Week 1: Ravens Game Preparation - Nathan Peterman & Groy Starting

/dev/null

Petermans the right choice. JA, still needs to work on his mechanics and footwork as shown in the Bengals game. when his footwork is good, he is good, when they are not he is not. Needs to become second nature and happen without thought. He's been working hard to get it right, just needs a little more time. Throw him in there now behind this OL and all of his work with Palmer and new coaching staff will be for nothing.. You can learn a lot from the bench and practice.

Just now, Gugny said:

How many times have you written this same exact sentence over the past 20 years?

It’s crap. The kid isn’t built for the NFL. 

The process has a few glaring fault lines but everyone walks right over them while talking about last year and the playoffs. Why split the reps 3 ways for such an extended period of time? Why not let Allen have more first team reps so he could see the speed of the game?When they put him out there for the Bengals game, why did they play musical chairs with the oline in front of him? 

Was McD part of the contract negotiations going on for the Cinci Dlins? The answer is no, so what the hell was he doing. If Peterman was starting game 1 why did they waste valuable snaps on AJM and sit Allen for the entire 4th game? One could easily argue that Allen would have learned more in that one game than he will sitting behind Nate.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LyndonvilleBill said:

Petermans the right choice. JA, still needs to work on his mechanics and footwork as shown in the Bengals game. when his footwork is good, he is good, when they are not he is not. Needs to become second nature and happen without thought. He's been working hard to get it right, just needs a little more time. Throw him in there now behind this OL and all of his work with Palmer and new coaching staff will be for nothing.. You can learn a lot from the bench and practice.

Learn what, how to hold a clipboard, please.

6 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I get this, I do, but... Since it means nothing, which I agree, why delay the inevitable when starting experience is all Allen needs. Isn't it better to give him that in a season where the wins aren't expected or matter as much? 

I think it's better to give him that when he has an OL in front of him.  But that could just be me.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is a bit ambiguous. 

Do you mean "if Josh, in his first preseason, performed as Nate did this preseason"
or

"if Josh, this preseason, performed as Nate did last preseason"...

If the latter, what I think is that you're probably mistaken.  Because Nate did not perform well last preseason. 

People gave him props because he was making throws Taylor wouldn't and he played well in the 4th game against the future burger flippers.  What, exactly, about Nate's 2017 preseason 54.4% completions for 5.7 YPA, 1 TD, and 4 sacks impresses you so much and makes you think it's better than Josh Allen's 2018 preseason 54.4% completions for 4.8 YPA, 2 TD, and 7 sacks?  I mean 4.8 YPA < 5.7 YPA, but we all know Allen has a gifted arm and his WR didn't help him out on a few long throws.  4 sacks > 7 sacks, but likewise our OL seems considerably worse.

Hey Hap:  Nice points.  Comparing both 1st pre-seasons, my take is that Nate looked better and was more confident.  I didn't see that from Josh this year.  Maybe I just had higher expectations from the Cowboy.

9 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Its not a surprise and it makes sense from a larger Allen plan point of view. Totally get it. 

But it still seems like a waste of time to me. I like Nate. But we know what he is. The fan in me sees it as a waste of a start. If I were a coach or GM I'd feel differently I'm sure. 

I understand exactly how you feel.  Seems like the same situation with a limited QB we've been watching for far too long.   

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

It’s crap. The kid isn’t built for the NFL. 

The process has a few glaring fault lines but everyone walks right over them while talking about last year and the playoffs. Why split the reps 3 ways for such an extended period of time? Why not let Allen have more first team reps so he could see the speed of the game?When they put him out there for the Bengals game, why did they play musical chairs with the oline in front of him? 

Was McD part of the contract negotiations going on for the Cinci Dlins? The answer is no, so what the hell was he doing. If Peterman was starting game 1 why did they waste valuable snaps on AJM and sit Allen for the entire 4th game? One could easily argue that Allen would have learned more in that one game than he will sitting behind Nate.

For the first time in my life as a Bills fan, I've gone through the entire offseason and preseason just happy that any one of the three QBs fighting it out would be named the starter.

Between AJM, Peterman and Allen, I honestly did not care how it shook out.  I loved Nate last year, but his O line gave him a primo !@#$ job vs. SD and I think that rattled him to the core.

Now we get to see if that's who he really is, or if it really was just a horrible game that affected him for the remainder of the season.

I loved the Josh Allen pick and will proudly wear my Allen jersey each Sunday, whether he's starting or not.  He will, eventually.

I only hope that a change isn't rushed due to injury.

I think Beane and McD have handled the QB situation just fine and I look forward to seeing this play out.

Go Bills!

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 2