Mahomes Struggling in Camp

H2o

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

History tells us Andy Reid will figure out how to make it work.   His track record while relying on a ton of mostly sub-franchise level QB's is impressive. 

If Mahomes isn't ready to dissect defenses he has Watkins and Tyreke Hill......that's enough deep ball power alone to create space for a strong running game and ease Mahomes into a more complex passing game.

Yeah, the 2nd overall pick he was saddled with must have been a tough sub level QB to deal with.

And let’s not mention the other 2 number one overall picks he’s had as QB’s.. Lots of sub level QB’s there.

Andy Reid’s QB genius might be the one thing on this board more overrated than Mighty Taco.

2 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Yeah, the 2nd overall pick he was saddled with must have been a tough sub level QB to deal with.

And let’s not mention the other 2 number one overall picks he’s had as QB’s.. Lots of sub level QB’s there.

Andy Reid’s QB genius might be the one thing on this board more overrated than Mighty Taco.

Fact, all number 2 drafted qbs have been excellent nfl players!  Even though Reid seems to always have top 10 offenses, no matter who his qb is, he’s overrated!

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Fact, all number 2 drafted qbs have been excellent nfl players!  Even though Reid seems to always have top 10 offenses, no matter who his qb is, he’s overrated!

I’ve never seen anyone easier than you.

I took out my Biscuit symbol and flashed it over the dark Gotham skies.

Boom. Here you are.

49 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

What is a "sub level QB"?   Substitution level?

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Haha.  This thread is hilarious.  Allen throws for 60 yards = GOAT.  Mahomes throws the ball in the air for more yards than Allen did in his game = JP Losman!!!

You also know Mahomes started a game his rookie year. JP did not. Mahomes threw for 284 in a road win.  Losman didn’t start until his 2nd year and was dreadful.  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LosmJ.00/gamelog/2005/

its ok to really like Allen.  But this thread is so irrationally trying to hate Mahomes.  It’s kinda embarrassing. 

Why do you care?  Is he the QB of your team?  Is he your BFF?

As for the Losman comparison, I was all-in on Mahomes until a week or so before the draft when I heard him speak and saw his mannerisms.  It was then that I said no thanks.  Now I think subconsciously he reminded me of JP.  We'll see who is right eventually.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I loved watching Jim Kelly’s preseason games.  Oh wait, I didn’t because they didn’t matter. 

Mahomes/ Allen could threw 8 tds or 8 ints next game and it still doesn’t matter.  EJ Manuel had a perfect passing rating in game 3 of the preseason against the Steelers.  It doesn’t matter. 

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&conference=null&season=2018&seasonType=PRE&d-447263-s=PASSING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

Well then don't comment on passes you haven't seen then.  It's a really bad look SeaMuffin.

Stats don't tell the whole story.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Haha (+1) 1

@Zerovotlz you should be concerned about your own QB.  Bucky Brooks review and grade for preseason week 2: 

Kansas City Chiefs: Patrick Mahomes, QB. The second-year gunslinger is a "wow" playmaker, but he's still a work in progress when it comes to efficiency. Despite a pretty impressive stat line (completed 8 of 12 passes for 138 yards with a touchdown and an interception), Mahomes got away with a few questionable throws that should have been picked off by sticky-handed defenders. Now, he did fire off a 69-yard touchdown throw to Tyreek Hill that was absolutely ridiculous, but the splash play isn't enough to ignore some of the rough patches in his game. Grade: B-

10 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

@Zerovotlz you should be concerned about your own QB.  Bucky Brooks review and grade for preseason week 2: 

Kansas City Chiefs: Patrick Mahomes, QB. The second-year gunslinger is a "wow" playmaker, but he's still a work in progress when it comes to efficiency. Despite a pretty impressive stat line (completed 8 of 12 passes for 138 yards with a touchdown and an interception), Mahomes got away with a few questionable throws that should have been picked off by sticky-handed defenders. Now, he did fire off a 69-yard touchdown throw to Tyreek Hill that was absolutely ridiculous, but the splash play isn't enough to ignore some of the rough patches in his game. Grade: B-

This is a good assesment....Mahomes looked pretty good.  One throw was AWFUL.  and it was picked.  The other near pick, was iffy....the WR (Watkins) should have kept moving....but you could call it either way I guess.....Mahomes had thrown a TD pass the prior play that was called back for a very tacky RT lined up off the line of scrimmage call...but that happens.  Mahomes will have some moments that make you bang your head on a wall.  We expect that for every one of those, he'll make some plays that make the difference in a game most of the time.....and maybe an occasiona Patomic Bomb.

9 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

This is a good assesment....Mahomes looked pretty good.  One throw was AWFUL.  and it was picked.  The other near pick, was iffy....the WR (Watkins) should have kept moving....but you could call it either way I guess.....Mahomes had thrown a TD pass the prior play that was called back for a very tacky RT lined up off the line of scrimmage call...but that happens.  Mahomes will have some moments that make you bang your head on a wall.  We expect that for every one of those, he'll make some plays that make the difference in a game most of the time.....and maybe an occasiona Patomic Bomb.

Pick any big time QB then from the first round that was supposed to be somebody. Cade McNown...Jim Druckenmiller.....Joey Harrington....pick one or all....I'll go find preseason game summarys for all of them if you want....you are missing my point.  Mahomes is playing vanilla defenses, who aren't discguising coverages etc..they aren't gameplanning for him...like every game 1 and 2 of preseason ever.  Mahomes has looked pretty good so far....and he should.  I still don't think he'll make it (I am just a nobody on a message board with an opinion)  ....I'd temper my expectations until I'd seen him against some NFL defesnes who are gameplanning, playing all their starters etc.  That's it...I am not saying Mahomes is Leaf or Russel or Jeff George or Jim Kelly, Aaron Rodgers etc....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im confused, why is there a 14 page thread on the home page of the Buffalo Bills about a Kansas City Chief player?

Because many on TSW wanted the Bills to select Mahomes in the 2017 draft and have been following his development in KC.  No harm in that IMO. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, syhuang said:

Pick any big time QB then from the first round that was supposed to be somebody. Cade McNown...Jim Druckenmiller.....Joey Harrington....pick one or all....I'll go find preseason game summarys for all of them if you want....you are missing my point.  Mahomes is playing vanilla defenses, who aren't discguising coverages etc..they aren't gameplanning for him...like every game 1 and 2 of preseason ever.  Mahomes has looked pretty good so far....and he should.  I still don't think he'll make it (I am just a nobody on a message board with an opinion)  ....I'd temper my expectations until I'd seen him against some NFL defesnes who are gameplanning, playing all their starters etc.  That's it...I am not saying Mahomes is Leaf or Russel or Jeff George or Jim Kelly, Aaron Rodgers etc....

This would be a great example of IRONY except that instead of fans all speculating etc....the Chiefs front office and staff drafted the guy....then having seen him for a whole year in their system, practices, preseason and 3 quarters of a no implication regular season game.....they made the statement that they have a known quantity when they traded away Alex Smith who still had a year at 17 million left on his contract.  The enthusiasm for Mahomes at this point is based on something other than preseason games.  The staff told everyone very loudly that know they have something when they moved on from Smith voluntarily.

1 minute ago, Zerovotlz said:

This would be a great example of IRONY except that instead of fans all speculating etc....the Chiefs front office and staff drafted the guy....then having seen him for a whole year in their system, practices, preseason and 3 quarters of a no implication regular season game.....they made the statement that they have a known quantity when they traded away Alex Smith who still had a year at 17 million left on his contract.  The enthusiasm for Mahomes at this point is based on something other than preseason games.  The staff told everyone very loudly that know they have something when they moved on from Smith voluntarily.

Or they didn't want to pay him 17m and have him beat out the guy they traded two #1s for. 

1 minute ago, Zerovotlz said:

Same applies for Allen. 

Who's still thrown for as many TDs and less INTs than Mahomes in the pros.

30 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Or they didn't want to pay him 17m and have him beat out the guy they traded two #1s for. 

....Exactly....They didn't want to pay 17 M to a guy to sit on the bench who was going to lose his job to Pat Mahomes.  The guy on the bench would be the 2017 "Passer Rating Leader" and a pro bowler.  .....That is why we are excited...we beleive we have someone good enough to beat out the NFL passer rating leader, etc.  It was exciting drafting him...but everyone is excited when they draft a new QB...if he sucked Smith wouldn't have been traded.  Not quite the same as being exicted after 2 pre season games (and yes, the fans in KC were every bit as giddy after 2 Mahomes preseason games as Bills fans are for Allen)  

Just now, Zerovotlz said:

....Exactly....They didn't want to pay 17 M to a guy to sit on the bench who was going to lose his job to Pat Mahomes.  The guy on the bench would be the 2017 "Passer Rating Leader" and a pro bowler.  .....That is why we are excited...we beleive we have someone good enough to beat out the NFL passer rating leader, etc.  It was exciting drafting him...but everyone is excited when they draft a new QB...if he sucked Smith wouldn't have been traded.  Not quite the same as being exicted after 2 pre season games (and yes, the fans in KC were every bit as giddy after 2 Mahomes preseason games as Bills fans are for Allen)  

You can't say "exactly" and then completely disagree with what I posted. It's against the rules. 

• Haha (+1) 1

"Just based off what I saw last year, I think Allen is more talented than Mahomes. I would take him over Patrick Mahomes. I think he's got better feet, quicker feet, he's more natural," Jeremiah said during the latest Move The Sticks Podcast. "He's under center, so in some of those things, he's ahead of Mahomes, but they have the same strengths and the same weaknesses."

Jeremiah wasn't necessarily as big a fan of Mahomes as were the Kansas City Chiefs, who traded up to make the former Texas Tech star the draft's No. 10 pick. In fact, Mahomes wasn't on Jeremiah's final pre-draft list of thetop 50 prospects. Analyst Bucky Brooks sees Allen as less of a developmental project than Mahomes, as well.

"To me, Allen would probably be able to get on the field sooner than Mahomes," Brooks said. "If both guys had to play right now, I think you could probably win more games with Allen, because I think Mahomes is going to have more turnovers." ~ Daniel Jeremiah (from 2017)

For what it's worth Allen is likely going into year one as the starter. You can say it's because he isn't behind a competent vet like Alex Smith and in Buffalo it's a different situation. In many respects you would be right. It also could be that with Allen's skillset and mental capacity he is just more Pro-ready. I'm not saying either are HOF bound and I'm not saying either are destined to be busts of a different nature. Me personally, I wasn't sold on Mahomes as a prospect and regardless of whom his head coach may be I'm still not. One 69 yard pass to one of the fastest men in the NFL during a preseason game doesn't do it for me. Is it encouraging if you're a Chiefs fan? I'm sure it is after dealing with a QB who was typically scared to throw the ball more than 25 yards. It is encouraging for Bills fans the way Josh Allen has handled himself and the strides he has made since his season ended at Wyoming last year. Absolutely. There is a lot involved in this and it can be extremely detailed. Too much to post. We'll let time and the play on the field speak for itself. Truthfully when I started this thread I did so to laugh at all of the Mahomes nut jugglers who would come out of the woodworks in defense of their man-crush. It hasn't let me down, but I can't stop thinking "Only if Jeffismagic was still here." :lol:  Either way, carry on gentleman. It is quite entertaining. :thumbsup:

Edited by H2o
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

"Just based off what I saw last year, I think Allen is more talented than Mahomes. I would take him over Patrick Mahomes. I think he's got better feet, quicker feet, he's more natural," Jeremiah said during the latest Move The Sticks Podcast. "He's under center, so in some of those things, he's ahead of Mahomes, but they have the same strengths and the same weaknesses."

Jeremiah wasn't necessarily as big a fan of Mahomes as were the Kansas City Chiefs, who traded up to make the former Texas Tech star the draft's No. 10 pick. In fact, Mahomes wasn't on Jeremiah's final pre-draft list of thetop 50 prospects. Analyst Bucky Brooks sees Allen as less of a developmental project than Mahomes, as well.

"To me, Allen would probably be able to get on the field sooner than Mahomes," Brooks said. "If both guys had to play right now, I think you could probably win more games with Allen, because I think Mahomes is going to have more turnovers." ~ Daniel Jeremiah (from 2017)

For what it's worth Allen is likely going into year one as the starter. You can say it's because he isn't behind a competent vet like Alex Smith and in Buffalo it's a different situation. In many respects you would be right. It also could be that with Allen's skillset and mental capacity he is just more Pro-ready. I'm not saying either are HOF bound and I'm not saying either are destined to be busts of a different nature. Me personally, I wasn't sold on Mahomes as a prospect and regardless of whom his head coach may be I'm still not. One 69 yard pass to one of the fastest men in the NFL during a preseason game doesn't do it for me. Is it encouraging if you're a Chiefs fan? I'm sure it is after dealing with a QB who was typically scared to throw the ball more than 25 yards. It is encouraging for Bills fans the way Josh Allen has handled himself and the strides he has made since his season ended at Wyoming last year. There is a lot involved in this and it can be extremely detailed. Too much to post. We'll let time and the play on the field speak for itself. Truthfully when I started this thread I did so to laugh at all of the Mahomes nut jugglers who would come out of the woodworks in defense of their man-crush. It hasn't let me down, but I can't stop thinking "Only if Jeffismagic was still here." :lol:  Either way, carry on gentleman. It is quite entertaining. :thumbsup:

Hurry up and get here regular season!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zerovotlz said:

....Exactly....Mahomes has proven nothing on the field and it's only front office's confidence in him after seeing him during practice and in preseason games. Sounds quite familiar to Allen. ?

9 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

My view is still what it was some months ago when we discussed this.  I think you likely take a step back in 2018. Aside from the fact that I major questions about the KC defense I think Mahomes is going to turn it over more and put them in tougher spots than Smith did.  He will make more big plays that Smith did (probably aside from the first 6 games of last season where Smith was absolutely on fire) but more mistakes too.  I'd not be surprised if he ended up with something like 26 touchdowns and 18 picks this year. That is not necessarily grounds to panic either. I always thought coming out that Mahomes had a chance to be a franchise QB but that he was going to take some seasoning.... (similar to what I thought on Allen tbh, they had similar grades on my board) I think KC did the right thing sitting him a year and the right thing trading Smith now to let him play. They just have to be willing for him to take some lumps in what is essentially his rookie year. But say they had kept Smith another year..... that means it is year 3 before Mahomes starts and now you are about a year from having to make a decision on his 5th year option and you don't really know what you have yet. They have managed the timing right in my opinion.  

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Now this is quite the limb to climb out on.

Louis Riddick........... :lol: That's up there with James Jones saying Lamar Jackson would throw for 4000 yards this year. 

• Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I like Riddick.  He usually offers pretty sound analysis.

Just another arrogant blowhard imo. I'd put money on Goff having a better year than Mahomes without 2nd thought. 

5 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’m sure you we singing the praises of Goff after he had a worse rookie year than EJ Manuel.

And this is relevant to what I said in which possible way?

On 8/20/2018 at 10:02 PM, Kelly the Dog said:

You can't say "exactly" and then completely disagree with what I posted. It's against the rules. 

:lol: I read his response and my first reaction was “exactly HOW?”

...this "instant gratification and irrational exuberance" crap is pathetically laughable yet expected.....no way in hell Mahomes or last year's class or even this year's class needs ANY time to develop.....WHY?.....because the MB "experts" pounding away on their keyboards (OR ???) from under their desks told me so....stuck posting versus being NFL hired for their expertise (COUGH) must be a real beotch......in year 56 of following the Bills and the NFL, think I'll trust my (LARGE) gut versus the proverbial "pounders".....excessive punding can yield "blisters" though......good Lord.....NFL exec said 50 game window is logical for critical analysis and assessment....OBVIOUSLY NOT a TBD poster...SMH....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy