Bills' 2018 Training Camp Practice Day 8 - 6:15 PM at New Era

17 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Is who starts that game just "part of the plan?"

Third preseason game is the only one to read into. The starter will be announced.

I'm very excited.

Yup. Most prior is just male soap operas 

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....you could be asking way too much here..............

Off the top of my head, I can think of 7 posters who’ve already written their thread in their notes section, so they can be the 1st to say ‘I told you so!’..

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

Off the top of my head, I can think of 7 posters who’ve already written their thread in their notes section, so they can be the 1st to say ‘I told you so!’..

...LMAO....just called 911 to help me up off the floor....dammit.................

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I don’t know...at this point I’m leaning AJ #1 and JA #2...but preseason will go a long way of helping to determine that.

...just a hunch that McD looks at the "bigger picture"......the QB comparatives will be one part of the "equation"...BUT....perhaps a bigger part is PROTECTION as in the OL's capabilities as well as RB blocking abilities....NOT saying McCarron is an expendable "guinea pig", but I can't see McD risking what you hope to be your franchise QB for "target practice" by the opposition's "D".....

• Like (+1) 1

https://theathletic.com/458464/2018/08/04/kelvin-benjamin-qa/ 

(sub required) 

The last play of your college career, you caught a touchdown to win the national title for Florida State with 13 seconds left. Then you set rookie receiving records for Carolina. Things turned in 2015. How would you assess your career since your rookie season?

I mean, I felt like I would’ve been even more successful if … I don’t know, man … If I would’ve … Looking back on it, I should’ve just been drafted by somebody else. I should’ve never went to Carolina. Truly, I just think Carolina was bad for me. It was a bad fit from the get-go. If you would’ve put me with any other quarterback, let’s be real, you know what I’m saying? Any other accurate quarterback like Rodgers or Eli Manning or Big Ben — anybody! — quarterbacks with knowledge, that know how to place a ball and give you a better chance to catch the ball. It just felt like I wasn’t in that position.

• Haha (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...just a hunch that McD looks at the "bigger picture"......the QB comparatives will be one part of the "equation"...BUT....perhaps a bigger part is PROTECTION as in the OL's capabilities as well as RB blocking abilities....NOT saying McCarron is an expendable "guinea pig", but I can't see McD risking what you hope to be your franchise QB for "target practice" by the opposition's "D".....

Exactly what I was thinking- JA may be the better talent...but the team around him might not be ready yet, especially with a new o-line trying to gel.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

... Then I'll say it for you...

...McCarron is the expendable "guinea pig"...

...Peterman...

...guinea pig number 2...

(Myself personally, McCarron is going to be one tough guinea pig)

Edited by Figster

48 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

If he's the best QB in camp and the OL can be half-way decent, there is no reason not to start Allen week 1.

I can understand taking this point of view and there is an argument to be made the ability to release a football traveling at over 70 mph (with accuracy) when needed makes the offense as a unit better.

The problem is training camp and preseason is not the place to get an accurate evaluation IMO.

Edited by Figster
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Figster said:

I can understand taking this point of view and there is an argument to be made the ability to release a football traveling at over 70 mph when needed makes the whole offense as a unit better.

The problem is training camp and preseason is not the place to get an accurate evaluation IMO.

...BINGO bud...."live ammo" is a different world.....even if everything was reasonably close in McD's QB evaluations and decision measurements, my gut (LARGE) says he errs on the side of caution and conservatism, starting AJ in game 1....a wild, speculative guess........

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, OJ Tom said:

Honestly, Peterman blows.

I'm trying to figure out what demographic he appeals to.

How many Peterman fans were Trent Edwards supporters? I'm thinking there is some overlap. 

I think it varies, but one faction of the Peterman "homers" (and honestly I don't think there are more than a few off the deep end, but I mean those holding off just that much longer from saying he shouldn't start) I think rolls over from some who were avidly anti-Tyrod and defended Peterman in the Chargers game with comments like "but Boca said 'he didn't even block me!' so clearly the OL just stopped playing!"

These are people who saw Peterman as a preseason hero last year and wanted him to take the reins from Taylor last year and might still be a little bitter and are unable to accept what is a fairly objective and basic observation of Peterman based on his play:

Noodle arm + Hero ball = Terrible starting QB

Hence... Peterman = Terrible starting QB 

Edited by transplantbillsfan

41 minutes ago, Figster said:

I can understand taking this point of view and there is an argument to be made the ability to release a football traveling at over 70 mph (with accuracy) when needed makes the offense as a unit better.

Soooo... if Allen looks ready in Training Camp and Preseason, are you saying wait til you really know he's ready??? How do you determine it, then? :blink:

18 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I think it varies, but one faction of the Peterman "homers" (and honestly I don't think there are more than a few off the deep end, but I mean those holding off just that much longer from saying he shouldn't start) I think rolls over from some who were avidly anti-Tyrod and defended Peterman in the Chargers game with comments like "but Boca said 'he didn't even block me!' so clearly the OL just stopped playing!"

These are people who saw Peterman as a preseason hero last year and wanted him to take the reins from Taylor last year and might still be a little bitter and are unable to accept what is a fairly objective and basic observation of Peterman based on his play:

Noodle arm + Hero ball = Terrible

Hence... Peterman = Terrible 

...a pathetically expected babble...the effin' kid was a 5th, a FIFTH.......stay with me for a moment.........thrown to the SD wolves by a Dennison induced whine because he was too inept to work with TT....HINT: NOT ready and it showed.....and the TBD "One and Done Gang" BOLDLY declares him a bust.....a FIFTH....pretty damn noble (HINT : some already have ALLEN as a BUST) assessment......so the bust is still in camp working to get better....much to the chagrin of "The Gang", there have been some positive reports about progress..prime target to hate on hoping he fails at realizing his NFL dream......tiny little excrements pounding their keyboards (OR ??) in defiance of the kid still being in camp leave me in a dire quandary as to whom I should believe....them or the Abbott & Costello duo, a/k/a/ McD and McBeane....sometimes ignorance should be shielded versus advertised....good Lord.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...a pathetically expected babble...the effin' kid was a 5th, a FIFTH.......stay with me for a moment.........thrown to the SD wolves by a Dennison induced whine because he was too inept to work with TT....HINT: NOT ready and it showed.....and the TBD "One and Done Gang" BOLDLY declares him a bust.....a FIFTH....pretty damn noble (HINT : some already have ALLEN as a BUST) assessment......so the bust is still in camp working to get better....much to the chagrin of "The Gang", there have been some positive reports about progress..prime target to hate on hoping he fails at realizing his NFL dream......tiny little excrements pounding their keyboards (OR ??) in defiance of the kid still being in camp leave me in a dire quandary as to whom I should believe....them or the Abbott & Costello duo, a/k/a/ McD and McBeane....sometimes ignorance should be shielded versus advertised....good Lord.....

Seriously lost track of what you are trying to say. Do you think McD and Beane are a joke?  Are you for or against Nate practicing? Serious questions.  Not trying to be a wise guy....you lost me.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

You're awfully defensive and vitriolic (not to mention nonsensical) responding to a post that contained none of that.

Did I strike a nerve because I nailed it and you were one of those posters?

If you weren't see blinded with old man's rage you might notice that I don't think this is the mindset of all the Peterman homers and that I don't even think there are many of them.

See the first 4 words of your post, repeat them back to yourself, then take some Prozac, or smoke a joint, or do whatever you need to do to chill the hell out.

19 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Noodle arm + Hero ball = Terrible starting QB

Hence... Peterman = Terrible starting QB 

Yeah, guys who are hoping that Peterman gets a chance to somehow validate their past proclamations. They most likely realize that Allen will eventually start, but they just want Peterman to get in for a little while so they can claim he is somewhat legit (but he blows).

There needs to be a new term for when someone digs a hole for themselves on social media. It's a big problem these days (especially regarding politics), with people more worried about being humiliated by their everlasting public postings, than things progressing. No one wants to let go, and just say "I was wrong".

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Soooo... if Allen looks ready in Training Camp and Preseason, are you saying wait til you really know he's ready??? How do you determine it, then? :blink:

The Oline protection is an important factor in any QB's ability to execute, just like the coaching/ system and the supporting cast.

All question marks that will stay question marks until the Bills face real competition in the regular season.

You get that right? that its not just Allen? and young QB prospects can learn bad habits when they lack adequate protection? Or struggle when the supporting cast is also learning a new O?

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 5

25 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Seriously lost track of what you are trying to say. Do you think McD and Beane are a joke?  Are you for or against Nate practicing? Serious questions.  Not trying to be a wise guy....you lost me.

.sincerely apologize for the confusing babble.....FIRST: McBeane and McD are the best "real deal" post Polian IMO......show me otherwise and cite examples from the gang of misfits, unqualified, ineptitudes or over the hill gang with new tires that were better....easy answer?..NONE....mumblin', stumblin', grumblin' comes to mind....now on to Peterman....first who in their right mind short of an a-hole would hope a kid FAILS in strving to achieve his life long NFL dream?...who?...a jealous posting azz clown with his keyboard under his desk for bravado?...Peterman was a damn FIFTH......and I will NEVER back off my assertion that the SD start was due to Dennison's "fine whine" because he didn't want to work with TT...McD caved and took the hit....so despite it all, Nate comes back working his azz off in OTA's and camp, earning some pretty positive reports for the same LOWLY FIFTH?...do I like that perseverance and work ethic?.....you betcha...whether he 's 1, 2 or PS, I like this kid's moxy .....turds hope he fails........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.sincerely apologize for the confusing babble.....FIRST: McBeane and McD are the best "real deal" post Polian IMO......show me otherwise and cite examples from the gang of misfits, unqualified, ineptitudes or over the hill gang with new tires that were better....easy answer?..NONE....mumblin', stumblin', grumblin' comes to mind....now on to Peterman....first who in their right mind short of an a-hole would hope a kid FAILS in strving to achieve his life long NFL dream?...who?...a jealous posting azz clown with his keyboard under his desk for bravado?...Peterman was a damn FIFTH......and I will NEVER back off my assertion that the SD start was due to Dennison's "fine whine" because he didn't want to work with TT...McD caved and took the hit....so despite it all, Nate comes back working his azz off in OTA's and camp, earning some pretty positive reports for the same LOWLY FIFTH?...do I like that perseverance and work ethic?.....you betcha...whether he 's 1, 2 or PS, I like this kid's moxy .....turds hope he fails........

Agree 100%. Thanks for the clarification!  Go Bills....everyone of them!!!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

What????

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Oh, yeah, agree

Do some of you think that McD & Beane would waste the teams time on a player that showed no promise. ? You are deluding yourselves in a aura of negativity spread by some of the  know everything's  on TBD.  The sycophant  followers  don't know any better than spew  what the know everythings  say. Have  some balls  and express  YOUR  opinion  and  realize that they may be wrong , especially when the  F.O. of the team is doing  exactly what the KE's  detest. 

Nate Peterman ran a really fun offense at Pitt.  Their upset win in Clemson, the soon to be NCAA Champs, was epic.  I think his personality fits that of a #2 more than  #1.  He seems to be a "walk the walk" Christian and the Bills coaches seem to think highly of him.  This does not make him trash.

Frank Reich had a nice career at Maryland.  The 2nd half comeback he lead to upset the Miami Hurricanes, the NCAA Champs from the previous season, was epic.  He was a great #2 to Jim Kelly and his personality fit that role perfectly.  Early in his NFL career he rarely looked good in preseason games and most fans questioned why the coaching staff thought so highly of him and believed the team would be in big trouble if he were ever called upon in a tough spot.

I just want whoever is best to play but I’ll also respond to one persons comment. Peterman doesn’t have a “noodle” arm.  He also isn’t Josh Allen but he has enough of an arm to make all the throws. 

Edited by SoCoBills

5 hours ago, Figster said:

The Oline protection is an important factor in any QB's ability to execute, just like the coaching/ system and the supporting cast.

All question marks that will stay question marks until the Bills face real competition in the regular season.

You get that right? that its not just Allen? and young QB prospects can learn bad habits when they lack adequate protection? Or struggle when the supporting cast is also learning a new O?

Do you think the only position McDermott is assessing is QB?

There seems to be this universal belief that our OL is going to suck and that belief is one of the main driving forces behind the reasoning as to why we shouldn't start Allen and I find it odd and a little humorous.

I've said many times if our OL is atrocious, Allen shouldn't start. However, I've also said many times I think our OL is going to be a helluva lot better than expected. 

McDermott is going to have a level of comfort he needs with every player at every position in order to start him.

Do you think McDermott and Beane were just like, "oh well, we aren't happy with our OL, but we'll just deal with them sucking for the time-being" 

OR

Could it be that McDermott and Beane--reliant on scouting within the team, throughout the NFL, and in college--are actually very happy with the OL roster they've assembled?

Unknown is not always bad...

Actually, more like unknown to fans is probably not unknown to coaches and GMs.

1 hour ago, SoCoBills said:

I just want whoever is best to play but I’ll also respond to one persons comment. Peterman doesn’t have a “noodle” arm.  He also isn’t Josh Allen but he has enough of an arm to make all the throws. 

You're responding to me, and no he doesn't have enough of an arm to make all the throws... at least he didn't in 2017. See almost any throw to the sidelines last year.

Here's one:

11 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

There seems to be this universal belief that our OL is going to suck and that belief is one of the main driving forces behind the reasoning as to why we shouldn't start Allen and I find it odd and a little humorous.

I've said many times if our OL is atrocious, Allen shouldn't start. However, I've also said many times I think our OL is going to be a helluva lot better than expected. 

McDermott is going to have a level of comfort he needs with every player at every position in order to start him.

Do you think McDermott and Beane were just like, "oh well, we aren't happy with our OL, but we'll just deal with them sucking for the time-being" 

OR

Could it be that McDermott and Beane--reliant on scouting within the team, throughout the NFL, and in college--are actually very happy with the OL roster they've assembled?

The last two lines of your post are probably the truest words you have ever written on TBD.  It goes for every player on the roster .

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

OR

You're responding to me, and no he doesn't have enough of an arm to make all the throws... at least he didn't in 2017. See almost any throw to the sidelines last year.

Here's one:

I see the time stamp is January 7th.  I think the ball finally arrived in May

• Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

With each passing day it seems like there is no reason to make Allen wait. If he’s pretty much as good as the other two guys now, let’s get the learning curve out of the way. Our defense is going to be good and Shady is still great. Might not a better time to ease him in. Just go for it. 

WE have a brutal opening schedule with so many road games. It is hard to win in the NFL on the road.   Historically the fans of this team have been ready to run any QB out of town quickly if they didn't start well out of the gates.  Why put Allen in  a situation where the odds of him winning his first 5-6 games is low.

41 minutes ago, ganesh said:

WE have a brutal opening schedule with so many road games. It is hard to win in the NFL on the road.   Historically the fans of this team have been ready to run any QB out of town quickly if they didn't start well out of the gates.  Why put Allen in  a situation where the odds of him winning his first 5-6 games is low.

The first 2 games are very winnable and the packers defense is always terrible. I’m not saying they aren’t tough at home, but it’s because of Rogers. This is big boy Football. These are grown men. I’m not going to not play a guy because of who we are playing...If Allen is the best guy we have, play him. There is no reason not to. The only way to learn, is to play. Let’s see how the preseason goes here but if things stay the way they are now. I say start Allen week 1.

• Like (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, ganesh said:

So he can learn and get better?

This idea of conceding games, or wringing your hands based on the opponent's performance the year before is ridiculous. Every season is different. In those towns they are probably talking about how the Bills were a playoff team last year.

If he is the better guy, put him in. If the idea is to ease him in, just focus on ball control, and the running game. 

It's not a big deal.

I don’t think Peterman is good, but the reason he appeals to me is because he drops back and let’s it rip (well, rip might be exaggerating but, he drops back and throws it) as opposed to what we’ve had at qb for the past few years.  He’s also somewhat athletic, meaning he’s capable of tucking and running for the 1st (and then getting KO’d).  That’s what’s appealing to me.  Not much else though,

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t think Peterman is good, but the reason he appeals to me is because he drops back and let’s it rip (well, rip might be exaggerating but, he drops back and throws it) as opposed to what we’ve had at qb for the past few years.  He’s also somewhat athletic, meaning he’s capable of tucking and running for the 1st (and then getting KO’d).  That’s what’s appealing to me.  Not much else though,

Peterman with the physical talent of Allen could be really good.... ?

I think many people would agree that they like the gunslinger mentality better than the play-it-safe mentality.

• Like (+1) 1