3rd Super Bowl loss sends Tim McVeigh over the edge

NeckMeat182

2 minutes ago, NeckMeat182 said:

Think of it as a cautinary tale of loving the Bills too much.  We all know how we treat people after a loss.  Fascinating that sports fandom can have such sway.

Reading some of the threads here can lead you to the conclusion that a few of us might be wound a bit too tightly...?

• Haha (+1) 2

We definitely have a concerning group on this board that can't process criticism of the team and then wallow in despair when the team loses.

That is a highly unhealthy combination.

It's entertainment.........and a product where you aren't given free-market options.........not realizing this and your right to expect more and be critical of bad results is an invitation to mental illness.

• Like (+1) 2

What unmitigated horse****.  Blaming the Bills for Oklahoma City?  !@#$ you Politico and Sam Anderson.  Ridiculous angle.  If the Bills caused OKC, where are all the other mass murderers from Buffalo in the same time frame?  What?  There are none?  No ****, Sherlock.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

12 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

The idiots that tore down the goal posts, hoisted sections of them up to the top level of the stadium, and *threw them over the edge* to the ground below...

Are you referring to the 1980 Fish game?  If so, No, they did not throw them over the top of the stadium.  They WANTED to & brought a goalpost up into the upper deck, but security kept them from tossing it over.

A couple of other sections of goalpost did make it into the parking lot, but not after being tossed over the stadium.  They would've killed someone filing out of the stadium if they had.

33 minutes ago, row_33 said:

1980 they did, ended Miami’s 20-0 shellacking of the Bills for the entire 1970s

Their first chance came in the winter of 1991. The Bills stormed through the playoffs, beating their archrivals—the decadent, tropical Miami Dolphins—after which the home fans rushed the field and tore down the goalposts. Then the Bills destroyed the L.A. Raiders 51–3 and entered the Super Bowl as heavy favorites. Their opponents were the New York Giants, media darlings of the megalopolis to the south, which meant that this was an opportunity to work out some major civic anxiety in front of the whole world.

This is not accurate. 

Edited by Madbillsfan

2 minutes ago, Madbillsfan said:

Their first chance came in the winter of 1991. The Bills stormed through the playoffs, beating their archrivals—the decadent, tropical Miami Dolphins—after which the home fans rushed the field and tore down the goalposts. Then the Bills destroyed the L.A. Raiders 51–3 and entered the Super Bowl as heavy favorites. Their opponents were the New York Giants, media darlings of the megalopolis to the south, which meant that this was an opportunity to work out some major civic anxiety in front of the whole world.

This is not accurate. 

They 100% tore the goal posts down in 1980

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

Ugh first the shooter in Jacksonville and now this.....this is not the type of publicity the Bills want:angry:

Man, how can you comment about the Bills or Buffalo’ s image on this board and still have sympathy for the victims and their families? Heck , even for the killer. He must have been mentally ill and somebody (else) should have noticed and did something about it. How could he have been allowed to rent that truck and buy fertilizer? How , how, how ....You must be a horrible person and should be publicly shamed! 

25 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

What unmitigated horse****.  Blaming the Bills for Oklahoma City?  !@#$ you Politico and Sam Anderson.  Ridiculous angle.  If the Bills caused OKC, where are all the other mass murderers from Buffalo in the same time frame?  What?  There are none?  No ****, Sherlock.

C’mon Freddy. How can your thoughts be about the Bills when reading this ? Horrible people on this board. For shame, for shame. ?

46 minutes ago, Matty the Dustmop said:

They did that year when they beat Miami to win the AFC East and clinch home field....

Right. It was the Christmas Eve game vs Miami for the division , Reich started at QB 

34 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Raiders?

Methinks the OP is a TROLL.....

Yeah not sure what im trolling, methinks you're reading too much into it.  It is an interesting piece take it or leave it I guess.  

Edited by NeckMeat182

39 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Are you referring to the 1980 Fish game?  If so, No, they did not throw them over the top of the stadium.  They WANTED to & brought a goalpost up into the upper deck, but security kept them from tossing it over.

A couple of other sections of goalpost did make it into the parking lot, but not after being tossed over the stadium.  They would've killed someone filing out of the stadium if they had.

The fans carried the goalpost up to Ralph's box and presented it to him...

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

We definitely have a concerning group on this board that can't process criticism of the team and then wallow in despair when the team loses.

It's entertainment.........and a product where you aren't given free-market options.........not realizing this and your right to expect more and be critical of bad results is an invitation to mental illness.

Uh oh...now you did it.

Better have someone else taste your food for you lol.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Ugh first the shooter in Jacksonville and now this.....this is not the type of publicity the Bills want:angry:

Idiot fans throw each other through table which are on fire! I don’t think anyone who follows football is unaware how moronic Bills fans are. 

This Bills Mafia thing is nothing short of pathetic. Throw down the NWA TITLE AND rename the groups BMD

Bills Moronic Drunks! 

Edited by KRT88
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NeckMeat182 said:

Came accross this article and found it quite interesting.  Did not realize McVeigh was a Bills super fan.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/09/02/how-football-fed-timothy-mcveighs-despair-219625

You know now he lived just north of Amherst in Niagara county....graduated from star pointe highschoolhigh school

I read the entire article. It upset me when the facts of the Branch Davidians were false. The article states that the government set the compound on fire, but it was David Coresh who killed his own people because he didn't want to be taken alive. I can't take this article seriously because of the political agenda it's trying to push. If a person allows a football team to contribute to the murders of 168 men, women and children, than that person has major issues. The Bills winning a Super Bowl wouldn't have prevented that. It's like him saying the Bills lost so I'm about to blow up a daycare center. I don't buy that logic. 

Edited by Big Curt
Mistyped
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

The fans carried the goalpost up to Ralph's box and presented it to him...

One section of goalpost may have ended up there.  Another section ended up at the top of the upper deck.  The drunks that carried it up there were shouting at the people leaving the stadium to get them to move back so they could throw it over into the concourse.

Security took that section from them and there it lay 3 rows from the top of the stadium until well after everybody had filed out of Rich.

Ironically, the replacement goal posts were made by a Miami-based comoany.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I do remember that there was a definite uptick of local health problems immediately after some of those super bowl losses.  It really took a toll on some.

1 hour ago, djp14150 said:

You know now he lived just north of Amherst in Niagara county....graduated from star pointe highschoolhigh school

Yes.  Starpoint is western Lockport.

2 hours ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

People who knew McVeigh in High School (whom I know well) tell me that he fundamentally changed after serving in the military. I tend to think his experiences there,  you know, killing people and trying not to get killed, may have influenced his psyche more than the Bills. 

Every soldier who experiences live combat. Is (sometimes) changed in one way or another for life.

I am not aware of anyone I served with ever turning into a political mass murdering arsewipe. .

And  becoming a domestic terrorist. 

While it's plausible that being in the military caused at least PTSD. I don't buy that theory for a second. 

Oddly, IIRC neither did he. 

that POS doesn't deserve to be analyzed anymore than he has been.

Any comments on him. Mine included, are a complete waste of bandwidth. 

That article sucks. 

34 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I saw a large section of goalpost thrown over the edge of the stadium with my own eyes.

The end of the 1990 season. Not exactly sure if it was the season finale, or a playoff game.

I also remember a large swatch of Astroturf being cut from the field after the '90 AFC Championship game. There will always be morons at sporting events, I guess...

You think that manure is 'interesting'?

TROLL.

As mentioned in an earlier post, my recollection was of the '80 opener, not the playoff game in '90.