTAL $2,183,295

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/buffalo-bills

Approximately $17.25M in dead cap is from glenn, McCarron and Coleman.  Trading away a guy that we could sure still use in Glenn and $7.65M for two guys that don’t make the team is poor GMing. 

1 hour ago, George C said:

Think Shawshank.

Nick Bosa will be a beast- I wouldnt have a problem taking him number 1 overall.

8 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

2. Sign one or two Offensive Linemen:

Jahri Evans & Alex Boone are still out there. Veterans who might be past their primes, but I’d cut guys like Miller or Ducasse or Newhouse to do it. Give them a week or so to adjust to the scheme and go from there. 

A couple reasons why the OL you are pining for are still out there...

1 - They want more money than they are worth.

or 

2 - They can't play any more.

What I would do is cut Peterman, he has had his chance and for some reason just can't carry over his Practice/preseason performance to game day. Go all in with Allen, he is our future no denying it, so might as well have the philosophy that today is the first day of the rest of our life. With the slot that Peterman's release gives us sign a "graybeard" QB that can "mentor" Allen. As much as I USED to like Peterman (and agreed with bringing in A.J.) that QB room left a lot to be desired as far as nurturing the maturation of a rookie QB. The QB room would have been fine if either Nate or A.J. proved a competent QB and gave Josh the luxury of sitting on the bench soaking in the knowledge … but as it stands I shudder at the prospect of Josh trotting off the field after a bad series and having to rely on Peterman for advice as to what he should have done or what he should be looking at.

My candidate for our QB "graybeard" would be Derek Anderson …. not because I think he may be good, but because he's been around the block, and I'd be much more comfortable with him substituting for a game or two if (heaven forbid) Allen gets dinged up a bit.

Secondly, I'd STOP trying to upgrade our personnel on defense … tell Frazier that we've spent all season upgrading talent on his side of the ball, either  figure out how to stop the run and field a pass defense that could stop a DII college, or we will find a coordinator who can.

Thirdly, scour the waiver wire … hell scour the local bars … maybe even the homeless shelters … to find upgrades for our O-line. If the Bills brain trust REALLY believes we have ANY talent on our O-line than they need to fire the O-line coach. I'd almost bet dollars to doughnuts that the extent of Castillo's coaching skills are to tell his linemen … "you're big fat guys, try and get in somebody's way out there". 

Edited by macaroni

3 hours ago, PearlHowardman said:

1.  Watch college football.

2.  Enjoy late summer/autumn outdoor activities.

3.  Look forward to Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas/New Year.

4.  2019 NFL draft.

:mellow:

Celebrating my birthday on Halloween ??

Going into this season, meaning before the first game, the plan was to sit Allen, all year.

They thought Peterman, and AJ, the OLine, and WR's would be adequate to get us through the season.

They knew this OLine was gonna suck, but they had "quick release" Peterman in there, so even if he got banged up a bit,

they could bring in AJ and keep Allen out of harms way. They never planned on starting Allen this year.

Then next year, we draft and sign a real OLine, and start Allen.

They may very well continue this plan, since they haven't named the starter for game 2 yet.

They just need to find another stiff to bring in when Peterman pees himself.

Don't be surprised to see EJ or Joe Webb back in a Bills uniform, soon.

We're gonna keep our new car in the garage this year.

They don't give a damn about making the playoffs this year.

3 hours ago, dorquemada said:

Alabama looking dominant again.  It's one of the things that makes being a Bills fan (which I was for 20 years before going to grad school at Alabama) so difficult.  Leadership and organizational effectiveness are things that Alabama has in excess and the bills are completely lacking

The Bills are also lacking Arkansas St, Louisiana St and The Citadel on their schedule...

3 hours ago, corta765 said:

You guys act like this is going to be turned around with just a bunch of free agent signings and draft next year. It won't. In fact, I see us signing a bunch of 1-year deals next year with veteran guys who bounce around because you have to spend so much of your cap. What the dead money being gone does, is allows you to go out and get a high priced free agent if one becomes available, whether that's next year or the following year. 

2 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

You guys act like this is going to be turned around with just a bunch of free agent signings and draft next year. It won't.

Some guys seem to think there's way to turn it around THIS year............by signing a few FA's and starting Allen............good grief !

36 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

You guys act like this is going to be turned around with just a bunch of free agent signings and draft next year. It won't. In fact, I see us signing a bunch of 1-year deals next year with veteran guys who bounce around because you have to spend so much of your cap. What the dead money being gone does, is allows you to go out and get a high priced free agent if one becomes available, whether that's next year or the following year. 

I never said that, but the team has only removed WR's and OL of talent and not brought any in for the QB. Yea they could wait another year to add talent like they have, but they need to give Allen help asap. You will not know what you have until the guy has some pieces to work with. I'd rather know by 2020 not 2022 because the Bills waited so dang long to put anything around him and we kept saying it's hard to judge what he has without a roster.

This year very much looks like a 3-13 type year and expectations next year shouldn't be much higher even if they do add talent. But people keep acting in this prism that the Bills had to wait until 2019 FA or later same with the draft to add pieces on the offense which I don't understand. Would the Bills have been any worse off long term adding for example John Brown & Justin Pugh which would've given some true depth and talent at OL/WR? The offense has literally added one true piece of talent in the last 2 years with Kelvin Benjamin who looks over his head at WR1. Yes they have Shady and Clay also but they have bled talent for years at WR and this last year OL. That makes it incredibly difficult to judge Allen regardless of how well he plays and pushes the buck further down the road.

Edited by corta765

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

I never said that, but the team has only removed WR's and OL of talent and not brought any in for the QB. Yea they could wait another year to add talent like they have, but they need to give Allen help asap. You will not know what you have until the guy has some pieces to work with. I'd rather know by 2020 not 2022 because the Bills waited so dang long to put anything around him and we kept saying it's hard to judge what he has without a roster.

This year very much looks like a 3-13 type year and expectations next year shouldn't be much higher even if they do add talent. But people keep acting in this prism that the Bills had to wait until 2019 FA or later same with the draft to add pieces on the offense which I don't understand. Would the Bills have been any worse off long term adding for example John Brown & Justin Pugh which would've given some true depth and talent at OL/WR? The offense has literally added one true piece of talent in the last 2 years with Kelvin Benjamin who looks over his head at WR1. Yes they have Shady and Clay also but they have bled talent for years at WR and this last year OL. That makes it incredibly difficult to judge Allen regardless of how well he plays and pushes the buck further down the road.

He said we offered him a contract but turned it down

• Like (+1) 1

Everyone screamed "Blow it up! Rebuild from top to bottom!" Now that they got their wish, all you can hear is"OMG! They blew it up! Fire everyone!"

Newsflash! The only talent still available is the dumpster dive variety. The cavalry is not coming.

We're rebuilding the roster from top to bottom. We'll need another year. Stop complaining. It won't help anything.

Edited by GreggTX