New Era Cap HIres Russ Brandon - The Company Reverses Course

5 minutes ago, KevinInThe781 said:

Curious what the terms of his employment were. If he had a signed contract w/certain clauses, as opposed to an at-will employee, Russ could be in for a nice payday for less than a day's work. 

Most corporate positions don’t do contracts for employees. It’s very possible he didn’t even start yet. At my company, once a candidate accepts the offer they show up in the system the next day once their status is updated, before any background checks have ever taken place. They may not even start for weeks. The offer can be rescinded at  any time.

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Sounds more like some people at New Era weren't pleased to have Russ on board.  

The latter ones yes.  The original reports about it just ooze Russ leaking it that he's getting hired for the job.

3 minutes ago, Don’t be THAT guy! said:

Chances the Pegulas made a call because of the relationship with both teams.

Like one poster said, super small town (fishbowl) and the naming rights to the stadium. The one corporation he can’t have a job with.

Why the hell would Russ stay in Buffalo after he was outed as a scumbag? He's either extremely arrogant or a huge dope (perhaps both).

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, vincec said:

Is it really necessary to black ball someone for life for a mistake they made? Just wondering.

Honestly, I don't like the guy. But, the whole "run him out of town" attitude here is ridiculous. 

43 minutes ago, stony said:

From what I've heard about the work atmosphere at New Era, Russ would've fit in well.   

Yep I've heard the same thing about New Era but I didn't wanna be the one to say anything but yes they probably sought out Russ once he was a free agent because of how well he will fit in with the culture there :D

5 hours ago, Lurker said:

Does that work at your company much?    LOL...

Chris Koch and Russ have been close friends for 25 years.   Trust isn't an issue, but optics might be...

Uh yes...that would be the issue at my employer and probably most employers of New Era’s size...not sure why that is laughable. Unless you’ve worked at a place with a particularly horrible boss I can’t believe you’d be surprised at that fact. Are you the 3rd Koch brother?

And of course it’s about optics, not trust.

5 hours ago, stony said:

From what I've heard about the work atmosphere at New Era, Russ would've fit in well.   

Heard from who? I have several family and friends working there, young and old and I’ve never heard that from them chief.

4 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Yep I've heard the same thing about New Era but I didn't wanna be the one to say anything but yes they probably sought out Russ once he was a free agent because of how well he will fit in with the culture there :D

Every place of employment is going to have a few ass-hats.

Do you think New Era has more than the avg??

Bwahahahaha.  Egg on New Era's face, big time.  Would have been a horrible look to hire Brandon after his dismissal from the Pegula Enterprise -- have to give old Tim Graham credit for breaking the story and the resulting social media storm that clearly impacted New Era's decision to reverse field.

For anyone who has a subscription to The Athletic today's story is hilarious -- it includes an audio recording of Tim calling New Era and accessing Brandon's extension from the company directory.  :lol:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, cba fan said:

That might well have been the problem.  Unconfirmed reports state that no sooner was he assigned a desk and a phone number, Brandon allegedly lobbied for a line of hats with double entendres:  'Have you had YOURS today?' was reputed to be first.  'Hug your secretary-REAL HARD' allegedly was next to roll out.

4 hours ago, cba fan said:

Do you think New Era has more than the avg??

My comment was in reference to hearing about stories where New Era has a work environment where sleeping around in the company is encouraged, to the point where there are lots of work parties and functions where spouses are specifically not allowed to attend.  I know this because I knew a guy who had a good position with the company whose wife made him leave the company  because she was aware of what was going on.  

Does this happen at other companies? Sure but I did get a good chuckle when I heard the news about Russ going to NE after hearing about those stories.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Uh yes...that would be the issue at my employer and probably most employers of New Era’s size...not sure why that is laughable. Unless you’ve worked at a place with a particularly horrible boss I can’t believe you’d be surprised at that fact. Are you the 3rd Koch brother?

And of course it’s about optics, not trust.

Heard from who? I have several family and friends working there, young and old and I’ve never heard that from them chief.

A good friend who worked there.  Also, when we moved back to Buffalo, a recruiter helping my wife find a new job made a similar comment.  Obviously the recruiter has bias, but it was an unprompted comment per my wife.   

49 minutes ago, stony said:

A good friend who worked there.  Also, when we moved back to Buffalo, a recruiter helping my wife find a new job made a similar comment.  Obviously the recruiter has bias, but it was an unprompted comment per my wife.   

Thanks fair enough I’ve spoke to quite a few people who work there since this Russ thing broke and they haven’t said anything like that to me...yet. Maybe they are holding out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

1 hour ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Thanks fair enough I’ve spoke to quite a few people who work there since this Russ thing broke and they haven’t said anything like that to me...yet. Maybe they are holding out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

People in sales, marketing and brand management?  Or the ones who sew hats?     

There's a world of difference between the NYC/LA-types brought in the past few years ("the cool kids") and the Derby folks who've been with the company a long time...    

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

People in sales, marketing and brand management?  Or the ones who sew hats?     

There's a world of difference between the NYC/LA-types brought in the past few years ("the cool kids") and the Derby folks who've been with the company a long time...    

Chinese children?

17 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Reading between the lines, if he's so tremendous, why is he gone?  Now it looks like the New Era gig won't happen either.

It had nothing to do with his job performance, and everything to do with the results of an internal ethics investigation, in the course of which he was found to have directly lied to the owners.  There aren't any lines to read between.

13 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Look, he cheated on his wife... in politics it often spells an end to a career generally.  For an organization such that preaches integrity character etc, it is bad optics so close to them... not sure if there is more to the story, but he left a lot of bad feelings around the Bills and Sabres doing his job... my feeling was it was just a nail in the coffin.  Sometimes guys like that are good hustlers and marketers and companies hire them as long as they stay below the radar.  Russ was exposed so now he is poison locally... probably needs to lay low for a while if he wants to stick around... nature of the beast.

It's not about cheating on his wife, it's about sleeping around within the company and lying to the owners about it.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Stop trying to make people go bilnd! :lol:

I can see it just fine...

I heard on the radio that yesterday was national orgasm day - When you were younger, didn't anyone ever tell you if you keep touching it you will go blind? That may be the root of your problem 0:)

15 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

Timmah really seems to have a hard-on for this story....

Yeah, he said as much in the comments section of The Athletic story.   What a dip$hi*...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sean K.
Great investigative work, Mr. Graham!

Tim Graham
@Sean K.   Not exactly Watergate, but I do get a charge out of scoops like this.

On 8/1/2018 at 7:45 AM, stony said:

Maybe the hats is just a front for a satanic sex cult

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Still working for the Bills.

"Hall had been the in-game host for the Sabres for the last six seasons. Her primary role is as a multimedia journalist for Pegula Sports and Entertainment, contributing to digital coverage of the Bills and Sabres.

https://buffalonews.com/2018/08/06/rich-gaenzler-97s-rocks-bull-adds-sabres-in-arena-host-to-duties/