Ego or Redemption - The Peterman Story

ngbills

The Bills took some slack around the league last year starting Peterman over Tyrod. Then it completely blew up in their face when Peterman failed in historic magnitude. Luckily the Bills made the playoffs because if they had barely missed I think it would have been talked about over and over how the coach failed the team with that decision. 

Fast forward a year and I cant help but think McD doesn't still fume over this. That his ego is still hurt and wants redemption. If Peterman can be even ok then McD can turn the page on his terrible decision last year. 

Does this cloud his judgement and push the Peterman as the starter? I still cannot fathom how this team goes into the season with him as the starter. Its not like he was a high pick that you dont want to give up on. We are talking about a marginal guy that has shown he is average at best, limited upside and has minimal value as a mentor to a young QB. Makes no sense. If we are going with the average guy why not bring in a vet that can mentor Allen until he is ready. Starting Peterman is a waste of time. Yes maybe he plays great and increases his trade value but that is a longshot. Might as well roll the dice on a former early pick if that is the game. 

Edited by ngbills

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

The Bills took some slack around the league last year starting Peterman over Tyrod. Then it completely blew up in their face when Peterman failed in historic magnitude. Luckily the Bills made the playoffs because if they had barely missed I think it would have been talked about over and over how the coach failed the team with that decision. 

Fast forward a year and I cant help but think McD doesn't still fume over this. That his ego is still hurt and wants redemption. If Peterman can be even ok then McD can turn the page on his terrible decision last year. 

Does this cloud his judgement and push the Peterman as the starter? I still cannot fathom how this team goes into the season with him as the starter. Its not like he was a high pick that you dont want to give up on. We are talking about a marginal guy that has shown he is average at best, limited upside and has minimal value as a mentor to a young QB. Makes no sense. If we are going with the average guy why not bring in a vet that can mentor Allen until he is ready. Starting Peterman is a waste of time. Yes maybe he plays great and increases his trade value but that is a longshot. Might as well roll the dice on a former early pick if that is the game. 

Totally legit post in my view, ngbills. 

I think, however, that McCarron was that "veteran bridge" and Peterman beat him out.  I do think McD has a special affinity for Nate (not as much as Tasker), but I also think Nate earned this opportunity by performing the best of the three in the preseason.  As much as McD preaches "the process" and "earning opportunities", it would ring hollow to the team if any other decision had been made at this point.  Once you establish the culture he has, you want to be consistent and this decision is consistent with the culture. 

Listen to Kyle talk about McD.  The first line of almost every interview is...."I know what to expect every day with Sean"  That consistency is really important.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think McD is ecstatic that Peterman looked decent in pre-season, making the decision to sit Allen longer an easy and safe one for him.  And if Peterman fails again, they just say "we gave him a shot and that's why we drafted Allen."

1 minute ago, teef said:

Or mcd is just a coach who wants to give his rookie an more time to come along. If that’s the approach, why not let your other young qb get some development time. Maybe he becomes a great back up. 

Could be the case. I am fine Allen not being ready. I just dont agree with Peterman being the guy you go with. I think psychology can play a role in peoples decisions, especially those with big egos. In my mind there are and were so many better options than Peterman even if Allen is not the guy. 

7 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Could be the case. I am fine Allen not being ready. I just dont agree with Peterman being the guy you go with. I think psychology can play a role in peoples decisions, especially those with big egos. In my mind there are and were so many better options than Peterman even if Allen is not the guy. 

Do you think AJM was the guy?  Should they have paid $15-20M for a bridge guy?

How about Peterman is much better now than last year showed? He worked his rear off, won fairly the qb competition, outshined all other qbs in the league in preseason. and so the coach had no choice but to reward that. Wins inflates ego. If MCDermott thought Nate the Great was not the answer for this team right now, he is not going to risk the same thing happening as last year. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, ngbills said:

i think peterman probably plays the position the way coach wants his qb to play it. quick decisions, and well placed balls (hitting a guy with timing and rhythm) i think is what they want. i know that peterman has physical limitations, but allen does not. maybe nate was seen as a better mentor/backup than mccarron. 

18 minutes ago, teef said:

Or mcd is just a coach who wants to give his rookie an more time to come along. If that’s the approach, why not let your other young qb get some development time. Maybe he becomes a great back up. 

I thought if Allen showed he could deal with the terrible OL play in the Cinci game and make some plays, he was going to be the starter.  For a while there, I thought it was Allen's job to lose, even though Peterman had better numbers the entire preseason.

Now I almost feel like Peterman is being put out there so Allen isn't "ruined" by not having a supporting cast.

6 minutes ago, drf1835 said:

How about Peterman is much better now than last year showed? He worked his rear off, won fairly the qb competition, outshined all other qbs in the league in preseason. and so the coach had no choice but to reward that. Wins inflates ego. If MCDermott thought Nate the Great was not the answer for this team right now, he is not going to risk the same thing happening as last year. 

I'm interested to see how Peterman holds up these first 4 games.  It almost seems like he's being setup to fail.

Edited by PeterDude
  • Like (+1) 3

It’s funny, on one hand I’m rooting for Peterman and then again I don’t see the talent in him to be an elite Qb. His outs are what dreams are made of! If you are a cornerback!!

Mcd just seems too much of a logically driven coach to let ego or personal feelings to get in the way of doing what is best for the team. When he started Nate over Tyrod last season it was because this team was struggling and it needed a spark. A spark that should come from veteran players in key positions. Tyrod wasn’t doing it. Whether he couldn’t or wouldn’t I don’t know.

Id like to see Peterman do well but we all know Allen has to be the future. He has tremendous gifts that Nate will never have!

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, drf1835 said:

Impossible, players can't develop if not drafted in the first 2 rounds. If a 5th rd or later pick at QB you must complete 90% of your passes as 80% is garbage.

The entire team was getting their asses handed to them in historic proportions for weeks prior to the chargers game. Tyrod vs Peterman is like getting up to bat and watching the pitches vs going down swinging. Play it safe take what the defense gives you or swing for the fence hoping for a big hit

23 minutes ago, ngbills said:

there's definitely better options.  they must like peterman to some degree obviously since they picked him.  could be a situation where he's cheap, and they already spent capital on him, so why not give him a go.  i'm not confident in nate either, but i don't know how much difference an off the street vet would make.  

15 minutes ago, PeterDude said:

I thought if Allen showed he could deal with the terrible OL play in the Cinci game and make some plays, he was going to be the starter.  For a while there, I thought it was Allen's job to lose, even though Peterman had better numbers the entire preseason.

Now I almost feel like Peterman is being put out there so Allen isn't "ruined" by not having a supporting cast.

i think that's exactly what's going on as well.

14 minutes ago, swnybillsfan said:

i think peterman probably plays the position the way coach wants his qb to play it. quick decisions, and well placed balls (hitting a guy with timing and rhythm) i think is what they want. i know that peterman has physical limitations, but allen does not. maybe nate was seen as a better mentor/backup than mccarron. 

I agree.  I think that's what McD saw last season and why he gave Peterman the start.  Ugly as that start was, I don't think it changed McDs mind.  He had no choice but to go back to Tyrod then, but it's a new season and he's seeing the same things in Peterman that he liked last season.  

I seriously doubt it's ego.  

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I fail to see the reason for conspiracy theories. Peterdude clearly won the QB battle. CLEARLY.. You did watch right ?

I agree with putting Peterman in last year because Taylor was underwhelming and at that point the team needs to be B word slapped. It didn't work out the way anyone would of wanted but I still think it woke the team up some

I doubt McDermott needs some kind of re-assurance.. He's a professional.. Re-assurance is a need for insecure fans who have to have some sort of far fetched reasoning to justify something they didn't agree with or a place to lay some sort of blame 

44 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Did you ever see the viral video of Tommy Jordan, the dad who shot his daughter's laptop because she made a nastygram post about the family on Facebook? (It actually turns out he's a pretty intelligent guy running an IT business.)

The point that's relevant to the story here, is that in interviews when asked why he did it, he explained that in a previous incident where she did something similar and was grounded for a month, he told her "if you do that again, I will take your laptop out back and put a bullet in it".  So when she did, he felt he had to keep his word and do just that in order to be a consistent parent.

McDermott, since spring, has been telling the team that there would be an open competition for starting QB.  Everyone, from various team members who spoke out, to reporters, to fans at practice, has conceded that overall, Peterman has looked the best.

That being the case,, McDermott pretty much has to keep his word that it really was an open competition for QB, and shoot the laptop - I mean, start Peterman.

What one thinks of a QB competition where the choices were a vet backup who last started a game back in 2015, a 2nd year player who threw 5 picks in his 1st half, and a physically talented but raw rookie in need of both mechanical and mental development, is another question.

I personally find credible the folks who claim info that Dennison is the one who was pushing to start Peterman and bench Taylor, and one of the first things McDermott did post-season was send Dennison packing, so I don't think his ego is all bent and involved in it.

9 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

maybe it’s the dreaded TANK, just well disguised!

I keep coming back to the fact that Beane fought like h*** to keep next year's draft board.

I don't think he did that because he pictured us picking 28-32.

Before camp stated, I said "AJ is the present, Allen is the future, and Peterman is the odd man out."  Obviously, I didn't have a high opinion of Peterman.

But now he's the starter and I'm completely behind the decision.  McD made three guys compete to line up under center this Sunday and there was a clear winner.  Peterman completed over 80% of his passes, led scoring drives, and attained a passer rating of something like 124 this past preseason.  

I doubt if McD still 'fumes' over the Peterman's debacle of last year.  I think McD's a smart coach and thus he's much more focused on winning than ego.  In any case, the best way to support your ego as a coach is by winning.  

The offseason doesn't actually provide a lot of time for a coaching staff to work with a rookie QB.   Giving Josh - who was outplayed by Peterman in preseason - some additional time on the practice field and in the film room before becoming a starter is a perfectly rational decision.   I would hope the team wants to set Josh up for success.  Putting him out there against a good D with an inferior OL and an inferior ability to make presnap reads is not a winning formula.   Josh isn't ready for the bright lights just yet.  

I just don't see McD's fuming ego at work here.

55 minutes ago, Bring it said:

It’s funny, on one hand I’m rooting for Peterman and then again I don’t see the talent in him to be an elite Qb. His outs are what dreams are made of! If you are a cornerback!!

Mcd just seems too much of a logically driven coach to let ego or personal feelings to get in the way of doing what is best for the team. When he started Nate over Tyrod last season it was because this team was struggling and it needed a spark. A spark that should come from veteran players in key positions. Tyrod wasn’t doing it. Whether he couldn’t or wouldn’t I don’t know.

Id like to see Peterman do well but we all know Allen has to be the future. He has tremendous gifts that Nate will never have!

Playing Nate against the Chargers was not a spark and what lead up to it was due to really bad interior line play, bad blocking schemes, bad playcalling, and the QB play was affected by that to a large degree.  Nate was a guy that was more of a rhythm thrower that got the ball out quicker in the coaches minds I suspect.   My guess was that it was the impetus behind the choice both last year and this year - the constant being that Peterman is better at getting the ball out quicker and that creates less issues than QBs that hold the ball a bit longer.  Make no mistake that Peterman's best asset in both circumstances is that he is trying to mask a major deficiency and one that the team has really not addressed adequately at the player or coaching level.  Josh Allen will see the field soon for one reason or another related to the deficiencies on the OL  - you can bank on it.

Edited by Ayjent

I think Peterman undeniably earned his start. He's the best QB on the Bills roster today.  Will that be the case this time next year? Probably not -- but the dude put in the work, improved and gets the ball out quickly after the snap. I'm actually looking forward to this season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

I don't think psychology played into it ...mcdermott's job is to put his team into the best position to win ...all summer Peterman has been the most consistent qb we have..he earned it in the eyes of his coach and team for now

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree.  I think that's what McD saw last season and why he gave Peterman the start.  Ugly as that start was, I don't think it changed McDs mind.  He had no choice but to go back to Tyrod then, but it's a new season and he's seeing the same things in Peterman that he liked last season.  

I seriously doubt it's ego.  

i agree with this. and just because peterman had an all time awful performance does not make it the wrong move. taylor and the offense were throwing up all over themselves for a few games prior to that game. something needed to change, and what we saw from peterman in the preseason seemed to be just what was missing from taylor's game. we know that coach likes peterman's character and work ethic, and we know that he likes the way he approaches the position. what we don't know, is how that will translate to the field. but we will find out in just a few days.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Do you think AJM was the guy?  Should they have paid $15-20M for a bridge guy?

I was not high on AJM either. I think it depends on how close you think the team is. If they can compete then you get them a QB that can get the job done. And no way they really believe that is Peterman or they would not have gotten AJM and Allen. So going with him feels a bit like folding on the season but obviously hoping for the best. But its not making a strong play. They had cash and cap room, they wasted cash and cap room on some random moves like Coleman, etc. So I think they should have done more at the QB position. 

• Like (+1) 1

I've heard that Peterman looked good in practice last season - better than Tyrod.  And there were some hints that Rico felt Peterman's skill set fit his offense better.  So McD named him the starter and it didn't work out. 

That's life in the NFL.  Why would McD dwell on this?

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Did you ever see the viral video of Tommy Jordan, the dad who shot his daughter's laptop because she made a nastygram post about the family on Facebook? (It actually turns out he's a pretty intelligent guy running an IT business.)

The point that's relevant to the story here, is that in interviews when asked why he did it, he explained that in a previous incident where she did something similar and was grounded for a month, he told her "if you do that again, I will take your laptop out back and put a bullet in it".  So when she did, he felt he had to keep his word and do just that in order to be a consistent parent.

McDermott, since spring, has been telling the team that there would be an open competition for starting QB.  Everyone, from various team members who spoke out, to reporters, to fans at practice, has conceded that overall, Peterman has looked the best.

That being the case,, McDermott pretty much has to keep his word that it really was an open competition for QB, and shoot the laptop - I mean, start Peterman.

What one thinks of a QB competition where the choices were a vet backup who last started a game back in 2015, a 2nd year player who threw 5 picks in his 1st half, and a physically talented but raw rookie in need of both mechanical and mental development, is another question.

I personally find credible the folks who claim info that Dennison is the one who was pushing to start Peterman and bench Taylor, and one of the first things McDermott did post-season was send Dennison packing, so I don't think his ego is all bent and involved in it.

I keep coming back to the fact that Beane fought like h*** to keep next year's draft board.

I don't think he did that because he pictured us picking 28-32.

Well, maybe AJ was lucky they just traded him!

That all makes sense to me. You’ve got to keep your word and the locker room. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, ngbills said:

I was not high on AJM either. I think it depends on how close you think the team is. If they can compete then you get them a QB that can get the job done. And no way they really believe that is Peterman or they would not have gotten AJM and Allen. So going with him feels a bit like folding on the season but obviously hoping for the best. But its not making a strong play. They had cash and cap room, they wasted cash and cap room on some random moves like Coleman, etc. So I think they should have done more at the QB position. 

They were banking on getting a franchise QB in the draft who they were expecting to hit the field at the latest in 2019.  So spending a lot on QB for a year didn't make sense. 

Maybe they'll take a step back this year?   But they'll have draft picks and tons of cap room to improve other areas of the team.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

TT passed for 56!!!! Yards the previous week .

Starting Peterman was a no brainer. Especially if he was looking better in practice.’

He wasn’t ready for prime time and TT had a fire lit under him.

Sounds like decent coaching to me.

It's weird how people forget/disregard how terrible Tyrod was before his benching.

That decision needed to be made. 

It could be argued that they made the playoffs because of that decision, not in spite of it.

• Like (+1) 2

Bleacher Report, for one, endorses the move.  I wonder if it's their ego or if they're looking for redemption?

Buffalo Bills Sitting Josh Allen Is the Right Decision in the Long Run

The Bills spent the entire offseason searching for a franchise quarterback only to stick with a signal-caller already on the roster. The reason is simple: Allen isn't ready, and Peterman is a better NFL quarterback right now. Allen's control of the offense, overall accuracy and ability to handle pressure have yet to reach professional standards...

Allen's admitted to NFL.com's Kevin Patra that he's struggling with the speed of the NFL game, which could be damning in the long run. 

"Getting out there with the first team, obviously it's moving really fast," he said. "To see that speed, it was eye-opening. [Cincinnati has] a really good defense. They came out and they brought it. But at the same time, we had plays in place that could've worked if I got the ball out in time. It just didn't happen enough tonight.

"Sometimes when the play clock got a little low and I couldn't really dissect what they were doing and understanding what they were doing, it's tough on a quarterback."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2793927-buffalo-bills-sitting-josh-allen-is-the-right-decision-in-the-long-run?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Edited by hondo in seattle

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

I fail to see the reason for conspiracy theories. Peterdude clearly won the QB battle. CLEARLY.. You did watch right ?

I agree with putting Peterman in last year because Taylor was underwhelming and at that point the team needs to be B word slapped. It didn't work out the way anyone would of wanted but I still think it woke the team up some

I doubt McDermott needs some kind of re-assurance.. He's a professional.. Re-assurance is a need for insecure fans who have to have some sort of far fetched reasoning to justify something they didn't agree with or a place to lay some sort of blame 

Well there has to be a winner right? Peterman was not amazing he just won the battle against an average back up and a rookie. That is not saying much. If we cut him I dont think we would have teams racing to sign him. 

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

So in early spring, McBeane narrowed their QB-other-than-Allen choices to McCarron and Peterman.  I'm on record believing that meant AJ, but it was clear Peterman outplayed him.

Apparently Daboll's offense has a learning curve to it.  It isn't realistic to think he's gonna bring in another QB at this point except as an emergency backup guy.  Now if he's down to the Emergency Backup Guy, he may change his views and phone Brian St Pierre, but let's hope it doesn't come to that.

30 minutes ago, Doc said:

They were banking on getting a franchise QB in the draft who they were expecting to hit the field at the latest in 2019.  So spending a lot on QB for a year didn't make sense. 

Maybe they'll take a step back this year?   But they'll have draft picks and tons of cap room to improve other areas of the team.

Why not do both? We were a playoff team.  

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So in early spring, McBeane narrowed their QB-other-than-Allen choices to McCarron and Peterman.  I'm on record believing that meant AJ, but it was clear Peterman outplayed him.

Apparently Daboll's offense has a learning curve to it.  It isn't realistic to think he's gonna bring in another QB at this point except as an emergency backup guy.  Now if he's down to the Emergency Backup Guy, he may change his views and phone Brian St Pierre, but let's hope it doesn't come to that.

I agree. Just sucks for fans and players that they were in a situation that Peterman is your best option.