Lamar Jackson - Rough Debut

H2o

I didn't watch it all but he seemed super fast as a runner... which means nothing much in terms of if he can be a successful NFL QB. Just that he is entertaining to watch. Unless they suck, having him and RG3 is still a pretty damn scary backup QB stable! Flacco must be feeling some heat. And RG3's ego must be hurting - he went from a BIG star to backup, and now even the new guy is taking all the spotlight!

What I didn't get any difference, it's in the kickoff game, but most that I saw went in the end zone as usual... I thought the teams would have wanted to test this new rule and eveluate their players instead of playing it safe for  a win that means nothing!

Edited by Jerome007

I didn't even think Jackson's running looked particularly dynamic.  The NFL is just a different game.  Who knows, maybe he'll develop into a viable starter, but that really wasn't pretty to watch.

59 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not as rough as the debut of the Helmet Rule....

but yeah I’d say Flacco’s job is safe for now 

Btw is there a bigger recent WR bust than Breshad Perriman

yes Kevin White

41 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

He looked like a rookie in his debut.  I don’t think you can really take anything else away other than that.  It’s way too early to use his limited work as a way to evaluate him as a QB.

That's about where I'm at.  I was never on the Jackson bandwagon, but I'm not going to label him a bust for a while either.

He's a rookie and he has to learn.  I saw what I thought, a young QB with potential who made mistakes.    This thing of rookie QB's coming into the league and being great right away is unfortunate.   Remember Savior Peterman threw 5 ints his first start and people were still saying give him a chance.  Just be patient and watch what he does moving forward. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not as rough as the debut of the Helmet Rule....

but yeah I’d say Flacco’s job is safe for now 

Btw is there a bigger recent WR bust than Breshad Perriman

Yes.

Kevin White.

1 hour ago, Soda Popinski said:

Miami has a couple of flat out busts.   Parker is right there. 

Parker has shown flashes as was on pace for about 96 catches and 1100 yards before he (shocker) got hurt.

This is his year to step up and stay healthy.

18 minutes ago, eball said:

I didn't even think Jackson's running looked particularly dynamic.  The NFL is just a different game.  Who knows, maybe he'll develop into a viable starter, but that really wasn't pretty to watch.

Agreed.  I was most interested to see if he would be able to run like he did in college.  He’s going to have that element of his game essestiallly stripped away.  Sure, he’ll break off the occasional long run, but it is clear that NFL speed is entirely different than college.

What is left?  A mediocre passer?  Not bashing the kid or saying he’s a bust, but he clearly is a project.

37 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It's kinda hard to tackle with your shoulder pads if your head is always in the way. You thought instant replay slowed down games, watch the flags fly on this new rule.

I did not see this one..I am assuming they called this a penalty? If so...the game will become just firing balls over the middle ..between OI and now this, almost impossible to defend against the big fellas inside...Gronk might have 48 TDs .

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think anyone should expect any of the rookie QBs to start week 1. They all need to learn the pro game and acclimate to the speed of the game. This is not college ball anymore where they could literally be successful just based on their own natural abilities. Ideally, AJ starts the season and Allen sits and learns for most of the season. With their Bye week in week 11, they can decide if Allen has progressed enough to start, or stay with AJ if they are still in playoff contention at that point. You don't want to throw Allen to the wolves for no good reason too early. It will be interesting to see which team starts their rookie QB first...

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought Jackson made some good reads and some good throws.  He was off on the pick, they didn't show enough for me to see if that was mechanics - he has known problems throwing to his left, he doesn't set his feet right.  Sure they're working with him on that. 

I don't know what you're saying about him as a passer, but there were some nice throws including into some tight quarters and from roll-outs.  He also made some first downs with his feet.  He better learn to slide though.

Typical if the things he did at Louisville. Less accurate the further the ball goes down field and in many instances his passes, though they are in the "catch radius", they are completions that will prevent YAC. A couple of nice throws, just like in college as well. The level of comp has risen. The windows are smaller.