Sal Carpaccio: Corey Coleman Is In Trouble

Message added by Chandler#81

Cut

thankfully this is a depth conversation. I was worried he had other issues with the name of the post.

At the end of the day these are still human beings, and I wish them well.

The Bills lack high end talent at WR, but do have some mid level depth. Will be interesting.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

That's the "glass half full" mentality. 

Me?  I'm wondering why this coach and GM seem horribly inept at evaluating and acquiring offensive talent, across the board.  Take a quick look at Carolina's offense.  This is a pattern.

Fair analysis. 

2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

I am grateful for the long overdue playoff birth, but last year was last year.  I'm not one to rest on past accomplishments.

Set your sights a little further and much higher.

This offense is putrid!

So let me see if I have this straight

We are grateful for last year (even though pretty much EVERYBODY gave us no shot).....we released pretty much all of our high priced players......and STILL found a way to play our 1st post season game in over a decade and a half.

But.....this is this year....and we KNOW we are gonna suck....so now we should be complaining before the season even starts......

And you dont see a pattern here with your thinking?

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

We are grateful for last year (even though pretty much EVERYBODY gave us no shot).....we released pretty much all of our high priced players......and STILL found a way to play our 1st post season game in over a decade and a half.

But.....this is this year....and we KNOW we are gonna suck....so now we should be complaining before the season even starts......

Ceiling for this team is right around 6 wins IMO.

Don't forget, there is always a lot of change in the NFL year to year with a given team.

Some go from good to bad, some bad to good.

Don't assume anything with any team in this year based on what happened last year. 

They aren't related, and almost everyone who studies this stuff and who isn't a Bills fan has us as a league leading regression candidate for 2018.

4 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Don't forget, there is always a lot of change in the NFL year to year with a given team.

Don't assume anything with any team in this year based on what happened last year. 

They aren't related, and almost everyone who studies this stuff and who isn't a Bills fan has us as a league leading regression candidate for 2018.

Just like they did last year.

The things not being talked about

A year in the belt of getting the player's McDermott wants on the team......a year for the younger guys on both O and D to be in systems under the same HC and coordinators (except Daboll) and positional coaches....

That actually does count for something

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

So you're just going to refuse to accept what's right in front of your eyes.  That's cool.  Do you.

14 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Hmmmmm...didn’t you say Foster had 0% chance and kept arguing with me about it just because I said I felt he still had a shot and it was too early to rule him out after first preseason game and he was showing better in practice and still has a connection to Daboll?  

Call me stunned. He sucked in pre-season so much so in game 1 that he hardly got out there in games 2 and 3. Similarly Connor McDermott who 2 weeks into camp was relegated to the 3rd team from where he never rose again and suddenly he is on the 53. I think it is bonkers. 

Well hopefully he proves his worth. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Call me stunned. He sucked in pre-season so much so in game 1 that he hardly got out there in games 2 and 3. Similarly Connor McDermott who 2 weeks into camp was relegated to the 3rd team from where he never rose again and suddenly he is on the 53. I think it is bonkers. 

I think they are both placeholders while Beane rummages thru the cuts.

As I see it they basically cut the roster down to about 49 because that's all they have that even remotely deserve a spot.

I think they want guys like Foster and McDermott on the PS though,  so keeping them in Buffalo while teams fill out their PS increases the likelihood that they stay here.

And if they can't get a waiver claim in or veteran cuts say thanks-but-no-thanks......and they have to keep RF and CM on the roster week one.........they will be inactive anyway and as cheap as it gets.

I can't envision McDermott getting another year of roster paychecks either though........he was putrid disappointment in preseason.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

As I see it they basically cut the roster down to about 49 because that's all they have that even remotely deserve a spot.

I think they want guys like Foster and McDermott on the PS though,  so keeping them in Buffalo while teams fill out their PS increases the likelihood that they stay here.

And if they can't get a waiver claim in or veteran cuts say thanks-but-no-thanks......and they have to keep RF and CM on the roster week one.........they will be inactive anyway and as cheap as it gets.

I can't envision McDermott getting another year of roster paychecks either though........he was putrid disappointment in preseason.

Agree that makes sense. I did say I thought they'd do that with one of the young receivers..... keep them a few days extra because it helps you keep them on the PS when teams have already filled theirs. Still slightly surprised it is Foster but there you go and equally McDermott was so awful he was with the 3s every game and then gets kept.... odd but maybe they think he is still a PS guy.

18 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I do appreciate your consistency . and  you have a solid opinion.

But i disagree with the lead leading regression candidate .
I do agree with you in the bolded. Young ,or new perhaps , Bills  Coaching GM and O Coordinator just in . Team sorting out the details of developing and maintaining a contending Buffalo Bills. aint there yet.

But I will not predict a record. One thing about the Bills these days ? They do surprise at times : )

in so many ways....

16 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

So you're just going to refuse to accept what's right in front of your eyes.  That's cool.  Do you.

I cannot see why anyone would enjoy perceiving gloom upon the horizon.
John should do John.

and you should do you Boo.

too soon see how how this team will look midway theis season.

Don't count out Coach Daboll !
this offense might be worth watching : )

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Right On!  I hope you are right about the rummaging process.

18 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Just like they did last year.

The things not being talked about

A year in the belt of getting the player's McDermott wants on the team......a year for the younger guys on both O and D to be in systems under the same HC and coordinators (except Daboll) and positional coaches....

That actually does count for something

absolutely does.

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Good post

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree that makes sense. I did say I thought they'd do that with one of the young receivers..... keep them a few days extra because it helps you keep them on the PS when teams have already filled theirs. Still slightly surprised it is Foster but there you go and equally McDermott was so awful he was with the 3s every game and then gets kept.... odd but maybe they think he is still a PS guy.

so perhaps they bring back Streater? if nothing more shows from waivers. Moving Foster to PS made sense before the cut down.

16 minutes ago, berg1029 said:

The thing I don't understand about this is:

The Bills needed him to take the top off of the defense.  They said as much in the article.  How complicated is it to run a go route?  RUN STRAIGHT AND FAST. 

Did you watch him play in the preseason games? he looked like he was running the routes at 50%. he had to be releases. Good effort on Bean for giving it a shot and really didnt give up anything for him. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, wppete said:

Did you watch him play in the preseason games? he looked like he was running the routes at 50%. he had to be releases. Good effort on Bean for giving it a shot and really didnt give up anything for him. 

Yeah idk why Beane would say it had anything to do with him learning the playbook though.  I agree though.  His play on the field said enough about why he was cut

On 9/2/2018 at 5:52 AM, GunnerBill said:

Good catch. That is Cronyism at work.

1 hour ago, wppete said:

Maybe he is the Gary Anderson of receivers?  

• Like (+1) 1

I notice as of today, Coleman is still a free agent - since he was cut, any team could pick him up for vet minimum, leaving the Bills to pay the balance between vet minimum and his $3.5M guaranteed salary - but no takers.

1 hour ago, berg1029 said:

Yeah idk why Beane would say it had anything to do with him learning the playbook though.  I agree though.  His play on the field said enough about why he was cut

This.  I think Beane is trying to be nice, but "in fairness to Corey, it is hard to get here in August and learn an offense when you’re fighting for reps and haven’t practiced with any of these quarterbacks" had better be BS - I mean, Beane knew all that when he made the deal that brought Coleman in, so why do it if it's such an uphill fight?

He says Coleman "tried hard, he really did", but it has to be that he didn't try hard enough, or that his "try hard" was a lot lower quality than another players.

13 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Doesn't Beane have a nice PC way of saying "He was dumb as a box o' rocks"?

I could be wrong, but I think if he were a real full-go, hard-driving box of rocks, he'd still be here. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It's nepotism.

:lol::lol:

Both words work @sshole! 

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I notice as of today, Coleman is still a free agent - since he was cut, any team could pick him up for vet minimum, leaving the Bills to pay the balance between vet minimum and his $3.5M guaranteed salary - but no takers.

This.  I think Beane is trying to be nice, but "in fairness to Corey, it is hard to get here in August and learn an offense when you’re fighting for reps and haven’t practiced with any of these quarterbacks" had better be BS - I mean, Beane knew all that when he made the deal that brought Coleman in, so why do it if it's such an uphill fight?

He says Coleman "tried hard, he really did", but it has to be that he didn't try hard enough, or that his "try hard" was a lot lower quality than another players.

I could be wrong, but I think if he were a real full-go, hard-driving box of rocks, he'd still be here. 

He had a shtty attitude. Thats what they said on twitter. "didnt like his attitude since he walked in the building"

Im guessing the playbook thing was an excuse. The kid isnt stupid, hes lazy with a major attitude problem and feels too entitled to go 100% at practice. This is why he got cut.

Eagles not looking so good on offense.