Bills' 2018 Training Camp Day 3 - First Day in Pads

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

When it became a passing league. It’s the same reason that Brandon Spikes is out of the league. You can’t be a 1 and a half down player. As an example if a team is down 14 points at the start of the 4th Star might not play again.

It’s like being a low post scorer in the pace and space NBA. That skill just isn’t as valuable.

Now, I have hope that Star can be more than just a space eater. It looks like Phillips definitely can. You need to be able to put pressure in the QB in today’s NFL above all else on defense. That’s why pass rushers get paid like they do.

If a team is down 14 in the 4th, wouldn't the opposing team most likely be trying to run out the clock on the ground? If I remember correctly, we couldn't get back into the game last season for those because we'd get gutted on the ground and couldn't stop the opposing team's run offense.

2 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

If a team is down 14 in the 4th, wouldn't the opposing team most likely be trying to run out the clock on the ground? If I remember correctly, we couldn't get back into the game last season for those because we'd get gutted on the ground and couldn't stop the opposing team's run offense.

When the Bills are up 14. 

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

AJ McCarron looking like TT 2.0 with his ultra safe play so far at camp 

Not necessarily a bad thing

TT would make an excellent back up QB to a team......and if AJM ends up being a guy that could come in case of injury and win you 3 games.....that is a good thing....

Right now I am predicting

Peterman being released or sent to practice squad if possible

AJM starting the season with Josh Allen taking over perm at some point

or Josh Allen just flat winning the job and AJM is here to back him up

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

When the Bills are up 14. 

Is anyone really gonna complain if the bills are up 14 and star takes a seat in the 4th for a more adequate pass rush? It most likely means he did his job the first 3 quarters. 

That’s quite the “problem” to have. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Is anyone really gonna complain if the bills are up 14 and star takes a seat in the 4th for a more adequate pass rush? It most likely means he did his job the first 3 quarters. 

That’s quite the “problem” to have. 

No one is going to complain. Someone just asked “why is it considered a negative if someone is just a space eater?” In today’s pass happy NFL it is a negative because they aren’t on the field enough. I used the Brandon Spikes comparison for that because I think it’s valid. You HAVE to be a factor on passing downs.

Also, I’m not sure that Star can’t be. I don’t think that he is just some big slug in the middle. I think he can be useful on passing downs.

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No one is going to complain. Someone just asked “why is it considered a negative if someone is just a space eater?” In today’s pass happy NFL it is a negative because they aren’t on the field enough. I used the Brandon Spikes comparison for that because I think it’s valid. You HAVE to be a factor on passing downs.

Also, I’m not sure that Star can’t be. I don’t think that he is just some big slug in the middle. I think he can be useful on passing downs.

If the space eater is part of shutting down the run for 3 quarters and helping with a 14 lead by doing his job then I see very little negative about it. 

I also dont know that he can’t be more. I just totally disagree that the role of a “plugger” still isn’t an important one. It would have been invaluable at times last year for the bills. I personally think if he comes in and sures up the run game and leaves space for Edmunds to hunt he’ll be worth every penny. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

QB Josh Allen has strong day as Bills battle in pads at training camp

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) - With the pads on for the first time in training camp, football was officially back in full swing at St. John Fisher College.

Bills head coach Sean McDermott said there would continue to be a steady rotation among the quarterbacks as the competition to win the starting job progressed on Saturday.

Rookie Josh Allen, but all accounts, had his most consistent day in the pocket, which included a nice touchdown to Kaelin Clay.

23 hours ago, TPS said:

1. An away game against a good defensive front to start. 

2. They play some very good teams in the first 8, so if he/they start poorly the haters will start the bust talk. 

3. A couple of bad games against those first good teams won’t be good for his psyche. 

4. He hasn’t seen anything close to nfl defenses, so better to watch and learn. 

My preference is they take the mahomes approach, let him start at the end of the season if they are out of contention. 

These are in no no particular order. Again, unless it’s no contest, which I doubt will happen. 

This ^^^^  This ^^^^  AND THIS ^^^^^^^^^

9 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Not necessarily a bad thing

TT would make an excellent back up QB to a team......and if AJM ends up being a guy that could come in case of injury and win you 3 games.....that is a good thing....

Right now I am predicting

Peterman being released or sent to practice squad if possible

AJM starting the season with Josh Allen taking over perm at some point

or Josh Allen just flat winning the job and AJM is here to back him up

I think if Allen wins the job. And it is close between Peterman and McCarron that Peterman makes the teak and McCarron is outright cut. 

15 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

CAPACCIO: Allen already a factor in QB race

Saturday was not only Josh Allen’s best day of training camp so far, but he was arguably the best quarterback on the field for the Bills.

And, once again for the second day in a row, the rookie got plenty of snaps with the first team offense against the starting defense.

Taking all of that in and looking at the big picture, it’s clear Allen is a legitimate option to become the team’s starter week one at the Baltimore Ravens. Of course there is still a long way to go and he hasn’t been perfect by any means, but to anyone watching practice, from fans in the stands to local or national media on the sidelines, there’s no doubting who the most naturally gifted QB is on the field every day.

For Allen to be taking reps with the first team already is somewhat surprising given that he was exclusively with the third string offense throughout OTAs and a minicamp.  Also, head coach Sean McDermott gave indications that’s how it would be to start training camp.

That was how it started. And lasted one day.

Sal must have a short memory (if not faulty) or maybe he was napping. Allen was not exclusively with the 3rd team throughout all of minicamp.

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

Sal must have a short memory (if not faulty) or maybe he was napping. Allen was not exclusively with the 3rd team throughout all of minicamp.

IIRC, Allen was with the #3 offense until the final day of minicamp.

19 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

IIRC, Allen was with the #3 offense until the final day of minicamp.

Spend more time actually reading all the tweets you post and you would know that Allen has had opportunities throughout with the ones.   

Allen saw some time with the ones, and according to McDermott, he’ll continue to see time with the first team “periodically” moving forward.

It’s been like this since the last OTA’s. 

9 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

If the space eater is part of shutting down the run for 3 quarters and helping with a 14 lead by doing his job then I see very little negative about it. 

I also dont know that he can’t be more. I just totally disagree that the role of a “plugger” still isn’t an important one. It would have been invaluable at times last year for the bills. I personally think if he comes in and sures up the run game and leaves space for Edmunds to hunt he’ll be worth every penny. 

Even if he is helping shut down the run he’s playing 1 down. If they get a stop on 1st and 10 at the LOS the guys strictly playing the run are off the field. While he is certainly helping the team it is in a limited capacity. He’s playing 1/3 of the snaps at that point. You need to be able to do more than one thing in sports in 2018. That holds especially true for a guy that signed the contract that he did. I have hope that he can be more than a space eater. You can find a 1 down space eater for WAY less than Star so he needs to be more.

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Even if he is helping shut down the run he’s playing 1 down. If they get a stop on 1st and 10 at the LOS the guys strictly playing the run are off the field. While he is certainly helping the team it is in a limited capacity. He’s playing 1/3 of the snaps at that point. You need to be able to do more than one thing in sports in 2018. That holds especially true for a guy that signed the contract that he did. I have hope that he can be more than a space eater. You can find a 1 down space eater for WAY less than Star so he needs to be more.

We agree on thinking he has the potential to be more than that. We just disagree on how valuable a big piece of meat clogging up the drain can be. No big deal though. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Spend more time actually reading all the tweets you post and you would know that Allen has had opportunities throughout with the ones.   

Allen saw some time with the ones, and according to McDermott, he’ll continue to see time with the first team “periodically” moving forward.

It’s been like this since the last OTA’s. 

I can't comment on how much time a guy spends reading tweets

I believe it is correct that Allen didn't see time with the 1's until the last day of spring OTAs

I recall a lot of reporter questions about that during the spring and a non-committal McDermott.

Then yes, once he saw a bit of time with the 1s he continued to see a bit through minicamp.

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

Correct

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I can't comment on how much time a guy spends reading tweets

I believe it is correct that Allen didn't see time with the 1's until the last day of spring OTAs

I recall a lot of reporter questions about that during the spring and a non-committal McDermott.

Then yes, once he saw a bit of time with the 1s he continued to see a bit through minicamp.

Correct

He got minimal time with the ones 3 maybe 4 snaps which increased ever so slightly. 

I recall this because I followed up on people’s comments that JA was already # 2 on the depth chart. 

The Bills App and Google are useful tools.  

19 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I know what you mean, but as an aside, when did it become bad for an interior defensive lineman to "only" be a "space eater"???

That's kind of the point....eat space and don't get pushed out of that space to create a hole.

Ted Washington was an excellent space eater for us.  Jeff Wright not so much.

With the emphasis on the pass game the past 20 years there seems to be a premium placed on DT's to be a bigger force on the pass rush. Whereas in the past DT's were main there to clog up running lanes and push the pocket. There also seems to be a thought in the current NFL that big-time run stuffing DT's are "easier" to find than guys that can rush the passer up the middle.

I don't necessarily agree with that logic but that's what people around the league think. DT is becoming more of a pass rush position in recent years and given that the interior pass rush is effective that won't be changing anytime soon. I personally think that in a 4-3 having a space eater like Star is effective. Run defense up the middle is important but also having a smart DT that knows how to slide around and take up double teams like Star does is also important for the pass rush and to keep players off of the line backer. A lot of what Star does won't show up on advanced metrics or in the stat sheet but it will show up in how improved the rush defense is up the middle and how well the LB's play.