Positives from ugly loss?

berg1029

This year is all about evaluting and seeing improvement from the young guys. Good news is Allen has to be the starter moving forward.

Allen made some decent throws. Edmunds caused a fumble and made a few decent plays. Milano looked ok along with White. Oline looks like garbage but Dawkins seemed to do ok.

Run defense was better and I really don't get the hate for star. He did his job today and wasn't the reason we gave up 40 plus points. 

Oh and the punter did good minus that one punt.

Defensive secondary coach needs replaced ASAP.  We look to get the first pick in the 2019 draft that we can use to trade back & pick up more draft picks with.  In no world is turnstile Ducasse a starting NFL lineman, he can run block sometimes but his pass protection is not starting NFL caliber - what are the coaches looking at to put him in?  

KB-13 is a huge disappointment.   Also, why are our WRs trotting around out there instead of running fast like true professionals? 

Come on Buffalo - 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah,  I mean we maybe saw glimpses of potential improvement early but one thing never fails........when a team is getting outplayed and outcoached they start making business decisions.    Wasn't very long into the game and the defense was already trying to stay in front of their legs so they didn't get rolled up on and that was tacking on yardage to carry after carry in the second half.

Do you think that’s where Benjamin’s head went?

It has to be the confidence in the coaches and key players....the Pack was getting outplayed and out coached the first half right now, saw their QB carted off the field, and yeah.

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Do you think that’s where Benjamin’s head went?

It has to be the confidence in the coaches and key players....the Pack was getting outplayed and out coached the first half right now, saw their QB carted off the field, and yeah.

Yeah I think Benjamin got discouraged and started coasting.   He was talking about how the team could win every game this week. ?

He was just never going to be open though.    We needed to just understand that.   I think I said earlier this week he'd end up getting over 120 totally covered targets this year.

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah I think Benjamin got discouraged and started coasting.   He was talking about how the team could win every game this week. ?

He was just never going to be open though.    We needed to just understand that.   I think I said earlier this week he'd end up getting over 120 totally covered targets this year.

I get it he’s not going to show the separation we’d like to see, I just want to see him make the catches that hit or come within inches of his hands.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I get it he’s not going to show the separation we’d like to see, I just want to see him make the catches that hit or come within inches of his hands.

He was bad in a lot of ways. He rarely gets separation. He dropped one on a lob he should have caught. He loafed a couple times. The one TD from Josh he just dropped. It wasn't a lack of effort. 

1 hour ago, berg1029 said:

Okay, there were obviously a lot of negatives from the game.  But what about the few things that they actually did right?

From my point of view:

• Run defense looked improved
  • Tremaine Edmunds looked sharp from what I could see.  He made a few plays
  • Marcus Murphy returning kickoffs looked dangerous
  • Bojorquez (spelling?) seemed to do a decent job punting

Anything else?

Allen will start.

Star is not great.

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think he's gotten used to catching decent throws from Nate and then Nate had no command whatsoever today.   KB dropped a back shoulder throw early.......but the throw was about 5 feet further toward the hash than it should have been and put the CB back into the play.   Yeah, he could have caught it but Nate was just horrendous.    After the score got out of hand KB showed his lack of mental toughness not fighting for throws but early the throws were just awful.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He was bad in a lot of ways. He rarely gets separation. He dropped one on a lob he should have caught. He loafed a couple times. The one TD from Josh he just dropped. It wasn't a lack of effort. 

It’s a lack of something to drop so many catchable balls.  If you don’t want to call it effort, what would you call it?

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think he's gotten used to catching decent throws from Nate and then Nate had no command whatsoever today.   KB dropped a back shoulder throw early.......but the throw was about 5 feet further toward the hash than it should have been and put the CB back into the play.   Yeah, he could have caught it but Nate was just horrendous.    After the score got out of hand KB showed his lack of mental toughness not fighting for throws but early the throws were just awful.

OK, lack of mental toughness, I’ll buy that.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It’s a lack of something to drop so many catchable balls.  If you don’t want to call it effort, what would you call it?

I just meant he seem disinterested at times when Nate was in. No excuse whatsoever. But the Josh pass he had 100% effort and he just dropped it. No excuse for that either. But right after you could see he was pissed he didn't catch it. That wasn't a disinterested or loafing play, which is worse. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, berg1029 said:

Okay, there were obviously a lot of negatives from the game.  But what about the few things that they actually did right?

From my point of view:

• Run defense looked improved
  • Tremaine Edmunds looked sharp from what I could see.  He made a few plays
  • Marcus Murphy returning kickoffs looked dangerous
  • Bojorquez (spelling?) seemed to do a decent job punting

Anything else?

Edmunds 

Murphy

Bojo

That's it

Question was definitively answered. Is it Tyrod's fault or was it crappy OC's and practice squad WRs.

Tyrod effectively beat the Steelers today on his first day as  a CLEVELAND BROWN. Let that sink in.

So, without looking backwards too much, that question is settled.

Use the 2019 salary cap $ on:

- a real OC

- NFL WRs

- O Line

JTFC This has never been that hard.

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

Peterman was so bad that it may have finally ended the McBeane obsession with this guy?... right....RIGHT??

I don't think so!  I really do think there's a very good chance Peterman starts Game 2.

The only positive to come from a game like this is no one suffered an important, bad injury, at least that I'm aware of.

The punter was fantastic, too, despite never doing this sort of thing before.

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The positive is the change at QB that today forced.

I honestly am optimistic about our season still. Peterman being so awful forced this change before we fell too much in the hole.

I think the play of the entire team will get better when Allen is the starter :thumbsup:

Yeah but that's not a done deal.  At least not yet.

The ego of McDermott will make it very difficult to start Allen in Week 2.

8 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Yeah but that's not a done deal.  At least not yet.

The ego of McDermott will make it very difficult to start Allen in Week 2.

What the hell does he tell his players at this point?

I think you're right that he's going to be searching for an acceptable reason to start Peterman again.

Is there one?

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I think you're right that he's going to be searching for an acceptable reason to start Peterman again.

Is there one?

The Chargers would never for a second believe it and be completely taken by shock and awe?

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Is there one?

I don't think there is a good reason to start Peterman, no.

I have said all off-season to start Allen from Game 1, even if he is not 100% ready.  

I don't know what he tells the players, but he can probably get them to buy in 1 more time.

Another Peterman disaster and I don't think he could start him a THIRD time.

2 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I have said all off-season to start Allen from Game 1, even if he is not 100% ready.  

I don't know what he tells the players, but he can probably get them to buy in 1 more time.

I know what you meant but he's already had two disasters. This week would be the third time. I think McD would like to start Nate one more time but he may lose his team. That may be the reason he goes with the only logical choice, which is Allen. 

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I know what you meant but he's already had two disasters. This week would be the third time. I think McD would like to start Nate one more time but he may lose his team. That may be the reason he goes with the only logical choice, which is Allen. 

It could go that way.

I think we'll find out tomorrow.

He needs to declare one guy or the other the starter and start building support behind that guy right away.

2 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

It could go that way.

I think we'll find out tomorrow.

He needs to declare one guy or the other the starter and start building support behind that guy right away.

And how exactly do you build support for NP? I think the whole team mostly gave up early in the second quarter. 

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

And how exactly do you build support for NP? I think the whole team mostly gave up early in the second quarter. 

Just tell them it could of been worse he could of had 5 picks...no wait they're playing the Chargers next week probably shouldn't bring that up.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Peterman starting again is already ruining my sleep cycle.

O Line did better than I expected.

Allen threw a couple nice bullets.

We witnessed history, because in 50 years when someone starts a poll on TSW asking who the worst QB in Bills history is, Peterman will be the first unanimous choice, ever and at last, everyone on the board will agree on something.

I thought Shaq Lawson wasn't invisible as he has been in the past.  Nice to see the surgery to remove the cinder blocks from Zay's hands was successful.  Another positive is that, the coaching staff now knows that about 6-7 players do not know how to fall straight down on top of a ball.  Got to work on that. 

Edited by Irv

6 hours ago, Jaraxxus said:

Billy Joe Hobert.

this isn’t to say peterman wasn’t awful. But I’m sure he at least read the playbook.

Give him a break.  Billy Joe Holbert couldn't read.  They don't teach that at U of Washington.