This team looks scary bad

Niagara Dude

9 minutes ago, Dr. Fong said:

Without a doubt. Nathan Peterman is the worst starting QB in Bills history.

No need to apologize for being young, or alternatively for being a relative newcomer to Bills fandom. But I feel I must introduce you to Gary Marangi.

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=schatz/050812&num=3

1. Gary Marangi, 1976 Buffalo Bills (2-12)
Actual stats: 11 G, 82-for-232, 35.3%, 998 yards, 7 TD, 16 INT
2004 projection: 13 G, 135-for-335, 40.3%, 1,513 yards, 10 TD, 15 INT

But this guy was worse. Marangi managed to lead the Bills to eight straight losses despite the presence of NFL rushing champion Simpson. The 1976 Bills were 2-4 through six games even though veteran Joe Ferguson was having a strong season (9 TDs, only 1 INT). When Ferguson was lost for the year with an injury in Week 7, third-year backup Marangi took over and put on the worst passing performance in NFL history -- so bad that this ranks as the worst quarterback season ever, even though Marangi had positive value when he ran with the ball (230 yards on 39 carries with two TDs).

Marangi managed a handful of touchdowns because Simpson's legs kept putting the Bills into good field position, but check out that completion percentage. Marangi is the only quarterback in history who, even after adjusting to the friendly 2004 offensive environment, ends up with a completion percentage below 45 percent. The 1976 Bills ended up 2-12, and no game tells the story of this season like their Thanksgiving matchup with Detroit. Simpson broke his own NFL rushing record with 273 yards, but Marangi passed for just 15 yards and the Lions beat the Bills 27-14.

Peterman has been worse, no doubt, than anyone else who's played a total of about 2 games of football. But there's something to putting together a sustained period of awful performance. If you want to go down in history as one of the worst ever, quite frankly you can't be as bad as Nate Peterman because you'll never hit that half a dozen (or so) starts threshhold that you need to truly enter into the pantheon of horsecrap. 

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Whaley was a pretty good GM IMO. He has had some offers. FWIW, he can go back to the Steelers at any point. They think very highly of him. He added talent. Whaley’s mistake was that he didn’t cross all of his “t’s” and dot all of his “I’s.” His biggest mistake as a GM was not having an out in the Dareus contract. There had to be some recourse if he was suspended (again). 

That was beyond his control.  Jim Overdorf had complete control of contracts.  Beane was told he had the choice of keeping him or letting him go and choose to keep him and use him as resource but at his option.

25 minutes ago, Dr. Fong said:

Without a doubt. Nathan Peterman is the worst starting QB in Bills history.

Worst than Billy Joe who did not read playbook? No.  

"Exaggeration is a tool of those unarmed in the battle of wits" my debate teacher taught me.

33 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

Tre, Dion and Milano all look to be good picks. Jones is a question mark, and peterman and Tanner were misses. That’s not a bad draft. You are right that the pro scouts look dubious, but it also seems like they were trying to find hidden gems in the discount bin. 

i think their pro player evaluator may need to be replaced.

Greatest day in Bills history since they acquired Jim Kelly and/or Bruce Smith.

Today was the total wake-up call to all the Tyrod haters that it wasn't Tyrod's fault. No Tyrod-led team ever got this embarrassed on O. Ever. We were always pretty much in it.

As a Tyrod supporter, I can concede he might have not been the QB that leads one to the Super Bowl victory...

All said, he was, for all 3 seasons, surrounded by ****ty OCs and practice squad WR. There were star WR but they never stayed heathy.  TT did - when they did, the Bills O excelled.

Today, we had a ****ty college OC, and practice squad WRs, and an even shittier OL.

Not sure what process we are supposed to trust on the side of the ball. The Ravens - a good D - had never held anyone too first downs in the first half - ever.

This is an 0-16 team if there ever was one. The Ravens are really not that good. Tyrod covered up for so much fail on the O side of the ball. Today you saw what it's like to ignore that side of the ball and blame it on a QB you didn't want to pay. Same dude tied the Steelers in his first game as  BROWN. Let the sink in.

I'm a Bills fan first but always outed myself as a Tyrod guy here. Also not a rear view mirror guy. Windshield.

Huge salary cap and draft opportunities coming in 2019. Gotta get a [real] OC first, OL second WR third.

We are pathetic on that side of the ball and have been forever - Tyrod was just good enough to cover it all up. Anyone that argues that is ignoring today and the other time Peterman started,

Obvious AF. You don't have TT to kick around any more.

WAKE. t. F. UP !

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, moshermw said:

Greatest day in Bills history since they acquired Jim Kelly and/or Bruce Smith.

Today was the total wake-up call to all the Tyrod haters that it wasn't Tyrod's fault. No Tyrod-led team ever got this embarrassed on O. Ever. We were always pretty much in it.

As a Tyrod supporter, I can concede he might have not been the QB that leads one to the Super Bowl victory...

All said, he was, for all 3 seasons, surrounded by ****ty OCs and practice squad WR. There were star WR but they never stayed heathy.  TT did - when they did, the Bills O excelled.

Today, we had a ****ty college OC, and practice squad WRs, and an even shittier OL.

Not sure what process we are supposed to trust on the side of the ball. The Ravens - a good D - had never held anyone too first downs in the first half - ever.

This is an 0-16 team if there ever was one. The Ravens are really not that good. Tyrod covered up for so much fail on the O side of the ball. Today you saw what it's like to ignore that side of the ball and blame it on a QB you didn't want to pay. Same dude tied the Steelers in his first game as  BROWN. Let the sink in.

I'm a Bills fan first but always outed myself as a Tyrod guy here. Also not a rear view mirror guy. Windshield.

Huge salary cap and draft opportunities coming in 2019. Gotta get a [real] OC first, OL second WR third.

We are pathetic on that side of the ball and have been forever - Tyrod was just good enough to cover it all up. Anyone that argues that is ignoring today and the other time Peterman started,

Obvious AF. You don't have TT to kick around any more.

WAKE. t. F. UP !

I didn't watch most of that game, but Tyrod lost 47-10 to the Saints last year at home and threw for 56 yards

The problem wasn't moving on from tyrod, it was doing so in a summer where so many QBs changed hands but winding up using Peterman

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, arcane said:

I didn't watch most of that game, but Tyrod lost 47-10 to the Saints last year at home and threw for 56 yards

The problem wasn't moving on from tyrod, it was doing so in a summer where so many QBs changed hands but winding up using Peterman

Point I was making.

TT had a really bad game that day vs the Saints. With practice squad WRs and No OC,. This is my point. He did on the other hand lead the Bills to the first playoff berth in 17 years - with help - but did enough - even with that WR corp and OC. Imagine what he could have done with a real NFL OC and real WRs - like today - he tied the Steelers in his first reg season game as a BROWN! You think Peterman or Josh could do that ?

Just sayin that today exposed Peterman and the lack of attention to the O side of the ball which was formerly blamed on TT.

Gone now. Own it. And frack all TT haters.

3 minutes ago, moshermw said:

Point I was making.

TT had a really bad game that day vs the Saints. With practice squad WRs and No OC,. This is my point. He did on the other hand lead the Bills to the first playoff berth in 17 years - with help - but did enough - even with that WR corp and OC. Imagine what he could have done with a real NFL OC and real WRs - like today - he tied the Steelers in his first reg season game as a BROWN! You think Peterman or Josh could do that ?

Just sayin that today exposed Peterman and the lack of attention to the O side of the ball which was formerly blamed on TT.

Gone now. Own it. And frack all TT haters.

I like TT, will forever have fond memories of him as the best qb of my fanhood (since 2004) and the guy that ended the drought, and think Peterman is the worst QB I've ever seen. But your whole point and original take I was quoting just looks weird as hell. 

TT's 35% completion and 100 yards through 4 quarters today would not have carried over and looked meaningfully different in the rain on this team against guys like Weddle

6 minutes ago, arcane said:

I like TT, will forever have fond memories of him as the best qb of my fanhood (since 2004) and the guy that ended the drought, and think Peterman is the worst QB I've ever seen. But your whole point and original take I was quoting just looks weird as hell. 

TT's 35% completion and 100 yards through 4 quarters today would not have carried over and looked meaningfully different in the rain on this team against guys like Weddle

My points today are 25 % EFF TT haters and 75 % can we finally admit we need elite offensive coaching and real WR.

The 75% is so obvious it hurts. TT was very good, worked his arse off and covered it up by his play.

Today there can be no doubt that just the QB can't do it all - TT did enough - with a very good D - to get the Bills to the playoffs - Josh nor Peterman can do that.

Use the resources coming our way to get:

- a real OC (Roman, Lynne, our college guy now ain't it)

- Real WRs

- real OL

Can no longer blame it on TT.

Its just kind of bizarre to not really address the oline after the departures of wood, cogs, and glenn. i mean why did they even go to cogs about a paycut??! the dude had a probowl year.

You cant reasonably expect a 5th round pick and bodine to realistically cover those holes can you?

idk. i dont get it. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Its just kind of bizarre to not really address the oline after the departures of wood, cogs, and glenn. i mean why did they even go to cogs about a paycut??! the dude had a probowl year.

You cant reasonably expect a 5th round pick and bodine to realistically cover those holes can you?

idk. i dont get it. 

Only thing I can guess with the incognito pay cut is they saw him unraveling before we did. If not, no excuse for that move. Wood? Out of their hands. Glenn was on the sideline most games last year anyways; hindsight I would have still kept him around.

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Whaley was a pretty good GM IMO. He has had some offers. FWIW, he can go back to the Steelers at any point. They think very highly of him. He added talent. Whaley’s mistake was that he didn’t cross all of his “t’s” and dot all of his “I’s.” His biggest mistake as a GM was not having an out in the Dareus contract. There had to be some recourse if he was suspended (again). 

And the fact that basically 3 Head Coaches fell out with him. That eventually has to come down to him in some regard. But generally you and I are on the same page on Whaley. I look at that 2015 roster.... and then I look at this. No comparison.

Beane better hope Allen and Edmunds are stars and then that he uses his capital next year more effectively. Because as much as Terry likes this regime he won't stand for many more embarrassments like last night. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Didn't those same "experts" also say we were going to tank last season?

Last season is just that....Last season.  All you need do is listen to the words of our very own HC and GM to understand they are remaking the roster with the need for many more quality players before the team contends for the playoffs and championships on a perennial basis. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Believe me McDermott and Beane will be mightily concerned by what they saw yesterday. I think they expected a step back this season. I think they expected the team to lose more games and I think they absolutely knew that there were some big gaps on the roster. I don't think they expected to the THAT bad and their FA class that was supposed to at least represent some short term help - Davis, Ivory and Murphy particularly, Lotulelei I think was supposed to be part of the longer term solution - ended up not dressed, 3rd string back and an obviously injured pass rusher who couldn't push off.

When you look at this team at the moment and ask how many of these guys would start for more than 1 or 2 other equally bad teams the list you are left with is: McCoy, Dawkins, White, Edmunds, Poyer, Hyde and then maybe and I mean maybe Hughes and Milano. That is just not enough. 8 out of 22 starters who look up to being genuine NFL starters. That is too many holes and the sticking plasters yesterday just did not work. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Looks to me like the Tide would give this Bills team a run for their money

Just let that sink in while I wipe the tears from my eyes.

Any of those top college programmes - Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State, Oklahoma..... they'd all give this Bills team a run for their money. Many of them have more talent on their roster than we do presently.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, arcane said:

The problem is McDermott and Beane being incompetent to have control of personnel matters.  I have no problem with McDermott as coach, but to give a first time NFL HC control over player personnel is stupid (ask Philly about Chip Kelly), and then hiring a first time GM without a background in pro personnel evaluation and/or management to work with said HC is a prescription for the disaster we saw yesterday .. . and likely to see next week and the week after since the Chargers are similar in ability to Baltimore, and the Vikings are a serious Super Bowl contender with a nasty D.

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Season ain't over yet, McD will make adjustments

He can't conjure a better OL, a sure-handed WR corps, and a competent QB out of thin air.   I didn't say "better than Peterman" because that's easy although that wouldn't mean he could play even minimally well, say on a level with Trent Edwards.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

And the fact that basically 3 Head Coaches fell out with him. That eventually has to come down to him in some regard. But generally you and I are on the same page on Whaley. I look at that 2015 roster.... and then I look at this. No comparison.

Beane better hope Allen and Edmunds are stars and then that he uses his capital next year more effectively. Because as much as Terry likes this regime he won't stand for many more embarrassments like last night. 

Whaley's problems with HCs is why he's no longer the Bills GM more than anything IMO.  That's on the Bills ownership, however, for the way they organized the team's power structure.    Two about equal power centers in the same organization (in the Bills' case, that would be GM and HC) is a prescription for conflict. 

I'm skeptical that the Bills are going to be able to avoid several more embarrassments no matter how good Allen and Edmunds may play this season.

Edited by SoTier

10 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

There are two reasons Whaley is not the GM anymore.  Thru no fault of his own he got his legs cut out from under him over the RR hire.  I have a couple of people inside the organization that have told that Whaley was dead set against hiring RR but was blindsided by Pegs & Rusty.  Rusty wanted the hire because he knew it would sell tickets & Pegs is just clueless when it comes to running a sports franchise.  What dysfunctional organization goes against the wishes of the GM when hiring a coach?  I could name only one team & that is the Bills.  Whaley built a strong defense that simply did not fit in RR schemes.  This was no fault of Whaley.

The second reason he is not here is he failed to land a true franchise QB.  This is his fault.  

But looking back, he was not a bad GM & he is light years ahead of team mcdipshit in identifying talent.  I am sorry but most of their personal moves these past two years have made absolutely no sense, but team Mcdipshit thinks they are smarter than everybody else.  It is not only that they jettisoned talent off this team that was not necessary, but everybody they shot out of here was young.  You just don't do that in the NFL.  Why because they questioned the process?  This team mya go down as one of the worst teams in NFL history & no I am not exaggerating.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Right and if he doesn't flash that ability Beane has a chance to save his arse by cutting his losses and drafting another QB high in the draft

Not happening.     You should distance yourself from nonsensical takes 

6 hours ago, moshermw said:

My points today are 25 % EFF TT haters and 75 % can we finally admit we need elite offensive coaching and real WR.

The 75% is so obvious it hurts. TT was very good, worked his arse off and covered it up by his play.

Today there can be no doubt that just the QB can't do it all - TT did enough - with a very good D - to get the Bills to the playoffs - Josh nor Peterman can do that.

Use the resources coming our way to get:

- a real OC (Roman, Lynne, our college guy now ain't it)

- Real WRs

- real OL

Can no longer blame it on TT.

Bills lose by 30 with TT yesterday 

He was garbage again yesterday.   Couldn’t win a game with 6 turnovers handed to him 

Edited by Teddy KGB

12 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

It was not the score (worst loss since 2007) that concerned me today but more how bad and thin of talent this BILLS team has become.  Not sure what Beane was smoking when he decided to sink big money into Murphy who looks like damaged good and DT Star who did nothing today.  Our OL is complete mess and we most likely have worst collection of WR'S in the NFL with our #1 Benjamin being useless, end of the day the roster is a freaking joke.

Is it entirely talent?  Sounds like Flacco feels the Ravens were just able to take advantage of the Bills defensive scheme.

"

2. Play-action success. Flacco hit rookie tight end Mark Andrews on an 11-yard pass for a first down two plays later. Later in the quarter, Flacco found Andrews for 12 yards on a play-action pass, and in the second quarter he found Willie Snead on a 15-yard play-action pass.

“The one thing you notice is that the style of their defense,” said Flacco, “those linebackers are just so free to attack the line of scrimmage, at least for two steps forward before they actually do get back in the pass coverage. So we really felt like we could get them sucked up and hit them in that intermediate, 10 to 15 yard range over the top of their head.”

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Is it entirely talent?  Sounds like Flacco feels the Ravens were just able to take advantage of the Bills defensive scheme.

"

2. Play-action success. Flacco hit rookie tight end Mark Andrews on an 11-yard pass for a first down two plays later. Later in the quarter, Flacco found Andrews for 12 yards on a play-action pass, and in the second quarter he found Willie Snead on a 15-yard play-action pass.

“The one thing you notice is that the style of their defense,” said Flacco, “those linebackers are just so free to attack the line of scrimmage, at least for two steps forward before they actually do get back in the pass coverage. So we really felt like we could get them sucked up and hit them in that intermediate, 10 to 15 yard range over the top of their head.”

So that's why their TE's were running free over the middle.  Suck in the LB's, throw over the top of them.  

You were check mated McDermott yesterday....what's your next move?

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Any of those top college programmes - Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State, Oklahoma..... they'd all give this Bills team a run for their money. Many of them have more talent on their roster than we do presently.

Not a hope that the greatest college team would play well against the worst NFL team 

even if it seems that way

The real question is whether the players can get better as the season progresses, and I don't see it happening. It would be great if Allen shows his talent and improves as the season progresses, but I don't think the o-line will suddenly improve since they are all veterans and many of them were not re-signed by their prior teams (Vlad, Bodine, Newhouse).  Miller and Groy are young veterans and they seem to have gotten worse.  At other positions, we do not have young, talented players waiting in the wings that just need playing time.  For example, at starting CB opposite White, we have Davis or Gaines, neither of whom should be starting with almost no depth behind them and certainly no up and coming young players.  What obviously young, talented players do we have at WR, outside LB or DE?  

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Last season is just that....Last season.  All you need do is listen to the words of our very own HC and GM to understand they are remaking the roster with the need for many more quality players before the team contends for the playoffs and championships on a perennial basis. 

Remaking the roster is one thing.  Taking a roster that can play NFL football competently (win half the time) and turning it into a roster that is historically bad, is something else.

I ack the point that one game does not equal history and that right now, our W-L record is the same as 12 other teams, but in all other regards our record is abysmal.

First downs, third down conversion %, third down conversions allowed, takeaway/giveaway, sacks - we're not just bad, we're something like 3x away from the best and 2x away from improving to mediocre.

At this point, McDermott and Beane have totally remade the roster in their image.  Yes, yes, they haven't had enough draft picks, but they've traded, and signed FAs.

There's no point in making trades and signing FAs if the guys you're bringing in are all significantly less talented than the guys you let walk in FA or trade off.

29 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If there is a positive, Edmunds was very good in the run.  Milano too.  Shooting gaps, getting in the backfield.

It sounds as though that may be a negative positive - ie, something the Ravens exploited to pass for 260 yds successfully.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

t sounds as though that may be a negative positive - ie, something the Ravens exploited to pass for 260 yds successfully.

I agree.  The over aggressiveness with our LB's crashing the line led to some easy play action passes.

As I now am recalling more of the game (mostly a blur yesterday that I want to forget), is when the LB's would drop deep in coverage.  Flacco would just throw underneath.

If it was 3rd and 7, that guy 5-6 yards in the soft zone was open with another yard or two to fall forward.

The Ravens had a counter with everything we did.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Believe me McDermott and Beane will be mightily concerned by what they saw yesterday. I think they expected a step back this season. I think they expected the team to lose more games and I think they absolutely knew that there were some big gaps on the roster. I don't think they expected to the THAT bad and their FA class that was supposed to at least represent some short term help - Davis, Ivory and Murphy particularly, Lotulelei I think was supposed to be part of the longer term solution - ended up not dressed, 3rd string back and an obviously injured pass rusher who couldn't push off.

When you look at this team at the moment and ask how many of these guys would start for more than 1 or 2 other equally bad teams the list you are left with is: McCoy, Dawkins, White, Edmunds, Poyer, Hyde and then maybe and I mean maybe Hughes and Milano. That is just not enough. 8 out of 22 starters who look up to being genuine NFL starters. That is too many holes and the sticking plasters yesterday just did not work. 

The current state of this roster is a major indictment of Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott. 

This roster is as bad as any team the Bills have fielded over the past 20 years. We have maybe a handful of guys under the age of 26 who we can build around, and most of the roster is composed of players who would struggle to find employment in the NFL anywhere outside of Buffalo. 

Our offensive line is laughably bad, we have the worst group of receivers in the league, next to nothing at tight end, an overpaid an often under performing defensive front and major issues at CB behind White. This team is very bad and a big reason why is because of how the current decision makers chose to gut the roster so that they could bring in their guys. 

Their guys clearly aren't good enough. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

The current state of this roster is a major indictment of Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott. 

(...) This team is very bad and a big reason why is because of how the current decision makers chose to gut the roster so that they could bring in their guys. 

Their guys clearly aren't good enough. 

That last is the part that is of concern to me.  I "get" dumping cap and underperforming players and bringing in fresh blood.  I "get" that you can be like, OK we have this OT who's got a chronic disease and is one toke away from a year off and this other OT with bad knees who was found naked in a field serenading sheep, they aren't all that great, we're gonna replace 'em.  But the replacement needs to be at least equally competent.

Ultimately, it's Beane and his team's ability to realistically evaluate "fresh blood" that will make or break us, and right now it's looking like the blood is in the water and the sharks are circling.

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That last is the part that is of concern to me.  I "get" dumping cap and underperforming players and bringing in fresh blood.  I "get" that you can be like, OK we have this OT who's got a chronic disease and is one toke away from a year off and this other OT with bad knees who was found naked in a field serenading sheep, they aren't all that great, we're gonna replace 'em.  But the replacement needs to be at least equally competent.

Ultimately, it's Beane and his team's ability to realistically evaluate "fresh blood" that will make or break us, and right now it's looking like the blood is in the water and the sharks are circling.

The big problem is that each guy we've shipped out by trade or not re signed has been replaced by an inferior player. 

We've actively got rid of a ton of guys for various reasons, and for the most part the guys who they've brought in have been severe downgrades. 

At this point I think you really need to start questioning this regime's ability to evaluate talent. Their draft picks haven't been very good yet, this year's free agent class looks horrendous and they've shown they don't really value draft picks by how aggressive they've been moving up in the draft to target specific guys at the expense of giving away draft capital. 

5 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Right. I see what the GM & HC are doing.

I don't give a crap about what the "experts" say. Some of those "experts" are barely verbal.

16 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Ladies and Gentlemen....The most negative person on the board = 26CornerBlitz

Unfortunately, our cupboard is pretty bare. Cap hell or not, McBean has pretty much jettisoned any Bill with talent or allowed them to walk via FA. We had three WR's with talent, now we have none. Easy to be negative right now, and justifiably so.