Lamar Jackson - Rough Debut

H2o

5 hours ago, H2o said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24270551/baltimore-ravens-rookie-qb-lamar-jackson-build-uneven-preseason-debut-john-harbaugh-says

Yes, it is the Pre-Season. Yes, Harbaugh still talks Jackson up. Yes, he was playing with the two's and three's. Watching him play though and you will see his transition is going to take a while, if he does manage to come around. He showed some athleticism on one of his runs, but was mainly held in check. This was something I thought may be the case once he got to the NFL playing from the QB position. You are going against the best of the best week in and week out. The things he did in college, though electrifying, do not mean he will be able to do the same things in the NFL. The pick he threw was indicative of what I was saying of him as a passer. I'm watching all of the rookie QB's in the Pre-Season to see how they look in live game action, how they progress through the weeks leading up, and if they are showing growth at the position or not. 

“A rookie’s first pre-season game confirms what I thought of him.”

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Max Fischer said:

“A rookie’s first pre-season game confirms what I thought of him.”

He displayed the same exact traits that he did in college, which in turn made me not like him as an NFL prospect. There is quite a detailed thread in the college football section where we all talked about him. Go read up and keep watching him play my friend. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, H2o said:

The pick he threw was indicative of what I was saying of him as a passer.

Peterman threw the exact same pick with much lower velocity, tailor made for a cornerback biting.

But whatever. Jackson didn't play well, but can we discuss that wack offense? He had bootlegs and gadget playcalls that simply had unassigned blockers.. like the OC didn't know jack about an athletic quarterback and was drawing up plays "what if... We run a bootleg and send our blockers down field and Jackson dekes 3 lineman? We're playing 11-8 when we got a guy like Jackson"

4 hours ago, H2o said:

He displayed the same exact traits that he did in college, which in turn made me not like him as an NFL prospect. There is quite a detailed thread in the college football section where we all talked about him. Go read up and keep watching him play my friend. :thumbsup:

Watched him often, he has the potential to be a superstar. No guarantee he will turn out that way but doesn’t make sense to dismiss his generational athletic ability. 

11 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Watched him often, he has the potential to be a superstar. No guarantee he will turn out that way but doesn’t make sense to dismiss his generational athletic ability. 

As did I. I'm not saying he wasn't electric with the ball in his hands at Louisville. I do however see many flaws when he throws the ball. I am also saying I do not think he'll make it as a QB in the NFL because of what he does when forced to strictly play QB. Just my 2. You don't have to agree. He did have a rough go last night as well and didn't stand out. 

I know that we are all interested in seeing how the rookie QBs look, but remember it is HARD to play QB in the NFL.  There is a learning curve and it isn't prudent to give up on a young QB early.  Troy Aikman had a very good career, in in his first 3 NFL seasons combined he threw 31 TDs and 46 INTS.  For some (most) of these guys it takes some time.

On 8/3/2018 at 10:36 AM, GunnerBill said:

White, Parker, Perriman, Dorsett - all same draft class.  While Agholor isn't quite bust he hasn't been a complete success either.  Even Amari Cooper struggled last year. 

They were the 2015 1st round WRs.  

Well at least they got the best WR in this draft as soon as he decides he isn't a QB

On 8/3/2018 at 11:41 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Agreed.  I was most interested to see if he would be able to run like he did in college.  He’s going to have that element of his game essestiallly stripped away.  Sure, he’ll break off the occasional long run, but it is clear that NFL speed is entirely different than college.

What is left?  A mediocre passer?  Not bashing the kid or saying he’s a bust, but he clearly is a project.

His legs will be more of a threat when he becomes a consistent threat to throw.

On 8/3/2018 at 11:42 AM, plenzmd1 said:

I did not see this one..I am assuming they called this a penalty? If so...the game will become just firing balls over the middle ..between OI and now this, almost impossible to defend against the big fellas inside...Gronk might have 48 TDs .

It's the end of football as we know it.  They already started preparing us for the change to flag football.

• Like (+1) 1