Lamar Jackson - Rough Debut

H2o

In other news, we landed on the moon.

Jackson was a one read college QB who scrambled all the time. Shocking he struggled last night and will continue to struggle in the NFL...

He looked like a deer in headlights when he faced pressure from third stringers last night. He tried scrambling but was stopped every time because again, this is the NFL not Eastern Kentucky Tech State A&M.

He’ll be out of league in no time.

2 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Scorp can chill on the Jackson > Allen hot takes for a bit now. 

Right?

He’ll still turn it into a race thing. That guy is awful and should’ve been fired from WGR a very long time ago.

On Jackson's case in pre-season 1?

I have no opinion on how he will turn out, but if Allen under-performs in pre-season 1, and someone comments on it, he will be scorched as an idiot.

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

I did not see this one..I am assuming they called this a penalty? If so...the game will become just firing balls over the middle ..between OI and now this, almost impossible to defend against the big fellas inside...Gronk might have 48 TDs .

Since helmet made initial contact, wouldn't that be a penalty even under the previous rule?

10 minutes ago, McBean said:

In other news, we landed on the moon.

Jackson was a one read college QB who scrambled all the time. Shocking he struggled last night and will continue to struggle in the NFL...

He looked like a deer in headlights when he faced pressure from third stringers last night. He tried scrambling but was stopped every time because again, this is the NFL not Eastern Kentucky Tech State A&M.

He’ll be out of league in no time.

Right?

He’ll still turn it into a race thing. That guy is awful and should’ve been fired from WGR a very long time ago.

Lamar Jackson had 300 yards and 3 tds against Clemson.  You might want to check out Josh Allen’s game logs before you start throwing stones at Jackson.

i don’t get the point of calling a guy a bust after one game.  IMO, the two riskiest first round qbs were Allen and Jackson.  But to call either of them busts after a half of football is just dumb.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not as rough as the debut of the Helmet Rule....

but yeah I’d say Flacco’s job is safe for now 

Btw is there a bigger recent WR bust than Breshad Perriman

Kevin White on Chicago. He was a top 10pick and Has done nothing 

Perriman was late first 

Lamar Jackson is, was, and always has been the epitome of a "bust" waiting to happen.

That's not based on last night or a 1 game judgment.  Just wait a while if you don't believe me.

Had the game on tape-delay in the background.  Once they started the procession of sappy interviews with the HOF inductees during gameplay, had to turn it off.

They weren't even really covering the game at that point.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

I watched a lot of Louisville football last year and I just don't think he is going to make it as a QB in the NFL.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

White, Parker, Perriman, Dorsett - all same draft class.  While Agholor isn't quite bust he hasn't been a complete success either.  Even Amari Cooper struggled last year. 

They were the 2015 1st round WRs.  

Where have you gone Calvin Johnson and Marvin Harrison?   It seems college is no longer putting forward quality WRs as they have in the past

Just now, John from Riverside said:

I dont know if I am ready to say that Lamar Jackson is going to be a bust in the NFL.....he did have some good throws as well.

Just too early to tell....but what I CAN see from last night.....

Flacco's job is safe for now

Lamar isnt going to outrun everyone in the NFL

From the highlights I saw this morning his legs aren’t as explosive as TT’s, forget about Vick. 

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Agreed.  I was most interested to see if he would be able to run like he did in college.  He’s going to have that element of his game essestiallly stripped away.  Sure, he’ll break off the occasional long run, but it is clear that NFL speed is entirely different than college.

What is left?  A mediocre passer?  Not bashing the kid or saying he’s a bust, but he clearly is a project.

I didn't see the game, is he a better runner than TT  ?

39 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Lamar Jackson is, was, and always has been the epitome of a "bust" waiting to happen.

That's not based on last night or a 1 game judgment.  Just wait a while if you don't believe me.

Had the game on tape-delay in the background.  Once they started the procession of sappy interviews with the HOF inductees during gameplay, had to turn it off.

They weren't even really covering the game at that point.

Come on man, it's the hall of fame game, lol.  It's an extra game at that.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

From the highlights I saw this morning his legs aren’t as explosive as TT’s, forget about Vick. 

It was rumored that Vick ran a 4.20 40 yard dash at VT when he was in college. Jackson is not that fast and Vick was built thicker than Jackson is as well. Like I said before, the NFL is the best of the best. Players are faster, stronger, and smarter than the ones you see in college week in and week out. Windows are smaller, gaps close quicker, and the instincts of the defenders are better. The NFL figured out Kaep and RGIII fairly quick. If he can't stand back in the pocket and sling the ball around he's in for a journeyman career at best. I think TT is probably the upper echelon of what Jackson could hope for. That's just my opinion though. He may prove me wrong. I still think he ends up more like Kordell Stewart tbh. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, H2o said:

It was rumored that Vick ran a 4.20 40 yard dash at VT when he was in college. Jackson is not that fast and Vick was built thicker than Jackson is as well. Like I said before, the NFL is the best of the best. Players are faster, stronger, and smarter than the ones you see in college week in and week out. Windows are smaller, gaps close quicker, and the instincts of the defenders are better. The NFL figured out Kaep and RGIII fairly quick. If he can't stand back in the pocket and sling the ball around he's in for a journeyman career at best. I think TT is probably the upper echelon of what Jackson could hope for. That's just my opinion though. He may prove me wrong. I still think he ends up more like Kordell Stewart tbh. 

I never had high hopes for him but I thought he would look more explosive running with the ball. Time will tell I guess. 

9 minutes ago, 1st&ten said:

I didn't see the game, is he a better runner than TT  ?

Not yet. He got caught in jukes and jives and tackles that u wuda seen tt juke out of, he also missed a few easy completions while looking for bigger throws and then not finding them leading to a half ass scramble, which is a TT staple.

6 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I believe him to be, but he didn’t show it last night.  I will say, however, that his protection was less than great.  

He didnt look anywhere close to as fast as his college tape was. I dont really judge rookies in preseason.

Tyrod didnt have the best protection here either.

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Kevin White. Same draft class as Perriman, except he went 7th overall (Perriman went 26th) in 2015. Out of a possible 48 games over three seasons, White has been on the field for exactly five games. Missed entire rookie year with injuries. Played in four games in 2016 and caught a whopping 19 passes. Injured in the 2017 season opener and missed all of that year as well. Perriman also missed all of 2015. Caught 33 balls for 499 yards and three TD's in 2016 but was an absolute non-factor for all of 2017. Only 10 catches for 77 yards. Yeesh.

And, it's still early for him, but Corey Davis might soon find himself lumped in this group. Held out last year, missed a lot of camp and pre-season. Did play in 11 games, 35 receptions for 375 yards, no touchdowns. Caught his first two touchdowns against the Pats in the Divisional Round of last season's playoffs. In a new offense, could be trending upwards if they decide to move away from Mike Mularkey's run-first mentality. 

The other two receivers taken in the first round in 2017 also didn't fare very well. Mike Williams (7th overall, Chargers) had 11 receptions for 95 yards for the whole season. I believe he also held out or had a lot of rehab to do that lasted through the pre-season and maybe partially into the regular season, can't remember for sure. And then there's John Ross (9th overall, Bengals), numerous injuries and some off-field stuff kept him out of games. Zero catches. They used him on a reverse that went for 12 yards and that's his entire stat sheet for 2017. Again, it's still really early for these guys. Things would point towards Cincinnati expecting a lot more from Ross this season given that they just cut LaFell. Williams, I'm sure, will be expected to be the #2 behind Keenan Allen. And I'm pretty sure Tennessee wants Davis to take a hold of the #1 WR spot for them.

But so far... not a great start for the first round receivers last year. 

Edited by blacklabel

Kevin White, Tevon Austin, Treadwell and John Ross could be heading there as well

That first penalty was a joke.  When you lunge or reach to make a tackle, your head naturally drops.  The rule may become known as the "neck sprain (or worse)" or "let your face take the blow" rule.  Hopefully, the refs will fade over time in enforcing it, except for the most egregious incidents.