Bills' 2018 Training Camp Day 3 - First Day in Pads

Link to McDermott's Presser: https://www.rochesterfirst.com/live

WGR Audio: 7-28: Sean McDermott (12:53)

McDermott: "I Like Watching Those Battles" (12:29)

HC Sean McDermott talks about the first day of padded practice, Kyle Williams, the wide receiver battle and more.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Prediction for first fight? I’ll go Wyatt Teller & Rickey Hatley.

That didn’t take long.

Give Allen as many opportunities as possible to take the job.  I think that's the right approach given who the "competition' is.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Give Allen as many opportunities as possible to take the job.  I think that's the right approach given who the "competition' is.

Unless it’s not even close, I’d rather see AJ (or peterman) initially take the reins to start the year. 

• Like (+1) 3

1. An away game against a good defensive front to start. 

2. They play some very good teams in the first 8, so if he/they start poorly the haters will start the bust talk. 

3. A couple of bad games against those first good teams won’t be good for his psyche. 

4. He hasn’t seen anything close to nfl defenses, so better to watch and learn. 

My preference is they take the mahomes approach, let him start at the end of the season if they are out of contention. 

These are in no no particular order. Again, unless it’s no contest, which I doubt will happen. 

• Like (+1) 9

9 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

What's the rationale?

I agree with the point that Allen should be the clear leader if he's going to start.  If it's close, I'd go with AJ.

Rationale?  If it's close, that means it's hard to tell who's better.   If it's hard to tell who's better, it means that Allen won't be giving you more on the field than AJ.  AJ has experience, which means he's less likely to make big mistakes.   He's also less likely to melt down if something goes wrong.   I'd let Allen watch from the bench and continue to get a feel for the league.  Then, later in the season I'd consider going to Allen (unless AJ is really lighting it up and the Bills are winning).   

Time will come for Allen.   

Of course, that's assuming AJ is the other option.  If Allen is clearly better than AJ and a push with Nate, I'm starting Allen.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree with the point that Allen should be the clear leader if he's going to start.  If it's close, I'd go with AJ.

Rationale?  If it's close, that means it's hard to tell who's better.   If it's hard to tell who's better, it means that Allen won't be giving you more on the field than AJ.  AJ has experience, which means he's less likely to make big mistakes.   He's also less likely to melt down if something goes wrong.   I'd let Allen watch from the bench and continue to get a feel for the league.  Then, later in the season I'd consider going to Allen (unless AJ is really lighting it up and the Bills are winning).   

Of course, that's assuming AJ is the other option.  If Allen is clearly better than AJ and a push with Nate, I'm starting Allen.

AJ has minimal experience and we really don't know what that translates to in terms of mistakes or melting down.  At any rate, I don't want this to turn into another QB competition thread as we already have several active.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

What's the rationale?

I cant answer for him, but I can see why some would rather him sit for a few weeks if not the entire season.  Our OL and WRs are GARBAGGIO.  I hate to say it, but I think it’s inevitble:  Kelvins knee is going to get smacked and he’s either going to be out or hobbled all year.  Why? Because he’s 6’5 250 and everyone is going to hammer him on his knees.  It’s the only logical way to tackle him.  Once he is out, our WRs will be among the worst in NFL history. Our OL has a chance to fair.  It also has a chance to be among the worst in the league.  A rookie QB with no WRs and no OL is just a bad idea imo.  David Carr 2.0.  Add the fact that we will be playing several very tough games early on either vs good defenses or on the road.  It’s a tough sitch for any QB, let alone a rookie that played vs weak teams in college and didn’t fair very well vs them.  I really hope he isn’t the starter vs the Vikings.  That game has the makings of a disaster.

If Foster (or another WR/s) proves to be a playmaker and the OL gels in preseason,  we could be singing a different song, but that’s best case scenario.

Do you not see those points?  It’s very easy to say that we should start the best QB, but whether or not that’s the best idea for his progression are two totally different takes.  I feel they should do what is best for Josh Allen’s development, rather than what’s best for 2018.  Now, what’s best for his progression is a complete unknown as each QB is different, but having a bad OL and WR unit is a bad way to start a kids career.  Carson Wentz had an OL, a good scheme and solid playmakers to go along with a Jim Schwartz led D.  Allen doesn’t have that.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

AJ has minimal experience and we really don't know what that translates to in terms of mistakes or melting down.  At any rate, I don't want this to turn into another QB competition thread as we already have several active.

Ok, last counter point then. While his experience is "minimal," he has watched and learned, and he's started a playoff game in which he brought them back to the cusp of a victory but for the stupid flagrant foul on the D. Again, the argument here is you only start Allen if the competition is not close.

31 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Agreed. Unless Allen is the clear winner let experience start. If you look at our tough early schedule with so many road games. Why throw a rookie into that? If we are struggling offensively at the bye then put Allen in. If the team has a good record at that point continue with whoever is starting. Allen’s time will come! Injury to the starter may even be the reason. Just my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If Benjamin is on the same schedule as me...he probably went back to the locker room to drop a deuce.  9:30 for me every morning.

Good post-dump post right there Royale. I do my best posting mid-deuce I find....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It’s warm up drills Bove.  Let’s hold off the petty criticism for actual game play settings like 7 on 7 and 11 on 11.

Strap in, it’s only just begun. Every little thing is going to be scrutinized. Ideally, you’d like to see your franchise QB throwing darts in warm ups.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1